Denon AVR-X2500H Owners Thread

Anyone noticed a drop in image quality when running 4k from sky q and a 4k player through the amp to the tv or projector?

Probably better starting your own topic rather than just posting in every Denon related thread.

Doh, why isn't there a delete post button, at least for a few minutes like other forums?

Sorry guys just wanting to get sorted and order the new amp. Leaning towards the 2400 over the sony 1080 now tbh. I know someone selling one for about £230.

hi All,
I'm pretty new in this forum. i'm looking for a replace for my old Denon AVR-1909. I found at cheap price a Denon AVR-X2400H . is the 2500 or 2600 model worth for the difference price? I can find avr-2400h @ 390euro , 2500h 470euro and 2600h 550euro

thanks!

Vamp

hi All,
I'm pretty new in this forum. i'm looking for a replace for my old Denon AVR-1909. I found at cheap price a Denon AVR-X2400H . is the 2500 or 2600 model worth for the difference price? I can find avr-2400h @ 390euro , 2500h 470euro and 2600h 550euro

thanks!

Vamp
There will be little, if any, difference in the audio performance of any of the 2XXX receivers. The difference is more evolution than revolution. If you go the Denon web site you can do a side by side comparison of the three models and see what tickles your fancy and decide where your money should go.

There will be little, if any, difference in the audio performance of any of the 2XXX receivers. The difference is more evolution than revolution. If you go the Denon web site you can do a side by side comparison of the three models and see what tickles your fancy and decide where your money should go.
thanks gibbsy

hi guys,
i just bought a new Apple TV 4K box but unfortunately known issue with HDR came out during the setup.
All the HDMI fiber cables of PJ and TV were able to switch for HDR when i connected them directly with ATV so there should be some problem with my Denon 2500...
After some searching I found a manual how to test cables via HDMI diagnostic test of my AVR and the cables passed (4k 6G pass) so I have changed all the limits (resolutions, HDR, etc) for Non limit and hoped it will work. Unfortunately it doesnt...

additional info:
- Video/Output settings/Video mode: Bypass
- 4K Signal format - custom
- actual firmware

Do you have any idea or advice how can i make it?

thank you

EDIT: after some tries i found i can set 4K HDR 30Hz on the ATV which is the highest limit i see at AVR HDMI diagnostic tool. 4K HDR 60Hz does work only if i connect the PJ/TV directly with ATV.
Strange that AVR allows me only 4K 3G not 6G as diagnostic showed after HDMI test.

Last edited:
Hi will someone test the following please

our planet, on Netflix via ATV4K app

through denon 2500 to Af9

the atmos enabled track goes Crazy, with the dialogue from the Center channel intermittently playing through the rear surround speakers, then back to normal

this happens on all atmos content through Netflix on ATV4K box

iTunes atmos movies on the other hand have no issues and play flawlessly

cheers

Evening all,
Just squandered some money on a new TV 😎
Plugging it all in - what benefit is the ARC on the HDMI ?
I connect my SkyQ box directly to the 2500 and then to the old TV - so is really just a monitor - dont think I need worry about ARC on the new one ?
While the new TV has everything and the kitchen sink - I will only really use SkyQ so is the ARC somewhat superfluous ?

Evening all,
Just squandered some money on a new TV 😎
Plugging it all in - what benefit is the ARC on the HDMI ?
I connect my SkyQ box directly to the 2500 and then to the old TV - so is really just a monitor - dont think I need worry about ARC on the new one ?
While the new TV has everything and the kitchen sink - I will only really use SkyQ so is the ARC somewhat superfluous ?
Best to connect the SkyQ box direct to the 2500 using pass through. This will give you Dolby Digital Plus along with the Atmos metadata from programmes that contain it. ARC can be a real pain even with new TVs which will only be solved when all TVs and receivers have eARC on board.

Are you aware of the SkyQ black screen problems with some Denon receivers?

ARC allows you to convey audio sourced via the TV back to the AV receiver using the HDMI cable between them. THe advantages associated with this are that the AV receiver would automatically switch itself to the associated ARC TV source if an audio signal is detected and that Atmos metadta can be conveyed in association with DD+ formatted audio used by some streaming services such as Netflix. Some TVs allow you to access this Atmos audio via the Netflix app insalled on them, but not all TVs have this ability.

If not wanting to output audio from the TV to your AV receiver then you'd not need or benefit from ARC.

Best feature of ARC is it auto mutes the TV when sound is coming from the AVR :)

Best feature of ARC is it auto mutes the TV when sound is coming from the AVR :)

Not exactly. It actually auto switches the AV receiver to the ARC source when it detects audio. THere'sd be nothing sourced via the TV to mute if not in use.

Not exactly. It actually auto switches the AV receiver to the ARC source when it detects audio. THere'sd be nothing sourced via the TV to mute if not in use.

Nope, I have my Sky HD connected directly to a non ARC hdmi on the TV and only optical from the Sky box to the AVR. When I put the AVR onto the input with the Sky's optical assigned to it it mutes the TV speakers. TV is still showing video from the non ARC connection.

Obviously in @maghouse's scenario there'd be nothing there to mute though.

Optical has no ability what so ever to mute anything or switch source. ARC uses HDMI CEC to switch sources, not mute the TV. It isn't ARC in itself doing this and is facilitated by HDMI CEC. Even eARC requires CEC to be enabled in order to do this and even though you'd still be able to use eARC without CEC, you'd still need CEC engaged in order to facilitate the auto switching. Look in a Denon or Marantz receiver's HDMI configurations. The feature is termed "TV AUDIO SWITCHING" and not muting.

The only time your TV's speakers would be engaged is if the AV receiver were turned off or put into standby. THe speakers are inoperable whilst the AV receiver is in use and while ARC is engaged regardless of the source you select on the AV receiver. It doesn't matter what HDMI input your select on the TV, the TV's speakers would remain inactive and ARC hasn't muted them. You will have had to have set the TV's speakers to the ARC/Theatre option in order to have been able to use ARC and the TV will not engage its speakers regardless of the source it is set to as long as it dectects that the AV receiver is operable.

The TV's speakers are in effect switched off and not accessible as long as the AV receiver is detected by the TV while ARC is enagaged and the AV receiver not in standby.

The TV cannot mute something that was never in use to begin with. The TV's speakers are disengaged as long as ARC is actively detecting another ARC enabled device.

TV Audio Switching
Sets automatic switching to the “TV Audio” input when a TV connected
via HDMI sends an appropriate CEC control command to this unit.

By the way, your SKY box is a source and not an AVR and isn't ARC enabled. It makes no odds as to which HDMI input you connect it to, the associated audio would still be passed through the TV and out to the AV receiver via the TV's ARC enabled input. Not sure as to why you are using an additional optical connection unless your TV is one of those unable to passthrough multichannel sources if the source is connected externally to the TV?

Last edited:
Optical has no ability what so ever to mute anything or switch source. ARC uses HDMI CEC to switch sources, not mute the TV. It isn't ARC in itself doing this and is facilitated by HDMI CEC. Even eARC requires CEC to be enabled in order to do this and even though you'd still be able to use eARC without CEC, you'd still need CEC engaged in order to facilitate the auto switching. Look in a Denon or Marantz receiver's HDMI configurations. The feature is termed "TV AUDIO SWITCHING" and not muting.

The only time your TV's speakers would be engaged is if the AV receiver were turned off or put into standby. THe speakers are inoperable whilst the AV receiver is in use and while ARC is engaged regardless of the source you select on the AV receiver. It doesn't matter what HDMI input your select on the TV, the TV's speakers would remain inactive and ARC hasn't muted them. You will have had to have set the TV's speakers to the ARC/Theatre option in order to have been able to use ARC and the TV will not engage its speakers regardless of the source it is set to as long as it dectects that the AV receiver is operable.

The TV's speakers are in effect switched off and not accessible as long as the AV receiver is detected by the TV while ARC is enagaged and the AV receiver not in standby.

The TV cannot mute something that was never in use to begin with. The TV's speakers are disengaged as long as ARC is actively detecting another ARC enabled device.

By the way, your SKY box is a source and not an AVR and isn't ARC enabled. It makes no odds as to which HDMI input you connect it to, the associated audio would still be passed through the TV and out to the AV receiver via the TV's ARC enabled input. Not sure as to why you are using an additional optical connection unless your TV is one of those unable to passthrough multichannel sources if the source is connected externally to the TV?

Why do you keep insisting on arguing points where you are just taking wild, and wrong, guesses when I have the kit in front of me and that's how it works. Not even reading the post properly and claiming I've said something I haven't doesn't help either!

You have a huge amount of great info to share but sometimes you do insist on wrecking your cred with rubbish like this. We've even done the how Denon's handle ARC and CEC before but you obviously didn't learn from it! I wouldn't claim to know how your system works so why claim you know how mine does?

Because you are incorrect.

ARC doesn't mute your TV's speakers. The speakers are never engaged while the TV detects the presence of an ARC enabled AV receiver or soundbar if HDMI Control and ARC are engaged and the TV's own speaker settings are set to the optionn that related to HDMI ARC. The only time the TV's own speakers would come back into use is if you detach the receiver/soundbar or if such a device is put into standby. If this is the case then audio sourced via the TV would then be portrayed via the TV's own speakers. This is why you can set an AVR to passthrough in standby and still have the associated audio portrayed by the TV's own speakers even if ARC is engaged onboard the AVR and the TV.

The TV's speakers cannot be engaged at all unless the AVR is in standby while ARC is engaged. The TV isn't even prcessing the audio and is simply bypassing the circuitry ordinarilly associated with doing so. How can you mute speakers that are not actually in use?

All ARC does is set the AV receiver to the source associated with ARC if and when audio is detected on the Audio Return Channel. This is fascilitated by CEC. The TV's speakers where already not in use and were not portraying anything.

Last edited:
This is a question about the AVRX2600H, but as there's no owners thread, thought this would a good place to ask. We are using ours for a Community Cinema, but the equipment is located backstage and the operator cannot see whats being sent to the projector for the audience. We'd like to add a small monitor to the second HDMI output, to duplicate the video output and allow us to key up the start of the movie, and pause at the right time etc. My question is - will this work? Can the receiver output 2 hdmi signals at the same time at possibly different screen resolutions?

This is a question about the AVRX2600H, but as there's no owners thread, thought this would a good place to ask. We are using ours for a Community Cinema, but the equipment is located backstage and the operator cannot see whats being sent to the projector for the audience. We'd like to add a small monitor to the second HDMI output, to duplicate the video output and allow us to key up the start of the movie, and pause at the right time etc. My question is - will this work? Can the receiver output 2 hdmi signals at the same time at possibly different screen resolutions?

Yes you could do this, but you'd need to ensure that such a monitor has the same video handling capabilities as the PJ has. THe receiver would automatically default to the least capable devices video abilities. The actual size of the screen isn't the issue, but the resolution each can handle would be.

snapshot003.jpg

What you cannot do is output different resolutions to each seperate output.The 2 outputs are basically mirrored and subject to the same processing being applied by the AV receiver.

Last edited:
Best to connect the SkyQ box direct to the 2500 using pass through. This will give you Dolby Digital Plus along with the Atmos metadata from programmes that contain it. ARC can be a real pain even with new TVs which will only be solved when all TVs and receivers have eARC on board.

Are you aware of the SkyQ black screen problems with some Denon receivers?

eek not sure about pass through … sorry …

Played a few movies and the sounds was fine - as it always was before so I guess leave alone :)

Yep - heard lots about the 'black screen issue but so far so good … famous last words 😑

eek not sure about pass through … sorry …

Played a few movies and the sounds was fine - as it always was before so I guess leave alone :)

Yep - heard lots about the 'black screen issue but so far so good … famous last words 😑
The 2500 has the ability to pass through both audio and video from any HDMI source, in your case Sky. You can enable it in the HDMI settings on the set up menu. When you turn the unit off on the remote the green light will turn red to show that pass through has been triggered and the audio will resort to the TV's speakers. It takes the need out of having to mute the TV's speakers when the receiver is in use.

The 2500 has the ability to pass through both audio and video from any HDMI source, in your case Sky. You can enable it in the HDMI settings on the set up menu. When you turn the unit off on the remote the green light will turn red to show that pass through has been triggered and the audio will resort to the TV's speakers. It takes the need out of having to mute the TV's speakers when the receiver is in use.

I see … thanks for the explanation as ever :thumbsup:

Because you are incorrect.

ARC doesn't mute your TV's speakers. The speakers are never engaged while the TV detects the presence of an ARC enabled AV receiver or soundbar if HDMI Control and ARC are engaged and the TV's own speaker settings are set to the optionn that related to HDMI ARC. The only time the TV's own speakers would come back into use is if you detach the receiver/soundbar or if such a device is put into standby. If this is the case then audio sourced via the TV would then be portrayed via the TV's own speakers. This is why you can set an AVR to passthrough in standby and still have the associated audio portrayed by the TV's own speakers even if ARC is engaged onboard the AVR and the TV.

The TV's speakers cannot be engaged at all unless the AVR is in standby while ARC is engaged. The TV isn't even prcessing the audio and is simply bypassing the circuitry ordinarilly associated with doing so. How can you mute speakers that are not actually in use?

All ARC does is set the AV receiver to the source associated with ARC if and when audio is detected on the Audio Return Channel. This is fascilitated by CEC. The TV's speakers where already not in use and were not portraying anything.

Lol, you contradicted yourself, then agreed it works how I said it does and finished by trying to argue the opposite again. I said there is no video or audio feed being used over the arc connected hdmi, it is literally just muting the TV speakers when the avr is turned on.

Try reading what people write, stick to stuff you actually know and preach less, it's not just me, you do it regularly. The way you talk to some members is borderline bullying, good example the other day when you insisted a member's amp wasn't how it actually was because Google showed something else and as per usual, no apology when you were proved wrong.

I'd happilly apologies to anyone if I'm actually proven wrong, but in your case this is not the case.

ARC doesn't mute speakers. Isn't this what you said and what you insist it does?

The TV's speakers are not even in use or accessible while ARC is enabled and the receiver isn't in standby. How can it mute the speakers if the speakers are not even operable on the TV? THe AV receiver would have to be in standby for the TV's own speakers to be once again used by the TV in instances where ARC is enabled.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom