Denon AVC-X6500H 11.2 AV Amplifier Review & Comments

So if you had to choose which speakers to put the higher quality speakers would you choose side surround or rear surrounds? The 8040 towers have 8 inch powered subs, my 8040 surround bookshelves are damn nice speakers but no where near the quality of the towers.
I've never had the comfort of room to place towers as surrounds, British homes tend to be a lot smaller than that found on the other side of the pond. If you have that luxury then certainly put the better speakers in the surround position. Even for film they will still carry a lot more information than rear surrounds.

If placed perfectly no speaker should really draw attention to itself unless there is a particular bit of audio information passed intentionally to that speaker. Everything should flow and surround you. SACD is somewhat different but even then most of the information is still delivered by the front speakers for vocals with the surrounds giving instrumentation or reverb.

I have an LG oled and I see that when I mute the amp, I get the lg mute icon on the right, which moves about - good but, in the bottom left I get a stark black and white mute icon from the amp which just sits in one fixed place and dies not go away. Anyone else noticed this, can it be removed?

I raised this as an issue with Denon support - this was the answer I got, which does not work _ if I turn it off it disappears, turn it on it comes back

This is indicating a problem with the video generation. If you toggle video conversion off and on again does it restore this to normal functionality for you?
VIDEO > OUTPUT SETTINGS > VIDEO CONVERSION > OFF > ON
If this does not work can you please let us know which version of firmware the AVR is on? ( in the GENERAL > INFORMATION menu )

I raised this as an issue with Denon support - this was the answer I got, which does not work _ if I turn it off it disappears, turn it on it comes back

This is indicating a problem with the video generation. If you toggle video conversion off and on again does it restore this to normal functionality for you?
VIDEO > OUTPUT SETTINGS > VIDEO CONVERSION > OFF > ON
If this does not work can you please let us know which version of firmware the AVR is on? ( in the GENERAL > INFORMATION menu )

Go into the receiver's DISPLAY configurations and set the VOLUME setting to OFF. This should prevent the receiver's mute icon from being displayed onscreen, but will also prevent the receiver's onscreen volume indicator from also being shown.

Go into the receiver's DISPLAY configurations and set the VOLUME setting to OFF. This should prevent the receiver's mute icon from being displayed onscreen, but will also prevent the receiver's onscreen volume indicator from also being shown.
Sadly does not work, volume bar does not show on screen but mute icon still there, fixed, unmoving, does not go away. Currently discussing with Denon technical, who say it should not persist. Tried full reset, still same

Last edited:
I am interested in the Denon AVC-C6500H amp but the deciding factor will be it's performance on vocals. My top of the range, a few years ago, Yamaha RXA3060 has always disappointed in it's clarity of reproduction of a voice but I have previously put this down to the source and my old ears but the same voice in a cinema is fine. So, I'm considering 7.1.4 instead of my current 5.1.4 and have heard that the Denon is better for vocal clarity. If anyone has experience of the two makes I would value their comments.

I am interested in the Denon AVC-C6500H amp but the deciding factor will be it's performance on vocals. My top of the range, a few years ago, Yamaha RXA3060 has always disappointed in it's clarity of reproduction of a voice but I have previously put this down to the source and my old ears but the same voice in a cinema is fine. So, I'm considering 7.1.4 instead of my current 5.1.4 and have heard that the Denon is better for vocal clarity. If anyone has experience of the two makes I would value their comments.
Vocal clarity can be as much down to the speakers and their position, especially the centre, in the room. To blame a receiver, any receiver in isolation, could be a mistake. However, I have a 6200 and vocal, dialogue, is very clear depending of course on source.

If you mean vocals on stereo music then I'm not so sure and found my 6200 somewhat wanting and as such have a Rega stereo amp in HT mode for 5.1.2 and use it alone for a far better music performance.

Ensure you also check your settings. Far to many people listen in stereo with Audyssey or the Yamaha equivalent still switched on. This is the equivalent of putting a blanket over the speakers that can significantly compromise the stereo.

It can also cause issues in a movie config, which is why some only tweak for distance and not the sound the speakers are going to make.

Check those if you mean stereo playback.

No, its the vocals in surround mode with films where it is difficult to understand the speech. mainly, I think, because of a poor balance between the frequencies. I have tries to improve this with the eq adjustments but the system used by Yamaha is ludicrous and does not work effectively. Speech in the cinema does not suffer this so why does it in the home. I have tried different center speakers, but to no avail.

No, its the vocals in surround mode with films where it is difficult to understand the speech. mainly, I think, because of a poor balance between the frequencies. I have tries to improve this with the eq adjustments but the system used by Yamaha is ludicrous and does not work effectively. Speech in the cinema does not suffer this so why does it in the home. I have tried different center speakers, but to no avail.
How is your centre positioned? Is it sitting in a cabinet? Is it set too low? Do you have reflective surfaces, ie, wood floor underneath it? Post a pic of it in position.

1. Normally in the cabinet, inclined upwards a little, but no difference if placed on top with or without isolation. Walls and ceiling are plaster and the floor is thick underlay and carpet, but the point is, given the location will be the same for either amplifier which gives the best clarity with vocals. R0014345.JPG

There are a few issues with your speaker placements that wouldn't nescessarilly result in the best audio performance, not just with your centre speaker but also in relation to where you've placed you front left and right speakers.

The centre would be much better placed on top of the cabinet as opposed to having it enclosed on the shelf. If you do locate it on top of the cabinet then it would be best to locate its front level with the edge of the front of the cabinet in order to avoid the top of the cabinet reflecting the speaker's output upwards.

Your 2 floorstanding front speakers would probably be better if you pulled them out of the corners and a little further out from the front wall. No speaker likes being stuck in a corner and floorstanders especially perform better the more space you give them to breath.

I'm guessing that you've located the speakers where you've placed them to accomodate a drop down PJ screen?

Last edited:
I agree with Dante's comments regarding the left and right although you may be compromised with the screen unless it an acoustic one. The centre's position certainly has a poor position and is no doubt a big problem with your dialogue. It, should, again has been pointed out, be positioned on the top of the cabinet with the front sitting proud of the edge by 30mm or so. Again though this may be compromised by your screens dimensions.

You are both right. My screen determines the front speakers distance from the side walls and they are 12 inches from the back wall and I like the sound from them so no problem. I have used the center speaker well forward on top of the cabinet but it does not eliminate the problem. Again, it is the difference I may experience to the vocals if using the Denon instead of the Yamaha that I am interest in so discussion about speaker positioning is not relevant to my query. I did think someone would have compared the two makes but it seems not so I will have to travel 40 miles to my nearest dealer and hope to be able to listen to both.

I do thank you for your contributions and will let you know how I get on when i have decided what to do.

I was going to go for the Denon, but have recently been looking at the Pioneer SCLX901.Which is better?

Just bought one of these beauts!Just need a quick bit of help on a few settings, if that's ok?

Do I need the following on or off?

MultEQ XT32
Dynamic EQ

Dynamic Volume
Audyssey LFC

Cheers!

That was quick!Thanks!

Now I've calibrated, I've noticed the bass is a bit low.Is it ok to raise the subwoofer levels(x2) after calibration?

Of course. You have it as you like it. I frequently adjust the base according to what I am watching but I do it on the speaker.

That was quick!Thanks!

Now I've calibrated, I've noticed the bass is a bit low.Is it ok to raise the subwoofer levels(x2) after calibration?
The bass should sound balanced rather than boomy after calibration, but if you like a little extra kick there's no harm in turning the subs up a notch or two.

1. Normally in the cabinet, inclined upwards a little, but no difference if placed on top with or without isolation. Walls and ceiling are plaster and the floor is thick underlay and carpet, but the point is, given the location will be the same for either amplifier which gives the best clarity with vocals. View attachment 1141533
May I ask where you got your cabinet?

Need some advice folks.I've run set up several times, but the sound is, shall I say, 'empty'.Thin sounding.I've got q-Acoustics Concept 40 floor standers, Kilpsch upfiring Atmos speakers, Klipsch 34C centre, Q Acoustics 3020i's as rears and surrounds and 2 BK Electronics P12-300SB-DF subs.One sub is in the left front corner of the room, which is rectangular, the other is inthe back right corner.The bass doesn't seem to crossover to the other speakers, making general sounds and dialogue sound harsh.
Audyssey sets the crossovers like this-Mains-40hz, Atmos, 60hzCentre 60, Surrounds and rears, 60, subs 120hz.
All enhancements are off.

Any advice gratefully received.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom