Denon AVR-X2200W/AVR-X3200W Owners Thread

I got mine from creative audio for £429 with next day delivery excellent service and very friendly helpfull sales guy.
Tried RS but the best price they could give me as a member of their VIP club was £480.

I'm seriously considering getting this amp. How are you finding it so far in terms of sound and ease of use? I'm a fan of Yamaha amps and would like to know how it compares.

I just purchased this amp. My Sony 550 packed in after approx 5/6 yrs and I checked out review after review contemplating just upgrading to the Sony 1050 but kept looking at the Denon 2100 and then the 2200 as I thought to myself if you are going to upgrade your Panasonic 55 inch tv in the next year [its about 6/7 years old and has never failed me] then buy a receiver that will do the job if upgrading to a 4k tv.

I bought the 2200 from Creative Audio on Monday was delivered today Tuesday. Very helpful staff cant fault them. Well recommended.

The 2200 arrived around 4 pm and by 4.30 pm I had connected the speaker wires and started the calibration. After the first test the amp found fault with my centre speaker and after I realised my wiring was wrong started the calibration again. It takes you through 8 tests moving the mic around the seating area, very easy. Then it told me to start connecting the usual stuff that I have which is sky box, vu+ sat receiver, sony blu ray player, ac ryan media player and samsung smart blu ray player. These were all connected by HDMI. After that I went into the menu and just changed the source menu name from e.g. cable to sky making life a bit easier.

Then I tested every device through the box and all is great. No further modification needed.

Great sound, clear, crisp, nice sound from the subwoofer far superior than the old sony.

My set up is 2 front speakers, 2 surround and 1 sub woofer. 3.2.1.

Delighted with this receiver and the sound quality is superb.

Glad you are happy with the amp and the service from creative audio gord1.

If you want the atmos speakers check out this site
Onkyo SKH410 Haut-parleurs compatibles Dolby Atmos 100 W: Amazon.fr: Audio & HiFi

This is where I bought mine from great price and good delivery
Hey buddy. What's your experience with these any good? Where have you placed them and where are they pointing? In the audessey calibration, it does not have an option for additional front atmos speakers.

Also, if you don't have an atmos soundtrack, do they work as standard satellites?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Question for you guys, I am trying to get hdmi pass through for my Virgin tivo box so when not needed I can just use the TV speakers. I have a Samsung 75JU7000 2015 TV and Arc functionality is broken on these tvs which is why I have an optical out for smart TV stuff. In the TV I have set TV audio to go through optical instead of speakers and there is no way to go back to TV speakers without going through multiple menus.

Any ideas how can get hdmi pass through without changing speaker configuration on the TV?

Hey buddy. What's your experience with these any good? Where have you placed them and where are they pointing? In the audessey calibration, it does not have an option for additional front atmos speakers.

Also, if you don't have an atmos soundtrack, do they work as standard satellites?

My experience is limited at the moment as I have not set mine up correctly.

I think (but someone who knows what they are talking about might be better placed to help you) that in the Audyssey set up you select the amp config before you start and the distance the speakers are from the ceiling. (I haven't permanantly fixed mine yet so haven't done this part of the set up )
On a dolby not atmos playback they seem to be used but it is hard to be certain as I cant get my ear to them to check but on info it shows all 7 speakers being used.

The atmos demo I have is impressive but when I try Youtube atmos demo's it doesn't show atmos on the amp so not sure if I have set everything properly.
Sorry this is not a great deal of help but all I can say is I am impressed with atmos so far and am glad I bought the speakers especially at the price.
However more work to be done and my main concern at the moment is lip sync problems on sky.

Any ideas how can get hdmi pass through without changing speaker configuration on the TV?

If dealing with an HDMI source then enable the HDMI passthrough in standby function from within the receiver's HDMI settings. This will allow either the last HDMI source used or a pre determined HDMI source to be passed through the receiver while the receiver is in standby. You'd configure the STANDBY SOURCE setting to reflect which of the two options you'd prefer.

Note that irrespective of this, you'd still need to select the TV speakers via the TV's TOOLS menu if wanting audio via the TV's own inbuilt speakers. The AV receiver has no control over this.

Last edited:
I have already set up the pass through source, it's the TV issue I need to work out. There is no auto setting for this in the TV. I use up a lot of energy when everything is on.

My experience is limited at the moment as I have not set mine up correctly.

I think (but someone who knows what they are talking about might be better placed to help you) that in the Audyssey set up you select the amp config before you start and the distance the speakers are from the ceiling. (I haven't permanantly fixed mine yet so haven't done this part of the set up )
On a dolby not atmos playback they seem to be used but it is hard to be certain as I cant get my ear to them to check but on info it shows all 7 speakers being used.

The atmos demo I have is impressive but when I try Youtube atmos demo's it doesn't show atmos on the amp so not sure if I have set everything properly.
Sorry this is not a great deal of help but all I can say is I am impressed with atmos so far and am glad I bought the speakers especially at the price.
However more work to be done and my main concern at the moment is lip sync problems on sky.
Hi mate. The manual says that if you have atmos enabled speakers, you need to replace your front speakers with these. I am hesitant to do that as my speakers are B&W MT1s. I'd want to use the atmos enabled ones as front height and not replace my current MT1s. In Audessey, I can see the option for front height speakers but it doesn't have that option for atmos setups.

I have already set up the pass through source, it's the TV issue I need to work out. There is no auto setting for this in the TV. I use up a lot of energy when everything is on.

As I said, you still have to choose the TV's speakers via the TOOLS menu on the TV. THere's no automation of this with any TV. Use the TOOLS menu rather than navigating to the setting via the TV's main setup menu.

VkaiaY.png

Not sure what energy/electricity has to do with anything because only the TV and the source need to be powered up. The receiver will be in standby.

Better still, simply use the AV receiver all of the time. There's no real reason or benefit to not using it and the electricity used will not be that much different.

Last edited:
Hi mate. The manual says that if you have atmos enabled speakers, you need to replace your front speakers with these. I am hesitant to do that as my speakers are B&W MT1s. I'd want to use the atmos enabled ones as front height and not replace my current MT1s. In Audessey, I can see the option for front height speakers but it doesn't have that option for atmos setups.

No, the manual does not tell you to replace your front speakers with the upward firing Atmos speakers. The upward firing Atmos speakers are used in conjunction with your existing front speakers and not instead of them.

XXLXxm.png

These speakers are upward firing Atmos speakers and bounce the audio off your ceiling to create the effect of having ceiling mounted downward firing speakers so cannot be used as height speakers. They ideally need to be placed on the top of your existing front left and right speakers or positioned in a location that would approximate this. Your front left and right speakers should ideally be located at your seated head height. There should be a speaker configuration specifically for this type of speaker?

You need to use the FDL/FDR option and locate the upward firing Atmos speakers on top of your existing front left and right speakers. The suggestions to replace your speakers is made in reference to Atmos speakers that integrate the upward firing element and front firing speakers into the same cabinet.

Last edited:
Im not planning on changing or adding new speakers just yet although my set up is q acoustics floor standing 2030's , centre and suround 2020's...I had to replace a sub and purchased a tannoy to get by and will probably get the q acoustics sub soon. Still messing around with the amp I had HDMI control at On and this morning had no sound until I turned it off so reckon I will have to leave it off and change the HDMI passthrough as per Dantes post......

Dante does this sound right to you mate?

Thanks

Im not planning on changing or adding new speakers just yet although my set up is q acoustics floor standing 2030's , centre and suround 2020's...I had to replace a sub and purchased a tannoy to get by and will probably get the q acoustics sub soon. Still messing around with the amp I had HDMI control at On and this morning had no sound until I turned it off so reckon I will have to leave it off and change the HDMI passthrough as per Dantes post......

Dante does this sound right to you mate?

Thanks

Avoid Q Acoustics subwoofers, they are very poor and not up to the standard associated with the speakers Q Acoustics make. The weak point of any QA package is the sub and most people end up replacing the QA sub with a thirsd party alternative. There's no need to match the sub to the speakers and third party subs offer much better performance.

What I think you may have done is alter the HDMI Audio passthrough setting to the TV option? This should always be left set to AVR. HDMI Control would not mute or prevent the receiver from outputting sound via the speakers so doubt this setting was the cause of your issue.

Thanks Dante will take your advice.. here are my settings so if you could confirm they are okay re hdmi.............
HDMI SETUP

AUDIO LIP SYNC ON...VIDEO OUTPUT AUTO[DUAL]...HDMI CONTROL ON...PASS THROUGH SOURCE LAST...V AUDIO SWITCHING OFF..POWER OFF CONTROL OFF.. POWER SAVING OFF...SMART MENU..OFF

Just to say my audio volume is set at SCALE 0-98...

Strange thing within the speakers/manual set up.. Amp assign is set at ASSIGN mode Zone 2?
Speaker config is Front Large...Centre..Small...Subwoofer Yes...Surround Small

Speaker/Bass is set at Subwoofer Mode LFE @120Mhz

Personally I found the bass a little light so within the option tone control have cranked it up to +3db

Do you think the settings look ok?

Thanks

No, the manual does not tell you to replace your front speakers with the upward firing Atmos speakers. The upward firing Atmos speakers are used in conjunction with your existing front speakers and not instead of them.

XXLXxm.png

These speakers are upward firing Atmos speakers and bounce the audio off your ceiling to create the effect of having ceiling mounted downward firing speakers so cannot be used as height speakers. They ideally need to be placed on the top of your existing front left and right speakers or positioned in a location that would approximate this. Your front left and right speakers should ideally be located at your seated head height. There should be a speaker configuration specifically for this type of speaker?

You need to use the FDL/FDR option and locate the upward firing Atmos speakers on top of your existing front left and right speakers. The suggestions to replace your speakers is made in reference to Atmos speakers that integrate the upward firing element and front firing speakers into the same cabinet.
Thanks dante. Heres an additional question then. I'll go ahead and buy the onkyo ones. Where behind the amp would I wire them in? The only speaker options left for me are surround back. I have a 5.1 setup currently. Will the surround back work with the upward firing atmos speakers?

In Audessey, as I can't see the option to select just front upward firing speakers, how would I tell the amp the the new speakers are just upward firing and are atmos enabled?

You'd use the back speaker terminals. You'd be running a 5.1.2 configuration as opposed to a 7.1 setup. THe back channel amplification should be reassigned to the Atmos speakers in the amp assignment settings. The AMP ASSIGN setting should be set to SURROUND DOLBY if wanting a 5.1.2 configuration.

KtzxDW.png

Last edited:
you wire the Atmos speakers into the surround back connections you then tell the amp where you have placed them either at the front or rear, on the X220 you have 2 settings for Dolby Atmos enabled speakers either FDL/FDR (Front Dolby left/Right) or SDL/SDR (surround Rear dolby left/right)

Thanks dante and digicon for your help. You guys are awesome. Final 2 questions on this subject. Are the onkyo atmos speakers a good choice or should I consider any others on the market?

From what I can tell is that these speakers are bog standard speakers without any other circuitry inside. I make this assumption as they are connected to regular speaker outputs on Avrs. If there is nothing special about them, why are they called atmos enabled? Can't I just buy some additional MT1s and point them upwards?

They are not what you'd call audiophile, but they are the cheapest Atmos upward firing speakers available. You'd ufortunately have to spend in the region of £600 if wanting something other than the Onkyo option:

Hi-Fi Speakers - R Series - Fact Sheets - Dolby Atmos - R50 Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers - KEF United Kingdom

Only ONkyo, KEF and Pioneer currently make and sell Atmos enabled speakers in the UK and Pioneer don't make add on units you can place on top of existing speakers.

The other option is to use small sat speakers mounted on your ceiling, but having speakers mounted on a ceiling doesn't appeal to everyone.

Last edited:
I think the question is do you want to ceiling mount speakers or perhaps have as you say Dolby Atmos enabled ones that you place either on top of existing speakers or mount higher up the wall.

from what i have heard on the Atmos tracks the Onkyo ones fair ok due to not having to do a full frequency range sweep, using the Dolby upmixer due to lack of Atmos encoded material would probably benefit from some full range cheaper satellite speakers, members seem to be using products like the JBL control ones or even the Minx 12's/22's

Was going to say that I'm going for the Minx 12 approach for Atmos . They are a cheap neat speaker for the ceiling that come in white to blend in . I can't really go upfiring as I have B@W M1s but would like to be able to place my ceiling speakers in the best possible position for Atmos . This approach I feel gives me the option to upgrade to in ceiling if need be.

Hi, I saw in your post that you've got B&W MT1's, as have I in a 5.1 with a PV1, I'm about to take the plunge but I would love to hear your thoughts of how they sound together. cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom