Denon AVR-X3600H and HEOS Question

Skoot

Novice Member
I have just bought a Denon AVR-X3600H and a pair of HEOS 1 speakers.

I also have a B&W Soundbar but that's all I have right now.

I was planning to use the soundbar as a center speaker and have the HEOS speakers running
wirelessly.

I have been trying for 3 days to do this with no success.

The instructions I have seen haven't been very clear .

The speakers do work ok as I have been able to use them to listen to the radio on Tune-In.

I can link my MacBook to the AVR but I can't get the AVR to work the speakers over the
wireless connection.

Has any one been able to do this or if any one can give me some pointers it would be
very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Skoot

dante01

Distinguished Member
You cannot use the soundbar as a centre speaker unless it is a passive soundbar?

An active soundbar is an alternative to an AV receiver and speakers as opposed to being something you use in conjunction with an AV receiver.

You'd need to use the HEOS app to fascilitate conveying audio to your HEOS speakers from the AV receiver. THe receiver has no ability to incorporate the HEOS speakers into the main room speaker layout. THe HEOS speakers are intended to be used as another zone within your house.

Skoot

Novice Member
You cannot use the soundbar as a centre speaker unless it is a passive soundbar?

An active soundbar is an alternative to an AV receiver and speakers as opposed to being something you use in conjunction with an AV receiver.
Thanks for the reply. I was afraid that would be the case with the soundbar. I might have to get rid of it and get a proper center speaker.

You'd need to use the HEOS app to fascilitate conveying audio to your HEOS speakers from the AV receiver. THe receiver has no ability to incorporate the HEOS speakers into the main room speaker layout. THe HEOS speakers are intended to be used as another zone within your house.
I have the HEOS app and it seems to work ok. However, one instruction manual I saw said that the speakers could be used as back speakers but the instructions didn't match the results I was getting.

Hence the question.

mushii

Distinguished Member
That was a USP of the HEOS AVR but as @dante01 says normal Denon / Marantz AVRs do not support wireless speakers as surrounds (I believe that limiting this feature was part of the settlement with Sonos)

mushii

Distinguished Member
That is because it is for The HEOS AVR (which is a specific product) and not AVR’s equipped with Heos. Denon / Marantz AVRs do not support wireless surrounds.

Skoot

Novice Member
That is because it is for The HEOS AVR (which is a specific product) and not AVR’s equipped with Heos. Denon / Marantz AVRs do not support wireless surrounds.
Dammit. Wish I had known that before I shelled out for two speakers.
Looks like I'll be selling them again.

Thanks for the answer.

Skoot

dante01

Distinguished Member
The only conventional AVR that I know of that does facilitate the use of wireless speakers as surrounds are Yamaha's MusicCast AV receivers. They allow you to use MusicCast speakers as surrounds in a conventional main room setup.

Wireless Surround Speakers
Combine this AV receiver with the MusicCast 50 or MusicCast 20 wireless streaming speaker and enjoy the amazing convenience of creating a home theatre with wireless rear speakers. What’s more, you get stunningly realistic sound with a clean, clutter-free setup. Easily turn your current living room into a special entertainment environment where you can fully enjoy movies and music.
free-and-easy-placement-2_d485_v485_s602_v585_v685_800x448_d598a495dbc5e0867ee952be54afa734.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom