Denon AVR-X3600H 9.2 Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

I have a dilema. I was able to snag a X3600H online for $870 shipped. I received the package yesterday. They shipped a X4500H instead. Do I keep the X4500H (2018 model) or have them send me what I ordered (X3600H 2019 model)?
The 4500 is a better receiver. It has the AL32 processing which the 3600 doesn't and I've been very impressed with it which I have on board a Denon SACD player.

I don't need Height Virtualization. I have in ceiling speakers for Atmos. The bluetooth headphone would be nice for late night movie watching while the wife is asleep. I heard that there may be a firmware update to add this feature?
Also is having HDCP 2.3 over 2.2 going to matter that much?

BT headphone is coming via firmware update in the future, although you could still use blutooth headphones without this feature if you buy a BT plug in transmitter and plug into the avr headphone socket.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I would worry that if it was to break at some point in the future then you wouldn't be able to return it for repair/replacement as all records will show you having a 3600.

I am waiting on a response from the vendor. If they are going to let me keep it, I have requested a receipt with the correct model listed.

Edit:
The vendor is letting me keep it at the price I paid and will send out an corrected invoice.

Last edited:
Just set my new Denon x3600 up with my existing speakers (old HK 5.1)
Easy to follow the on screen instructions. Got my Sky Q and Xbox one x setup.
Sounds so much better than my old Denon 1610, even without new speakers and picture seams better on my LG B8 but that probably placebo effect.
Got myself some new HDMI monoprice cables. Certified with the sticker and got 6 for less than £20 Inc delivery.
Any tweaks I should be making.

Many thanks

This has ISF calibrated pre sets. Can I match these up against the LG B8 ones?

Thanks

This has ISF calibrated pre sets. Can I match these up against the LG B8 ones?

Thanks

Why bother? Ensure that the display is correctly calibrated and turn off any adjustments and or processing on the AV receiver. Why would you need to adkust the TV's display via the AV receiver?

Wasn't sure TBH. But I'll turn it all off. Thanking you.

AV Rant are interviewing Sound United ( Denon, Marantz etc ) this week and the discussion will include Heos, streaming, Amazon Music HD amongst various subjects.

Can anyone tell me if the 3600 runs hot? I was looking at the X4500 but have been given the impression that it needs a fair bit of ventilation and the unit it would be going in to doesn't have much.

I just took delivery of an X4500 last week it does get fairly warm in my cabinet which is open at front and back but only has about 4" headroom. I have only been running it at about -20db up to yet but it is on for 8-10 hrs a day so decided to get these fans which work great and keep the avr stone cold which is great for longevity.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
THe receiver has an integral fan built into it. It is located on its base plate which has given rise to many not realising that there is one on the X4500. Heat is probably more to do with the receiver's video board and chipset that its amplification? The board is located at the top and near the top ventilation so would give the impression that the receiver is running hot if using touch to determine this.

The only true indication of a receiver running hot would be whether or not it is prone to switching itself into protection mode/standby?

Thanks chaps - I'm suddenly interested in the 4500 again...

I could probably work a bit of extra ventilation above the receiver, but not the sides.

Heat rises so yes, ventilation above a receiver is preferable to having it to its sides. Airflow around the case isn't to be completely ignored though as this can contributes to a device's cooling.

for anyone interested, Peter Tyson has the 4500 at £950 (use discount code -SAVE£50

Picked the X3600H up mainly for a 7.1.2 setup, if i wamt to go for 7.1.4 can i just use one of those little £30 TDP amps for the extra 2 channels?

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Picked the X3600H up mainly for a 7.1.2 setup, if i wamt to go for 7.1.4 can i just use one of those little £30 TDP amps for the extra 2 channels?

Yes, but you would have to balance the volume on the little amp as well as the global volume on the receiver. You would be far better off getting a good power amp for the front channels and assign the spare amps to the additional speakers for a far better audio quality. Buy cheap, pay twice.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Yes, but you would have to balance the volume on the little amp as well as the global volume on the receiver. You would be far better off getting a good power amp for the front channels and assign the spare amps to the additional speakers for a far better audio quality. Buy cheap, pay twice.
Ok good advice, what would be a good entry level power amp to go for?

Behringer make some good entry level power amps and is worth a look. I'm not too knowledgeable about down and out power amps choosing to have an integrated stereo amp with HT by-pass driving the fronts connected to my Denon receiver. That, however, is an expensive option more so than a good power amp.

May be worth you asking a question in your own thread.

Hello
Next week I will receive the x3600 and I need Your advice. On my previous receiver I used 7 external amplifier what I want to use with Denon as well but I want to add 2 more Dolby atmos speakers. Is it possible to use the internal amp for 2 atmos speakers only and what would be the Denon settings?
Thanks

Today I received my 3600H and I am very very disappointed with weak Sub channel. I have old Yamaha 596-RDS and it has several times more powerful bass channel.

I have 3 front speakers connected currently (will add 2 more in next few days) with SVS PB2000 sub. LFE cutover freq 80Hz, LPF for LFE 120 Hz, speakers set to small (so sub is only one reproducing low freq). I used manual speaker setup, no Audyssey since I am missing speakers and manual setup shouldn't matter since it would be for fine tuning. I thought it might be eARC related so I used digital cable for 2nd try, same thing.

For testing I've used U571 depth charges scene and hacksaw ridge navy battle cruiser bombardment scene. Denon is missing SOOOO MUCH low frequency details, it's terrible. I am not hearing what I heard on my Yamaha and I am missing WOW effect. I think i'll return it and go back to Yamaha... If I didn't have a receiver that reproduces LFE better I wouldn't even notice this since movies are fairly decent.

Today I received my 3600H and I am very very disappointed with weak Sub channel. I have old Yamaha 596-RDS and it has several times more powerful bass channel.

I have 3 front speakers connected currently (will add 2 more in next few days) with SVS PB2000 sub. LFE cutover freq 80Hz, LPF for LFE 120 Hz, speakers set to small (so sub is only one reproducing low freq). I used manual speaker setup, no Audyssey since I am missing speakers and manual setup shouldn't matter since it would be for fine tuning. I thought it might be eARC related so I used digital cable for 2nd try, same thing.

For testing I've used U571 depth charges scene and hacksaw ridge navy battle cruiser bombardment scene. Denon is missing SOOOO MUCH low frequency details, it's terrible. I am not hearing what I heard on my Yamaha and I am missing WOW effect. I think i'll return it and go back to Yamaha... If I didn't have a receiver that reproduces LFE better I wouldn't even notice this since movies are fairly decent.

If you performed a manual setup and set the levels and distances manually without the aid of the auto calibration, the distance settings you've entered may not be correctly synchronising the sub with the other speakers present? This could be one reason why the bass doesn't seem as it should be?

I'd suggest you use the auto calibration irrespective of whether or not you intend to use Audyssey room EQ correction afterward. You can simply turn the room EQ correction filtering off post calibration. The calibration will result in far more accurate analysis of the delays required to syncronise the sub with the other s[eakers. A tape measure cannot account for external factors influncing the time an audio signal take to leave the receiver and reach your listening position.

Distance
Seriously, how important can this be? You let auto-calibration take care of this for you, or if you’re feeling particularly hands on, you might whip out the tape measure, right? A word of wisdom: don’t underestimate the power of the distance setting in your A/V receiver. Obviously the primary job of the distance setting is setting a delay relative to your other speakers. Note, the distance reported by your receiver’s auto-calibration will be inclusive of any delay caused by signal processing happening inside the subwoofer (EQ, low pass filtering, etc.), which can add several feet to the distance per your tape measure. Above and beyond this, the distance adjustment functions as a phase control of sorts. Adding or subtracting a couple feet from the distance of your subwoofer is a viable way of getting rid of an ugly peak or dip around the crossover point. Again, to make the most out of this tool, one does need the ability to take measurements. Still, who would have ever thought such an innocuous setting could have that kind of power?

If you don't trust the levels either then you can simply tweak them accordingly post calibration.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom