Denon AVC-X6500H 11.2 AV Amplifier Review & Comments

Firstly, the sub has no crossover setting on the AV receiver so I assume that you mean the LPF of LFE filter? This should always be left set to 120Hz given that this is the ceiling for Dolby's LFE channel. There's nothing to be gained by setting it any higher and you'd risk losing aspects of the LFE channel if you set it below 120Hz.

Set all your speakers as being SMALL and then designate each of the floor layer speakers with a crossover no lower than 80Hz. I'd personally suggest setting the Atmos speakers no lower than 150Hz, mainly because lower frequencies tend not to be reflected so are better off being sent to the sub as opposed to being sent to your ceiling.

You may find the following article of interest:

as well as this document:

Last edited:
Also whilst many say NEVER turn any enhancements on give them a try. We all like different sounds and what you want from the system might be different to everyone else.

It is your system in your house so set things up and try to get what you want to hear. 👍

Do you have 'settings, speakers, base, LFE+main, LPF for LFE 120Hz' set. This cured my first impression of weekness and the sound is now full and the surrorund effect is much better than my Yamaha was. HOWEVER the Dialogue Enhancer and Tone Controls are useless and attempts to give a more treble sound using the EQ settings for the centre speaker seem to do nothing. I have high frequency loss hearing so wanted to up the treble a bit but to no avail. Any advice?

On/Off/Off/Off
I know the thread is old...but, why do you think Dynamic EQ should be off? While I've never seen a curve of what exactly it is doing, it seems to be similar to the Fletcher-Munson curves in the ubiquitous "Loudness" controls of years ago.

I know the thread is old...but, why do you think Dynamic EQ should be off? While I've never seen a curve of what exactly it is doing, it seems to be similar to the Fletcher-Munson curves in the ubiquitous "Loudness" controls of years ago.
Its more of a personal thing than just say set it to off. Iv tried it on and off over the years.
It not only boosts bass frequencys but also boosts surrounds, to the point were they over power my fronts

Got it. As a kid, my dad and I loved it, my mom hated it (Turn down the bass!!!)

I probably won't need it once I get a new Denon where I will be able to use the MultiXT32 app on my phone to tune things like I want.

DEQ compresses the audio too much in an effort to bring the highs and lows closer. Horrible.

DEQ compresses the audio too much in an effort to bring the highs and lows closer. Horrible.
Compresses? I was under the impression it was similar to the "Loudness" controls on most receivers back in the day based on the Fletcher Munson curves. That basically, our ears became less sensitive to low frequencies as volume level dropped. I thought that Dynamic EQ was a frequency response only. Sounds like you are implying it changes dynamic range?

Compresses? I was under the impression it was similar to the "Loudness" controls on most receivers back in the day based on the Fletcher Munson curves. That basically, our ears became less sensitive to low frequencies as volume level dropped. I thought that Dynamic EQ was a frequency response only. Sounds like you are implying it changes dynamic range?
It does sound as though it does interfere with the dynamic range as it certainly loses detail as you turn the volume down DEQ boosts the bass. Mids and dialogue seem compressed. I suppose it's got it's place if you have children asleep or have neighbours but I couldn't, nor need to live with it.

Not everyones' hearing is the same and neither is the room that we're listening in. DEQ may be fine for others and their environment so it's not as cut and dried as just a person's hearing being affected.

I think you may be referring to DV. Dynamic Volume. Its job is to specifically decrease dynamic range by increasing low-level sounds and decreasing loud sounds. Reducing the dynamic range makes you less annoying to neighbors. It can also be used when listening to very low levels where you are not trying to disturb people in the next room. I always have Dynamic Volume off

I think you may be referring to DV. Dynamic Volume. Its job is to specifically decrease dynamic range by increasing low-level sounds and decreasing loud sounds. Reducing the dynamic range makes you less annoying to neighbors. It can also be used when listening to very low levels where you are not trying to disturb people in the next room. I always have Dynamic Volume off
Been the subject of many threads over the years.

I just bought this receiver and set up a 5.1.4 system, I have kef e301 for main 5 speakers and Boston acoustics sound ware Xs for atmos and an svs sb3000 sub. The sound doesn’t feel right, I think some frequencies are missing or not loud enough. I can see 2 crossover settings one in speaker configuration where I’ve set e301 at 90 hz and sound ware to 150 but in the bass menu it’s set to 120hz and even at 150hz. Can anyone help please?

Also I be the Q90r Samsung tv but playing a 4k disc on Xbox doesn’t play in hdr when running through the receiver. How do I fix that? 😳

If talking about the LPF of LFE setting then this is a L ow Pass Filter that only applies to the LFE channel if present. It has no effect upon the crossovers or the frequencies associated with the passive speakers. You'd leave it set to 120Hz because this is the ceiling for the LFE channel associated with Dolby encoded formats. THere's no benefit associated with setting it higher than 120Hz and if set lower, you'd be discarding and losing aspects of the LFE channel.

If talking about the LPF of LFE setting then this is a L ow Pass Filter that only applies to the LFE channel if present. It has no effect upon the crossovers or the frequencies associated with the passive speakers. You'd leave it set to 120Hz because this is the ceiling for the LFE channel associated with Dolby encoded formats. THere's no benefit associated with setting it higher than 120Hz and if set lower, you'd be discarding and losing aspects of the LFE channel.

Ok thanks I’ll leave it at 120hz but what about hdr? Does this receiver not support hdr? Connecting the Xbox directly to tv it plays in hdr but through the receiver it’s gone the picture looks very dull and the tv shows no hdr

Ok thanks I’ll leave it at 120hz but what about hdr? Does this receiver not support hdr? Connecting the Xbox directly to tv it plays in hdr but through the receiver it’s gone the picture looks very dull and the tv shows no hdr
Have you set the 4K Signal Format to Enhanced. All other video processing, I/p Scaler should be off. The 6500 has no problems with HDR pass through. As for your audio problems I've answered that in the other thread you asked the question on.

Have you set the 4K Signal Format to Enhanced. All other video processing, I/p Scaler should be off. The 6500 has no problems with HDR pass through. As for your audio problems I've answered that in the other thread you asked the question on.

Its set to enhanced Xbox is happy and shows all Video settings correct but still no hdr going to tv Through the receiver.

Can the 6500 do Dolby Atmos 9.x.2?

yes, but I don’t think it I s getting the DTSX pro update which will make the wides virtually redundant.

if you want 9 base speakers, you need to be looking at the 6700 really.

yes, but I don’t think it I s getting the DTSX pro update which will make the wides virtually redundant.

if you want 9 base speakers, you need to be looking at the 6700 really.
Thanks for the reply Mark.

Why does it need DTSX pro? Can you not just use Dolby Atmos for the wides?
If the 6500 can't do it, what about the 8500?

Thanks for the reply Mark.

Why does it need DTSX pro? Can you not just use Dolby Atmos for the wides?
If the 6500 can't do it, what about the 8500?

hardly any atmos content actually uses more than 7 base speakers, again, this is changing when Dolby react to DTSX pro with their upmixer mixing to more channels than the current 7 it is limited to, but id doubt the 6500 will get this update either.

the 8500 will be getting the DTSX pro update.

this also means that all standard 5.1 and 7.1 tracks will be able to be upmixed to utilise the front wides using the neural x upmixer.

hardly any atmos content actually uses more than 7 base speakers, again, this is changing when Dolby react to DTSX pro with their upmixer mixing to more channels than the current 7 it is limited to, but id doubt the 6500 will get this update either.
Excellent, thank you.

the 8500 will be getting the DTSX pro update.
I thought so. I'll keep the 8500 on my list. I guess you'd expect the 8500 would also get the Dolby upmixer update (although maybe it's a little early to say)?

I'm watching through the Expert Audio Series from Anthony Grimani on YT, which appears to have been seriously undervalued IMO. When asked what he'd choose between 7.x.4 and 9.x.2 he said the latter (which I knew he would having followed the rest of his videos). He said so on the basis of discussions with professionals who make the studio mixes, and want to utilise the wides.

Excellent, thank you.

I thought so. I'll keep the 8500 on my list. I guess you'd expect the 8500 would also get the Dolby upmixer update (although maybe it's a little early to say)?

I'm watching through the Expert Audio Series from Anthony Grimani on YT, which appears to have been seriously undervalued IMO. When asked what he'd choose between 7.x.4 and 9.x.2 he said the latter (which I knew he would having followed the rest of his videos). He said so on the basis of discussions with professionals who make the studio mixes, and want to utilise the wides.

early days with wides for me so far, and only using some cheap speakers until my new arendals arrive.

I’ve already got the DTSX pro update, so wides are in full use.

It does make my front soundstage even more seamless, panning around the room for something like gravity is absolutely stunning.

I think the wides are pretty subtle overall, but I think it will be a worthwhile upgrade.

9.x.2 better than 7.x.4?

without the new updates I would say definitely not, with the new updates I can see are argument for both, but would probably go with 9.x.2

I would imagine that the 8500 will get the DSU update when it’s launched.

Do you have 'settings, speakers, base, LFE+main, LPF for LFE 120Hz' set. This cured my first impression of weekness and the sound is now full and the surrorund effect is much better than my Yamaha was. HOWEVER the Dialogue Enhancer and Tone Controls are useless and attempts to give a more treble sound using the EQ settings for the centre speaker seem to do nothing. I have high frequency loss hearing so wanted to up the treble a bit but to no avail. Any advice?

I agree. I have the same problem and need a more crisp sound and have tried to get it by upping the mid to high frequencies with the 'Tone Controls' or more properly described as frequency modifier and can hear no difference at all. even when I turn my adding high frequncy hearing aids on. does anyone know why this is so? Has anyone challenged Denon on this point?

hi there, i have one x6500, and i bought another set of clips 8ohm rated , i want to put a pair on each output, as per ay rated in 8ohm i assume it sound equal good and louder, will it make some damage to my denon,or im good to go, i have a 7.2.4 setup (11.2 in the denon menu) as i have 4 atmos in celling connected too, this are rated at 6ohm
i know i have to leave the 8 ohm setting alone, but im wondering if im better off as i am now, or if it will be better to have a pair of each, as to have a more surrounded effect :)
and the most important one is, will the denon be safe ? if i connect them in parallels ? so i will have the 7 part, as a 14 part :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom