Denon AVR-X2500H Owners Thread

Query ...
Usually watch all my TV through my SkyQ box connected directly to the 2500 via HDMI - all good.
Got a new smart TV and part of the services offered is Rakuten TV (bit like Netflix I guess) but anyway - I can only access sound on the TV speakers.
Read the destructions for the 2500 and it mentions using an opt cable to connect the TV directly to the 2500 via the TV opt in - did all that - no sound through the 2500 ?
What am I missing ?
Confused . com 🤔

Query ...
Usually watch all my TV through my SkyQ box connected directly to the 2500 via HDMI - all good.
Got a new smart TV and part of the services offered is Rakuten TV (bit like Netflix I guess) but anyway - I can only access sound on the TV speakers.
Read the destructions for the 2500 and it mentions using an opt cable to connect the TV directly to the 2500 via the TV opt in - did all that - no sound through the 2500 ?
What am I missing ?
Confused . com 🤔
Have you configured the audio setting for SPDIF on the TV? Don't have a Sammy so cannot help further than to tell you to look at those settings. Also you will have to assign the optical on the 2500.

Have you configured the audio setting for SPDIF on the TV? Don't have a Sammy so cannot help further than to tell you to look at those settings. Also you will have to assign the optical on the 2500.

Hi Gibbsy, not looked at any of those settings I must admit …. however ...

It occurred to me that ARC should work but didn't - hence the opt connection … much searching through the manual showed that ARC was set to 'off by default - turned it ON … guess what - it all works perfectly :)

Happy bunny 🐰

Is Denon avr-x2500 any good in stereo (for tidal stream and FLAC from USB), and comparable with,say, POINEER A30, or similar stereo amp?

Is Denon avr-x2500 any good in stereo (for tidal stream and FLAC from USB), and comparable with,say, POINEER A30, or similar stereo amp?

I use TIDAL all the time - with a set of QA3050i's - sounds excellent
Set to 'Pure and loud !

Cant compare it with much as my old system was a mish-mash and some quite old bits but the 2500 & QA's sounds rather good with TIDAL master and MQA (if you can find the albums) - also Spotify sounds good ...

I use TIDAL all the time - with a set of QA3050i's - sounds excellent
Set to 'Pure and loud !

Cant compare it with much as my old system was a mish-mash and some quite old bits but the 2500 & QA's sounds rather good with TIDAL master and MQA (if you can find the albums) - also Spotify sounds good ...
I use QA3020 with PIONEER A30, and planed to change amp with avr. In that case i will exclude from system tuner, cd, google chromecast audio and amp, and hopefully make things simplyer. And step by step, develop souround system as bonus.
Or,as a backup plan, to keep amp, and use it as a power amp for stereo, and avr as a preamp. This plan is obviosly expensive...

It will be usable but not great. Receivers are not reknown for their musical ability and will be outperformed by a comparable stereo amp.

Yes you could do this, but you'd need to ensure that such a monitor has the same video handling capabilities as the PJ has. THe receiver would automatically default to the least capable devices video abilities. The actual size of the screen isn't the issue, but the resolution each can handle would be.

View attachment 1213113

What you cannot do is output different resolutions to each seperate output.The 2 outputs are basically mirrored and subject to the same processing being applied by the AV receiver.
Hi
I’ve just purchased the same model and it outputs superbly to my main Sony KD75xd9405 and monitor 2 LG Oled65c9pla.
However on Auto the monitor 2 tv appears to be the dominant tv as it requires to be switched on to initially get a signal to monitor 1.
After signal received the monitor 2 can be switched off and signal remains with monitor 1.
Main tv connected with Arc To Avrx2600h.
Monitor 2 connected not in Arc to output 2 with a 15 metre Wyrestorm 18gbps HDMI over active optical cable.
What am I missing, monitor 1 should have priority.
😪😩 Any suggestions appreciated. 👍

It is not possible for the two HDMI outputs operate simultaneously with different resolutions.

If the two connected units are in operation simultaneously, the highest common resolution is used ( if possible ) If only one of the connected devices is turned on, the highest possible resolution of this equipment is used.

The least capable TV will determine what the source outputs to the AV receiver and what the AV receiver outputs via both outputs. The 2 outputs are not independant of one another and are simply mirrored.

• If both the HDMI MONITOR 1 and HDMI MONITOR 2 connectors are connected and “Resolution” is set to “Auto”, the signals are output with a resolution that is compatible with both TVs.
  • When the “Resolution” setting in the menu is not set to “Auto”, set the resolution in “Video” - “HDMI Monitor 1” and “HDMI Monitor 2” to one that is compatible with both TVs.
  • When connecting multiple Dolby Vision TVs, the signal will only be optimal for one TV. A TV connected to the HDMI MONITOR 1 connector has priority.

Also note that the TVs still broadcast their EDID data back to the other devices in the HDMI chain even if in standby. The least capable display will still determine what is output by the source and the AV receiver even if that display is in standby. You'd need to set the receiver's HDMI output configurations to just the other display or disconnect the least capable display from the mains electricity supply to counter this. This would also prevent EDID conflicts between the 2 TVs from causing confusion to the source as to what it can legitimately output.

Denon/Marantz do not unfortunately fascilitate on the fly switching between one output and the other and do not provide a button on its remotes that would allow this. Other manufacturers such as Yamaha do though and this does go some way as to preventing many of the issue experienced by DEnon owner who own a model with dual HDMI outputs that they utilise.

I'd suggest turning the TV not in use off at the mains while using the other TV.

Last edited:

The least capable TV will determine what the source outputs to the AV receiver and what the AV receiver outputs via both outputs. The 2 outputs are not independant of one another and are simply mirrored.

• If both the HDMI MONITOR 1 and HDMI MONITOR 2 connectors are connected and “Resolution” is set to “Auto”, the signals are output with a resolution that is compatible with both TVs.
  • When the “Resolution” setting in the menu is not set to “Auto”, set the resolution in “Video” - “HDMI Monitor 1” and “HDMI Monitor 2” to one that is compatible with both TVs.
  • When connecting multiple Dolby Vision TVs, the signal will only be optimal for one TV. A TV connected to the HDMI MONITOR 1 connector has priority.

Also note that the TVs still broadcast their EDID data back to the other devices in the HDMI chain even if in standby. The least capable display will still determine what is output by the source and the AV receiver even if that display is in standby. You'd need to set the receiver's HDMI output configurations to just the other display or disconnect the least capable display from the mains electricity supply to counter this. This would also prevent EDID conflicts between the 2 TVs from causing confusion to the source as to what it can legitimately output.

Denon/Marantz do not unfortunately fascilitate on the fly switching between one output and the other and do not provide a button on its remotes that would allow this. Other manufacturers such as Yamaha do though and this does go some way as to preventing many of the issue experienced by DEnon owner who own a model with dual HDMI outputs that they utilise.

I'd suggest turning the TV not in use off at the mains while using the other TV.

Hi
That’s brilliant advice, just unplugged the no2 monitor(LG65 C9 Oled) and success.
The no1 tv now works as it should and responds correctly on auto.
I know now I have to keep the 2nd tv unplugged to avoid a lot of messing about to get the signal to monitor 1 on auto.
Many thanks for your advice and any suggestions for a tv calibration business in the south west. 😊👍

I live up north and winter is coming!

Quick question - I had to redo my Audyssey calibration due to mucking up the bass volume and ever since I've noticed on Sky Q - that all channels are coming out as Dolby Surround on the front panel display even when the input is showing 2.0 the output from the AV is 5.1. Weirdly I can go to some other channels and I get stereo displayed now and again while proper 5.1 input from Sky from Movies etc outputs properly and displays properly.

I've set it to Auto surround mode and it makes no difference. Is this normal for Sky Q or am I missing something simple.

Quick question - I had to redo my Audyssey calibration due to mucking up the bass volume and ever since I've noticed on Sky Q - that all channels are coming out as Dolby Surround on the front panel display even when the input is showing 2.0 the output from the AV is 5.1. Weirdly I can go to some other channels and I get stereo displayed now and again while proper 5.1 input from Sky from Movies etc outputs properly and displays properly.

I've set it to Auto surround mode and it makes no difference. Is this normal for Sky Q or am I missing something simple.
Not all programmes on SkyQ are in 5.1. Those in Dolby 2.0 will be upmixed by Surround to 5.1 but those with PCM 2.0 will not. PCM is usually confined to the SD channels.

Not all programmes on SkyQ are in 5.1. Those in Dolby 2.0 will be upmixed by Surround to 5.1 but those with PCM 2.0 will not. PCM is usually confined to the SD channels.
Thanks for the clarification. I hadn’t really noticed it until the recalibration. Probably due to stressing over the bass!

makes sense now.

One more question as I’m getting increasingly frustrated by my setup since running Audyssey again. Seeing it has set new levels and EQ I’ve noticed I have to have the volume set to at least -32db to get it to the same sound level I used to have when set at -40db. Is this normal or has something else changed.

I have never dynamic volume set and only use Dynamic EQ.

Also the surround speakers sound really loud compared to the fronts when in use.Yet using the speaker level settings it sounds ok.

Going mad!

One more question as I’m getting increasingly frustrated by my setup since running Audyssey again. Seeing it has set new levels and EQ I’ve noticed I have to have the volume set to at least -32db to get it to the same sound level I used to have when set at -40db. Is this normal or has something else changed.

I have never dynamic volume set and only use Dynamic EQ.

Also the surround speakers sound really loud compared to the fronts when in use.Yet using the speaker level settings it sounds ok.

Going mad!

All AV receivers are calibrated in accordance with the same reference level and it is to this reference that the scale you are using relates. If correctly calibrated then - 32db would equate to the exact same SPL via one setup as another if and when measured from the primary listening position the receiver was calibrated relative to.

If doubting your receiver's calibrated levels then disengage THe Audyssey EQ correction and Dynamic settings, engage the receiver's test tome and set the receiver's master volume to 75db. Use an handheld SPL meter or SPL app on a cell phone to measure the output from each speaker while located in your primary listening location. Each speaker should be giving you the same level and this should ideally be in the region of 75db. Note that you'd be advised to set the meters weighting to C and have it set to give a slow response.

If you've altered the levels in the option menu then you've changed the calibrated levels to something different to reference. Note that these settings in the OPTIONS are only applicable to the source you had the receiver set to when you made the alterations. The correct levels should still be unchanged in the main speaker configurations unless you've altered these as well?

Thanks. Ran Audyssey and it set my center speaker cross over to 250. Left/right 200 and surrounds 150. I have the Cambridge Minx 22’s and the x201 sub.

just feel like no matter what I do the surrounds are too loud and games such as god of war has lower front sounds-which make it harder to hear. I know you can raise the center speaker levels to improve dialogue but as usual with game’s, voices are across all speakers dependant on position

think I’m going mad!

Hello all,
Quick question is it possible to hook up two Blu-ray players? I have a new Sony UBPX800M2 that is region locked (Blu-ray) and an older Pioneer 330 Blu-ray that isn't.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hello all,
Quick question is it possible to hook up two Blu-ray players? I have a new Sony UBPX800M2 that is region locked (Blu-ray) and an older Pioneer 330 Blu-ray that isn't.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Yes. Simply use a vacant HDMI port on the back.

Thanks. It doesn't matter if a bluray player is in a dvd hdmi slot?
No. They are only labelled for convenience. There is no different between them. You can change the name of the input in the HDMI settings so that will show on the fascia display.

First of all thanks one and all for the quick replies and help. Another question, has anyone experienced the unit turning on by itself? This morning (while getting ready to head out), I heard a 'click' and the unit turned on by itself. I had not touched the remote controls or had used the unit since the evening before. The display showed 'stereo' and TV. I turned the unit off and it did not try to come on again.
Thanks in advance...

Has anyone used the AXR-X2500H with the Samsung UBD-K8500 4K Bluray player?
If so do you have this strange issue whereby when you start a film the sound plays for 2-3 seconds before the picture is displayed.
There are no audio sync issues just it is really odd.
This means you can miss the DTS/DOLBY logos etc.
John

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom