Denon AVR-X2600H vs AVR-X3600H

Flakmunky

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have an ageing Onky TX-SR577 and am thinking of upgrading, primarily due to 4k but also due to wanting a better sound, ethernet connection, as well as other advances in tech.

I currently have a 5.1 speaker set up, comprising Fronts KEF IQ50 (8Ohm, bi-amped), Centre KEF IQ2c, surrounds CA Minx22s & a BK Gemini II sub. I'm quite happy with the sound I have and doubt I would move up to Atmos any time soon, but probably would in the future. Rear surrounds are difficult to place in my living room, but could potentially put them in the ceiling. My room is 4.5 x 7.5, with the MLP about 4.5 away from the TV

So, the reason for my post is that I was going to buy the Denon AVR-X2600H but am wondering about the AVR-X3600H. Wouldthe 3600 be overkill for me, given I plan on staying with the 5.1 set up in the short to medium term?

The reasons I've not dismissed the 3600 is the extra power and the Audyssey MultEQ XT32. I know more power doesn't always equate to better sound, but is the 3600 a better sounding amp?

Thanks,

fM

The 3600 allows 7.2.4 which in your room would work as well as xt32 so to me it seems like a better bet. In fact that’s why I chose it myself.

The X3600 is a 9 channel AV receiver with 11 channel processing while the X2600 is a 7 channel receiver with no more than 7 channels of processing. THe X3600 will also give you Audysset's XT32 room EQ correction which is a superior variant of the XT version of MutlEQ you'd get with the X2600. The X3600 video processing is slighly better than that associated with the X2600 and the X3600 can display its onscreen graphics irrespective of the video source. The X3600 comes equipped with 3 HDMI outputs, 2 of which are the same mirrored outputs you'd get with the X2600 and the third is a dedicated sexond HDMI zone output. The X3500 also comes with a full set of pre outs not included with the X2600.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I thought the extra channels may be overkill but the more I read about XT32 the more I'm saying towards the 3600. In guessing either the 2600 or 3600 would be quite a step up in terms of room correction from my current Onkyo which uses Audyssey 2EQ?

Can you comment on the sound quality from both receivers?

Thanks,

fM

Do you use the system for music? You may be disappointed if so, with the Denon AVR's. The 3600 would give you pre-outs allowing you to add an integrated amp to the system. Or, maybe consider a Marantz?

Hi, Rambles,

Music only a little. Mainly TV and movies. The other receiver I'd been considering was the Sony STRDN1080....

Hi, Rambles,

Music only a little. Mainly TV and movies. The other receiver I'd been considering was the Sony STRDN1080....
The 3600 is a tier above the 1080 which would be classed in with the 2600 and is restricted to seven channels of processing and amplification. The 1080 would be my third choice personally.

Yes, it's my 3rd choice. I'm leaning towards Denon for the warmth these receivers are reputed to have due to the bright nature of the KEFs.

FWIW I'm running a Denon X6200 with KEF R300s and they suit each other well. However I have the fronts driven by a Rega stereo amp. Denon and KEF do seem to make good bedfellows.

Thanks for all of the replies... I'm going to save a little while longer for the 3600 I think... :)

Coming from your Onkyo (based on its signature sound), the Denon will seem less bright. Onkyo's tends to have more sound per pound than most manufacturers so the 3600H is where you should be looking for a proper step up in performance. As an alternative to the Denon, why not look at Marantz SR6013 if music is something that is going to be important to you

Exact same situation x2600h vs 3600h. Use is TV+Movies not music. using a 2:1 setup, might go to 5:1 later. Coming from a 2012 Denon AVR-2113

But the x3600h is TWICE the price 899 EUROS vs 499 EUROS. Is it worth it? I am racking my brain.

Thanks for the suggestion, Shane.

Any suggestions for a very good 7.1 AVR? I'm not really interested in Atmos, I would rather spend the same money (£~£700) on a better quality AVR in terms of sound quality and room EQ.

Exact same situation x2600h vs 3600h. Use is TV+Movies not music. using a 2:1 setup, might go to 5:1 later. Coming from a 2012 Denon AVR-2113

But the x3600h is TWICE the price 899 EUROS vs 499 EUROS. Is it worth it? I am racking my brain.

I was facing same choice just few days ago. I came to conclusion that if you do not plan to go with Atmos 5.x.4 or 7.x.4 setup then 3600h does make sense as you pay almost double of 2600 price for feature you do not plan to use.

I decided in favour of 3600x. So I have also ordered 12 speakers ;) wife thinks 6 are coming ;). Who does not like surprises ;)?

I was facing same choice just few days ago. I came to conclusion that if you do not plan to go with Atmos 5.x.4 or 7.x.4 setup then 3600h does make sense as you pay almost double of 2600 price for feature you do not plan to use.

I decided in favour of 3600x. So I have also ordered 12 speakers ;) wife thinks 6 are coming ;). Who does not like surprises ;)?

Isn’t the 3600 a 9 channel receiver out of the box? Do you have a second amp to connect to it?

Isn’t the 3600 a 9 channel receiver out of the box? Do you have a second amp to connect to it?
I do indeed.

No I haven't and it was a very good point as I can see this kind of mistake easily made :)

I don't think 7.1.4 will be my permanent setup due to space restrictions but I geared for it anyway as the speakers were not that expensive. Also I might one day move them to my living room where 7.1.4 would be a perfect fit (5.1 atm). I will most likely stick to 5.1.4 unless I am blown away by 7.1.4 in compare to 5.1.4 which i do not expect. But then I do not really know what to expect as I never have experienced atmos setup before. Have not been to cinema since I got my C6 65" some years ago

Thanks so much Sebna, I'll go with the x2600h. The only thing that had me on the fence was the Superior Audysset XT32, but living isn't huge and the rest of the features I think I'll never use.

Well, I managed to buy a refurbished 3600 from RS in their VIP sale for £566... So looking forward to receiving it and installing it.

Last edited:
Well, I managed to buy a refurbished 3600 from RS in their VIP sale for £566... So looking forward to receiving it and installing it.
Bargain!!!! That’s a great deal mate. Let us know thoughts..I bought a 2600 for £420 with 6yr warranty but wonder if I’d have been better off and bought the 3600

I bought the 3600 two week ago, had more than I needed on it. Sounds ok, not working great with my sub. Had a last minute change of heart at the shop and was trying to decide between that and the Marantz 1510, as the Denon totally fills the gap in the TV unit.

Might be taking it back and going for the Marantz as a little disappointed.

I am pairing with a Marantz cd as an all in one hi-fi / AV combo.

Prob not gonna use the Atmos, just wanted the best for budget there was, but have changed my mind. Found some good deals on the Marantzs.

ECC.

I bought the 3600 two week ago, had more than I needed on it. Sounds ok, not working great with my sub. Had a last minute change of heart at the shop and was trying to decide between that and the Marantz 1510, as the Denon totally fills the gap in the TV unit.

Might be taking it back and going for the Marantz as a little disappointed.

I am pairing with a Marantz cd as an all in one hi-fi / AV combo.

Prob not gonna use the Atmos, just wanted the best for budget there was, but have changed my mind. Found some good deals on the Marantzs.

ECC.

In what respect was you disappointed? with movies or music?

I am also upgrading, had an old Yamaha RX-V1800 . Really undecided between the 2600 or the 3600. Have gone with the 2600 due to the £425 price tag and the really good Whathifi review.. Hope I have made the correct choice. I have a Kef 5.1 speaker set up..

People will always have their own opinions on what you should or shouldn’t buy, but if you are sitting in your ‘own living room’ and are happy with what you’re hearing then happy days.
You can always buy better no matter what you buy, it’s finding something that suits you that matters.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom