Denon AVR-X3600H 9.2 Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

I’m going to call Denon and richer sounds later to see if they can shed any light. But I suspect the only solution will be to return or exchange as I haven’t read anything online about a fix from the other people experiencing this issue.

Morning,
I have just returned a Pioneer VSX LX303 as it had handshake issues (I think due to HDCP 2.2) with my Toshiba EP35 HD dvd player. Can anyone on here confirm if they have this player connected without any issues?

thank you

The x4500 will switch between both Dolby and DTS upmixers and is also a better avr see if they will let you swap out, you will have to pay about £150 more.

Hi,

I have a dn 1080 and I have problems with cec, dolby vision in apple tv, etc.
I want to change avr and I´m inclined to buy the x3600.
my system is:

LG oled 55B6V
Sony dn 1080
PS4
Apple Tv 4K
5.1 monitor audio speakers (2x mr4, 2xmr2, 1xmrc + subwoofer)

if I upgrade to a x3600, no more problems/issues?

Tks

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a dn 1080 and I have problems with cec, dolby vision in apple tv, etc.
I want to change avr and I´m inclined to buy the x3600.
my system is:

LG oled 55B6V
Sony dn 1080
PS4
Apple Tv 4K
5.1 monitor audio speakers (2x mr4, 2xmr2, 1xmrc + subwoofer)

if I upgrade to a x3600, no more problems/issues?

Tks
I have no issues with with arc or HDR using a PS4 pro, Denon X3600 and a 2017 65” LG OLED. Have you checked your settings on all devices? I seem to recall there being a few things you have to switch on like RGB 10 bit colour etc... so that might effect HDR. Also I have read that Apple TV can be very fussy when it comes to HDMI cables (I don’t have Apple TV myself). Thinking about it, when I 1st got my PS4 I had issues with the image dropping out. I think my old cables were HDMI 1.4, I bought some reasonably priced 2.0 cables off amazon (1 between the PS4 and receiver and another from the receiver to the tv) and it’s never been an issue since.

I've just replaced my Denon AVC-A1D, which was a pretty decent amp in it's day, for the 3600 and have to say I'm massively impressed with the processing side of things. The sound steering really is very good.
I haven't listened to it at anywhere near reference level yet, but I can tell it doesn't have the sheer grunt/weight of sound as the A1D. It's perfectly adequate at normal listening levels though, from what I've heard up to now.
Definitely worth a listen, at least.

I have a problem with Audyssey on 3600.
I am quite up to speed in these things but moved from an Onkyo with it’s much maligned Accueq system to the 3600 with the revered Audyssey XT32 system.
I have 5 Q Accoustic speakers for floor speakers, 2 Cambridge Audio Minx 23 for height (soon to be 4) and 2 Elac Debut 10.2 subs both positioned at the front of the room in between the front left and right speakers.
Accueq in all its glory doesn’t eq the room but does a decent job of measuring the distances from the MLP to each speaker and setting the levels. XT32 on the other hand is pretty poor at this side of things - particularly for the subs where it measures no1 sub at 0.00m from the MLP and no2 at 0.03m and then sets the volumes of both to minus 12 even though they’re in the green at the pre level check.
The rest of the distances are all pretty much OK but all of the levels are well down in the minus chart meaning that where I could run the Onkyo at about -25 on the main volume dial, the 3600 has to be set at -15 and even then bass is non existent- even with dynamic eq on.
Faulty receiver or crap and unmeasurable subs?
I’ve used the app as well and whilst it’s great for altering frequency ranges and curves, the measurements are exactly the same as using the inbuilt eq on the amp.
Now I know that Audyssey doesn’t eq the speakers - it does the room - and I know about distance and volume relatively but setting both subs actually ON the MLP and then lowering the volume to the lowest it can go doesn’t seem right to me...

Plus did anybody see an update yesterday? I think this may be different to the BT headphones one as it fixes stability and minor issues. May be a fix for the XBox problem which was down to the Denon FW

I do like the overall surround experience created from stereo sources by Dolby Surround so is there anything I should be doing to make this work a bit better?

Posting here as I didn't see an x3600h owners thread yet.

I just created an owner's thread:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys, Ive just joined the 3600 club, upgrading from a pioneer to the denon. I have everything set up but i have one question if i may. I have it set up as 5.1.4 with st ceiling speakers set up as top middle and top rear. However, when i play an Atmos disk i dont get anything from the top rear speakers. the amp says Atmos but the disk info on my Panasonic 820 says truHD 7.1.
Can someone please tell me what im missing???
Thank you

Hi Guys, Ive just joined the 3600 club, upgrading from a pioneer to the denon. I have everything set up but i have one question if i may. I have it set up as 5.1.4 with st ceiling speakers set up as top middle and top rear. However, when i play an Atmos disk i dont get anything from the top rear speakers. the amp says Atmos but the disk info on my Panasonic 820 says truHD 7.1.
Can someone please tell me what im missing???
Thank you
If the amp says Atmos then it is receiving an Atmos signal. It is the receiver that does the decoding when the player is set to bitstream. To confirm the signal you can go to the Set Up menu and scroll down to information and then press audio. That will show you the incoming signal and what speakers are in use.

To confirm you have set up and configured the amp properly again go to Set Up menu, then Audyssey, followed by Manual. Select speakers and play the test tones. The onscreen graphics will show which speakers are connected and play the test tone through them, high lighting each as you scroll down the list of speakers.

Last but by no means least is the Atmos disc itself. The Atmos speakers will not be active all of the time. The ceiling simply isn't going to come alive with sound and will only be there when the director wants it to be. I've got at least two Atmos titles that have about a few seconds of Atmos use in the whole film Phantom Thread (DTS:X) is a good example of this.

Gibbsy, Thank you ever so much for your quick and concise reply:smashin:. I am new to Atmos so please bear with me !!
I ran the Audyssey this morning when setting it all up and I have just checked and the top rear speakers are there. I have just checked the info on the amp as you suggested and it says the top rear speakers are in use so it must be a case as you said that very little is sent through these speakers. However it seems that all is present and correct. (any suggestions for Atmos films which utilise the top rear speakers more)
On a side note I wish manufacturers supplied a printed manual with glectrical goods rather than putting them online, I always used to like flicking through seeing what everything does :facepalm:!!! I have downloaded the manual and was going to print it off until i say it was 350 pages long:eek:

Gibbsy, Thank you ever so much for your quick and concise reply:smashin:. I am new to Atmos so please bear with me !!
I ran the Audyssey this morning when setting it all up and I have just checked and the top rear speakers are there. I have just checked the info on the amp as you suggested and it says the top rear speakers are in use so it must be a case as you said that very little is sent through these speakers. However it seems that all is present and correct. (any suggestions for Atmos films which utilise the top rear speakers more)
On a side note I wish manufacturers supplied a printed manual with glectrical goods rather than putting them online, I always used to like flicking through seeing what everything does :facepalm:!!! I have downloaded the manual and was going to print it off until i say it was 350 pages long:eek:
A Quiet Place
10 Cloverfield Lane
13 Hours The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi
Everest

All the above are available on blu ray with Atmos tracks.

Hi,

problem solved... the cable between the receiver to the tv (4 mt)...I bought 1 new bivani 8k (3 mt) from amazon and I solved the problem of dolby vision.
my other cables between the receiver and all devices are belkin 4k.

Tks

I have no issues with with arc or HDR using a PS4 pro, Denon X3600 and a 2017 65” LG OLED. Have you checked your settings on all devices? I seem to recall there being a few things you have to switch on like RGB 10 bit colour etc... so that might effect HDR. Also I have read that Apple TV can be very fussy when it comes to HDMI cables (I don’t have Apple TV myself). Thinking about it, when I 1st got my PS4 I had issues with the image dropping out. I think my old cables were HDMI 1.4, I bought some reasonably priced 2.0 cables off amazon (1 between the PS4 and receiver and another from the receiver to the tv) and it’s never been an issue since.
Hi,

problem solved... the cable between the receiver to the tv (4 mt)...I bought 1 new bivani 8k (3 mt) from amazon and I solved the problem of dolby vision.
my other cables between the receiver and all devices are belkin 4k.

Tks

FYI. If anyone, like me, misses the dimmer button on the remote Logitech have just added the command to my account so I can now dim/turn off the unit display from my Harmony once the film has started.

Hey folks, I think I'm doing a silly thing here... 😂
I'm asking in this thread if it's worth me buying one of these models in my situation... I'm pretty sure the answers will be "Yes John, it'll be a huge upgrade" and plenty of "No point really, not much benefit" 😂😂😂
So, I run a 5.1 system with Dali Zensor 1's and a Monolith sub in a room about 12ft x 14ft.
My amp is coming up to 11 years old - Pioneer vsx 1019. I use a HD FURY to get TRUEHD out of the xbox and UHD to the TV as the amp can only pass through 1080p.
I also have a house set up with every room has Google Home devices and a chromecast in the avr to play music chosen through the Home device to play on the main system.

My disc spinner is (only used occasionally) an xbox one s.
My TV is the brilliant 2018 LG C6 (4K UHD Curved screen, dolby vision, HDR and it is the true HDR, not like a £400 HDR TV). I mostly watch Netflix and amazon prime.

Anyway, I fancy upgrading the amp to the X3600 which seems like a phenomenal piece of kit for its original price and quote amazing for the current pricing.

But will I notice any obvious sound improvement with the 5.1 as I use it? Obviously better processor and amps.....? Better for 2 channel music?
Or would I only get the benefit if I went Atmos?

Thanks in advance

Hey folks, I think I'm doing a silly thing here... 😂
I'm asking in this thread if it's worth me buying one of these models in my situation... I'm pretty sure the answers will be "Yes John, it'll be a huge upgrade" and plenty of "No point really, not much benefit" 😂😂😂
So, I run a 5.1 system with Dali Zensor 1's and a Monolith sub in a room about 12ft x 14ft.
My amp is coming up to 11 years old - Pioneer vsx 1019. I use a HD FURY to get TRUEHD out of the xbox and UHD to the TV as the amp can only pass through 1080p.
I also have a house set up with every room has Google Home devices and a chromecast in the avr to play music chosen through the Home device to play on the main system.

My disc spinner is (only used occasionally) an xbox one s.
My TV is the brilliant 2018 LG C6 (4K UHD Curved screen, dolby vision, HDR and it is the true HDR, not like a £400 HDR TV). I mostly watch Netflix and amazon prime.

Anyway, I fancy upgrading the amp to the X3600 which seems like a phenomenal piece of kit for its original price and quote amazing for the current pricing.

But will I notice any obvious sound improvement with the 5.1 as I use it? Obviously better processor and amps.....? Better for 2 channel music?
Or would I only get the benefit if I went Atmos?

Thanks in advance
Morning Shodan,
I upgraded last week from an old Pioneer Vsx923 which was running 7.1 to the X3600 which I am now running as 5.1.4. and I must say the difference is noticable. Irrespective of the Atmos to me the sound sounds much crisper than my old pioneer and the seperation seems more defined. It's still early days as I've been messing with my inputs in order to get both my UHD player and my old trusty HD DVD player to pass through the receiver to my LG C6 (how good is 3D on this BTW!!!:cool:) but now its all set up things seem great.

Sorry I cant give any more technical information but i'm happy with the upgrade :D

Yes John :thumbsup:

This may be a silly question but can I use my old Pioneer VSX923 as an additional amp to power another 2 speakers to enable me to go 7.1.4? (is it even worth doing?)
I appreciate that the VSX may be a bit overkill to power a couple of rear surround speakers but I doubt I will get much for it second hand so I thought maybe put it to good use with a spare set of speakers I have. If I can do this will it mean I will have to control the volumes separately or can it be set up so the master volume of the Denon will also control the Pioneer powered speakers?
I was wondering about buying a cheap second hand stereo amp, something like a Cambridge audio A5 with the money from selling the Pioneer but if the Pioneer will do the job then no point in selling it to buy something different.
I have tried googling it but I am getting confused (it's my age!!!) with the differences between pre amps, power amps, pre in/pre out etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated
thank you:)

This may be a silly question but can I use my old Pioneer VSX923 as an additional amp to power another 2 speakers to enable me to go 7.1.4? (is it even worth doing?)
I appreciate that the VSX may be a bit overkill to power a couple of rear surround speakers but I doubt I will get much for it second hand so I thought maybe put it to good use with a spare set of speakers I have. If I can do this will it mean I will have to control the volumes separately or can it be set up so the master volume of the Denon will also control the Pioneer powered speakers?
I was wondering about buying a cheap second hand stereo amp, something like a Cambridge audio A5 with the money from selling the Pioneer but if the Pioneer will do the job then no point in selling it to buy something different.
I have tried googling it but I am getting confused (it's my age!!!) with the differences between pre amps, power amps, pre in/pre out etc.

Any advice would be much appreciated
thank you:)
I'm a million light years away from doing this, but I did wonder about this exact thing!

It’s a pain using an old AVR as a power amp as you then have 2 volumes that you have to balance. It can be done but it’s much easier with a power amp.

It’s a pain using an old AVR as a power amp as you then have 2 volumes that you have to balance. It can be done but it’s much easier with a power amp.
Thank you for the advice Nobbler. I did read that you should set the volume of the second amp to around 80%, run the auddessy setup, let it work its magic then the volume for both is controlled by the main amp!! is this not the case??

Sorry I’ve never used an AVR as a power amp so can’t answer any questions on it. I did find quite a bit on Google though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom