Denon AVR-X3600H 9.2 Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

If the 3700 is intriguing you but is too rich and along with your statement that you simply don't need 8K capabilities you should be turning your attention to the X4500. I see little point in buying the new models when the current ones will be more than adequate.

You'll have the same warranty period, the same audio quality. Perhaps more importantly you'll have more money in your pocket. Of course you could wait until this time next year and buy a much reduced in price X3700.......or perhaps wait for the X3800.

I've just bought an X6500 for a £1000 under the original price. Does exactly the same job that I need with 4K OLED in tow and I have a £1000 to spend on vet's bills.

What does the 4500 offer over the 3600?

Is the Peter Tyson 6 year warranty a limited offer or normal for them? Think the standard Denon warranty is only 2 years.
They offer different warranty periods with difference amps. I had a five year one with my Denon AVC X6500 purchased from them a few weeks ago. You'll have to check at the time of ordering as I've also seen warranty periods as low as three years.

What does the 4500 offer over the 3600?
The main differences are more power available and a better processor in AL32. The power supplies are laid out differently and are better quality. I was surprised in how much better AL32 is over the older AL24 that I had on my previous X6200.

The 4500 also has a 2 line front display rather than a single line, has both Dolby and DTS upmixers + Auro 3D and is overall better quality IMO, well worth the £150 difference ATM.

The 4500 also has a 2 line front display rather than a single line, has both Dolby and DTS upmixers + Auro 3D and is overall better quality IMO, well worth the £150 difference ATM.

Am I right in saying the 4500 doesn't have the height virtualisation of the 3600? Is this any good?

Am I right in saying the 4500 doesn't have the height virtualisation of the 3600? Is this any good?
I have a speaker based Atmos set up. That is the best way to go without doubt, even with standard non Atmos discs or programmes Dolby Surround or more especially DTS Neural will do a far better job with speakers in place than a virtual programme.

3700 looks like it has a all channel pre amp mode.

The older 4500 have not been bench tested like the 3600 so I'd like to see it at least matches the 3600 and not closer to 3500 (which performed badly)

For me x700 series have two nice new features. Pre-amp mode which deactivates internal amps and two memory banks for audyssey calibration results.

And there is 8k.

Which makes x600 - x500 series at current prices a no brainer :)

@gibbsy What does the AL32 do? Will it help with a 3.1 setup (potentially going to 5.1 + Atmos in the future)?
It's the processor onboard the unit. It's Denon's highest processor on that is fitted to the higher end models of receivers, stereo amps and SACD/CD players. Denon's explanation.

UNIQUE DENON AUDIO TECHNOLOGIES.
AL32 Processing Multi-channel provides ultra-high-resolution digital audio filtering and precision for all audio channels, to deliver a natural soundstage with enhanced imaging. For contents recorded in multi-channel such as Blu-ray discs, the recorded low frequency effects (LFE) may be out of synch and delayed. Bass Sync technology corrects such a delay of low frequency effects for the perfect audio experience.

As long as it doesn't bugger up the sound, seems hdam could be reason of marantz higher distortion.

Be interesting if someone mods a marantz AV to allow bypass of hdam, or allow switching to determine if that is the cause.

Do the Denon Amps come with any demo discs ?

Hi there,

I am looking to replace my near on 20 year old Technics amp (small Tannoy speakers and powered Tannoy sub in a 5.1) mainly for the dual HDMI output so I don't have to faff around with the projector and optical leads. 😁

I will be staying at 5.1 but trying to decide between the 2600 and the 3600.

Also would it be better to run a separate set of stereo speakers for music as the only place we can have the TV is in the corner due to a slightly L shaped room?

I was hoping to have a lot better sound mainly for music so would Denon be the way to go or one of the Marantz?

Would the 3600 actually sound better for music and can the 2600 run a set of stereo speakers separate to the 5.1 setup?

Thanks Mark.

Hi there,

I am looking to replace my near on 20 year old Technics amp (small Tannoy speakers and powered Tannoy sub in a 5.1) mainly for the dual HDMI output so I don't have to faff around with the projector and optical leads. 😁

Also would it be better to run a separate set of stereo speakers for music as the only place we can have the TV is in the corner due to a slightly L shaped room?

I was hoping to have a lot better sound mainly for music so would Denon be the way to go or one of the Marantz?

Would the 3600 actually sound better for music and can the 2600 run a set of stereo speakers separate to the 5.1 setup?

Thanks Mark.
I personally would go for a few demos with music and movies of my choice.

OK that sounds like a good idea (thanks for that) but was also looking for peoples opinions as well. 👍

Thanks Mark.
I am sure current owners will be giving you their own opinions for sure ☺

I am looking at checking out the 4500 :lesson:

Hi there,

Thanks Mark.
The Denons are very good receiver for film and TV. If you are going to keep the music through separately placed speakers then I get a stereo amp for that job as stereo music simply isn't Denon's forte. In fact it's quite disappointing, I am a Denon owner but not the ones you are looking at.

The Denons are very good receiver for film and TV. If you are going to keep the music through separately placed speakers then I get a stereo amp for that job as stereo music simply isn't Denon's forte. In fact it's quite disappointing, I am a Denon owner but not the ones you are looking at.

Thanks for the reply.

So tempted with the 2600 at the moment as I've just noticed it in the Richer Sounds clearance (a returned one) for £349.

The only thing that's holding me back is the option of the choice of another amp or the 1 year warranty instead of the 6 year you normally get with Richer Sounds for the extra £100 as I've heard people have issues with Denon amps breaking (not sure if it's this model though)?

Thanks Mark.

Thanks for the reply.

So tempted with the 2600 at the moment as I've just noticed it in the Richer Sounds clearance (a returned one) for £349.

The only thing that's holding me back is the option of the choice of another amp or the 1 year warranty instead of the 6 year you normally get with Richer Sounds for the extra £100 as I've heard people have issues with Denon amps breaking (not sure if it's this model though)?

Thanks Mark.
Like everything there's always the possibility of problems but I guarantee there are more happy owners than there are ones that complain. If you're kit is working well you simply don't go on line to say just how happy you are unless you're a member of this Forum.

Personally I would go new and get the warranty for peace of mind. I've just bought a new Denon with a five year warranty as my previous Denon's warranty period, again five years, had expired. That's the way I tend to buy things.

This is my fifth Denon and all have been problem free.

Like everything there's always the possibility of problems but I guarantee there are more happy owners than there are ones that complain. If you're kit is working well you simply don't go on line to say just how happy you are unless you're a member of this Forum.

Personally I would go new and get the warranty for peace of mind. I've just bought a new Denon with a five year warranty as my previous Denon's warranty period, again five years, had expired. That's the way I tend to buy things.

OK thanks for the reply.

Think I may wait for a new one (once there is a decent deal as like you say it is peace of mind).

I've also noticed a £25 off code as well which would bring a new one down a little closer.

Thanks Mark.

Very unusual you well the item when warranty expires, they will last way past that, and losing a lot of money everytime, if they don't need repair then that's good, and might not need replacment as it's not out of date and obselete.

Only had psu and MOSFET output failing. And DTS chip in av pre

Which Denon do you own ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom