Denon AVR-X3600H 9.2 Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

How's it going with the skyq issue? I've got the old denon x2200 and it's a bit of a lottery in terms of having to reset sky q.
I'm still getting the black screen problem with an X6500 and I think a few have mentioned problems with the 3600 on the owners' thread.

Well, I don't know about the x3600, but my x4500 and my mates x3500 both have issues with sky (randomly) when trying to turn sky on.

It won't recognise the source or play anything. I have to unplug the sky box and plug back in to get it to work!

If you press and hold the power button on the front of the sky q box for 8 seconds it resets and then reboots and you get a signal back on the tv. That said, sometimes you have to switch the amp on to kick the signal but I've found that works every time with the 2200.

I'm still getting the black screen problem with an X6500 and I think a few have mentioned problems with the 3600 on the owners' thread.
Sky really have covered themselves in glory with this denon mess. Presumably there's nothing denon can do firmware wise to resolve this as it's affecting so many units?

Reminds me of a spat Sony had with SKY some years back. SKY's inapropriate/incorrect implementation of HDMI caused issues with Sony's AV receivers. Sony were adamant that the responsibility was with SKY to fix the issue but sSKY basically ignored it and pretended there wasn't a problem. Sony eventually modified their receivers firmware to address the issue, but stated that they'd not resolve SKY's problems for them again if any future issues accured.

SKY has a very bad reputation as far as tthe way in which it impliments HDMI onboard their hardware and don't really have a very good track record as far as fixing problems they create.

If you press and hold the power button on the front of the sky q box for 8 seconds it resets and then reboots and you get a signal back on the tv. That said, sometimes you have to switch the amp on to kick the signal but I've found that works every time with the 2200.

Perfect thank you, i'll give that a go.

Sky really have covered themselves in glory with this denon mess. Presumably there's nothing denon can do firmware wise to resolve this as it's affecting so many units?
I've got into a routine now of switching the Denon off before SkyQ and letting the audio return to the TV's speakers and also in going from my Pioneer player to SkyQ I have to shut down the Denon first and then back on once Sky has come up on the TV. Sometimes I forget and there is judicial use of Anglo Saxon explitives.

Reminds me of a spat Sony had with SKY some years back. SKY's inapropriate/incorrect implementation of HDMI caused issues with Sony's AV receivers. Sony were adamant that the responsibility was with SKY to fix the issue but sSKY basically ignored it and pretended there wasn't a problem. Sony eventually modified their receivers firmware to address the issue, but stated that they'd not resolve SKY's problems for them again if any future issues accured.

SKY has a very bad reputation as far as tthe way in which it impliments HDMI onboard their hardware and don't really have a very good track record as far as fixing problems they create.
Indeed! There's a pretty lengthy thread on sky's own community boards about denon amps and sky q. But they don't appear willing to acknowledge or do anything about it. Sky's own tech support said to me on the phone there's only 2 firmware releases per year. And that was in answer to me quizzing them about adding hlg. Very odd attitude they have to support.

Indeed! There's a pretty lengthy thread on sky's own community boards about denon amps and sky q. But they don't appear willing to acknowledge or do anything about it. Sky's own tech support said to me on the phone there's only 2 firmware releases per year. And that was in answer to me quizzing them about adding hlg. Very odd attitude they have to support.
No HDR and no Atmos support for Netflix on Sky and some pretty poor programming as well and far too expensive so when my contract ends there could be a divorce in the offering.

No HDR and no Atmos support for Netflix on Sky and some pretty poor programming as well and far too expensive so when my contract ends there could be a divorce in the offering.

The Disney plus app is also only in HD not 4K.....

The Disney plus app is also only in HD not 4K.....
I'll probably go down the ATV route although doubtful if I'll get Disney. Only thing I'm happy about with Sky is that I have good reliable 56 mbps connection with them. It's the handshake problems with the Denon that's more annoying than anything else and it actually happened when the Sky engineer first put in the SkyQ 2TB box. All he said was if it happened again just re-boot Sky, he could easily see I had a Denon, X6200 at the time.

This fixes the Sky black screen issue - Neoteck HDMI 2.0 Splitter 2 Way 4K@60Hz YUV 4:4:4 and HDR Smart Splitter Box 1 in 2 out HDMI Distribution Amplifier Switcher for Xbox One X PS4 Pro Sky Box Blu-ray Player HD TV Projector https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07LC88CVF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_PjJXEbBME05K1

I had it switching from Apple TV to Sky but now never get it.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Is there not any loss in signal with splitters introduced? Been a long time since I've needed to use one!

You get the exact same data. You cannot lose parts of it and you either get all of it or nothing. The signal is digital. You should ensure that the splitter facilitates the conveyance of the video you want to pass through it, but as suggested, you'd lose it entirely if not compliant as opposed to the audio and or video being degraded in some way.

You get the exact same data. You cannot lose parts of it and you either get all of it or nothing. The signal is digital. You should ensure that the splitter facilitates the conveyance of the video you want to pass through it, but as suggested, you'd lose it entirely if not compliant as opposed to the audio and or video being degraded in some way.
trying to visualise how the splitter would work between sky q and an amp - sky q to splitter then splitter to amp then amp to tv?

Great review and certainly has prompted me to now think of upgrading to an Atmos AVR.
One thing...I see on the top left of the review it lists Auro-3D and yet it is not included in the specs.
It is reviewer's error. There is no Auro-3D decoding in this guy. I would not think about it as deal breaker.

At the same time for 50 GBP more you can have 4500 so I would go that route.

The 4500 is a better receiver. It has the AL32 processing which the 3600 doesn't and I've been very impressed with it which I have on board a Denon SACD player.
This is leaning me towards the 4500 :smashin:

It is reviewer's error. There is no Auro-3D decoding in this guy. I would not think about it as deal breaker.

At the same time for 50 GBP more you can have 4500 so I would go that route.
;)
I am definitely looking at the 4500 in great detail :thumbsup:

SSAV have massive great deals on both the 3600 and 4500.

Great review and certainly has prompted me to now think of upgrading to an Atmos AVR.
One thing...I see on the top left of the review it lists Auro-3D and yet it is not included in the specs.
It doesn't have Auro 3D and I don't mention it at all within the review. It looks like a product tag for Auro was added when the product was entered into the forums software, I've removed that.

;)
I am definitely looking at the 4500 in great detail :thumbsup:
I have just checked and the deal I was thinking about is gone now @PT for 750 gbp delivered with 5 year warranty but if you are not in major rush it will be probably back.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom