Denon AVR-X3600H 9.2 Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

If you can hear the difference, you're a better man than me (and with my ears, you probably are).
Yes, it's a fair point :thumbsup:

You are unlikely to hear a difference based upon the fact that it is very unlikely that you are listenening to anything that was encoded with a sample rate higher than 48kHz. Even if you were, the differences would be marginal if at all. 99% of all the content you get on disc DVD blu-ray and UHD discs as well as via via streaming services or via terrestrial TV broadcasts will be encoded using a sample rate of 48kHz.

The only sources effected by the downsampling would be high end HD audio tracks encoded using FLAC or similat HD formats.

Last edited:
You are unlikely to hear a difference based upon the fact that it is very unlikely that you are listenening to anything that was encoded with a sample rate higher than 48kHz. Even if you were, the differences would be marginal if at all. 99% of all the content you get on disc DVD blu-ray and UHD discs as well as via via streaming services or via terrestrial TV broadcasts will be encoded using a sample rate of 48kHz.

The only sources effected by the downsampling would be high end HD audio tracks encoded using FLAC or similat HD formats.

Dante, don't!
You're preaching to the converted in my case.
But in a world where some people say they can hear sub-harmonics, let alone higher frequencies, I don't dare suggest such things are wrong anymore :D

I still think it's fair to say it's probably a good idea to not use any of the amp's settings.
And that may well include Audyssey.

I think I'll be getting the SPL meter and REW out again when I get a chance, because I'm convinced it's set the sub way too low. Funnily enough, about 10dB, by my lugs, where I'm used to running +3dB.

Dante, don't!

Don't what?

Tell people the facts as opposed to implying something which isn't catagorically the case?

You are not telling anyone the catagorical facts.

I'm in agreement with not using Dynamic EQ due to it over emphasising the louder effects and diminishing the ability to perceive the quieter audio in the lower end of the dynamic range such as dialogue., but there are no adverse effects associated with using Dynamic Volume whish is a rather good means by which to compensate for lower dialogue levels at lower listening levels. Yes, MultEQ room EQ correction does downsample audio encoded with a higher than 48kHz sample rate, but this will have no effect what so ever with most of the content you'll be using the AV receiver to portray. The room EQ benefits would in such instances outweight the down sampling because nothing would be down sampled in such unstances.

If you dislike using these features then so be it, but do not portray them in a manner that doesn't actually describe what they are doing.

I think its fair to say that most people will gain something by employing MultEQ XT32 room EQ correction and that many would find Audyssey Dynamic Volume of some use if wanting to use their AV receiver at lower volumes? The use of Dynamic EQ and its effectiveness are debatable though. Even so, it is up the to the listener to determine this for themselves. I've not implied that you should or shouldn't use of of the elements being discussed, I've simply corrected misrepresentations of said rlements and explained what they do.

You keep implying that I'm promoting the use of Audyssey. I've not actually done anything of the kind and I've simply explained what the features are actually doing. No, they are not compressing the dynamic range.

By the way, REW will not correct your room's EQ or address any acoustic anomalies. You'd still need to use Audyssey to do this, but you'd need to manually reconfigure the EQ filters and associated curves. You'd also need to know how to intepret the results you'd get via REW in order to be able to do this.

Last edited:
I still think it's fair to say it's probably a good idea to not use any of the amp's settings.
And that may well include Audyssey.

Use the app and limit the correction to ~300-500hz. This range typically is where the correction is needed most, up to schroeder frequency. Using the full range correction may alter your speakers "natural" sound too much and this is one reason Audussey wasn´t liked earlier. Now you can limit the correction and also turn off the midrange compensation with the app. There is lot of professionals in the industry who believes doing it this way, starting from Floyd Toole who is probably most famous person talking about it in he`s books and seminars. For music you can also use the "bypass l/r" if you want to keep the correction on subwoofer alone assuming 2.1 system is used.

Don't what?

Tell people the facts as opposed to implying something which isn't catagorically the case?

You are not telling anyone the catagorical facts.

I'm in agreement with not using Dynamic EQ due to it over emphasising the louder effects and diminishing the ability to perceive the quieter audio in the lower end of the dynamic range such as dialogue., but there are no adverse effects associated with using Dynamic Volume whish is a rather good means by which to compensate for lower dialogue levels at lower listening levels. Yes, MultEQ room EQ correction does downsample audio encoded with a higher than 48kHz sample rate, but this will have no effect what so ever with most of the content you'll be using the AV receiver to portray. The room EQ benefits would in such instances outweight the down sampling because nothing would be down sampled in such unstances.

If you dislike using these features then so be it, but do not portray them in a manner that doesn't actually describe what they are doing.

I think its fair to say that most people will gain something by employing MultEQ XT32 room EQ correction and that many would find Audyssey Dynamic Volume of some use if wanting to use their AV receiver at lower volumes? The use of Dynamic EQ and its effectiveness are debatable though. Even so, it is up the to the listener to determine this for themselves. I've not implied that you should or shouldn't use of of the elements being discussed, I've simply corrected misrepresentations of said rlements and explained what they do.

You keep implying that I'm promoting the use of Audyssey. I've not actually done anything of the kind and I've simply explained what the features are actually doing. No, they are not compressing the dynamic range.

By the way, REW will not correct your room's EQ or address any acoustic anomalies. You'd still need to use Audyssey to do this, but you'd need to manually reconfigure the EQ filters and associated curves. You'd also need to know how to intepret the results you'd get via REW in order to be able to do this.

Here's what I said about it;

"Dynamic EQ, Dante has mentioned and I won't debate it, but I personally don't use it. Anything that alters anything is a bad move, in my book."

It was an opinion and I never portrayed it incorrectly at all. I agreed with you ***!

As for REW, I'll go back to my BFD and I know fully how to interpret any results, thanks.
Did you really think that I thought REW would correct anything for me?

I can understand why so many people dislike you and you end up in so many arguments.
As much as you're knowledgeable, you have a really bad knack of talking to people like you're the only one who knows anything and the other person is a total imbecile.

Don't bother replying. I've set you to ignore.

I mentioned REW and the fact it doesn't correct your room's acoustics because you don't appear to understand how anything else operates so presumed the same would be true of REW?

I'll go cry myself to sleep now shall I after your disclosing you don't like me. My life will never be the same from this point onward :(

I reply to whatever I want to reply to thank you. My posts were as much about correctly informing others as they were about correcting you.

I'm under the impression that you think room EQ correction is about making the resulting audio fit your own personal tastes and or preferences as opposed to what it actually does or what it is intended to do. It's purpose is to neutralise any accoustic anamolies that would innluence what you are hearing. Whether you like the results is of cause a matter only you can determine. I'm neither pro nor against using Audyssey room EQ correction, but the fact is that despite it now being a little long in the tooth compared to some of the systems you'd get on more expensive AVRs, it does a relatively good job of what it is intended to do. DIRAC is probably better, but it is also more complex and less intuitive to setup. Lyngdorf's Room Perfect is beyond reproach, but you'd need to sell a kidney in order to be able to afford it. Audyssey XT32 is probably the best room EQ you can get at the more affordable end of the market.

You may also take note thaty I wasn't the only member having to correct you!

Last edited:
Apologies if this has already been asked but would the x3600 but a good match for Kef LS50s as a front three? Looking to upgrade my Kef eggs (3005SE version which have served me well). The new Meta LS50s look amazing but i'm hoping to get a pair of the original LS50s for a good price (although i read they require more power to really show them off).

Thoughts?

Apologies if this has already been asked but would the x3600 but a good match for Kef LS50s as a front three? Looking to upgrade my Kef eggs (3005SE version which have served me well). The new Meta LS50s look amazing but i'm hoping to get a pair of the original LS50s for a good price (although i read they require more power to really show them off).

Thoughts?
There are quite a few members who use LS50s for the front three and they should be fine with the X3600. When people talk of power to show them off it's usually in a stereo music use that requires that good amp to be used. If you are going to use the the X3600 for music then it's overall performance might impact on how they sound. There will be a big difference in your enjoyment with LS50s over the Eggs. The Eggs will still make for very good surround speakers.

If you feel power is lacking then, with a full set of pre-outs, a power amp or stereo amp with HT by-pass can be added into the mix then those LS50s will really sing. In a 5.1 there will be adequate power but if you use up all available connections then the fronts may struggle at times.

Any one got a qled tv with this avr receiver. I can not get any sound from the speakers when using internal apps from tv when I have erac on,also passthrough is greyed out.i can only get sound to work with erac off and pcm mode on.this defeats have the earc for better audio.it used to work fine when first got the tv .but since Samsung start pushing a few updates it now don't work .any one else got this problem .😁👍

Probably a handshake issue I had it a couple of times with my Panny OLED and Denon X4500 see how I got mine to work by doing the below:

This is what I have to do to get the ARC to work again

Power off the AVR and unplug all HDMI cables and the power cable.
Waited for the system to discharge, usually a couple of mins
Plug the avr power lead back in and TV HDMI
Power on the AVR
The TV can be on or off...
Unplug the TV-AVR HDMI cable, wait for it to discharge ~1min (didn't need to power off the TV)
Replug the TV-AVR HDMI

ARC started working.
Then I started plugging in other HDMI cables one at a time...

Probably a handshake issue I had it a couple of times with my Panny OLED and Denon X4500 see how I got mine to work by doing the below:

This is what I have to do to get the ARC to work again

Power off the AVR and unplug all HDMI cables and the power cable.
Waited for the system to discharge, usually a couple of mins
Plug the avr power lead back in and TV HDMI
Power on the AVR
The TV can be on or off...
Unplug the TV-AVR HDMI cable, wait for it to discharge ~1min (didn't need to power off the TV)
Replug the TV-AVR HDMI

ARC started working.
Then I started plugging in other HDMI cables one at a time...
So basically unplug the avr n tv to power down ,unplug the hdmi cables from avr n tv .wait .then put the hdmi back in .power on avr by using the tv ?.then put rest of hdmis back in .👍😁

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom