Denon AVR-X2500H Owners Thread

Glad to hear you sorted it in the end sounds11.

Anyone else suffer from this unusual problem:

"On a completely unrelated note I am experiencing a strange issue with the AV. Whereby if I am watching Netflix via ARC and pause Netflix for only a minute or so, then when I resume Netflix the sound stops playing"
I've had it with Netflix on my 6200 via ARC. No such problems with optical. This is from a Panasonic FZ802. Has happened when I've gone to a different programme, not through stopping or pausing. I assumed it ARC just be it's usually pain in the backside. Tried ARC with Netflix tonight and it's worked perfectly. Tomorrow who knows, probably back to optical.:rolleyes:

I've had it with Netflix on my 6200 via ARC. No such problems with optical. This is from a Panasonic FZ802. Has happened when I've gone to a different programme, not through stopping or pausing. I assumed it ARC just be it's usually pain in the backside. Tried ARC with Netflix tonight and it's worked perfectly. Tomorrow who knows, probably back to optical.:rolleyes:

Thanks Gibbsy
We only seem to get the problem with ARC as opposed to Optical or even HDMI direct to the AV itself.
Hopefully a firmware update fixes this unless there are any settings that may help?

Thanks Gibbsy
We only seem to get the problem with ARC as opposed to Optical or even HDMI direct to the AV itself.
Hopefully a firmware update fixes this unless there are any settings that may help?
Firmware will not help ARC. The problem lies with the fact that each manufacturer implemented ARC differently, there was no consensus. The result is something of a mess. The new eARC will be much better as it is a universal implementation but everything in the chain must be eARC enabled. So those, like myself, that are stuck with ARC will continue to be frustrated.

Glad to hear you sorted it in the end sounds11.

Anyone else suffer from this unusual problem:

"On a completely unrelated note I am experiencing a strange issue with the AV. Whereby if I am watching Netflix via ARC and pause Netflix for only a minute or so, then when I resume Netflix the sound stops playing"

Smart TVs are just dumb anyway, pun intended, they never keep the apps up to date much past the model year and everything works far better on third party devices anyway. Forget ARC and just plug something genuinely smart into your amp, even something like a Fire TV Stick is better than virtually all TVs, no more ARC and HDMI CEC problems :)

Smart TVs are just dumb anyway, pun intended, they never keep the apps up to date much past the model year and everything works far better on third party devices anyway. Forget ARC and just plug something genuinely smart into your amp, even something like a Fire TV Stick is better than virtually all TVs, no more ARC and HDMI CEC problems :)

So the Fire TV stick is free is it?

If the TV includes an app then why should you have to then go buy another external device that is basically running the same app?

Note that eARC doesn't rely on HDMI CEC so shouldn't exhibit most of the issues HDMI CEC caused while using the more conventional earlier form of ARC.

Also note that the FireTV stick isn't without its own issues.

So the Fire TV stick is free is it?

If the TV includes an app then why should you have to then go buy another external device that is basically running the same app?

Note that eARC doesn't rely on HDMI CEC so shouldn't exhibit most of the issues HDMI CEC caused while using the more conventional earlier form of ARC.

Not what I said at all, but it's far cheaper than having to replace your TV every year to keep everything working as it should and even when new the TV apps are generally pretty shocking compared to those on devices which have regular updates years after their launch.

The HDMI CEC comment was directed at most of the problems with it seem to be created by the TVs interpretation so you can turn that off on the TV and save some heartache :)

Market would be far better served if they just produced big dumb monitors and didn't bother trying to strap crappy sound and other functions into them, especially when you get higher end as most people have everything they want plugged into it, other than the actual picture, rather than onboard.

There are issues associated with HDMI ARC, but not everyone experiences these issues and it is more likely the implimentation of CEC by the TV manufacturer that gives rise to such issues.

The TV manufacturers don't have anything to do with the authoring or the development of the apps. THis is purely something left up to the third party developers such as Netflix. iPlayer (BBC) and Amazon to deal with. There's nothing to dictate that they have to continue developing their app for the FireTV platform.

Not everyone has an interest in home AV and or cinema, but a considerable number of people do appear to want a big TV without having to also have an AV receiver attached to it. No, the TV manufacturers are not going to alienate their core customers and pander to a niche market by making big screen monitors as opposed to selling what they currently market which caters to both markets. The manufacturers would fail to sell enough of these to substanriate the cost of their manufacture. Believe it or not, you're not the TV manufacturers' target market.

The sale of AV receivers in declining and not on the increase.

I also dispute ypur claim that support for the apps is dropped after 12 months. I've several TVs older than this whose apps are regularly updated. Support generally slows the older a product gets and will eventually cease, but this support lasts a lot longer than just 12 months.

Last edited:
There are issues associated with HDMI ARC, but not everyone experiences these issues and it is more likely the implimentation of CEC by the TV manufacturer that gives rise to such issues.

The TV manufacturers don't have anything to do with the authoring or the development of the apps. THis is purely something left up to the third party developers such as Netflix. iPlayer (BBC) and Amazon to deal with. There's nothing to dictate that they have to continue developing their app for the FireTV platform.

Not everyone has an interest in home AV and or cinema, but a considerable number of people do appear to want a big TV without having to also have an AV receiver attached to it. No, the TV manufacturers are not going to alienate their core customers and pander to a niche market by making big screen monitors as opposed to selling what they currently market which caters to both markets. The manufacturers would fail to sell enough of these to substanriate the cost of their manufacture. Believe it or not, you're not the TV manufacturers' target market.

The sale of AV receivers in declining and not on the increase.

I also dispute ypur claim that support for the apps is dropped after 12 months. I've several TVs older than this whose apps are regularly updated. Support with slow the older a product gets and will eventually cease, but this support lasts a lot longer than just 12 months.

As you seem to want to misunderstand my point and don't understand how smart TV app support works I'll leave you to it :smashin:

As you seem to want to misunderstand my point and don't understand how smart TV app support works I'll leave you to it :smashin:

As you seem to want to misinform people, I'll continue.

I perfectly understand how a developer supports their app or apps and no, the TV manufacturer doesn't have anything to do with those apps being updated. TV manufacturers do not purposely prevent these third party developers from continuing to develop and update the apps and they definitely do not in most instances cease updating them after just 12 months unless they've very good reason not to..

The TVs hardware may become dated and a developer may cease developing and updating their app for that model because to continue doing so would require a separate dev branch other than that which they are perusing in association with newer hardware or other platforms. This happens irrespective of the platform and a device such as a Firestick wouldn't be immune to this either. Yes, it would be more expensive to replace the TV because a dev had ceased updating their apps running on that platform and it would then be cheaper to buy a third party device on which to run such apps, but your suggestion that they do this after just 12 months is ridiculous and not founded an any factual evidence.

Don't get me wrong, ARC isn't perfect and its reliance upon HDMI CEC can make it problematic in association with some setups, but not all setups suffer with these issues. You are not Forced into having to use a third party device to run Netflix and similar apps etc unless you're actually experiencing issues with ARC. eARC is likely to erradicate the issues associated with its forerunner due to eARC having its own dedicated data channel and it no longer having to rely upon HDMI CEC.

Why would buying a Firestick, Apple TV or similar product to run apps I'd altready have access to be of any benefit if I can already access those apps onboard the TV? It would be a waste of money for anyone not experiencing issues with running these apps on the TV and not needing or wanting any of the additional apps and or services these third part devices are equipped with. Apple and Amazon already make enough money out of me without me giving them more money than I need to.

I'd be more concerned about Alexa on the Fire TV spying on me than bad mouthing the TV manufacturers for ceasing support for their TVs after 12 months which is not actually what they do.

Last edited:
Proud new owner here. Have set all up and I'm very pleased with my purchase but I have a strange issue. I'm using a 5.1 setup with Dolby front firing separate speakers . I have gone in to amp assign and changed assign mode to front Dolby . When I play a Dolby Atmos track and press info the input signal says Dolby Atmos but active speakers the fdl and fdr blues speaker box isn't shown . If I go in to assign and come back out and do info it then shows the fdl and fdr being used . But it's annoying having to do this after ever time I use a new Atmos movie am I missing something please ??

Proud new owner here. Have set all up and I'm very pleased with my purchase but I have a strange issue. I'm using a 5.1 setup with Dolby front firing separate speakers . I have gone in to amp assign and changed assign mode to front Dolby . When I play a Dolby Atmos track and press info the input signal says Dolby Atmos but active speakers the fdl and fdr blues speaker box isn't shown . If I go in to assign and come back out and do info it then shows the fdl and fdr being used . But it's annoying having to do this after ever time I use a new Atmos movie am I missing something please ??
Are you sure the discs you are watching is actually an Atmos title. Not all blu rays have an Atmos track. Also is your player set to bitstream.

Yes there Atmos tracks and once I do what I mentioned above they play as Atmos . I just have to do what I stated above every time

Yes there Atmos tracks and once I do what I mentioned above they play as Atmos . I just have to do what I stated above every time
You may have to do a factory reset and re-calibrate.

I hope it's ok to ask this here. Can this receiver run 4 ohm speakers safely? I think I've made a huge mistake and ordered it along with the wharfedale dx2's.

Should I use the 4 ohm mode on the receiver? (I've read elsewhere that it's better not to use 4 ohm mode since the receiver will cut even more power).

I hope it's ok to ask this here. Can this receiver run 4 ohm speakers safely? I think I've made a huge mistake and ordered it along with the wharfedale dx2's.

Should I use the 4 ohm mode on the receiver? (I've read elsewhere that it's better not to use 4 ohm mode since the receiver will cut even more power).
Leave it on 8 ohm. The receiver will comepensate. Just make sure the receiver has plenty of ventilation.

Leave it on 8 ohm. The receiver will comepensate. Just make sure the receiver has plenty of ventilation.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Would it be better for me to upgrade speakers or receiver? As I say I've only just ordered so there is still time.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. Would it be better for me to upgrade speakers or receiver? As I say I've only just ordered so there is still time.
Most receiver will easily cover the 4-8 ohm loading. 4 ohm speakers give a higher wattage output than 8 ohm but the trade off, because of voltage, is that they can run much hotter than when driving 8 ohm speakers. Denon receivers run pretty toasty as a rule and always require good ventilation, I have the X6200.

As an entry level 5.1 kit then Wharfedales are not too shabby but the Denon is capable of driving better speakers. An upgrade path would be to replace the front three and possibly the sub. You can easily continue to use the DX2s are surrounds. As always any upgrade is down to budget.

I am sure I have missed a setting but I have searched the TV and Denon manuals but cannot find the answer.

My problem is that I have just changed a from a Sony soundbar which worked as it should using the ARC. However, I cannot seem to get the tv to control the sound. In short, I only ever hear the sound from the Sky box.

My TV is a Panasonic Viera (65dx902b) and I have made sure that HDMI control is "on". I have set up the TV and AVR as per the manual. I am sure this is just a daft oversight but could do with some pointers as to how to get the TV to control the sound.

Thanks

Why would you want to get the TV to control the sound? You've effectively turned it into a monitor and handed over all sound control and switching to the amp.

Why would you want to get the TV to control the sound? You've effectively turned it into a monitor and handed over all sound control and switching to the amp.
Because the TV has apps of it's own, including Netfix.

My TV is a Panasonic Viera (65dx902b) and I have made sure that HDMI control is "on". I have set up the TV and AVR as per the manual. I am sure this is just a daft oversight but could do with some pointers as to how to get the TV to control the sound.

So have you ensured that Viera LInk is enabled onboard the TV and that both HDMI Control and ARC are turned on within the AV receiver's HDMI configurations? You'd also need to set the TV's speaker setting to the option that relates to the ARC output of audio.

Also ensure that you connect the AV receiver's Monitor 1 output to the TV's ARC enabled HDMI input. Only one input on your TV will be ARC enabled and only the AV receiver's Monitor 1 output is ARC enabled.

Once both the TV and AV receiver are correctly configured for ARC, put both the TV and the AV receiver into standby and then power them back up. This will allow them to reestablish HDMI handshaking that would reflect the new HDMI settings you've made.

If you still don't get anything via ARC then ensure the AV receiver is setting itself to its TV source. If not then try selecting this source manually. If you still don't get audio via ARC then try replacing the HDMI cable between the TV and the AV receiver. It is recommended that the cable be High Speed in nature and it is often suggested that cables including ethernet are more likely to work for ARC than those predating this.

Many thanks for taking the time with this. I have worked through your list and can confirm that all the settings seem ok. Sound is coming from the tv as it stops when I remove the HDMI cable (HDMI2 for ARC on this TV). However, I can see no reference to the TV as a "source" on the AVR. I am not sure where this would show up as its' not in the HDMI source list. Could this be due to the cable? I don't have one to hand that I am 100% sure is high speed although the cable I am using was OK with the Sony Soundbar.

I'll get a new cable if this is the last option.

Thanks again.

Many thanks for taking the time with this. I have worked through your list and can confirm that all the settings seem ok. Sound is coming from the tv as it stops when I remove the HDMI cable (HDMI2 for ARC on this TV). However, I can see no reference to the TV as a "source" on the AVR. I am not sure where this would show up as its' not in the HDMI source list. Could this be due to the cable? I don't have one to hand that I am 100% sure is high speed although the cable I am using was OK with the Sony Soundbar.

I'll get a new cable if this is the last option.

Thanks again.

There's a source button on the remote that is labelled TV AUDIO. This will be associated with ARC if ARC is enabled and as long as you've not reassigned it to another source. It would also access the audio associated with the TV optical input by default if ARC isn't enabled on the AV receiver. What is shown on the receiver's display when you press the TV AUDIO button? THis would be what you'd ordinarilly see shown if ARC auto switched to the TV as a source.

Hi,

The TV Audio button had no effect and there was nothing on the AVR screen. The optical connection is also in place. The TV says it's outputing sound to the Home Theatre so it has detected it.

Both the TV and AVR say that ARC is turned on.

I suppose I will need to wait until tomorrow when the new cable arrives and see if that is the issue.

Thanks

If you've an optical audio connection from the TV to the AV receiver you would get audio from the TV if pressing the TV AUDIO button if you set ARC to OFF in the AV receiver's HDMI settings. It reverts to the optical input if ARC isn't engaged.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom