Denon AVR-X3600h Owner's Thread

I’ve tried all sources, even Blu-ray avengers end game still no Dolby Atmos 😔

I may be wrong but does'nt the standard blu-ray of avengers endgame only contain a DTS-HD 7.1 track and you actually need the 4K UHD Blu-ray version for Atmos

I may be wrong but does'nt the standard blu-ray of avengers endgame only contain a DTS-HD 7.1 track and you actually need the 4K UHD Blu-ray version for Atmos

Yes and only the UHD disc includes Atmos:

My error on the Blu-ray through it said Dolby Atmos and actually said Dolby audio 😳 thanks for the info on Disney and Netflix wich explains the lack of Atmo. As for the Blu-ray i setIt to decode bitstream to Dolby versus undecoded bitstream. I put transformers last night onI now have Atmos via the Blu-ray 😃 thanks for the help 👏👏👏👍

Quick select invokes a configuration of the AV receiver associated with the Quick Select option you choose. If the option you choose had Audyssey disengaged then Audyssey will disengage when you select and invoke that particular Quick Select option.

If you don't wish that particular Quick Select option to turn Audyssey off, select the Quick Select option and let the AV receiver set itself to that option. Now go into the Audyssey settings anf turn Audyssey on. Once set the way you'd want the receiver to be set, save the configuration to the Quick SElect option. The new configuration will replace the prexisting configuration and should now set Audyssey as being on when invoked.

The Quick Select configurations are all user definable and all the prexisting configurations can be reconfigured.
Thanks for this. Despite reading the manual and extensive searching, this is actually the clearest information on how to use the quick select buttons!

I actually like to use Dynamic Eq and to use it in different ways.
I've found I prefer it on and set to 0db for Blurays and 10db for TV (including Netflix and Prime, probably due to the compression they employ) and also for 2 channel music in Stereo option. I never listen at reference level and so I definitely notice a difference with the EQ on.

I'm hoping I can set three of the Quick Select buttons to TV AUDIO to Eq on at 10db, HEOS in Stereo to 10db and the XBOX input (Blurays and games) to 0db.
Is this possible or am I stuck with only changing the perimeters for what Inputs they are already set to?

My goodness, having spent some time "tweaking" and playing with the settings, this amp and system does sound VERY good!
Got this amp, speakers are DALI ZENSOR 1 for front and rear and the DALI VOKAL for the centre with the BK ELEC MONOLITH for sub duties.
The TV is the LG C6 4k. Sources are bluray, 4kuhd discs, UHD Netflix, Prime and Disney Channel.
Music is mostly Spotify, which even this sounds good! It's compressed, streamed and 320Kbs at 44.1khz and even this sounds good! I've actually been enjoying just listening to music! But movies is where this really shines. I am honestly blown away, it has gone from very good to excellent!

So if you would like a real answer, which is better in my opinion, you would have to wait until I compare them in my system back to back on same HDR 10 / DV / BD discs at the same time (It just happens I have 2x matrix UHD / DV discs so I can do that with simple source switch on TV :) without the need to change discs between players etc.)
Have you had a chance to do this testing yet?

Have you had a chance to do this testing yet?

I have it at home for some time now but as I have received 4500h at the same time I have focused on it for the moment. In next 4-5 days I will be able to get to it and I will let you know.

Very strange - for some reason my remote is behaving erratically - doesnt appear to be anything to do with the remote, as I have changed the battery, and my logitech harmony remote is doing the same thing. The remote for my old denon receiver which also worked is showing the same thing as well.
Sometimes I have better luck when I stick the remote very close to the IR sensor.

Very strange - for some reason my remote is behaving erratically - doesnt appear to be anything to do with the remote, as I have changed the battery, and my logitech harmony remote is doing the same thing. The remote for my old denon receiver which also worked is showing the same thing as well.
Sometimes I have better luck when I stick the remote very close to the IR sensor.

Have you changed the lighting in the room in question or are you using new lamps or light fittings? Are there other remotes in use that may be causing interference?

Just got this Amp. My first Atmos set up. Enjoying it so far.

The annoyance I have is that the front of amp 'Status' button is not replicated on the remote or in the app. I know you can see some info about input signal etc via the AV HDMI output display and the 'Info' button. This does not give the same amount of detail as the Status button does, like frequencies etc.

Annoying to have to go and sit in front of the amp to get this info for verification during component setup. That is unless I am missing something?

Just found the 'AVR Info' section in the help area on the current ver of the app. Give all the same info. Live and learn. Not quite as good as a remote button to quickly get the info on the amps main screen.

Last edited:
That'll do 😆

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200530-213329_MultEQ.png
    Screenshot_20200530-213329_MultEQ.png
    132.4 KB · Views: 140
Hi folks!

I just set up my new denon x3600h receiver, I have the jamo s426 set working as surround, height front and center speakers and some self-built full range speakers as front (4ohms). I havr no sub as with my previous onkyo sr508 the custom front speakers gave more than enough bass.
So I executed the calibration and had some weird results, the surround speakers were set way to loud
, I couldn't even here my fronts anymore.. So I lowered these and started experimenting with the settings.
My impression is that I get a sound that is a lot clearer, (maybe to clear even), but my bassresponsr is a lot less than my cheap onkyo, for example the kickdrum is not punchy at all..
Anyone have any advice here since my cheap onkyo had a much punchier kick drum...

Br
Hans

Hi folks!

I just set up my new denon x3600h receiver, I have the jamo s426 set working as surround, height front and center speakers and some self-built full range speakers as front (4ohms). I havr no sub as with my previous onkyo sr508 the custom front speakers gave more than enough bass.
So I executed the calibration and had some weird results, the surround speakers were set way to loud
, I couldn't even here my fronts

Buy a subwoofer. For action movies handle the bass far better than your main speakers. They're not full range speakers.

For music sure they're fine, but if you're into action movies get a sub ASAP.

Both music and movies, the 300euro 10year old onkyo handles them fine.. See attach for the fronts (the sub, woofer and tweeter are combined in one box though). For some reason I can't attach files? Front consist of 3 SEAS speakers: Ca21 rex4x (30-150hz subwoofer), 11f-gx, and h398..

Last edited:
Hi all, with the new models announced I'm hoping to pick up a 3600 for a discounted price in the near future.

I've been reading about the 3600 and found a few posts discussing problems trying to switch off "centre spread" when upmixing to Dolby Surround.

Can anyone confirm that it's possible to switch it off?
I just want the centre channel to be exactly where it should be - centre speaker only.

Thanks in advance.

Hi all, with the new models announced I'm hoping to pick up a 3600 for a discounted price in the near future.

Me too but looks like the x3600h is out of stock at PT and Richersounds. Maybe not that many left for big discounts.

So if the x3600h is out of stock how does the x4500h compare?

Advantage:
  • AL32 Processing
  • 2 Line display (I do like the big display on my 1909)
  • More control buttons on front.
  • Still has eARC via update?
  • More amp power (not that I need it)
  • Auro 3D (not sure how is different from Atmos & Dolby Height Virtualization)

Disadvantage:
  • No Bluetooth transmission (only Bluetooth 3)
  • No Amazon Prime Music?
  • No Dolby Height Virtualisation
  • No IMAX Enhanced
  • Not HDCP 2.3? (Not sure what that looses if it still supports eARC?)
  • Worse remote layout (I use Logitech harmony anyhow)
  • Costs more
Anything else, is the GUI, audyssey etc all basically the same?

Last edited:
Read that Dolby surround won't work on stereo, so does that can't expand cd pcm to 7.1 using music logic type expansion? What about old movies that are in stereo from dvd?

If this is true ..

Read that Dolby surround won't work on stereo, so does that can't expand cd pcm to 7.1 using music logic type expansion? What about old movies that are in stereo from dvd?

If this is true ..
I've just tried a CD into my X6500. All surround parameters are available.

I only tried multi channel from PCM for you. I would never play stereo music through any Denon receiver, simply not good enough.

Can expand stereo to 11.2 on Denon, also can you adjust center as above that link? Ie on Lexicon their are two modes logic 7 music and logic 7 music surround. It feels.logix 7 music surround has the center reproducing less, so not trying to hard in expanding the mix, majority of the stereo is from mains with not so much in center. Logic 7 music has more pronounced center reproducing, closer to discrete 5.1

Also using my Yamaha, default mode doesn't seem to work as easily as the lexicon, changed back to sbox input and was in pro logic movie mode, when should have been straight. So much simpler on the lexicon, l7 film and l7 music

Seems center spread feature removed on 2020 denons

evening ,
looking for advice ,just moved from a pioneer lx73 to the 3600 ,

had a couple issues with sound , even though sources are through the receiver ,
seemed it switched the sound to tv panasonic gt50gt , and trying to turn the tv's veria tools setting ,would only let me select tv speakers even though the video was being outputted via hdmi 2 ,

also running the auto setup took three to four attempts with different results before i managed to get the 3 main listening position saved , wanted to to do the others but thought i'd never get through the process !

its happened 3 times now ,and yesterday i changed the cable seems to back to normal ,anyone had this issue ?
did have a read through , mind went to mush when bench testing went a bit mad ,but didn't see any others mentioning this ,

i've attached a spec sheet for some Bose speakers i acquired, £0
mean to use them for atmos ,setting these to 8 ohms ,
the receiver should be able to power them ?
and if it does i could go to 4 on a 5.1? or would it better to go 7.1.2, extras would be ceiling speakers , but don't really want the whole ceiling to look like a speaker grill ... ,

and any opinions on speakers for the receiver, using kef 5001 atm ,perfect size for the rears ,
and have been happy with them ,new dosen't always mean better on sound but got intrigued by atmos
the pioneer seemed to give more detail in the rears where as the denon seems to give everything mainly front only,

hopefully it makes sense and in the right thread
tia

Attachments

• tds_fs_ds_16f_loudspeaker.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 32
Hi I'm new on here but was hoping for some advice in regards to the X3600. I've just bought an x3300 off here although I'm yet to receive it hear one, but I'm wondering if there is any major upgrade in sound quality from this to the x3500 and then the X3600?

I'm also wondering if the x4 series amps have a more refined sound? and does the X3600 have this sound with it having similarities to the X4500 ie build, heat sink and dacs (I read on a thread here that they may have the same dac)

I'm a newbie on here and not the most knowledgeable on these amps so please correct me if I'm wrong about anything, your advice will be much appreciated

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom