Denon AVR-X2500H Owners Thread

Hi, just got this amp and got a question on the hdmi outputs.

I have a samsung tv on hdmi 1 for during the day and a Benq w2000 projecter on hdmi 2 for watching films etc. It takes quite a bit of messing around to get the amp to fire up with the projector without the tv coming on. Is there a simple way to just switch between the outputs? Or is there a certain order in which to switch things on?
You will need to turn off the CEC control on the TV so that it does not turn on when firing up the Denon. Just use the pre-sets on the remote, 1 for the TV, 2 for the PJ. Press either of those numbers and the Denon will fire up with the correct input already selected.

You will need to turn off the CEC control on the TV so that it does not turn on when firing up the Denon. Just use the pre-sets on the remote, 1 for the TV, 2 for the PJ. Press either of those numbers and the Denon will fire up with the correct input already selected.
Thanks will give that a go

Hi All

Now the proud owner of one of these beauties but having some teething problems around Atmos playback. The unit shows the source as Atmos but even with Atmos selected as mode the Dolby Front Left and Right Speakers in the Info screen are not showing as engaged (not solid blue). Has anyone else had this, should they only be lit at the exact moment an Atmos effect is played on that channel?

Thanks

Matt

I've got a Denon 2500 and an Oppo 203.

I've just popped in my first Atmos encoded UHD Blu... 'The Equalizer.'

I also have FLD or FRD that aren't engaged on the display despite the amp auto switching to Atmos and I'm sure I can hear sound from the Atmos speakers.

Here's the display:

20181111_111344_HDR.jpg

Here's a shot when I'm watching Freesat and have 'faux' Atmos enabled. All speakers are engaged:

20181111_111544_HDR.jpg

I have played a Netflix stream with Dolby Atmos but it's from the TV's internal app and sound is being sent by ARC to the amp... so pressing the 'info' button doesn't show anything so you can't see which speakers are engaged?

@MattyCB ... did you solve this?

EDIT:

Just tried another Atmos disc and the speakers are showing as engaged:

20181111_114923.jpg

Attachments

• 20181111_114923.jpg
    20181111_114923.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 164
Last edited:
So... I popped 'The Equalizer' back in and got all speakers shown as engaged.

Odd?

@leamspaceman you are getting exactly what I got - an intermittent fault showing the Atmos speakers not engaged when they are. I found that if I go into the Audyssey menu and reload defaults (even though nothing has changed) it springs into life. I have reported all of this to Denon who have said they are unable to recreate using my photos and steps ( I have Oppo 203 too BTW, but it happens with any source). Perhaps if you have the time to report it too they might sort it, for now I'm living with what is a minor annoyance.

@leamspaceman you are getting exactly what I got - an intermittent fault showing the Atmos speakers not engaged when they are. I found that if I go into the Audyssey menu and reload defaults (even though nothing has changed) it springs into life. I have reported all of this to Denon who have said they are unable to recreate using my photos and steps ( I have Oppo 203 too BTW, but it happens with any source). Perhaps if you have the time to report it too they might sort it, for now I'm living with what is a minor annoyance.

Hey... thanks for replying.

I will report this to Denon and send my pics.

If you reload defaults in Audyssey, does that not cancel all your Audyssey measurements?

Hey... thanks for replying.

I will report this to Denon and send my pics.

If you reload defaults in Audyssey, does that not cancel all your Audyssey measurements?

Sorry I mean restore the saved (post measurements) settings rather than the factory defaults

@MattyCB

Just got this reply from Denon. Did you get the same and have you tried it?

Screenshot_2018-11-15-09-27-11~2.png

I haven't actually had the issue again. It just happened that one time...?

I didn't receive this guidance will try it and let you know if it resolves the issue which I continue to experience on and off despite having fully updated the firmware.

Hi guys, I'm interested in this unit as it's popped up for £429 in the black Friday sale today.

Could someone please give me an informed opinion as to if its worth upgrading to this unit over my current yamaha rx-v675, which cost me all of £350 back in 2014?

My yamaha has been ok and does the job with no frills but I've always found the vocal clarity in films and TV somewhat lacking.

I currently have a 5.1 set-up with q-acoustics 2000i range speakers and polk floorstanders.

Used for film and video games 90% of the time.

Hi guys, I'm interested in this unit as it's popped up for £429 in the black Friday sale today.

Could someone please give me an informed opinion as to if its worth upgrading to this unit over my current yamaha rx-v675, which cost me all of £350 back in 2014?

My yamaha has been ok and does the job with no frills but I've always found the vocal clarity in films and TV somewhat lacking.

I currently have a 5.1 set-up with q-acoustics 2000i range speakers and polk floorstanders.

Used for film and video games 90% of the time.
More going on here rather than your choice of receiver. Don't want to hi-jack a receiver specific thread but I'd look at your speaker choice and possible positioning. For the best even and tonally balanced sound the front three speakers should be from the same manufacturer and model range. It reads to me that you have Polk left and right with a QA as centre and if that centre is in a cabinet or recessed shelf then there in could be your problem.

Got the receiver yesterday, set up via Audyssey, all good so far.
I did look at what Audyssey set up, crossovers and distances all look quite sensible and it certainly sounds good in the little tests I've done so far.

I do have one question though - Is there any sort of "default" source for the receiver ?

I have ARC working, but lets say I am using game input, I switch the TV to an app or freeview and then switch back to HDMI 2 (the input for the receiver) and the receiver changes its source to CBL/SAT. Is there any way to stop that ?
I know there is a source select for passthrough which I have set to "last used" - this works fine. I'd just like the amp to retain whatever source it was told whilst in operation.

Hi, quick question. How hot does the unit get when the dual outputs are enabled? I have a Sony 1080 but don’t leave the dual outputs on because if the heat it generates - can’t be good for the electronics.

I posted in the 2400 thread, I went into richer sounds yesterday to buy a 2400 for £299 and they offered me the 2500 for £369. So I went with the 2500 with monitor audio radius set of speaker, any tips and tricks I should know?

Hi all,
I recently bought this receiver to replace my Pioneer SC-LX86, which had been a wonderful Receiver so far. However, with the advent and purchase of a 4k LG OLED TV, a PS4 Pro and an Xbox One S I needed a receiver that supported 4k and HDR.

I have had an AWFUL time setting this receiver up. Initially I got no signal from the PS4 Pro and have had to both turn off HDCP and set the resolution to 2160p YUV420 rather than the RGB that it had been set at when connected directly to the TV. The Xbox One S, while it gives me a picture, it is a picture that flickers randomly, and my AppleTV (non 4k) will just not give me any kind of picture at all, and I have had to connect it to the Xbox One S HDMI input.

If ANYONE can give me some advice on getting these problems sorted I will be eternally grateful.

Regards,

Alistair

What happens if you plug the sources directly in to the tv ?

Assuming nothing is faulty, I would suggest its down to the leads ? 4k/HDCP/HDR etc can be fussy. Can confirm I'm running this receiver, a normal PS4 and Xbox One X with no issues using these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FFIDITQ

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Being new to AVRs, what is the general advise around upmixing. For example, if I am watching a movie in DTS, should I be having DTS + N:X, or DD to DD + Sur?

Or leave it on the original without the + xxx.

Being new to AVRs, what is the general advise around upmixing. For example, if I am watching a movie in DTS, should I be having DTS + N:X, or DD to DD + Sur?

Or leave it on the original without the + xxx.
If you have any Atmos speakers then the use of the upmixers are really excellent. Surround and Neural will also upmix 2.0 stereo broadcasts to 5.1 or above, so leaving it on is of benefit.

For DTS HD discs I use Neural and use Surround for all Dolby discs and broadcasts. Neural can sometimes give a somewhat overpowering bass response with Dolby broadcasts so I leave all TV to Surround.

If you have any Atmos speakers then the use of the upmixers are really excellent. Surround and Neural will also upmix 2.0 stereo broadcasts to 5.1 or above, so leaving it on is of benefit.

For DTS HD discs I use Neural and use Surround for all Dolby discs and broadcasts. Neural can sometimes give a somewhat overpowering bass response with Dolby broadcasts so I leave all TV to Surround.
Amazing thank you.

Btw, have you experienced any decrease in picture quality when using hdmi pass through. I find my sky q picture is worse via the Denon when compared to directly plugged into the tv. I have bypass enabled and new hdmi cables.

Amazing thank you.

Btw, have you experienced any decrease in picture quality when using hdmi pass through. I find my sky q picture is worse via the Denon when compared to directly plugged into the tv. I have bypass enabled and new hdmi cables.
Turn off all video enhancements on the receiver. Let your TV do any upscaling (if you have 4K) as it will do a better job. There is no decrease in quality through my 6200 in by-pass mode, although I using a Sky HD box and plasma TV.

Turn off all video enhancements on the receiver. Let your TV do any upscaling (if you have 4K) as it will do a better job. There is no decrease in quality through my 6200 in by-pass mode, although I using a Sky HD box and plasma TV.

I have disabled all processing and set to bypass but I find the picture decreases in quality. It's the only thing find holding me back.

It is hooked up to a Sony A1 which would have much better upscaling however there is a clear difference between sky plugged straight into the TV over via the AVR.

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend this over the Sony strdn1080? That's what I wanted originally but now I'm thinking about getting this tia

I don't have any experience of the Sony, spec wise I don't think there are any huge differences?

What I can tell you is I am quite pleased with the sound from the Denon with everything I've thrown at it so far (including music). The dynamic volume feature really helps with dialog. I've got everything working fully - ARC, 4K HDR etc.

From reading various different forums opinion seems to be a preference for the Denon, it seems largely on reputation and Audyssey, but I'm not sure how much "better" Audyssey really is over Sony's DCAC EX.

Ultimately what pushed me to the Denon were the reports of the Sony handshake problems and the unit self-switching to the home screen after a source is selected (see the owners thread). That said, Denon have their own issues and I paid extra for a 6 year warranty from RS (refunded if no claim is made) as I've noticed a few posts of "my 2.5 year old Denon just died". Anecdotal of course, no hard facts.

This has been easy to setup and playing nicely apart from I seem to be having worse PQ when running the HDMI source via the AVR. So I am having to run Sky Q direct to the TV which defeats the purpose. I am going to speak with Richer Sounds and look to move to the Sony 1080 as I have found a few people mention the same issue I am facing.

What happens if you plug the sources directly in to the tv ?

Assuming nothing is faulty, I would suggest its down to the leads ? 4k/HDCP/HDR etc can be fussy. Can confirm I'm running this receiver, a normal PS4 and Xbox One X with no issues using these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01FFIDITQ

I previously as the sources (just the PS4 Pro and XBox One S) plugged directly into the TV with no issues, it’s just since plugging into the 2500 that I’m experiencing these problems.

I did change the HDMI cables when going from plugging them directly into the TV to plugging them into the amp, as the cables were extra long ones that I’d bought just for that purpose, maybe I should try using those and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom