Denon AVR-S950H HDMI Video Issue Solved

Fathernature59

Novice Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2019 Model Denon AVR-S950H which is a great receiver. Loud and proud! The receiver is hooked to a TCL 75R615. It’s replacing my trusty Denon AVR-E300 which I’ve had for a long time and has worked flawlessly. I needed a receiver with 4K inputs, so I purchased the new one since the old receiver was limited to 1080p inputs.

The issue I was having with the S950 was the video was very unstable and would randomly cut in and out to a black screen, stutter, lock up, or sometimes would simply go to a light grey snowy screen and lock into that screen until I restarted the receiver. I tried just about everything I could to stop this issue and nothing worked... I used the receiver’s built in HDMI analyzer which gave everything including the cables a “pass”, lowered HDMI output of the TV to 1.4, limited the input resolution max to 1080P, put quality cables on, turned on or off the ECO mode, etc. I was about to box up the receiver and get a refund.

Finally, I bypassed the “Video Mode” setting in the S950 menu, and voila! Problem solved. (Setup Menu-Video-Output Settings-Video Mode-Bypass) The video works flawlessly now, and I’m a happy camper. I hope some of the Denon techs read this thread so they can add a fix to the next firmware update.

The setup menu no longer shows on the TV Screen and the i/p Scaler is disabled with “Video Mode” bypassed, but that’s ok. This fix may also work with other recent Denon models having the same issue.

Attachments

• 167594C3-6EF0-43AB-ACC4-AFC15E434BD6.jpeg
    167594C3-6EF0-43AB-ACC4-AFC15E434BD6.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 132
I had a similar issue with the screen going black randomly for just a second. This was only seen when I was using the cable box input. I also found that disabling the i/p scaler function solved the issue. I now suspect that the TV and the receiver were both trying to upscale and the TV processor had an issue with the already scaled signal, and thus the TV would go black for a second. I disabled the scaler function in the processor and let the TV do the work. No more issue. I'd still like to really know the technical reason why if the signal going to the TV was already upscaled 4k that it would care when all other formatting of the picture signal should be the same.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom