Denon AVR-X2500H Owners Thread

I just want to ask something about speakers on this receiver.. Where did you put atmos speakers, and is it better to put atmos on front speakers, or rear?? I have Onkyo Atmos enabled speakers..

There's another update around that takes the firmware to 1600 -9153 or something

that disabled my surround modes selection until I restarted it (yet again)

I'm on 4600-9172-7031-0025
DTS - 3.90.50.00

OK I swapped the speaker connections round from back to front and got sound from the back but none from the front. I wired them up correctly then did a factory reset and it is as it was when I connected it up the first time with no sound from the surround speakers, just the front left, right, centre and the sub woofer.

I will contact AV Online tomorrow and see what they say and hopefully arrange to go and see them on Tuesday.

I have x2500H with 5.1.
3 QA 3010 as fronts and centre, 2 tannoy mini eclipse as surround, sub is a REL Storm very old my dad gave me. This is just temporary until I get the 3090C then I'll put the surrounds as QA3010.

The sound seems really quiet, at volume 30 its quite quiet, at 40 its okay. For movies I tend to put it at 50-58. Then comes the problem, at +50 the receiver gets quite hot and can get to around 60-62c! The room starts getting quite warm. I measured with a infrared thermometer. It's too hot that I can't keep my palm on the top of the receiver metal. This is mostly on the left side of the receiver when looking at it from the front then above. I can play sound louder on my Q7FN without worrying about the heat issues!

Is this normal? It is in open space as I have no TV stand yet so plenty of ventilation. I've only had it just under 2 weeks. First few days of using it there was smell like some faint burning smell but that has gone now I believe. It hasn't gone into protection mode yet.

I am using manual settings and set all speakers to small after doing the auto calibration as it set some of my speakers large. Crossover are set all set to 90 with the sub LFE set to 120. Oh the speakers are on the floor also currently as I haven't decided on stands or wall mount yet.

Anyone else with experience using the 3010 on this receiver or the high heat?

I have x2500H with 5.1.
3 QA 3010 as fronts and centre, 2 tannoy mini eclipse as surround, sub is a REL Storm very old my dad gave me. This is just temporary until I get the 3090C then I'll put the surrounds as QA3010.

The sound seems really quiet, at volume 30 its quite quiet, at 40 its okay. For movies I tend to put it at 50-58. Then comes the problem, at +50 the receiver gets quite hot and can get to around 60-62c! The room starts getting quite warm. I measured with a infrared thermometer. It's too hot that I can't keep my palm on the top of the receiver metal. This is mostly on the left side of the receiver when looking at it from the front then above. I can play sound louder on my Q7FN without worrying about the heat issues!

Is this normal? It is in open space as I have no TV stand yet so plenty of ventilation. I've only had it just under 2 weeks. First few days of using it there was smell like some faint burning smell but that has gone now I believe. It hasn't gone into protection mode yet.

I am using manual settings and set all speakers to small after doing the auto calibration as it set some of my speakers large. Crossover are set all set to 90 with the sub LFE set to 120. Oh the speakers are on the floor also currently as I haven't decided on stands or wall mount yet.

Anyone else with experience using the 3010 on this receiver or the high heat?
All Denons run quite toasty. If there is any danger from overheating then the safety system will shut it down to prevent damage. You have an Eco button on the remote, it can be used to reduce the heat with a fully on and auto setting.

As for your volume then set the volume control from the absolute scale to the dB scale. Most people find that listening at between -15 to -20dB is about right for film. It will be higher for broadcast TV.

The ideal crossover would be 80hz for the fronts, the surrounds can go higher if you want, I run my KEF R100 surrounds at 100hz. It should be pointed out that you should not set the crossovers to higher lower than that registered by Audyssey. Speakers on the floor are really going to mess up your sound. Get those stands sooner rather than later and re-run Audyssey.

All Denons run quite toasty. If there is any danger from overheating then the safety system will shut it down to prevent damage. You have an Eco button on the remote, it can be used to reduce the heat with a fully on and auto setting.

As for your volume then set the volume control from the absolute scale to the dB scale. Most people find that listening at between -15 to -20dB is about right for film. It will be higher for broadcast TV.

The ideal crossover would be 80hz for the fronts, the surrounds can go higher if you want, I run my KEF R100 surrounds at 100hz. It should be pointed out that you should not set the crossovers to higher lower than that registered by Audyssey. Speakers on the floor are really going to mess up your sound. Get those stands sooner rather than later and re-run Audyssey.
Generally sorting out the ventilation is preferred to using ECO as that also limits the peak amplifier power quite severely. Very useful as a temporary solution and/or if peak power isn’t needed though.

There are lots of threads on Denon’s Audyssey EQ system that I won’t try to repeat here. I would say it usually comes up with a lower /deeper crossover frequency than you would think or ideally choose.
My approach is if any or all the speakers test below 60Hz I’d go for a manually set 80Hz as above. For any others that test higher add 30% to the measured value and manual set the nearest value (but reconsider the speakers /placement if that is going to be over 250-300Hz.)

Generally sorting out the ventilation is preferred to using ECO as that also limits the peak amplifier power quite severely. Very useful as a temporary solution and/or if peak power isn’t needed though.
My X6200 has Eco mode turned off and it still runs hot even though the front stereo pair are powered by a separate amp. Enclosed in a cabinet with more than adequate ventilation and a sliding door which is left open during operation I've never had a problem with shut downs. I believe @hazual has his 2500 on an open shelf so ventilation is fine. Many new Denon owners worry about how hot they get.

I took my Denon back to AVonline this afternoon and it worked fine in their demo room but when I came back home I still do not get any sound out of the surround speakers and when I switch the front connections to the surround and the surround to the front I am not getting the reversal like I did when I tried it over the weekend.

I asked a friend to look at it this evening and he suggested that although my existing speaker wires were OK for my old Sony 5.1 system that they were not a high enough quality for my new setup, especially as the Mission speakers I am using are only 4 ohms impedance. Maybe the Sony speakers were 8 ohms but I can not see anything online or in the manual to say what they were and that was why they worked OK before.

So it looks like a rewiring job when I get some better wire, I just hope I can just fasten some to the existing wires and pull the new wires into place without anything snapping under the floor :(

OK better wire fixed the surround speaker problem, I just have to see if I can get them under the floor again now as at the moment they are trailing around the room and temporarily pinned up above a door.

After reading through this thread, I’ve yet to hear anyone really say that they’re really happy with their 2500! Mine is arriving tomorrow to replace my Onkyo nr-tx609. Like many I was between the 2500 or the Sony dn1080. Went for the the Denon as it was a bit newer..... guess I’ll find out soon enough if I’ve made the right choice :rotfl:

I can't fault the Denon now as it was only a small IDtenT error as once I replaced the wiring it worked perfectly. :)

I will be even happier when I finally get my ceiling speakers fitted as you can see my problems with those in this thread if you care to read it :confused:

Damsel in distress, in ceiling speaker help needed

You must remember when it comes to forums such as these that most people only post or make comments when they have problems. If everything is fine, as it is 99% of the time for most people, they rarely mention it so I am sure you will be very happy with your Denon when it arrives :)

I’m sure you’ll get it figured out. My 2500 arrived yesterday, nice and easy set up - 20 mins at most and got Alexa controlling bits and pieces. Only really annoyance is the HEOS music app showing every time I switch the damn thing on. Apart from that, a bump in audio quality from my old Onkyo, quite like the app for making adjustments. Happy camper

I don't get that happening to mine but I did create an account even though I don't use it at the moment so maybe that has stopped it from starting when I switch it on.

Evening all,
How do I watch video whilst listening to music on Spotify or Tidal.
When I select the video channel via the option button on the remote - enable and select sky (in this instance) - nothing happens - it just reverts to the spotify album cover screen ?
The manual says : Supported input sources : ipod/USB/CD/Tuner/online music/Bluetooth/Phono ...
Seems to work on CD/phono playback ie. video displays but not Spotify/Tidal o_O

Last edited:
Hello,

Sorry if this is obvious, or daft.

Just got a AVR-X2500H and hooked up.

I have a Panasonic TV which has 4K on HDMI 4 only. I have connected HDMI 4 to ARC in the AVR and ensured ARC is set to HDMI 4 on the TV (selectable 2 or 4).

I also have Sky Q, connected to Cab/Sat on AVR. I have set Sky Q to output Dolby Digital, and all is working ok, with the AVR info showing input signal is DD.

Now when viewing Sky, there is no sound from TV speakers, as Sky output is set to digital. Obviously this is not normally an issue, as receiver will be on and connected to speakers, but on odd times when it would be preferable to use pass through, and have sound from TV speakers (kids, happy wife) it means having to go back and change sky output to normal. Video is working on pass through as expected but no sound - my question is just if there is another trick to keep sound from TV speakers as an option when using pass through, and leaving Sky set to digital, and with only ARC connection between AVR and TV?

Cheers

Hi guys,
would you be so kind and advice how can i set and memorize HDMI output for quick channel buttons on my Denon AVR-X2500H?

i have followed the process:
1. press Main zone button with the remote
2. press and hold quick select with number i want to memorized on the display
3. how the hell can i choose "9" HDMI output regarding to manual?

1569830130532.png

- when i follow the manual i just memorized only the input source "1" for those quick select buttons..am i stupid ot i just missed something?

thank you very much,
Jan

it means just memorize the current situation (HDMI output 1 for example) than manually switch HDMI output to "2" in setup menu and memorize it for another quick select button?

Configure the AV receiver exactly as you'd like it to be configured prior to then saving that configuration to one of the QUICK SELECT keys. The output configuration the receiver was set to will be saved to that key.

Anyone noticed a drop in image quality when running 4k from sky q and a 4k player through the amp to the tv or projector?

Anyone noticed a drop in image quality when running 4k from sky q and a 4k player through the amp to the tv or projector?
Answered in the Sony thread that you posted in and several other threads. Posting in too many threads is just going to add to your confusion and other members frustration. Keep to one thread please.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom