Denon AVR-X3500 Owners Thread

A small update from my side, I have not heard from Denon yet after I filed a support request. I have received most of my surround set and I must say wow, what an incredible combination this is. I am just flabbergasted after looking at a few of my favourite movie scenes. I did run the audio calibration using my camera tripod. The way this receiver makes my speakers disappear and paint a sonic picture arround me is amazing. For movie viewing this receiver is just incredible and I would highly recommend it. Listening to spotify connect is also a blast although I must say I turn off processing and switch to audio direct mode. To my ears stereo sound sounds best directly and unfiltered. In stereo the Denon also does not dissapoint, in combination with the Klipsch rp-600m front speakers it sounds very clear and detailed. I come from a marantz and B&W stereo setup which is a bit warmer, this setup is a bit brighter but not too much. So besides my gripes with the optical in I am thoroughly enjoying my purchase. Hope everyone is enjoying their system as well, cheers.

Hi All,

I ordered an x3500 today from Peter Tyson, due for delivery tomorrow.

This will be replacing a Yamaha RXV-673 I bought in 2012, so looking forward especially to the XT32 calibration.

I won't be using anything other than 1080p for now, but will be good to be pretty future proof.

Initial question for you guys....

Do you use the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app? If so, is it worthwhile (the reviews on Google Play are predominantly awful!)?

Are there any better alternatives? (By "better" I don't mean free - I'm prepared to pay for whatever is the best option)

Initial question for you guys....

Do you use the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app? If so, is it worthwhile (the reviews on Google Play are predominantly awful!)?

Are there any better alternatives? (By "better" I don't mean free - I'm prepared to pay for whatever is the best option)

Audyssey App discussion - chat about midrange compensation and post your graphs here!

You can manually tweak any setup using something such as REW and a pro grade mic, but there's no alternative to using the Audyssey app if wanting to modify the Audyssey curves.

did anyone else receive a couple of firmware updates in the last week or so? I had notification for a firmware update in the middle of the week, I updated, then immediately after updating, I had another notification for a second update. The second update seemed like a big one (took longer to download and update).

I've looked for the change log on Denon EU website, but the last firmware it lists for the X3500H is from 23/05/2019, so not sure why the latest update is not listed on the website.

did anyone else receive a couple of firmware updates in the last week or so? I had notification for a firmware update in the middle of the week, I updated, then immediately after updating, I had another notification for a second update. The second update seemed like a big one (took longer to download and update).

I've looked for the change log on Denon EU website, but the last firmware it lists for the X3500H is from 23/05/2019, so not sure why the latest update is not listed on the website.

Yeah, I got an update may night right in the middle of a program I was watching, no idea what the update was though.

Have a look in the other Denon owner threads, it was answered in one of them

Looking at this one to replace a faulty Onkyo TX NR717....
Can anyone confirm that it has pre out for Front Left and Right?

Many thanks

Hello All...need help!

Issue: Audio cuts out frequently
Audio and video from Amazon fire stick 4k and blue ray player, and LG Web OS keeps cutting out very frequently.

My devices are:
Denon AVR X3500, LG SK9500 65in, Amazon fire stick 4k and Sony Blue ray player.
(All have the lastest and updated firmware installed)

Setup:
1. TV is connected to the Denon via HDMI cable from TV's HDMI 2 (ARC) port to Denon's HDMI Out Monitor 1 ARC port.
2. Fire stick 4k plugged into Denon's HDMI Aux2 (port 6)
3. Blue ray player is plugged into Denon's Blue ray HDMI (port 3)

Note: All device internet ports are connected via cat5e patch cables directly into router (i.e no wifi)

When audio and video kept cutting out, went into the Denon setup menu>output settings>video conversion and turned it OFF.
Also went into LG TV>Picture>Additional settings and I turned the HDMI 2 port "ON" for HDMI Ultra HD--HDR compatibility.

So that fixed the video cutting out part from TV's LG Web OS, fire stick and blue ray player, however audio keeps cutting out from the fire TV stick and the apps via LG Web OS.

Then I read that Amazon fire tv sticks may not be designed to connect directly into receivers.
So now I have it plugged directly into the LG HDMI port 4.
The audio feeds back through the receiver which is what I want for 5.1 surround sound.
Still the audio cuts out frequently!!
So to test if the problem is with some "handshake" between fire stick and receiver, I turned off the receiver and just watched the fire stick 4k through the tv speakers--the audio DOES NOT cut out.

By the way, its not only the fire tv stick that is the issue. I also want to add that the audio cuts out even when apps are being streamed via the LG TV Web OS. I have been going back and forth from the LG web OS to the fire tv stick hoping one or the other would work over time...sadly not!
So this is not only a fire stick issue...

So, I need help!!--with someone telling me what might be going on with the communication between the LG TV HDMI ports and the Denon receiver...Is there anything else I need to do within the setup menu of the receiver or TV?!.

I am very frustrated and disappointed since both the receiver and TV are expensive but felt that the price justifies their quality...sadly...this is proving wrong so far :-(

Any advice, insights or wisdom into this issue or receiver would be appreciated

On a side note: I also have Dynamic EQ turned off but Dynamic volume is On

Last edited:
@danol I wish I could help more but I am not an expert. I thought it worth mentioning though that my 4k Fire Tv Stick worked flawlessly with my x3500h, so I doubt compatabilty is an issue. The only downside I found to plugging the firestick directly into the AVR is the extra space it takes up at the rear.

I'm sure you've done this a hundred times already, but from memory double check those sound settings on the Fire Tv Stick under settings/display&sound.

On your side note. I appreciate it's all subjective, but in my smaller than average room I found turning both Dynamic EQ and Dynamic volume off and just simply turning the main volume up a bit produces a much more authentic, balanced and overall superior sound.

I can understand the frustration but hang in there and hopefully someone will be along to help you soon. I have recently moved on from the Fire Tv Stick to the ShieldTv, which is an amazing bit of kit, but I was always very pleased with the sound I got from the 4k Fire Tv Stick, so good luck and I hope you get it sorted soon.

Many thanks
Yes, it does.

Hello All...need help!

Issue: Audio cuts out frequently
Audio and video from Amazon fire stick 4k and blue ray player, and LG Web OS keeps cutting out very frequently.

My devices are:
Denon AVR X3500, LG SK9500 65in, Amazon fire stick 4k and Sony Blue ray player.
(All have the lastest and updated firmware installed)

Setup:
1. TV is connected to the Denon via HDMI cable from TV's HDMI 2 (ARC) port to Denon's HDMI Out Monitor 1 ARC port.
2. Fire stick 4k plugged into Denon's HDMI Aux2 (port 6)
3. Blue ray player is plugged into Denon's Blue ray HDMI (port 3)

Note: All device internet ports are connected via cat5e patch cables directly into router (i.e no wifi)

When audio and video kept cutting out, went into the Denon setup menu>output settings>video conversion and turned it OFF.
Also went into LG TV>Picture>Additional settings and I turned the HDMI 2 port "ON" for HDMI Ultra HD--HDR compatibility.

So that fixed the video cutting out part from TV's LG Web OS, fire stick and blue ray player, however audio keeps cutting out from the fire TV stick and the apps via LG Web OS.

Then I read that Amazon fire tv sticks may not be designed to connect directly into receivers.
So now I have it plugged directly into the LG HDMI port 4.
The audio feeds back through the receiver which is what I want for 5.1 surround sound.
Still the audio cuts out frequently!!
So to test if the problem is with some "handshake" between fire stick and receiver, I turned off the receiver and just watched the fire stick 4k through the tv speakers--the audio DOES NOT cut out.

By the way, its not only the fire tv stick that is the issue. I also want to add that the audio cuts out even when apps are being streamed via the LG TV Web OS. I have been going back and forth from the LG web OS to the fire tv stick hoping one or the other would work over time...sadly not!
So this is not only a fire stick issue...

So, I need help!!--with someone telling me what might be going on with the communication between the LG TV HDMI ports and the Denon receiver...Is there anything else I need to do within the setup menu of the receiver or TV?!.

I am very frustrated and disappointed since both the receiver and TV are expensive but felt that the price justifies their quality...sadly...this is proving wrong so far :-(

Any advice, insights or wisdom into this issue or receiver would be appreciated

On a side note: I also have Dynamic EQ turned off but Dynamic volume is On
i was having cut outs recently so i switched all the hdmi control stuff off and so far its been fine

@Potsnack thanks for understanding my frustration and appreciate the encouragement! I will double check the display/sound settings. Unfortunately sound cuts out with apps from LG Web OS as well...so I will double check those settings as well!
Budget constraints keep me from the Shield :(--but I agree...it is the best streaming device out there--verified by many of my colleagues as well!!--Black Friday specials are coming soon and I am hoping I can snag one for a deal!
@clivetup thanks for letting me know that you have had similar problems as well! I have now switched off ALL the HDMI control stuff from the devices.
Still would appreciate feedback from more people...a lot of smart folks out there!! :)

Many thanks

It does indeed as @Russ_64 had already said but just to expand on that, my 3500 was struggling to drive my Kef Rs in big action films so I added a Marantz 5 channel power amp and the difference is huge, much bigger soundstage and loads more detail at any volume as well as not struggling when things get lively. What was most surprising was the big increase in sound quality in stereo too despite on paper the power output being similar when driving two channels.

Just need to check I'm not doing something wrong!
I guess the quick select buttons don't store individual Audyssey settings? I've set the buttons correctly, but each press of the 1-4 buttons only changes the input and sound mode, but not the Audyssey settings I thought I stored, EQ etc, it's a bit annoying.

I guess that's just how it works?

Just need to check I'm not doing something wrong!
I guess the quick select buttons don't store individual Audyssey settings? I've set the buttons correctly, but each press of the 1-4 buttons only changes the input and sound mode, but not the Audyssey settings I thought I stored, EQ etc, it's a bit annoying.

I guess that's just how it works?

Wouldn't expect any different, the room doesn't change depending on source does it :)

Wouldn't expect any different, the room doesn't change depending on source does it :)
I was more talking about DEQ and sub settings, rather than the Audyssey room correction settings. For late night viewing it would be nice to be able to have lower sub levels and have specific DEQ/Volume settings at the press of a button, rather than scrolling through the menu!

I was more talking about DEQ and sub settings, rather than the Audyssey room correction settings. For late night viewing it would be nice to be able to have lower sub levels and have specific DEQ/Volume settings at the press of a button, rather than scrolling through the menu!

Sub setting is one of the fundamentals of room EQ and you shouldn't ever use DEQ. Leave everything else alone and turn LFC on, that's what it's designed for and part of the better Audyssey you paid more for, should end up with a far better result than what you were attempting. Don't know if there's a method of direct access with the standard remote but there is on a Harmony.

Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume and Audyssey LFC can all be included within the Quick Select configurations and switched using the Quick Select function.

Page 137 from the manual:

snapshot001.jpg

Audyssey MultEQ XT32, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume and Audyssey LFC can all be included within the Quick Select configurations and switched using the Quick Select function.

View attachment 1211496
Thanks for that, I've done what it says and the info just doesn't stick, maybe I'm doing something wrong, it should be very simple! I'll have another go later.

View attachment 1211496

Good call, only snag might be Audyssey is by source, so guessing LFC wouldn't stick on when changing to another source. Still, you would certainly get an on/off function for two sources from the four settings.

Good call, only snag might be Audyssey is by source, so guessing LFC wouldn't stick on when changing to another source. Still, you would certainly get an on/off function for two sources from the four settings.
I think you've nailed it, it's probably the source thing throwing me, I thought you could have different presets for one source.

Question for any owners here.

I am taking delivery of the 3500 on Tuesday but am just wondering the best way to configure my existing setup.

What benefit do I get connecting my xbox one x via hdmi rather than optical? I current use an old analogue auna amp which is connected via optical. But obviously the main features of these newer amps are the hdmi connections. Why should I use these instead?

Also I currently use a hdmi splitter to send the signal from the Xbox to multiple rooms, will the 2 outputs on the 3500 essentially now replace the splitter? And if so is the receiver capable of handling down scaling? The signal to the other rooms has to be 1080p, so can it handle 2 different resolution outputs or will it default to the lowest resolution. This is usually the case and it took me an age to find a splitter that could run two resolutions simultaneously so I wouldn't be surprised!

Thanks for any help

HDMI can convey audio formats not possible via S/PDIF coax or optical. You'd be able to access HD formats such as Dolby TRyeHD and DTS-HD Master Audio as well as multichannel PCM. Opticall cannot convey these HD formats which are commonly used in association with films sourced via Blu-ray and UHD discs. You'd also need the ability to bitstream TRueHD or Dolby Digital Plus (DD+) if also wishing to access Atmos. THese 2 formats are what the associated metadata is ordinarilly packaged with. Neither TRueHD or DD+ can be streamed via optical.

If the differenf TVs and devices you are outputting to have different video capabilities then the AV receiver will inform the source device of this and the source would limit its output to what all the devices in question can handle. This would limit you to the lowest resolution and no, out of the outputs are not independant and will not be scaled independantly.

From the manual:

• If both the HDMI MONITOR 1 and HDMI MONITOR 2 connectors are connected and “Resolution” is set to “Auto”, the signals are output with a resolution that is compatible with both TVs.
    When the “Resolution” setting in the menu is not set to “Auto”, set the resolution in “Video” - “HDMI Monitor 1” and “HDMI Monitor 2” to one that is compatible with both TVs.
  • You can check which resolutions are compatible with your TV in “HDMI Monitor 1” and “HDMI Monitor 2”.
  • When connecting multiple Dolby Vision TVs, the signal will only be optimal for one TV. A TV connected to the HDMI MONITOR 1 connector has priority.

Note that if using the dedicated secnd HDMI zone output that both the video and audio would be passed through the receiver to a second zone without the AV recever playing any part in processing it, but if the source is simultaneously also be used by the main room them you'd still be restricted by the capabilities of the least capable display.

Last edited:
@WozzaB Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you here, but you can absolutely do as you had hoped. I have "day" settings for Cable on (1) and "Night" settings on (2). DEQ is used in (1) but off in (2) where LFC is also turned on and flat used instead of reference.

In fact, the only thing you can't adjust and save per each individual quick select button is the master Subwoofer, Center and channel levels. But, you can adjust those at source level instead via the "option" button on the remote and this then also gets remembered when you hold down the quick select button to save.

When you want to save a setup to a quick select button (1-4) make sure you hold the desired quick select button down for several seconds until the graphic pops up on the screen.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom