Denon AVR-X3600H 9.2 Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

It has to be said that, app aside, that Audyssey XT32 is superior to Pioneer's in house room correction in almost every way.

I've only ever used the Pioneer auto-setup as a starting point, then I tweak by ear. I'm old fashioned :p

@Phil Hinton Should I take your funny remark as sarcasm :p

On a serious note wouldn't you agree that his SR6013 would be very similar to the X3600H. Even in terms of features etc they both are neck and neck unless we are talking absolute full power which most of us never make use of. Any feedback would be appreciated.

It has to be said that, app aside, that Audyssey XT32 is superior to Pioneer's in house room correction in almost every way.
Audyseey is the only flaw with D&M i think its time for a revamp or completely ditch it all together having owned a Pioneer lx89 in the past it never killed the bass like Audyessey does. You can get the app or REW but that means extra work and costs

Audyseey is the only flaw with D&M i think its time for a revamp or completely ditch it all together having owned a Pioneer lx89 in the past it never killed the bass like Audyessey does. You can get the app or REW but that means extra work and costs
For me, I've found that extra bass is there but at a different part of the room. But that extra bass seems to be a little unbalanced. So with my current Ausyssey setup, there are some films like Godzilla KOM where all I need to do is up the volume.

Feature wise, the Marantz 6013 is almost identical to the 3600, although this being a Denon it's probably a little more powerful. I think the Marantz is based on the 3500 platform but with extensions while the 3600 is essentially a 4500?

Anyway if you don't mind non 2.1 then you can pick one up for 700 quid (less if you don't mind used/refurb). I know it's not 2.1 but it does have eARC which probably the main feature required for non gamers.
I'm sure that some will argue that the 3600 is based on the better platform. But for normal use I doubt there will be much difference.

Think he was referring to Pioneer's app for playing back music, Denon's app is not as good as Pioneers

Think he was referring to Pioneer's app for playing back music, Denon's app is not as good as Pioneers
No he is talking about the in house room correction. I am not saying MCACC is superior. I am saying Audyssey needs revamping compared to the likes of Dirac & Anthems ARC it needs to be on that level

I'd consider going back to Denon if they got something better than Audyssey. I've tried most of the correction systems, onboard and off, and I just don't rate Audyssey. Currently using an Anthem with ARC and it's the best one I've tried. I have never used DIRAC which I guess will be similar.

I always struggled to get the bass right with Audyssey.. my viewing room is a joke though for audio...maybe the latest version is better (last one I tried was 32)?

I'd consider going back to Denon if they got something better than Audyssey. I've tried most of the correction systems, onboard and off, and I just don't rate Audyssey. Currently using an Anthem with ARC and it's the best one I've tried. I have never used DIRAC which I guess will be similar.

I always struggled to get the bass right with Audyssey.. my viewing room is a joke though for audio...maybe the latest version is better (last one I tried was 32)?
Audyssey has almost always been great for me. The original Audyssey was pretty poor. I had to keep on running it until the result sounded reasonable. Audyssey MultiEQ was decent. Audyssey XT32 has been a revelation for me. Unfortunately, I cant' explain it any better that. The sub for me is set to be much louder and yet not boomy. So maybe I can explain it after all :)

Audyssey has almost always been great for me. The original Audyssey was pretty poor. I had to keep on running it until the result sounded reasonable. Audyssey MultiEQ was decent. Audyssey XT32 has been a revelation for me. Unfortunately, I cant' explain it any better that. The sub for me is set to be much louder and yet not boomy. So maybe I can explain it after all :)
You can ran Audyssey numerous times at the same mic positions and it will give you different bass dynamics everytime.

I have the sr8012, and Regardless of how good it moves the sound around my room, the most important factor is getting those impactful bass dynamics only with the app have I managed to get those lows backs, but i know I can get so much more our of this amp.

I know its room dependant as more than half of the battle is room acoustics Audessey should at least i provide us with a better quality mic Audyssey is big negative in my book.

There is also a considerable step up from the outgoing AVR-X3500 with a new extruded aluminium heatsink and power transformer similar to the AVR-X4500, it also jumps from seven channels of amplification on the X3500 to nine channels on this new X3600H model. With the same construction, power supply, heatsink and two extra channels of amplification as the X4500, Denon also boasts that these changes will significantly improve the audio performance.

While Marantz's SR7013 model equates to Denon's X4500, the new Denon X3600 now equates to the Marantz SR6014. The only real thing differentiating them is HDAM circuitry and the inclusion of multichannel analogue inputs on the Marantz models. The SR60xx models didn't really have much competition so I've no idea as to why D&M went and created some for it of their own accord?

As it stands right now, last year's SR6013 is better value than the new Denon model. The Denon model does however include a full sized display, something not found on the SR60xx models with their limited porthole display.

Last edited:
As it stands right now, last year's SR6013 is better value than the new Denon model. The Denon model does however include a full sized display, something not found on the SR60xx models with their limited porthole display.
*not you mate :)*

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m in the market for a new receiver. I really want to have a degree of future proofing. Is there something that v2.1 can do that v2.0b can’t?
I can sell mine for £998.99p which as I'm sure you are aware is a discounted price. I know it might look a bit generous but I love these forums and I'm always willing to help a fellow AVForum(er) out.

Thanks for the review Phil it seems you agree with What Hifi this is an outstanding product for the price.
I do wonder why they have included a phono stage though won't that detract from the quality a little?Maybe if they had it as optional extra it would be better.
I wonder how it compares to IOTA AV amp? Anyone know please?
Thanks

Nice review Phil,I am in the market for a new avr for my living room setup which has for the last few years been powered by an Onkyo 818 which I have been pretty pleased with. I will be getting either a Denon X4500 or X3600 or possibly a Marantz 6013 or 7012 if there are any of those still around.

I am waiting patiently for a decent black Friday deal and price will be the determining factor as all the above models fit my requirements, hopefully one of these will be available for around £900.The 6013s have been available recently for under £700 but my main reservation with this model is there is only a small porthole display which I am not keen on.

This will be my 3rd avr with XT32 and whilst it may not be in the ARC and Dirac class has worked well for me in the two rooms they have been used in.

The arc is that good, then why I am selling mine

Thanks for the review Phil it seems you agree with What Hifi this is an outstanding product for the price.
I do wonder why they have included a phono stage though won't that detract from the quality a little?Maybe if they had it as optional extra it would be better.
I wonder how it compares to IOTA AV amp? Anyone know please?
Thanks

I have the 4500 with the iota and I’m amazed at the power dynamics from the iota and the sound separation from the denon. Badass partnership

Im a bit surprised the HDMIs are only 2.0b and doesnt have full bandwidth 48gbps HDMI 2.1 connections. It also doesnt feature HDR10+

but i suppose thats for next years model

Im a bit surprised the HDMIs are only 2.0b and doesnt have full bandwidth 48gbps HDMI 2.1 connections. It also doesnt feature HDR10+

HDR10+ was still not really relevant when this model was released, never mind when it was designed. You would struggle to justify it now. Most HDMI 2.1 features are gamer related or 8K TV related. The only possible useful feature for the majority of users is eARC which Denon/Marantz have implemented since last year.

The LG tvs that came out early this year have full HDMI 2.1 support so like i said im a little surprised something released later in the year doesnt have those features. and myself being a gamer the features matter to me to have any kind if future proofing

Beyond my price-range but would love to try out the Atmos extended speakers thingamajig!

So the the 3600 and the 4500 are now at the same price,which one should I get?

So the the 3600 and the 4500 are now at the same price,which one should I get?
4500. Just looks more up market and I believe is still more powerful

No receiver launched this year will include HDMI version 2.1 so what is there to be surprised about?

No other receiver has HDMI version 2.1 and no receiver will be or is scheduled to get it until next year. I'd summise that they are awaiting the manufacturer of enough HDMI version 2.1 chipsets to facilitate their production lines and intended output? THere's no real incentive for any manufacturer to intoduce HDMI version 2.1 just yet and there will not really be any need for it until late next year. Even then, this will only be of any real use to those purchasing one of the next generation of games consoles. There isn't and probably will never be 8K disc based media.

The inclusion of eARC on an AV receiver also helps negate its need to include full blown HDMI version 2.1. eARC allows the conveyance of the same audio formats ordinarilly only accessible via HDMI to be conveyed using an enhanced form of ARC. If you had an 8K HDMI version 2.1 compliant display then it would also include eARC compliance and as such would allow an HDMI source requiring HDMI version 2.1 to be connected directly to the display while using eARC to then pass the audio through the TV and out to the eARC compliant AV receiver. All current AV receivers include eARC compliance despite not including HDMI version 2.1.

Denon/Marantz have held off replacing last years models above the X3600 and the SR6014 this year in order that the newer upper tier models will includede HDMI version 2.1 next year. The same is true of Yamaha who have also held back updating their top three models until next year.

Last edited:
4500. Just looks more up market and I believe is still more powerful

It is still technically the model above the X3600 and will be replaced next year with a replacement for the X3600. The X3600's replacement will sit below the X4500's replacement. This is not a replacement for the X4x00 line of receivers. Denon are simply not replacing the X4500 until next year.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom