Answered Denon AVR-2400H vs AVR-3400H and now the X4300H

meagabyte

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So ive been keeping my eye on these new amps as they came out and spent a fair bit of time going over the specs.
From what I can see the biggest difference is the 3400 has a tad more power, supports independent sub channels and has the MultiEQ XT32 Audyssey.
I'm not sure what warrants the price to double.
I really like the idea of two independent subs and having an EQ that will treat them as two different channels but not sure warrants the price hike.
Would welcome some thoughts on this.

Where do you get a doubling of the price from? The X2400 is $799 MSRP and the X3400 is $999 MSRP on the Denon website. I'd get the X3400 over the X2400 any day of the week and twice on Sunday's. The best Audyssey room correction , low frequency contain, full pre amp outputs, a 12 Volt trigger plus the analog to HDMI conversion.

Where do you get a doubling of the price from? The X2400 is $799 MSRP and the X3400 is $999 MSRP on the Denon website. I'd get the X3400 over the X2400 any day of the week and twice on Sunday's. The best Audyssey room correction , low frequency contain, full pre amp outputs, a 12 Volt trigger plus the analog to HDMI conversion.
In real money, OP is UK based as is this forum, a 2400 is £499, whilst the 3400 is £899. So almost double. However the 3300 is £520 or less which is well worth considering.

Places like HifiX and Richersounds were doing the 2400H for £499 vs £899 for the 3400H
But I have just seen the X4300H ( I know last years model) for £799 and its almost identical to the 3400H but without Dolby vision

In real money, OP is UK based as is this forum, a 2400 is £499, whilst the 3400 is £899. So almost double. However the 3300 is £520 or less which is well worth considering.
I started looking at the 3300W but without HEOS, independent subs or the XT32 audio correction it was ruled out for me.

Places like HifiX and Richersounds were doing the 2400H for £499 vs £899 for the 3400H
But I have just seen the X4300H ( I know last years model) for £799 and its almost identical to the 3400H but without Dolby vision
Get the 4300, it is a seriously good receiver and as such is excellent value. The 4300 will get the DV upgrade.

Get the 4300, it is a seriously good receiver and as such is excellent value. The 4300 will get the DV upgrade.
dam, now I need to spend time looking into a new amp haha.
So far it looks better apart from no Enhanced ARC but not sure if I would use that and going to start looking at threads and reviews as cant see if it supports ATMOS.

EDIT: it does 7.1.4 :)

Yeah sorry. I have AVforums in my Tapatalk feed and thought I was responding to an AVS Forums inquiry. Wouldn't pay double but I still prefer the X3400 feature wise. If you don't have hard to drive speakers or multiple subwoofers the benefits lessen a bit but XT32 still has more filters and a different algorithm for setting them over Audyssey XT. If it's double the price though I'd just get the X2400.

So far it looks better apart from no Enhanced ARC but not sure if I would use that and going to start looking at threads and reviews as cant see if it supports ATMOS.

The AVRX4300 includes the same support for both Atmos and DTS:X that you'd get from the newer models.

Also note that eARC is only of any use if the TV also has an eARC enabled input.

Yep if the OP is willing to bump then this is the most receiver for the least money. I just bought one myself yesterday. HEOS was a snap to set up as was the receiver itself.

It has Dolby Atmos and eArc has to be supported by your tv as well.

It has Dolby Atmos and eArc has to be supported by your tv as well.
recently bought a Sony XD9305 ( which oddly enough doesn't have DV :( )
Think ive found my next amp lol.

recently bought a Sony XD9305 ( which oddly enough doesn't have DV :( )
Think ive found my next amp lol.
Yeah I used to love my Sony's. Still buy their TV's though. Granted this is only my first day with my new receiver but I've been up all night long messing with it and everything has gone great. Had to make a few tweaks but the user interface is so much easier to use than I imagined. It's like I've owned this receiver for years not just one day, lol. Only gripe is I wish it had a second USB input in the back panel but I've made my USB stick work in the front by just leaving down the built in buttons cover plate. No biggie.

Even so, the AVRX4300 will be getting an update that will give it both Dolby Vision and HLG passthrough capabilities:
Ah good to know, looking at the Sony X800 which doesn't support DV and as my TV doesn't either it isn't a huge deal yet.

HDR FORMAT COMPATIBILITY
Yeah I used to love my Sony's. Still buy their TV's though. Granted this is only my first day with my new receiver but I've been up all night long messing with it and everything has gone great. Had to make a few tweaks but the user interface is so much easier to use than I imagined. It's like I've owned this receiver for years not just one day, lol. Only gripe is I wish it had a second USB input in the back panel but I've made my USB stick work in the front by just leaving down the built in buttons cover plate. No biggie.
what are you using the USB stick for? Ive got most of my rips on a NAS and play them through a WD TV Live ( needs updating I know lol)

what are you using the USB stick for? Ive got most of my rips on a NAS and play them through a WD TV Live ( needs updating I know lol)
Just for playing back my ripped music. 65 GB so far on a 119 GB Lexar Jumpdrive. Haven't gone all in with a NAS setup yet. Too lazy and my money's gone elsewhere lately, lol. Setting it all up to work with HEOS was super easy and fast though.

Just for playing back my ripped music. 65 Ggb so far on a 119Ggb Lexar Jumpdrive. Haven't gone all in with a NAS setup yet. Too lazy and my money's gone elsewhere lately, lol. Setting it all up to work with HEOS was super easy and fast though.
oh that's great to hear as I already have two H1s in the kitchen so was looking forward to seeing how they integrate.

So just to confirm, the 4300 is a 11.2 channel amp but its 9 powered channels.
so to use all 11 id need a power amp using the pre-outs?

So just to confirm, the 4300 is a 11.2 channel amp but its 9 powered channels.
so to use all 11 id need a power amp using the pre-outs?

Yes, you'd need to add 2 additional channels of external amplification if wanting a 7.1.4 setup. The most it can achieve without this is 7.1.2 using its own integral 9 channels of amplification.

Yes, you'd need to add 2 additional channels of external amplification if wanting a 7.1.4 setup. The most it can achieve without this is 7.1.2 using its own integral 9 channels of amplification.
think I read on the review ( might have been your comment in fact) that it will also do 5.1.4 out the box?
Only have 5.1 now and my couch is right up against the back wall so rear speakers aren't going to work for me yet. Need to invest in some high mounted or up-fireing speakers

think I read on the review ( might have been your comment in fact) that it will also do 5.1.4 out the box?
Only have 5.1 now and my couch is right up against the back wall so rear speakers aren't going to work for me yet. Need to invest in some high mounted or up-fireing speakers

Yes indeed, it will allow you to have any configuration that utilises no more than 9 channels out of the box. You can even opt for the paid upgrade for Auro 3D and have an Auro 3D 9.1 setup. THis would be like an Atmos 5.1.4 setup with the additional speakers mounted on the front and rear walls.

You can also use a better external stereo amp and power just the FL/FR speakers instead and when you assign this in the amp assign settings the mains internal amps are sent to power the Height 2 speakers in a 7.1.4 setup.

I was looking at that but with my current setup I'm not sure how I'm going to get high speakers without using up-fireing ones. Plus the added expense of another amp lol, am saving up for a second SVS PC-2000 sub.
Would these work as Atmos if placed above the TV were wall meets ceiling?
Prime Elevation

I was looking at that but with my current setup I'm not sure how I'm going to get high speakers without using up-fireing ones. Plus the added expense of another amp lol, am saving up for a second SVS PC-2000 sub.
Would these work as Atmos if placed above the TV were wall meets ceiling?
Prime Elevation

Yes, you could utilise those speakers within a 5.1.2 setup as front height speakers.

snapshot003.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom