Denon AVR-X3600H 9.2 Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

This is a very nice receiver and I was very interested in purchasing it but I wondered if they did a Panasonic and built it down to a price.

This is a very nice receiver and I was very interested in purchasing it but I wondered if they did a Panasonic and built it down to a price.
To be honest I will be very very surprised if your SR6013 doesn't sound the same. I feel most reviewers and sites overlook this, Marantz receivers are always best buys in my humble opinion. And they sound better with music as compared Denon from what I read from other users.

There is actually quite an uplift over the outgoing model with new power supplies/transformer, internal build quality, new heatsink, components and an extra 2-channels, which brings it in-line with the higher level X4500. As long as you're using it in a normal UK living room or space and not trying to fill a large theatre room, the Denon is excellent. It actually surprised me just how good the processing and power are at the price. I use an X8500 in the reference system here, and while the X3600 can't compete in power and headroom, the audio tuning, steering and processing are excellent and very similar. Adding full 11.2 pre-outs also leaves a nice upgrade path as well. So while all products are built to a price point, don't let that put you off demoing one of these.

In terms of sound quality would a new unit like this be an upgrade over what I am currently using, marantz AV8802a if used as a preamp? Are the DAC's any better?

Any chance it has the capability to have a different configuration for 2 channels playback? (namely to set the front speakers to Large when using stereo modes).

When I got my X8500H the feature wasn't available in any other model.

The lack of a backlight in the remote for this price class is a sin, imho!

Personally I would buy the 4500 with a power amp than get a 8500. Cheaper and more power... oh wait I did do that

When I got my X8500H the feature wasn't available in any other model.
It's always been available on the X6XXX range of receivers.

It would also be possible to use Pure Direct on the X3600 if it doesn't have this ability if using for stereo music.

There is actually quite an uplift over the outgoing model with new power supplies/transformer, internal build quality, new heatsink, components and an extra 2-channels, which brings it in-line with the higher level X4500. As long as you're using it in a normal UK living room or space and not trying to fill a large theatre room, the Denon is excellent. It actually surprised me just how good the processing and power are at the price. I use an X8500 in the reference system here, and while the X3600 can't compete in power and headroom, the audio tuning, steering and processing are excellent and very similar. Adding full 11.2 pre-outs also leaves a nice upgrade path as well. So while all products are built to a price point, don't let that put you off demoing one of these.
Thanks Phil
I was looking at this a couple of months ago but I ended up with a similar Marantz. Not because I definitely knew that the Marantz was better. But for a start, I didn't know about it's 4500 heritage (the 4500 is a mid-range beast) until your review. But also the Marantz was on special offer, down from almost a 1000 pounds to 700.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always been available on the X6XXX range of receivers.
Right, my bad!
I got it mixed up with the Marantz receivers when I was looking for an upgrade from my good old Onkyo.
I contacted their support a while back and this is the answer I got (reference might be interesting for other people):
"No this (2 channel mode) is not possible with the SR-6011 and is a differentiation feature between SR6011 and SR7011".

It would also be possible to use Pure Direct on the X3600 if it doesn't have this ability if using for stereo music.
Ok, but then you won't have the audyssey equalization, right?

Right, my bad!
I got it mixed up with the Marantz receivers when I was looking for an upgrade from my good old Onkyo.
I contacted their support a while back and this is the answer I got (reference might be interesting for other people):
"No this (2 channel mode) is not possible with the SR-6011 and is a differentiation feature between SR6011 and SR7011".

Ok, but then you won't have the audyssey equalization, right?

Would you need Audyssey equalization if listening to stereo music though?

Would you need Audyssey equalization if listening to stereo music though?
In my old apartment it wouldn't make a huge difference, in the current one I perceive a lack of mids if I use the direct modes... and I'm not that picky regarding to listening, so I'd say yes in my case.

Sorry, I thought the point in Audyssey equalisation was to configure how the multi channel speakers distributed the sound to each speaker. In which case, would not be required for stereo.

I must have it all wrong.

Could somebody please explain "effects placement and steering"?

Surely all AV receivers (assuming they're decoding the surround audio track properly) steer and place effects to the same place...

Could somebody please explain "effects placement and steering"?

Surely all AV receivers (assuming they're decoding the surround audio track properly) steer and place effects to the same place...
Sounds like you know what is suggested. The speed and accuracy of how well items are placed around the soundstage and how clear they are within that space, and how precise the steering of any moving effects are. Listening to many different AVRs and processors you build up an appreciation of how this is achieved and while subjective it is a relevant observation.

Sorry, I thought the point in Audyssey equalisation was to configure how the multi channel speakers distributed the sound to each speaker. In which case, would not be required for stereo.

Maybe this manual page for the X8500H about Sounds mode and parameters sheds some light!

It adjusts the EQ for each and every channel, which applies to stereo mode too. It's really helps with stereo music, especially at lower volumes in conjunction with Dynamic EQ.

I know some people really balk at the idea of using any kind of EQ adjustment, but I couldn't listen to anything in Pure Direct mode anymore.

I've found Denon to be great and they even support earlier years with feature updates but if was buying a receiver now I'd be wanting HDMI 2.1 (none have yet) and to be sure HDR10+ was passed through too.

Recently BBC withdrew from Tunein in the UK - I think this might have affected HEOS users.

The 3600 is listed for what I paid for my 6200 - as I bought it towards the end of the model year and likewise the 3500 is about half the price of the 3600 at the moment.

I think they'll sell loads at that price, even more if it starts getting discounted.

I've been considering a Denon for my next receiver, the only thing that puts me off is the app... reviews for it are terrible. Has it been updated or fixed recently?

I use my Pioneer app quite a lot and it works really well, so I'd miss it if the Denon one is faulty.

I use my Pioneer app quite a lot and it works really well, so I'd miss it if the Denon one is faulty.
It has to be said that, app aside, that Audyssey XT32 is superior to Pioneer's in house room correction in almost every way.

I’m in the market for a new receiver. I really want to have a degree of future proofing. Is there something that v2.1 can do that v2.0b can’t?

I’m in the market for a new receiver. I really want to have a degree of future proofing. Is there something that v2.1 can do that v2.0b can’t?
If you're a gamer then I think there may be benefits or if you are in the market to purchase an 8K TV. As far as 4K blu ray or streaming UHD content then it will make no difference. Can't see me changing a quality four year old receiver just for 2.1.

It's fair to view buying a new (£1000) receiver as a 5 year+ purchase. Although things like eARC and DV/HLG passthrough have been retro-fitted by firmware much of HDMI 2.1 cant be. It won't add to the purchase cost (this years LG OLED are already cheaper than 2018 models) and I'd imagine might appear in 2020 models.

If you've got a Xbox One X or are planning on getting a Scarlet or PS5 then you'll need 2.1 to take advantage of VRR. For me (a keen gamer) that means my next AVR will have to have it.

I wonder how much it will cost them to upgrade all their 2.0 ports to 2.1 (I'm guessing the port is the same but new controlling hardware is needed) and if it's a fair bit if means that only high end AVRs will have it at first?

Feature wise, the Marantz 6013 is almost identical to the 3600, although this being a Denon it's probably a little more powerful. I think the Marantz is based on the 3500 platform but with extensions while the 3600 is essentially a 4500?

Anyway if you don't mind non 2.1 then you can pick one up for 700 quid (less if you don't mind used/refurb). I know it's not 2.1 but it does have eARC which probably the main feature required for non gamers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom