Answered Denon AVC-A1SR

vm1451

Established Member
Reaction score
What's a realistic figure for one of these nowadays? Got one in Champagne finish, (along with a DVD-A1 also in Champagne), that I'm looking to sell. Both fully working and in very good condition with boxes, manuals and remotes.

Sadly, I doubt you'd get much more than £250 for an A1SR these days, if that. Shame, as it's a great AV Amp.

Thanks for the reply fella, figured it wouldn't be a huge amount. Was offered £150 which I thought was a bit mean though!

If I keep it, can I connect an Oppo 203 to it? Fully understand that the amp won't support HDMI but will I get full sound capability if I connect with optical or coax?

You'll only get Dolby Digital and/or DTS if you connect via optical/coaxial. If you want Dolby True HD etc then you'd need to connect the analog outputs of the Oppo to the External Decoder Inputs of the Denon. That's a bit of a faff as it's six (or eight) extra cables.

To be honest, I'd just bite the bullet, sell it and put the money towards a newer AVR with HDMI.

Last edited:
Figured that would be the case! Been looking at an RX-A3060...........

Me neither so wondering if I should do before placing an order.

Am I reading caution between your lines? :)

Am I reading caution between your lines? :)

Some. The A1SR has a very nice tonal quality to it so I'd definitely have a listen to newer AVR's to see which of them you prefer. For example, newer Denons seem a fair bit 'brighter/forward' sounding than the older models. I replaced my previous Denon A1XV (which sounded different to my Denon KA1SE) with a Marantz SR7010 and that is definitely brighter despite Marantz being a supposedly warmer sounding AVR.

Not really sure where Yamaha fall in terms of tone these days as it's been a while since I owned one.

Thanks for your input bud, appreciate it.

The other decision I need to make is if I need an Oppo 203 or go for something like the Panasonic 900. Tv isn't 4k so not sure for me the Oppo is worth the extra spend.

Thanks for your input bud, appreciate it.

The other decision I need to make is if I need an Oppo 203 or go for something like the Panasonic 900. Tv isn't 4k so not sure for me the Oppo is worth the extra spend.

I still have a 1080p plasma so opted for the Panny UB700 due to it's excellent HDR to SDR Conversion. Did consider the UB900 but doubted I'd ever use it's analog outputs and I thought the Oppo was too expensive at the time.

I still have a 1080p plasma so opted for the Panny UB700 due to it's excellent HDR to SDR Conversion. Did consider the UB900 but doubted I'd ever use it's analog outputs and I thought the Oppo was too expensive at the time.

Yup, the Oppo is expensive which is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I was trying to future proof somewhat but am starting to think this is probably a waste of time and money!

Connectivity - what are you lacking at present and keep in mind that 2018 will see the arrival of New Connectivity ‘Features’ as outlined by the HDMI 2.1 hardware Spec!

Joe

There is no HDMI input on my amplifier as you have identified. However in my opinion waiting for the "next thing" when it comes to electronics is not a valid argument. nine times out fo ten as soon as something is bought, something else comes along!
Having said that I am so confused by whats available that I'm fast drawing the conclusion to stick with what I have!! Auditioning a 3060 is not possible as there is nowhere local to me that has one, am I right in thinking that it is superceded by the 3070?

Agreed that waiting can sometimes be a fruitless exercise - just seems with the age of your AVR and a new HDMI standard being so close that waiting until 2018 models are released is not that long a wait.

If your AVR is working I can’t see that using Multi-channel analogue audio is such a hassle if you wish to access HD Audio from a suitable UHD Player.

Joe

So what would I need in the way of cable/interconnect to do this?

For 5.1 you simply require six RCA to RCA cables between the Source and the AVR - a decent set of 1.0m cables will cost you around £50.00.

Joe

Ah, that is what Jase was reffering to earlier then, I misunderstood. In that case I'll stick with the amp and move the DVD-A1 on, although I guess that is also worthless!!

Ah, that is what Jase was reffering to earlier then, I misunderstood. In that case I'll stick with the amp and move the DVD-A1 on, although I guess that is also worthless!!

Yes, that's what I was referring to. I say a bit of a faff but it's only that from a cabling point of view. The A1SR has DSP processing on it's External Inputs so you can take advantage of bass management etc if the analog outputs of the Oppo are limited in any way.

Cool beans. So best places to get cables from these days? Would be nice if I can get 0.5-0.6m.

Cool beans. So best places to get cables from these days? Would be nice if I can get 0.5-0.6m.

Amazon have a decent selection. I use Mogami cables between my AVR and power amps. Good cables and not ridiculous prices.

Mark-Grant or drop me a note - we can make them up at whatever length you require using VanDamme cable.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom