Denon AVR-X2500H Owners Thread

MattyCB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Now the proud owner of one of these beauties but having some teething problems around Atmos playback. The unit shows the source as Atmos but even with Atmos selected as mode the Dolby Front Left and Right Speakers in the Info screen are not showing as engaged (not solid blue). Has anyone else had this, should they only be lit at the exact moment an Atmos effect is played on that channel?

Thanks

Matt

I suspect there is a problem with your configuration. I would advise you to rerun the setup and check your connections.

I suspect there is a problem with your configuration. I would advise you to rerun the setup and check your connections.[/QUOTE

Thanks I've rerun, not sure if it is a bug but still there if I play Atmos the Info button shows no active Dolby speakers (empty rather than solid blue) if I then go into audyssey and restore settings it comes back for a while then disappears again without me changing anything. Will call Denon as has me doubting the setup even though confident it's setup right.

Check your wiring to the speakers for loose connections and make sure that the firmware in the AVR is up to date. Don't rely on the built in check routine, my 8500 reported that it was up to date when it wasn't because it wouldn't connect to the internet. I had to download up to date firmware and install from USB. Once the new firmware was installed in connected to the Internet with no problems.

Hi, can anyone tell me if this has the GUI overlay menus/volume bar etc on a 4K 60p HDR input?

I can now confirm that it does a GUI overlay (including set up menu) up to 4K 30fps.

On my apple TV's menu screen (4K 60FPS), the volume bar works, and the options (mini menu) work, but if full set up menu is selected screen will go black before displaying setup menu

Are people happy with the sound quality of this receiver? My Onkyo TX - NR646 has just died. This Denon has a similar set of features including a phono input I've never had a Denon before, but have only heard good things about them, and wonder if this will be equal to or better than the Onkyo.

Are people happy with the sound quality of this receiver? My Onkyo TX - NR646 has just died. This Denon has a similar set of features including a phono input I've never had a Denon before, but have only heard good things about them, and wonder if this will be equal to or better than the Onkyo.
Assuming the X2500 follows on like the 2400 & 2300 before it you should find it’s far more musical than the Onkyo. I had an Onkyo 656 then an X2300 which sounded much nicer, less harsh on music but great on movies too. I would also consider an X2400 (last years model) which can be had for around £150 less with almost the same spec.

I'm trying to figure out the differences between the AVRX2400 and the AVRX2500H but failing badly. My brother is after a new AV amp and I'd suggested the AVRX2500H (at his price limit) but I stared to wonder if he would be better off with the AVRX2400.

He runs a 5.1 system but really wants to route everything via his new amp with HDMI. He has an old amp and he streams a lot these days so he can't get 5.1 (no HDMI inputs). Oh, and he listens to Spotify a lot.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to figure out the differences between the AVRX2400 and the AVRX2500H but failing badly. My brother is after a new AV amp and I'd suggested the AVRX2500H (at his price limit) but I stared to wonder if he would be better off with the AVRX2400.

He runs a 5.1 system but really wants to route everything via his new amp with HDMI. He has an old amp and he streams a lot these days so he can't get 5.1 (no HDMI inputs). Oh, and he listens to Spotify a lot.

Personally I would go with the X2400, to all intents they are almost identical, happens every year, the Amp. basically stays the same with just a few (usually not needed) additions. When I bought my X2300 it was originally £499 but as the X2400 came in it dropped to circa £300. The X2400 is only cheaper due to the X2500 appearing on the scene.

Just bought the 2500h as it has a phono input, I don't think the 2400 has.

Wow is all I can say, new owner and delighted. Bought it to replace an Onkyo 646 that just died on me overnight(no sound all of a sudden), and thought I was happy with the sound of that, but this just blows it out of the water. Far superior soundstage to my ears, and just a nicer overall sound.The user interface is great too, and setup was a breeze. Really pleased so far and would recommend to others.

Help required please! Although happy with the performance on films, have been playing some music via dvd audio, sacd, blu ray audio and ordinary CD, and it sounds like it's behind a veil, nowhere near as clear as my old Onkyo. My main beef is lack of top end, is this a Denon characteristic? Is there a setting I can magically adjust to get more clarity? Any help or advice appreciated.

Help required please! Although happy with the performance on films, have been playing some music via dvd audio, sacd, blu ray audio and ordinary CD, and it sounds like it's behind a veil, nowhere near as clear as my old Onkyo. My main beef is lack of top end, is this a Denon characteristic? Is there a setting I can magically adjust to get more clarity? Any help or advice appreciated.
Most of the Denons, my X6200 included, is pretty poor for music, especially stereo. Best to use pure direct. Unfortunately the 2500 has no pre-outs and bringing a stereo amp into the mix is out of the question.

Most of the Denons, my X6200 included, is pretty poor for music, especially stereo. Best to use pure direct. Unfortunately the 2500 has no pre-outs and bringing a stereo amp into the mix is out of the question.
Have tried it on pure, and it's incredibly quiet. Have found that I have to have this receiver on 40-50 whereas my Onkyo was usually on 20-25. I'm kind of thinking l might have to return this if I'm not going to get decent music reproduction, was hoping for a decent all rounder.

Have tried it on pure, and it's incredibly quiet. Have found that I have to have this receiver on 40-50 whereas my Onkyo was usually on 20-25. I'm kind of thinking l might have to return this if I'm not going to get decent music reproduction, was hoping for a decent all rounder.
If you want a better solution for music as well as film then you would be better off looking at a Marantz. As for relating the volume it's always better to use the dB scale rather than the absolute scale.

I've just got a X2500H and quite pleased with it.

I have a question regarding Video output setting. By default it is set to auto but there are options for Game, Movie and Bypass.

As I use this for gaming on a Panasonic OLED, I was wondering what the best option is as I do not want to be adding any input lag/latency to it. Last night I choose bypass but is it OK to leave on Auto?

I've just got a X2500H and quite pleased with it.

I have a question regarding Video output setting. By default it is set to auto but there are options for Game, Movie and Bypass.

As I use this for gaming on a Panasonic OLED, I was wondering what the best option is as I do not want to be adding any input lag/latency to it. Last night I choose bypass but is it OK to leave on Auto?

If you want a GUI overlay and volume bar, leave on auto. But if you dont need volume bar, and dont mind screen switching to black if you go into the menus, choose bypass, this will mean no processing at all. 99% of the time there is no difference (as long as youre doing no scaling), however on Blade Runner 2049 there are some scenes that will display posterization on auto, but play perfectly with bypass.

If you want a GUI overlay and volume bar, leave on auto. But if you dont need volume bar, and dont mind screen switching to black if you go into the menus, choose bypass, this will mean no processing at all. 99% of the time there is no difference (as long as youre doing no scaling), however on Blade Runner 2049 there are some scenes that will display posterization on auto, but play perfectly with bypass.

Many thanks, for the consoles I have opted for bypass just incase :)

Hi, just got this amp and got a question on the hdmi outputs.

I have a samsung tv on hdmi 1 for during the day and a Benq w2000 projecter on hdmi 2 for watching films etc. It takes quite a bit of messing around to get the amp to fire up with the projector without the tv coming on. Is there a simple way to just switch between the outputs? Or is there a certain order in which to switch things on?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom