Denon AVR-X2200w + KEF T-2 subwoofer not working

sanch3z

Established Member
Reaction score
So today I noticed my sub had stopped working and did the following:

1. Connected Audyssey and ran through the set-up, every speaker pulsed but the sub wasn't picked up.
2. Changed the fuse in the plug, think it was dead ran Audyssey - nothing
3. Checked the fuse in the sub with a multimeter and seems like that is also dead.
4. Borrowed a spare sub, plugged that in and ran Audyssey - nothing
5. Changed the cable in the back of the amp twice - nothing
6. Powered the amp down, left it off the power for 60secs and powered it back up - nothing
7. Check firmware and it's up-to-date
8. Checked original sub off a different amp in another room - nothing (probably the glass fuse so have ordered more)
9. Checked borrowed sub off different amp in another room and whilst very very quiet I can hear it working

So, seems like my T-2 isn't working. Is it strange that the plug fuse and sub fuse have both gone at the same time? Maybe they went at different times and I just didn't notice it not working? Due to having small kids it's rarely up loud enough to actually know it's on. It was only today when people were out that I fancied giving it a workout that I noticed it.

Is there anything else I can do with the amp that might resolve this (once the sub has the fuse replaced)?

Really worried I might be in for a new sub and amp... cost a packet for the Denon and can't really afford another £500 on a replacement 🤢

Any help really appreciated.

Not unusual for the sub to go. I had one fail a couple of months ago, turned out to be a relay and easily fixed. If the sub isn't powering up then it may just be a case of a blown fuse. As for the other sub being quiet then that could be down to the saved Audyssey setting from the previous dead sub. Did you turn the gain up on the spare sub?

So, seems like my T-2 isn't working. Is it strange that the plug fuse and sub fuse have both gone at the same time? Maybe they went at different times and I just didn't notice it not working? Due to having small kids it's rarely up loud enough to actually know it's on. It was only today when people were out that I fancied giving it a workout that I noticed it.

Is there anything else I can do with the amp that might resolve this (once the sub has the fuse replaced)?

Really worried I might be in for a new sub and amp... cost a packet for the Denon and can't really afford another £500 on a replacement 🤢

Any help really appreciated.
If you had a catastrophic failure inside the sub I'd expect both the internal sub fuse and the plug fuse to blow at the same time.

4. Your X2200W has two sub outs. Did you try both of them with the borrowed sub?
9. That the borrowed sub was very very quiet on the other amp may be the rreason you couldn't hear it at all on your X2200W. Did you turn the sub volume up?

Not unusual for the sub to go. I had one fail a couple of months ago, turned out to be a relay and easily fixed. If the sub isn't powering up then it may just be a case of a blown fuse. As for the other sub being quiet then that could be down to the saved Audyssey setting from the previous dead sub. Did you turn the gain up on the spare sub?
Send away or diy fix? Set the spare to 50% but needed it to be near 100% to hear it running off my other amp. Wonder why the denon won’t seem to output to the sub

If you had a catastrophic failure inside the sub I'd expect both the internal sub fuse and the plug fuse to blow at the same time.

4. Your X2200W has two sub outs. Did you try both of them with the borrowed sub?
9. That the borrowed sub was very very quiet on the other amp may be the rreason you couldn't hear it at all on your X2200W. Did you turn the sub volume up?
Yes I did try both outputs on the amp, top and bottom one, still nothing. Didn’t know if a firmware update might have screwed the sub signal or a setting somewhere... clutching at straws... just don5 want to be in for a new sub and amp

I would also check between the Auto setting and continually On function on the Sub.

I thought when you re-ran audyssey it started from a fresh? So the sound and setting on the amp for the sub wouldn’t need adjusting.

I used to have the Kef T-2 sub that came as part of the T 105/ T series system..as far as i can remember, the only settings on the sub were.

Phase 0- 180 ( something like that)
Auto/on
db settings 10+15 etc.

Cant remember any gain/knobs etc, just the switches underneath.

I used to have the Kef T-2 sub that came as part of the T 105/ T series system..as far as i can remember, the only settings on the sub were.

Phase 0- 180 ( something like that)
Auto/on
db settings 10+15 etc.

Cant remember any gain/knobs etc, just the switches underneath.
Yup, that’s pretty much it. Plug and play.

Yup, that’s pretty much it. Plug and play.
The led light on the front, we had it on "Blue" do continuously on. The other setting, i believe, is the Auto option, the Sub would remain in standby mode ( red led).then turn blue once an LFE signal was received, something along those lines.

The led light on the front, we had it on "Blue" do continuously on. The other setting, i believe, is the Auto option, the Sub would remain in standby mode ( red led).then turn blue once an LFE signal was received, something along those lines.
Ah. No lights on the sub at all. Fingers crossed it’s the fuse. But say the sub is ok do the sub outputs on the denon go and if so is the amp screwed?

Ah. No lights on the sub at all. Fingers crossed it’s the fuse. But say the sub is ok do the sub outputs on the denon go and if so is the amp screwed?
The lights on the sub were temperamental in the end, on, off, flickering etc..i did manage to sell the sub to someone who knew what they were doing,.and they fixed it..

Ok, will get new sub fuses tomorrow and take it from there. Any thoughts on the amp? Would be gutted if that’s gone as well

Ok, will get new sub fuses tomorrow and take it from there. Any thoughts on the amp? Would be gutted if that’s gone as well
Amp on the sub or the denon?.
The guy who purchased my Sub said it was a simple fix, so.fair play to him, my sub fixing knowledge is limited, but said it cost him £5 lol..he did pay a few hundred quid for the sub regardless though.

Amp on the denon as the spare sub seems to not be detected either

The back plate of your sub, looks very similar to the back plate of HTB2 Subwoofer. I reckon, they both use the same ICEpower class D amplifier modules. If the new fuse(s) will blow straigh away, then you'll need a new amp module I'm afraid.

The back plate of your sub, looks very similar to the back plate of HTB2 Subwoofer. I reckon, they both use the same ICEpower class D amplifier modules. If the new fuse(s) will blow straigh away, then you'll need a new amp module I'm afraid.
It’s that a self repair job or best sent away? Last time I buy kef. Still concerned about the denon and if there is something also wrong with that

Amp on the denon as the spare sub seems to not be detected either
If the worst came to the worst and both the sub outputs on the Denon and the sub itself was screwed you could get the likes of a BK sub and connect using the high level inputs to your front left and right speaker conections. FAQ - High Level and Low Level Inputs
If you then eventually get a new amp these can then be connected to the sub outputs as before.

For the low use you make of your KEF perhaps the bottom of the range Gemini at £240 Gemini
or the higher powered XLS200 at £340 XLS200-FF would be suitable
I've two of the latter and they have been very reliable, one is probably 9-10 years old now and still going strong. They get good reviews too.

Last edited:
If the worst came to the worst and both the sub outputs on the Denon and the sub itself was screwed you could get the likes of a BK sub and connect using the high level inputs to your front left and right speaker conections. FAQ - High Level and Low Level Inputs
If you then eventually get a new amp these can then be connected to the sub outputs as before.

For the low use you make of your KEF perhaps the bottom of the range Gemini at £240 Gemini
or the higher powered XLS200 at £340 XLS200-FF would be suitable
I've two of the latter and they have been very reliable, one is probably 9-10 years old now and still going strong. They get good reviews too.
Thanks, it’s nice to have an option. If the new fuse fixes the sub but the amp is screwed how can I use the two high level out puts as my t-2 only accepts one input? Do I just use one output or will this give strange results? If I manage to connect it this way will audyssey detect the sub as normal?

Thanks, it’s nice to have an option. If the new fuse fixes the sub but the amp is screwed how can I use the two high level out puts as my t-2 only accepts one input? Do I just use one output or will this give strange results? If I manage to connect it this way will audyssey detect the sub as normal?
If your T-2 doesn't have the connections to allow this, it may also not have the internal filters required for this type of connection to work. Hence why I suggested a cheapish replacement with the necessary features.

Edit:
AFAIK you would loose Audyssey bass correction and sub control as it would see the sub connected in this way as being the front L/R speakers. It's not an ideal setup by any means but a possibly cheaper alternative to getting a new amp given the use you make of the sub.

If however your T-2 is still functional and it is the amp sub outputs which are screwed the alternative would seem to be to get your amp repaired or replaced. However if it was a failure in the sub which took out the X2200W sub outputs (which I think possible if they are now not working) it might happen again. After all it was the sub fuses which are blown, not the amp one(s). Personally I wouldn't use the T-2 without getting it checked over by an engineer.

That the sub mains plug fuse was blown points to a possible serious short in the sub. If there was, I'm guessing this may have propagated back up the sub cable and damaged the sub output circuits in the amp. I think it unlikely the X2200W could have put enough current down the sub output to screw the sub without itself blowing its own fuse(s) or triggering the amp protection while doing so.

I don't know anything about the circuit protection in the Denon (apart from that it has it) so this may all be incorrect. But I would have expected the Denon protection circuits to have detected a fault and shut down and for it to do so now if there is still a short type fault with it.

Last edited:
If your T-2 doesn't have the connections to allow this, it may also not have the internal filters required for this type of connection to work. Hence why I suggested a cheapish replacement with the necessary features.

Edit:
AFAIK you would loose Audyssey bass correction and sub control as it would see the sub connected in this way as being the front L/R speakers. It's not an ideal setup by any means but a possibly cheaper alternative to getting a new amp given the use you make of the sub.

If however your T-2 is still functional and it is the amp sub outputs which are screwed the alternative would seem to be to get your amp repaired or replaced. However if it was a failure in the sub which took out the X2200W sub outputs (which I think possible if they are now not working) it might happen again. After all it was the sub fuses which are blown, not the amp one(s). Personally I wouldn't use the T-2 without getting it checked over by an engineer.

That the sub mains plug fuse was blown points to a possible serious short in the sub. If there was, I'm guessing this may have propagated back up the sub cable and damaged the sub output circuits in the amp. I think it unlikely the X2200W could have put enough current down the sub output to screw the sub without itself blowing its own fuse(s) or triggering the amp protection while doing so.

I don't know anything about the circuit protection in the Denon (apart from that it has it) so this may all be incorrect. But I would have expected the Denon protection circuits to have detected a fault and shut down and for it to do so now if there is still a short type fault with it.

So new fuses for the sub arrived today. Replaced, plugged in and the plug fuse blew. Checked the sub fuse and that was ok, replaced the plug fuse, plugged in and it went pop again leaving the sub fuse intact. This would indicate an issue with the main sub power supply. I'll start a new thread about the sub and if it's possible to fix it as a DIY job and where to start looking.

I've got to the bottom of the Denon sub outlet problem!

As I ran two sub cables from the amp to sub location to cover myself incase I had an issue, I swapped these in the back of the amp to test but as I was doing it blind (couldn't see the back) I connected the spare to the wrong output. Each subsequent test with the spare sub and other cables were all done from the wrong outlet hence thinking the amp and sub were both fried.

This morning I realised and the sub was recognised instantly - feel so stupid! Anyway I'm relieved to know the amp is fine and it's only the sub that has an issue. Saying that I ran through the audyssey set up last night and it sounds like there is actually a lot of base coming through the fronts... Think it's just set to LEF but didn't know if I had inadvertently whacked the bass up on everything trying to get the sub to register... Is this even possible? I kinda just though you select your speaker size (small) and configuration and let the microphone do the rest?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom