Denon AVR-X3600H 9.2 Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

Maybe a silly question, I don't know anything about IMAX but presumably this imax enhanced skullduggery on the amp required imax enhanced disc and imax enhanced ability on the TV /projector?

Maybe a silly question, I don't know anything about IMAX but presumably this imax enhanced skullduggery on the amp required imax enhanced disc and imax enhanced ability on the TV /projector?
For the audio side of things just the amp and the disc.

So what are the improvements of imax enhanced audio over TRUEHD?

So what are the improvements of imax enhanced audio over TRUEHD?

It is basically just DTS:X with knobs on. DTS claim that the receiver tweaks the DTS:X encoded audio to give you a better experience. No one can work out why DTS don't do this with all their soundtracks as opposed to just reserving it for the IMAX Enhanced titles? It isn't a new format and doesn't need IMAX, but only the IMAX Enhanced compliant receivers do this tweak.

What makes an IMAX Enhanced A/V receiver different from an A/V receiver with DTS:X technology?

DTS:X technology is commonly found in most multi-channel A/V receivers on the market today. All IMAX Enhanced A/V receivers include DTS:X technology and deliver additional features such as auto-sensing of IMAX Enhanced content via IMAX Mode. IMAX Mode indicates that your A/V receiver supports fully immersive IMAX signature sound.

Quick question about speaker cable lengths. In the past the best practice was to of course have them equal for any pair of the speakers but is this need now negated with build in room correction (as i counts delay which would equalize any cable length differences between speakers)? Can the left front length be different to right front?

Or are the delays in room correction set per speaker pairs rather then individual speakers?

Thanks

The cable lengths would need to be inordinately unequal for them to effect the signal being conveyed. There's no real reason why the cables cannot be different lengths as long as those differences aren't drasticaly different. You'd not ordinarilly effect the distance/delay settings by using longer cables. The distance settings aren't really the issue even with longer cable lengths and the issue relative to inordinately long cables would be that of the impedance they impose upon the signal being conveyed. Longer cables impose more impedance but, you'd need cables much longer than you'd ordinarilly expect in order for the impedance to become an issue though.

Last edited:
The cable lengths would need to be inordinately unequal for them to effect the signal being conveyed. There's no real reason why the cables cannot be different lengths as long as those differences aren't drasticaly different. You'd not ordinarilly effect the distance/delay settings by using longer cables. The distance settings aren't really the issue even with longer cable lengths and the issue relative to inordinately long cables would be that of the impedance they impose upon the signal being conveyed. Longer cables impose more impedance but, you'd need cables much longer than you'd ordinarilly expect in order for the impedance to become an issue though.

So do you different lengths between speakers of the same set (between fronts for example)?

Ideally no, but if the lengths are not drastically different and or long enough to effect the impedance of one length of wire compared to the other then it wouldn't be detectable while listening to the setup. Most setups would have the 2 speakers equidistant from the amp anyway and it would be very unusual to have one speaker such a distance away that it effected the signal being conveyed to it in a detrimental manner.

Last edited:
So do you different lengths between speakers of the same set (between fronts for example)?
Because my amp is offset to one side of the cabinet I have different lengths to the fronts, 1m and 2m. The surrounds have an even greater difference because the surround left has to go up over a door. Whatever distance and timing is no doubt compensated for with the room correction.

Ok silly imax question (purely theoretical since there are like 3 blu rays that are imax enhanced at the moment).

imax enhanced is both VIDEO and AUDIO.
Audio is DTSX with an ‘imax’ signature or whatever. 3600h supports this so if I played an imax blu ray I would get DTSX IMAX.
Video however is HDR10+ with an ‘imax’ signature. 3600h does NOT support HDR10+ so basically if we played an imax Blu-ray through out imax enhanced 3600h we would get only ‘half’ the imax experience?
Or could Denon push a firmware update to support HDR10+?

IMAX themselves have become less clear as to whether or not they solely support just HDR10+ above and beyond using Dolby Vision. They've basically done away with any requirement for a display manufacturer to include HDR10+ support in order to then attain IMAX Enhanced certification. They also now say they support both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision if asked directly.

You'd just get HDR10 as opposed to HDR10+ if the content includes HDR10+ if the AVR doesn't support it.

You could get around this by using a player that supports HDR10+ that also includes dual HDMI outputs. You'd connect the player's video HDMI output directly to the HDR10+ compliant TV and then connect the player's video output direcly to the AVR. This would rnable yu to still access HD formated audio inclusive of Atmos or DTS:X metadata while simultaneously sending the video to the display.

You could also use eARC to pass the HD audio through a TV to the AVR, but this would require that both the TV and the AVR be eARC compliant.

IMAX themselves have become less clear as to whether or not they solely support just HDR10+ above and beyond using Dolby Vision. They've basically done away with any requirement for a display manufacturer to include HDR10+ support in order to then attain IMAX Enhanced certification. They also now say they support both HDR10+ and Dolby Vision if asked directly.

I see, very interesting!
Yes, there are of course alternatives with a dual HDMI or even a high definition audio extractor to get HDMI directly to the TV and only the audio stream to the AVR.
Thanks

I've just purchased one of these to run along side my new LG E9. For the life of me I cannot get the TV audio to the receiver via EARC. I have searched through all the forums and seem to have set all the correct setting on both the TV and Receiver. Audio bitstreams to my htpc fine. So frustrating. The receiver doesn't seem to set up the input to select TV audio via the remote button or control wheel even though I keep running through the setup to add it. Hdmi control on etc etc

I've just purchased one of these to run along side my new LG E9. For the life of me I cannot get the TV audio to the receiver via EARC. I have searched through all the forums and seem to have set all the correct setting on both the TV and Receiver. Audio bitstreams to my htpc fine. So frustrating. The receiver doesn't seem to set up the input to select TV audio via the remote button or control wheel even though I keep running through the setup to add it. Hdmi control on etc etc
Might sound daft but have you tried turning everything off at the wall and turning back on ?

I replaced my Denon AVR-X 4400 with the 3600 today , main reason for doing it was the faulty eARC implementation ,the Sky Q issue (having to reboot the Sky box almost daily ) and other little niggles .
I must admit to being slightly apprehensive about (Downgrading ), however I needn't have worried ,as it actually sounds better than the 4400 !!
The eARC issues have gone and so far the Sky Q is working fine :), so all in all im very happy

HI, fellow X3600 owners has anybody successfully connected a firestick4k into the back of the AMP with the HDMI format set to enhanced and got a picture?

Cheers

Yes no problem
Interesting mine will only work if the Amp HDMI ports are in standard mode (the mode the amp is in by default when shipped). I get no picture when enhanced mode is selected. In standard mode Netflix tops out at 1080p. So have had to plug the firestorm into the TV and use Arc for the audio.

Interesting mine will only work if the Amp HDMI ports are in standard mode (the mode the amp is in by default when shipped). I get no picture when enhanced mode is selected. In standard mode Netflix tops out at 1080p. So have had to plug the firestorm into the TV and use Arc for the audio.
I have fire stick 4K in I think cd port and amp is set to enhanced and have no problem with 4K from prime video

I replaced my Denon AVR-X 4400 with the 3600 today , main reason for doing it was the faulty eARC implementation ,the Sky Q issue (having to reboot the Sky box almost daily ) and other little niggles .
I must admit to being slightly apprehensive about (Downgrading ), however I needn't have worried ,as it actually sounds better than the 4400 !!
The eARC issues have gone and so far the Sky Q is working fine :), so all in all im very happy

The Sky issue isn't related to a specific amp. We have it all the time with a Marantz AVR. It's a problem with Sky Q boxes which Sky need to sort out ASAP but don't seem to be interested.

The Sky issue isn't related to a specific amp. We have it all the time with a Marantz AVR. It's a problem with Sky Q boxes which Sky need to sort out ASAP but don't seem to be interested.
I would say its specific to Denon/Marantz and Sky Q , but yes totally agree Sky really need to get it sorted

Just realized we have two 3600h threads. How strange?

Anyway I will post my question here as well in case anybody has run into same problem and have a solution:

I played first 4k disc thorough this AVR and I had HDR in the disc menu but not when started playing content. I had to go to setup of the AVR and change (in 4k options) signal to standard for HDR to show. After shutting down BD and powering again same thing so to get HDR in content I had to switch again this time back to enhanced in 4k signal setup options (only two options available) of AVR... BD player is Panasonic ub820 but the problem seems to be with AVR. Anybody had problem like it? It looks like I have to cycle this setting each time I restart BD. The disc is Blue planet 2

How's it going with the skyq issue? I've got the old denon x2200 and it's a bit of a lottery in terms of having to reset sky q.

Well, I don't know about the x3600, but my x4500 and my mates x3500 both have issues with sky (randomly) when trying to turn sky on.

It won't recognise the source or play anything. I have to unplug the sky box and plug back in to get it to work!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom