Denon AVR-X2200W/AVR-X3200W Owners Thread

simonlewis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As i have just recently purchased the Denon AVR-X2200W reciever in the last few day's, i thought i would start an owners thread. :smashin:

You'd be hard pushed to find the receiver for less than its suggested retail price so early after its launch. Denon only supply Denon authorised retailers who are obliged to advertise products at the prices Denon allow them to. You may get a better deal by contacting the retailers yourself as opposed to looking for cheaper prices online? Make them an offer, you never know your luck :)

Seen one for £498 if that is of any help? :D

99% sure this will be the model I choose this year. It fills my needs for the UHD BD standard and has Atmos/DTS X that I would like to explore, I'm hoping and expecting that the uhd BD will have ATMOS/DTS X as standard going foward ( time will tell ).

I currently run the Onkyo 609 and although I see the Denon as an update to take advantage of said formats I do have a question on upgrade.

Audyssey, will the 2200 be a significant upgrade to the Audyssey calibration from my 609 ? This runs the multi EQ XT I believe but is it more of an update than upgrade ?

Hoping to run a 5.1.2 set up with.
Bowers and Wilkins M1 surrounds.
SVS SB2000 sub ( maybe the new XTZ range )
Cambridge Audio minx for Atmos.

I'm 99% sure this amp will the one so you fellas can fill out the 1% of doubt :).

UHD BD will not include DTS:X or Atmos as standard. There's no reason why the studios would adopt either wholesale just because of the launch of UHD BD. In fact, you'd be hard pushed to see much support being given fo UHD BD full stop. You don't need UHD BD to include the new object orientated formats so fail to see what the new disc based delivery system would have to do with the inclusion of these formats? The audio will have been mixed and authored in the exact same way has it would have been for HD Blu-ray and HD Blu-ray will still out sell UHD BD because there isn't going to be a huge uptake of the new UHD disc based system by consumers.

UHD BD will not include DTS:X or Atmos as standard. There's no reason why the studios would adopt either wholesale just because of the launch of UHD BD. In fact, you'd be hard pushed to see much support being given fo UHD BD full stop. You don't need UHD BD to include the new object orientated formats so fail to see what the new disc based delivery system would have to do with the inclusion of these formats? The audio will have been mixed and authored in the exact same way has it would have been for HD Blu-ray and HD Blu-ray will still out sell UHD BD because there isn't going to be a huge uptake of the new UHD disc based system by consumers.

My thinking was (I did put a disclaimer of sorts ) that a new format such as UHD BD would adopt the highest standards in audio quality (bells and whistles ) and I expect any atmos BD will also be avaliable to UHD BD. I'm no expert but I would expect this new standard to adopt the latest in sound and picture. It was a side note to my main question though so no worries :).

Maybe I should of gone with just this.

Audyssey, will the 2200 be a significant upgrade to the Audyssey calibration from my 609 ? This runs the multi EQ XT I believe but is it more of an update than upgrade ?

Same price point as when I purchased the 609 , update/upgrade for me Audyssey wise ?.

Here's an odd one. Plugged in an old Samsung Blu-ray player BDP1500 to try the Atmos encoded film Gravity. No sound, except on the front HDMI port. Tried all the rear inputs and no sound, tested them all with an xbox and a HTPC and they all work fine. Looked at every setting I can think of and can't find any reason the front port would be any different to the rear. It decodes Atmos brilliantly, sounds amazing but it's not very practical plugged in the front. Any ideas? Handshake issue?

Atmos encoded cntent has exhibited some strange behaviour on older players as a result of the seamless branching used during the authoring of the discs.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/dolby-atmos-old-blu-ray-players

Your issue doesn't appear to exhibit the symptoms associated with seamless branching though and there's no explanation as to why you can access the content via front HDMI input on your receiver? Maybe the player is detecting something its EDID is uncomfortable with in conjunction with the receiver other HDMI inputs and therefore prevented fro outputting the audio?

Every input has its own configurations on your receiver. I'd look at the configurations associated with the front HDMI input and compare them to how you've configured the other HDMI inputs in order to ascertain whether or not there are differences that explain the receiver's behaviour?

I just thought i would bump this thread. :)

But they say 4K upscaling up to 60fps, which isn't true:)

how does this compare with the marantz 6010? still cant find much info or reviews on the marantz thought they'd start appearing by now since they are released next month

received my x2200 today and have started to set it up.
One possibly naive question should I be able to view a second television connected to the second hdmi output at the same time as one connected to hdmi 1. I recognise it would not come from a different input but am getting no signal on my second set

received my x2200 today and have started to set it up.
One possibly naive question should I be able to view a second television connected to the second hdmi output at the same time as one connected to hdmi 1. I recognise it would not come from a different input but am getting no signal on my second set

Yes you can output the same video signal via both HDMI outputs simultaneously. The HDMI video output setting within the HDMI settings of the receiver should be set to AUTO by default. This setting would result in both outputs outputting a signal. Also set the RESOLUTION setting in the OUTPUT SETTINGS to AUTO so that the receiver outputs the video compatible with both TVs. The lesser capable TV will determine the resolution being output to both sets. A point worth mentioning is that you will not be able to passthrough audio without bypassing the receiver's own handling of the audio. The purpose of the two outputs isn't to allow for an additional HDMI zone, but to facilitate the connection of both a PJ and a TV to the receiver for use in conjunction with it within the same room.

What are the video capabilities of both your TVs? How long is the HDMI cable going to the TV not displaying the signal and is it a high speed HDMI cable?

Last edited:
Does RS do this AVR as I've been unable to find it on the site ?

Yes you can output the same video signal via both HDMI outputs simultaneously. The HDMI video output setting within the HDMI settings of the receiver should be set to AUTO by default. This setting would result in both outputs outputting a signal. Also set the RESOLUTION setting in the OUTPUT SETTINGS to AUTO so that the receiver outputs the video compatible with both TVs. The lesser capable TV will determine the resolution being output to both sets. A point worth mentioning is that you will not be able to passthrough audio without bypassing the receiver's own handling of the audio. The purpose of the two outputs isn't to allow for an additional HDMI zone, but to facilitate the connection of both a PJ and a TV to the receiver for use in conjunction with it within the same room.

What are the video capabilities of both your TVs? How long is the HDMI cable going to the TV not displaying the signal and is it a high speed HDMI cable?

Thank you for that.
I think it was the length of the HDMI cable as hdmi 2 was ok when I attached it to a shorter cable.
The cable was a good one but was across 3 rooms.
Have gone back to splitting my sky cable and all seems to be fine.
I had not really thought you would get no audio from the second connector anyway so whole plan was a non starter.

So far very impressed with the amp the sound clarity compared to my old (almost antique) yamaha is amazing.

Last edited:
Just a quick note to thank dante01 for introducing me to the avrx2200w. I just picked one up today from RS that I reserved last week. I am just setting it up right know so may come back with questions.

Oh yes, I know there are a few of you still wanting to get your hands on one and looking for discounts as well. I picked mine up for £429 form RS. I bought a Samsung 75incher from them about a month ago so I leaned on them and got the price down to £429 with a managers discount. Give it a try. Will upload an image of the receipt when I get on a pc

I will be setting this up with an HTPC, PS3, Sky box, Virgin tivo and a Samsung 75JU7000 TV. I will bring all these devices together with a logitech harmony one ultimate remote. Will come back with experiences with all said devices and the harmony remote.

I am currently watching Zero Dark Thirty on channel 4 on my amp it's saying dolby digital + dolby stereo (at the same time) i've noticed this before, is this normal ?

Oh yes, I know there are a few of you still wanting to get your hands on one and looking for discounts as well. I picked mine up for £429 form RS. I bought a Samsung 75incher from them about a month ago so I leaned on them and got the price down to £429 with a managers discount. Give it a try. Will upload an image of the receipt when I get on a pc

Good to know as RS are always keen and willing to deal . Didn't have one in store for me to have a demo last week but hopefully this week they will have some in and will phone me for a demo.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom