Denon AVR-X2700 Owners Thread

Thinking of picking up a 2700.
I’m torn between the 2700 and the 3600.
The 3600 allows for 5.2.4, whereas the 2700 only allows for 5.2.2.
The 2700 seems to trump it other than that though.

So what’s the height virtualization thing like?
About to get a set of Q7000i. Don’t really want to be cutting holes in the ceiling, and can’t see Atmos up firing speakers balancing on the Q7000s. But it’d be nice to get some sort of effect.

It's just Dolby that gives the virtual Atmos. If you do go for a 5.1.2 with any type of speaker then Neural performs very well indeed especially if you play a 5.1 DTS HD soundtrack. Worth the investment even with upfiring modules which I have used for the last six years.
Oh really? I was considering them but didn't think they'd be very effective, thanks, I'll look into it a bit further.

Oh really? I was considering them but didn't think they'd be very effective, thanks, I'll look into it a bit further.
Providing your ceiling is perfectly flat and made of a reflective material and doesn't have a heavily scrolled artex design then that's fine. It should be between 8 and 14 high and the speakers should be placed no higher than 50% of the height. Placement should be on or as near as possible to the front left and right speakers.

I use KEF R50s. Avoid the entry level Onkyos.

Providing your ceiling is perfectly flat and made of a reflective material and doesn't have a heavily scrolled artex design then that's fine. It should be between 8 and 14 high and the speakers should be placed no higher than 50% of the height. Placement should be on or as near as possible to the front left and right speakers.

I use KEF R50s. Avoid the entry level Onkyos.

I'm using jamo a102's so I'll not be putting anything on top of them, they're tiny! Got me thinking though, I know what I'm asking santa for this year, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I am having issues using eArc and a games console via eArc and sound mode selection. Not using bitstream, but LPCM.

It only happens when the source is eARC (ie internal apps from the TV when eARC is enabled or using a games console via eArc). The Denon app shows Multi-channel PCM input, however, the output options are not the same when receiving multi-channel PCM from an input directly connected to the receiver.

When using eArc on my TV connected to the Denon, the denon receives multichannel PCM input from the TV, but when I go to select a sound mode on the receiver, I only have a choice of multichannel stereo, stereo or DSur.

Why will it not let me select a sound mode like Multichannel PCM? It should let me output the same format as what the receiver is receiving? Like Input-Multichannel PCM Output-Multichannel PCM.
There is a clearly a bug with this receiver, that will not let me output Multichannel PCM as a sound mode over eArc.
Input (eARC multi channel PCM):

5277b0bedcadfd759f6df3242846518b.jpg

Output (choices are Stereo, DSur, Multi Ch Stereo):
06b3a338fd0a6eda02dd9409edb17ed9.jpg

Can test this to see if they have been able to get Multichannel PCM sound mode output? Rather than Stereo, DSur, Multichannel stereo?

I am sure this is a bug with the latest receivers?

Anyone know what RS policy would be on swapping/upgrading this unit, post sale, based on mis-selling (granted it was by accident)? i.e. It looks like a hardware issue where we wont be able to achieve 4K/120Hz which for many would have been a vital selling point as it was for me. Originally I was looking at the X4500H but opted for this instead primarily for this feature.

I've had for 6 weeks now. Downside for me would be that I would have wanted to upgrade to the X3700H for the front pre-outs but that's out of the equation too by the looks of things. 🙈

Considering this amp as a replacement for my ancient Denon F100 which is starting to get cranky on start up. Two questions

1) Can I use the Zone 2 output to feed the base unit of my RF wireless headphones as I often potter around the house with them while waiting for say, an F1 race to start?

2) Can I select the audio out to be from a different input from the video? I sometime use this to follow the cricket by listening to the TMS radio commentary while watching the action from satellite TV.

(currently using a combined HDMI/Optical switch with my current amp with a secondary audio analogue feed through its VCR input)

Anyone know what RS policy would be on swapping/upgrading this unit, post sale, based on mis-selling (granted it was by accident)? i.e. It looks like a hardware issue where we wont be able to achieve 4K/120Hz which for many would have been a vital selling point as it was for me. Originally I was looking at the X4500H but opted for this instead primarily for this feature.

I've had for 6 weeks now. Downside for me would be that I would have wanted to upgrade to the X3700H for the front pre-outs but that's out of the equation too by the looks of things. 🙈
I believe they would have to exchange or refund as the product doesn’t work as intended/advertised. They would return to manufacturer and Denon can fight it out with whoever produced the faulty hardware. Bottom line - us customers should be completely covered.

Well if this is the case then I will be returning to the retailer as faulty...
Out of interest - can you not just run your xbox to the TV then out via Earc to the reciever? That's what I'm doing. I know it's not great as the reciever is not working as intended but this 120hz issue doesn't really impact me as I'm not using the video pass through from the Denon anyway.

can you not just run your xbox to the TV then out via Earc to the reciever? That's what I'm doing. I know it's not great as the reciever is not working as intended but this 120hz issue doesn't really impact me as I'm not using the video pass through from the Denon anyway.

Yes and this is what Denon are suggesting people do until they can or if they can find a solution to this issue:

Q3: What can I do to enjoy a 4K/120Hz HDR gaming experience?
A: You can connect your gaming console to your 4K/120Hz capable display directly via HDMI and use the display’s ARC/eARC functionality to feed the native audio back to the AVR using the connected HDMI cable between the AVR and display. This will allow users to decode the native audio format sent from the source. With this method, the display’s CEC/ARC option must be enabled as well as the AVR’s HDMI Control and/or the AVR’s ARC option. In the AVR, this option is located within the GUI under “Video – HDMI Setup.”

Yes and this is what Denon are suggesting people do until they can or if they can find a solution to this issue:

Q3: What can I do to enjoy a 4K/120Hz HDR gaming experience?
A: You can connect your gaming console to your 4K/120Hz capable display directly via HDMI and use the display’s ARC/eARC functionality to feed the native audio back to the AVR using the connected HDMI cable between the AVR and display. This will allow users to decode the native audio format sent from the source. With this method, the display’s CEC/ARC option must be enabled as well as the AVR’s HDMI Control and/or the AVR’s ARC option. In the AVR, this option is located within the GUI under “Video – HDMI Setup.”

Yeah that's why I'm not concerned, I never planned to run my xbox into the Denon, don't see the point. Were you planning on doing that just because you don't have many HDMI inputs on your TV? Directed at the previous posters saying they wanted to return the Denon etc

Yeah that's why I'm not concerned, I never planned to run my xbox into the Denon, don't see the point. Were you planning on doing that just because you don't have many HDMI inputs on your TV? Directed at the previous posters saying they wanted to return the Denon etc
Because for some plugging into the AVR will get you the best sound codecs available. Some TV’s do not passthrough all audio codecs eg the new 2020 LG Oleds do not pass through DTS sound. Also some TV’s have flakey ARC or eARC so again going into the AVR eliminates that headache.

Because for some plugging into the AVR will get you the best sound codecs available. Some TV’s do not passthrough all audio codecs eg the new 2020 LG Oleds do not pass through DTS sound. Also some TV’s have flakey ARC or eARC so again going into the AVR eliminates that headache.
Ah OK fair enough, makes sense. I knew there would be a good reason. I have a 2020 LG C9 so probably will be affected aswell! That said I'll probably just continue with my current setup as it sounds pretty stonking to me 😊

Ah OK fair enough, makes sense. I knew there would be a good reason. I have a 2020 LG C9 so probably will be affected aswell! That said I'll probably just continue with my current setup as it sounds pretty stonking to me 😊
C9 passes DTS ok so no issues with that for you.

I have a 2020 LG C9 so probably will be affected aswell! That said I'll probably just continue with my current setup as it sounds pretty stonking to me 😊

The C9 is a 2019 model and LG still included support for DTS onboard the models predating 2020.

I'm wiring up my two atmos speakers today, bronze monitor audio AMS upfirers, they're sat on top of my fronts. Is there any particular config I should go for other than what audessy sets up for me? I find most of the other settings change so guessing these will too in some way!

And does anyone know the best setting when watching atmos content? Do I just let the auto setting do it's thing or should I set it to Virtual X - I think someone mentioned that would work well with atmos speakers in a 5.1.2 setup?

If you engage Virtual: X then this creates virtual height speakers which can be used to portray a a virtual rendition of Neural:X or DTS:X in a setup deboid of height speakers.

This mode cannot be used to portray Atmos and you'd need Dolby's Virtual Height processing to create a similar scenario that could be used to portray Atmos or Dolby Surround via such a setup devoid of height speakers.

You actually have physical height speakers (your upward firing speakers) in your setup so do not need either Virtual:X or Dolby Virtual Height in order portay DTS:. Neural:X, Atmos or Dolby Surround. Don't engage Virtual:X, you do not need it with the setup you are proposing.

• DTS Virtual:X technology features DTS’s proprietary virtual height and virtual surround processing to deliver an immersive sound experience from any type of input source (stereo to 7.1.4 channel) and speaker configuration.

• DTS Virtual:X is not for use when Height speakers are connected.

If you engage Virtual: X then this creates virtual height speakers which can be used to portray a a virtual rendition of Neural:X or DTS:X in a setup deboid of height speakers.

This mode cannot be used to portray Atmos and you'd need Dolby's Virtual Height processing to create a similar scenario that could be used to portray Atmos or Dolby Surround via such a setup devoid of height speakers.

You actually have physical height speakers (your upward firing speakers) in your setup so do not need either Virtual:X or Dolby Virtual Height in order portay DTS:. Neural:X, Atmos or Dolby Surround. Don't engage Virtual:X, you do not need it with the setup you are proposing.
Ok cool thanks, but DTS, Neural X, Atmos or surround would be ok and using the atmos info correctly?

You'd not need to use Neural:X or Dolby Surround processing if the audio already includes Atmos or DTS:X metadata. Atmos and DTS:X are the discrete formats that Dolby Surround Upmixing and Neural:X are primarilly designed to emulate. Apply Neural:X to an Atmos soundtrack and the AV receiver will ignore the Atmos metadata and simply give you the TRueHD or DD+ base audio with Neural:X upmixing applied to it. It would then be this upmixing crwating to output from the height speakers as opposed to the Atmos metadata. You cannot apply Neural:X or Dolby Surround to Atmos and you don't need to. THe same is true of using Dolby Surround upmixing relative to DTS:X. DTS:X doesn't need any additionalupmixing and is already a 3D obkect based format that will already utilise all of the speakers within a setup.

Wow ok, I think I understand most of that! So basically I leave it on auto and it should set it to atmos or dts x when I'm playing atmos content...? Thanks by the way

You do not want the receiver to apply Dolby Surround or Neural:X or to Atmos soundtracks. THe Atmos soundtrack would already be a discrete onject based soundtrack so doesn't need upupmixing to create pseudo object based 3D effects.

Just play DTS:X and Atmos soundtracks as is without invoking any additional upmixing.

Atmos and DTS:X are not modes you apply, they are formats the audio coming into the receiver are encoded with.

Ok so just to absolutely clear for my moronic mind... Would the display on the denon show atmos or dts x when I'm playing atmos content then?

I'll make sure the height virtualisation setting on the denon is off also as I get atmos showing on the denon now when I play atmos content even though I've only got 5.1

If the incoming content is inclusive of Atmos metadata then the front panel display should say Atmos. You'd never get DTS:X displayed if the soundtrack is an Atmos soundtrack and would only ever see DTS:X displayed if the incoming soundtrack was inclusive of DTS:X metadata. You only get Atmos metadata packaged with Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Dogital Plus encoded audio packages and Atmos is never included with anything originating from DTS. You only get DYS:X packaged with DTS-HD Masyer Audio and it will never be included with Dolby encoded audio packages.

If you've only got a 6.1 setup then I'd suggest you use Virtual Height in order to allow you to get Atmos. THis will not however be as effective as it would have been had you actual physical height speakers. You will not get Atmos via a 5.1 setup without engaging the Virtual Height mode.

Note that even if the audio is inclusive of Atmos metadata then you'd niot get Atmos on your setup if you've only a 5.1 setuop anf if not using Virtual Height to create virtal height speakers. You'd simply get the TRueHD or the DD+ encoded audio the Atmos metadata was packaged with without the pgysical height speakers being present in a setup or without using the Virtual Height processing to create virtual representations of said height speakers. You';'d only see TRueHD or DD+ as being the audio on the AV receiver\'s display and the receiver would simply ignore the Atmos metadata in such instances.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom