Question Denon AVR X3500 set up and sound

Boston Cas

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I have my X3500 and love it. I'm not sure if I have it set up right. I have a LG 4K Tv, set top cable (RCN) Lg Blu ray player, and a PS4 all running to my Denon. From the Denon to my TV via ARC. I have it, I believe set up correct for 7.1 Atmos. My issue is when I use my TV apps from the LG it seems I can only use the optic connection to get audio from them. Also when I use the same app from the cable box as the one from my TV I get a noticeably different sound. Seems the optic sounds better and is also louder. Am I doing something wrong ?
Thanx,
Shine On!
Steve

Welcome to the Froum.

You are probably doing nothing wrong and it is often the case that the TV audio is louder than that from the set top box. It could also be the case that with the optical connection the actual audio on the TV is stronger and perhaps not so compressed as that on the set top box. That is very dependent on how good the cable connection is.

If you are using optical from the TV to the Denon then ARC is not in operation. Optical can often give a far more stable connection than ARC.

As for Atmos the 3500 is limited to an Atmos set up of 5.1.2, not 7.1. You will not get Atmos unless you have 5.1 in base speakers and the other two in the ceiling, upfiring or mounted high on the front wall. Unless you configure the 3500 as having Atmos again you will not get Atmos.

All the connections are good. I can't even get audio from the TV apps without the optic. I've been driving myself crazy trying to get it through the arc. As far the speakers I didn't see any setting for 5.1 or 7.1 just the manual speaker set up and for that I have the 5 main (FL C FR Sur R R/L and Mid high)mounted high on the wall in the middle pointed slight towards listener ( I can easily move to the front if needed) I may not have labeled my hook up correctly on here, but they are set correctly Either surround back or just surround (I'm not looking at it right now) so I'm assuming that you're right, it's 5.1.2 But the Denon is reading as dolby digital plus and dolby atmos/dsur for the first to selections.
I just wish i could get the TV and set box running though the ARC and not use the optical, it doesn't seem to give me the option.How would I know if I've configured the 3500 to having Atmos? I don't know why ithe ARC/Optic bugs me, but it does. Either way, the sound is amazing and I love my Denon

I would suggest you go back to the Set Up menu and engage the services of the Set Up Wizard which will walk you through your speaker positioning and how to assign them for Atmos.

I would suggest you go back to the Set Up menu and engage the services of the Set Up Wizard which will walk you through your speaker positioning and how to assign them for Atmos.
I have done that a few times, set everything back to factory pretty much. The first couple of times it wasn't picking up some of the speakers. It took me a few times to figure out that my celling fan was messing up the sound waves. At least thats all i could figurem because everything went smooth after i turned it off.
Oh and Thank you

I redid everything, everything is great, I apparently can't use anything but the optic to get my TV sound. I can't get it to do the Cable box and TV with the ARC. I have to use it separately (ARC/Opt) Oh well, thanx again for the help

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom