Denon AVR-X3600H 9.2 Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

If you performed a manual setup and set the levels and distances manually without the aid of the auto calibration, the distance settings you've entered may not be correctly synchronising the sub with the other speakers present? This could be one reason why the bass doesn't seem as it should be?

I'd suggest you use the auto calibration irrespective of whether or not you intend to use Audyssey room EQ correction afterward. You can simply turn the room EQ correction filtering off post calibration. The calibration will result in far more accurate analysis of the delays required to syncronise the sub with the other s[eakers. A tape measure cannot account for external factors influncing the time an audio signal take to leave the receiver and reach your listening position.

If you don't trust the levels either then you can simply tweak them accordingly post calibration.

I had to bump volume on sub for about 20% to get effects that were missing. Still, I am missing a power kick but I think Denon's sub channel is more accurate. I am hearing only low freq., probably since yamaha didn't have crossover freq. setting.

Well its BF and no one seems to be offering any better prices than £999 for X4500 and £799 for £X3600 so I ordered a 4500 which should be here in a few days. I managed to get a further discount which got me closer to my hoped for £900ish price on the X4500 so I am not complaining. Lets just hope the price for the X4500 does not substantially drop over the next few weeks though as I will feel a twit at jumping now :D.
Sorry to jump in now, new member. I just found this forum.

I too am having trouble deciding on the 3600 or the 4500. (Replacing a 12 year old Pioneer). Checked the BF prices too but waited for our Boxing Day sales here in Canada.

But my question is about the prices you are quoting. Your price for the 3600 you mention here was £799. I assume this is GBP (British Pounds)?

If correct, wow, your prices are expensive there.

The 3600 is selling here for $799 CAD (Canadian dollars). About 467 pounds. The 4500 is $1298 CAD (759 Pounds).

So I wonder if I am missing something.

Sorry to jump in now, new member. I just found this forum.

I too am having trouble deciding on the 3600 or the 4500. (Replacing a 12 year old Pioneer). Checked the BF prices too but waited for our Boxing Day sales here in Canada.

But my question is about the prices you are quoting. Your price for the 3600 you mention here was £799. I assume this is GBP (British Pounds)?

If correct, wow, your prices are expensive there.

The 3600 is selling here for $799 CAD (Canadian dollars). About 467 pounds. The 4500 is $1298 CAD (759 Pounds).

So I wonder if I am missing something.
We get ripped off here in the UK, but not quite as bad as it first appears. A quick look at bestbuy.ca shows that you have to add another $100 in taxes whereas our current £750 price is inclusive of tax. You also only get 1 year warranty compared to our 3+ years.

We get ripped off here in the UK, but not quite as bad as it first appears. A quick look at bestbuy.ca shows that you have to add another $100 in taxes whereas our current £750 price is inclusive of tax. You also only get 1 year warranty compared to our 3+ years.
Thanks for the reply. I didn't think it was as bad as it looked.

I believe the Best Buy website is wrong. Denon Canada has the warranty at 2 years. Not quite the 3 years in the UK but better than 1 year.

I don’t know if anyone is using theirs with an Xbox one x, I am and when set to atmos through audio settings, the display only shows multi in and not atmos. My nvidia shield plays and displays atmos properly though. Is this an Xbox fault of some type?

Last edited:
I don’t know if anyone is using theirs with an Xbox one x, I am and when set to atmos through audio settings, the display only shows multi in and not atmos. My nvidia shield plays and displays atmos properly though. Is this an Xbox fault of some type?
I just watched a video posted on last page of 3500 owners thread, you have to download the Dolby access app on xbox1 to enable atmos

Denon AVR-X3600H and Firestick 4K issue.
Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I've searched and am struggling to see any similar threads. Basically I get no picture output from the FireStick 4K if I have the HDMI ports in Enhanced mode. I also have a Humax and UHD Blue-Ray connected and they work fine when enhanced mode if selected. The FireStick works in standard mode fine, I get UHD / HDR and Dolby vision passed to the screen via the Amp (but YouTube won't playback in 4k :( ). I have a 4k Firestick plugged into the media player HDMI port at the back of the Amp (close to the output as suggested by Denon), I have disabled the video conversion option. no difference.

The resolution on the Stick is set to auto. colour space up to 12bit. I have manually set the resolution to 4K and 1080 but the results are the same.

Any suggestions would be great.

I just watched a video posted on last page of 3500 owners thread, you have to download the Dolby access app on xbox1 to enable atmos
Hi, yes I’ve done this. It may be playing atmos, the display doesn’t show it though it just says multi channel stereo. It is probably just a display issue.

Hi, yes I’ve done this. It may be playing atmos, the display doesn’t show it though it just says multi channel stereo. It is probably just a display issue.
The receiver will only show Atmos on the display when it is actually receiving an Atmos signal. You can check by going into the set up menu, scroll to the bottom for information and click on audio. This will tell you the incoming signal type, number of channels from that source and to what speakers are active.

I think the Atmos is borked on Xbox One X just now, to be fixed in a future dashboard update - It was working before, with my old x2300, but after a recent update (and now I have my x3600h) it is only showing the multi in.

I remember reading this a week or so ago somewhere, either on MS forums or a Reddit - can't find the proof now though, sorry, but it appears to be a known issue.

The receiver will only show Atmos on the display when it is actually receiving an Atmos signal. You can check by going into the set up menu, scroll to the bottom for information and click on audio. This will tell you the incoming signal type, number of channels from that source and to what speakers are active.

Yeahm when I play stuff that I know is atmos, it just say multi in. I'm talking demos on the dolby atmos app plus I've tried gears 5 and that does the same. Maybe a future update will sort it.

Yeahm when I play stuff that I know is atmos, it just say multi in. I'm talking demos on the dolby atmos app plus I've tried gears 5 and that does the same. Maybe a future update will sort it.
Life is so much easier with a blu ray player. ;)

Are you saying the 'fault' lies with the XBox or the 3600?

I’m guessing this is now the “owners” thread as I’ve searched and this seems to be the most commented in.

Set all mine up yesterday, did the calibration and levels have been set approx -5db across the board this has resulted in volume near the 60 mark to get a decent movie volume, I’ve also had to up the centre speaker to +5db to get vocals at a level to be heard over general noise - is this right?

Room is 5.6m x 3.4m with screen along short wall. MA bronze 2.0 front speakers, MA bronze centre, Kef c120 rear and surround in ceiling speakers plus SW

I’m guessing this is now the “owners” thread as I’ve searched and this seems to be the most commented in.

Set all mine up yesterday, did the calibration and levels have been set approx -5db across the board this has resulted in volume near the 60 mark to get a decent movie volume, I’ve also had to up the centre speaker to +5db to get vocals at a level to be heard over general noise - is this right?

Room is 5.6m x 3.4m with screen along short wall. MA bronze 2.0 front speakers, MA bronze centre, Kef c120 rear and surround in ceiling speakers plus SW
Change your volume control from the absolute to the dB level. This will give members a clearer indication of the relative volume you are listening at. The Denon is calibrated to 75dB and most find a comfortable listening level of between -15dB to -25dB for blu ray and somewhat higher for TV. I estimate that your 60 mark is somewhere around the -25dB level. You can actually turn the Denon up to a ear bleeding level of +18dB.

You can adjust your speaker individual levels to suit your listening habits. The centre is very prone to poor placement. If you have it on a shelf then make sure the front of the speaker is sitting proud of the edge of the shelf by around 25cm. It will not perform well in a cabinet or placed too low, the idea height being a seated head height.

Change your volume control from the absolute to the dB level. This will give members a clearer indication of the relative volume you are listening at. The Denon is calibrated to 75dB and most find a comfortable listening level of between -15dB to -25dB for blu ray and somewhat higher for TV. I estimate that your 60 mark is somewhere around the -25dB level. You can actually turn the Denon up to a ear bleeding level of +18dB.

You can adjust your speaker individual levels to suit your listening habits. The centre is very prone to poor placement. If you have it on a shelf then make sure the front of the speaker is sitting proud of the edge of the shelf by around 25cm. It will not perform well in a cabinet or placed too low, the idea height being a seated head height.

thanks for your reply , how do I change from absolute to dB?

also my centre speaker is low level on a hearth, it’s angled up ( with door stops) to hopefully get it at ear level ( I was sort of hoping the calibration would compensate for this)

thanks for your reply , how do I change from absolute to dB?

also my centre speaker is low level on a hearth, it’s angled up ( with door stops) to hopefully get it at ear level ( I was sort of hoping the calibration would compensate for this)
Set Up>Audio>Volume>Scale. Change from 0-98 which is set by default.

Set Up>Audio>Volume>Scale. Change from 0-98 which is set by default.
Level is at -24db watching John Wick 3 on Netflix via Sky Q - I’ve moved centre speaker down to +1.0db which is acceptable to hear dialogue

Level is at -24db watching John Wick 3 on Netflix via Sky Q - I’ve moved centre speaker down to +1.0db which is acceptable to hear dialogue
That's what I was expecting. Your centre will be affected by position something that Audyssey will have compensated for it.

Life is so much easier with a blu ray player. ;)

Are you saying the 'fault' lies with the XBox or the 3600?

The problem is with the Xbox - don't know if you saw my post - I was also scratching my head over this.

I followed "another forums" owners thread and changed my crossover to 80mhz on all speakers and made sure all speakers were set to "small" so the subwoofer actually comes to life now. Never had any probs with vocals from the centre speaker.

My trouble is 2 channel stereo on Freeview only allowing me to choose Dolby Surround to span the sound out - causing annoying voice echo on the side speakers - never happened on my old x2300 and I read that Dolby gave up on forcing their own vitual surround instead of allowing DTS etc.

Just set up my x3600h from Richer Sounds (pretty good bargain £799 with the free Alex Dot and they briefly offered the 6 year warranty free instead of 10% extra on Black Friday).

This replaced my trusty x2300w.

Duly setup using Audyssey (7.1 for now, banned from having the height by the wife due to young family) and it sounds immense - much more expansive and crisper sounding.

One fairly annoying thing I've noticed, that wasn't present with the previous amp, is when using Dolby Surround to upmix stereo (from mostly UK Freeview). The centre dialogue can be heard coming from the sides (and to a lesser extent the rears) and it is quite offputting, a bit hissy and warbling at times - Changing to DTS:Neural X alleviates this with centre dialogue restricted to the centre speaker while still giving an upmixed surround sound. Of course properly mixed DD/DTS right from the bog standard 5.1 to Atmos and HD all sound terrific with proper placement of sounds.

I have exactly the same issue! I’ve upgraded from an X1300. I agree with your comment about it sounding more immense and crisper. The surround sound effects seem better placed and more real than with my previous receiver. However I am getting the same issue you describe with Dolby Surround: the sound seems over processed and artificial. I couldn’t put my finger on what it was, but like you I discovered that the dialogue is coming from the front L&R speakers as well as the centre. It creates an echo like effect which is really unnatural. Also words with ‘S’ sound lispy and harsh. After a lot of googling I discovered a new word - Sibilance. This seems to be what I am experiencing. I was so excited to get this receiver but after going through every possible setting and spending hours and hours googling and playing with settings I think I will just have to return it and go back to my X1300. I’m really disappointed that this receiver doesn’t live up to the hype.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have exactly the same issue! I’ve upgraded from an X1300. I agree with your comment about it sounding more immense and crisper. The surround sound effects seem better placed and more real than with my previous receiver. However I am getting the same issue you describe with Dolby Surround: the sound seems over processed and artificial. I couldn’t put my finger on what it was, but like you I discovered that the dialogue is coming from the front L&R speakers as well as the centre. It creates an echo like effect which is really unnatural. Also words with ‘S’ sound lispy and harsh. After a lot of googling I discovered a new word - Sibilance. This seems to be what I am experiencing. I was so excited to get this receiver but after going through every possible setting and spending hours and hours googling and playing with settings I think I will just have to return it and go back to my X1300. I’m really disappointed that this receiver doesn’t live up to the hype.
You probably have the centre spread option selected on the receiver

Just had a look and couldn’t find that option (I did wonder this myself). After a bit of digging it seems that this option is no longer available on 2019 models.

"OFFICIAL" 2019 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Other people are experiencing the same issue as me but I’m yet to find any post offering a solution. I’ve have literally tried turning every setting on and off, changing speaker levels and distances, turning Audyssey off, turning the centre channel off (4.1.2 set up) and even copying every setting from my old AVR like for like to the new one. Still no joy. I can only conclude that this AVR doesn’t play nice with my speakers. I have read a few posts about this - how a set of speakers can sound completely different when connected to different equipment. Another thing I noticed, there is no option to use DTS processing for a stereo input instead of Dolby like on my old unit. Also I hate to nit pick but why does the front display now say ‘sur’ instead of ‘surround’? It’s not like there’s not enough space to display all the characters! 😂

Still cheaper in Canada even with their $100 tax added and by quite a large margin, I make the price £525 with tax added compared to the price we pay £750=£225 or 30% cheaper in Canada for 1 year less in terms of warranty. They don't call the UK treasure island for nothing.

Just had a look and couldn’t find that option (I did wonder this myself). After a bit of digging it seems that this option is no longer available on 2019 models.

"OFFICIAL" 2019 Denon "S-Series" / "X-Series" AVR Owner's Thread + FAQ (Posts 1-8) - Page 20 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Other people are experiencing the same issue as me but I’m yet to find any post offering a solution. I’ve have literally tried turning every setting on and off, changing speaker levels and distances, turning Audyssey off, turning the centre channel off (4.1.2 set up) and even copying every setting from my old AVR like for like to the new one. Still no joy. I can only conclude that this AVR doesn’t play nice with my speakers. I have read a few posts about this - how a set of speakers can sound completely different when connected to different equipment. Another thing I noticed, there is no option to use DTS processing for a stereo input instead of Dolby like on my old unit. Also I hate to nit pick but why does the front display now say ‘sur’ instead of ‘surround’? It’s not like there’s not enough space to display all the characters! 😂

Exactly - I looked around and also saw this "centre spread solution" but it just doesn't apply here because that option is totally missing.

Might get in touch with Denon, this really is a deal killer for me - it's a hard one to explain so I'm glad you've come across "Sibilance"! This rasping is getting on my wick now.

I'm sure my old x2300 amp used to say DD 2.0 + DD Sur or something like that when I played back Freeview stereo content - now it is just this DD Sur.

I've found a way round it, as I use HD Homerun for Freeview now - using Plex for live TV allows DTS Neo to be used and it's back the way I like it (with no rasping/lisping). However all the many old shows I have on Blu-Ray in DD 2.0 are still unwatchable as there is no way to select DTS any more.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom