Denon AVR-X3600h Owner's Thread

redjeep0

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I watched Gene's glowing review of the Denon 3600 for a 7.2.4 receiver in this price range on YouTube and then started reading on here and purchased one. Amazon dropped the MSRP $1099 prices down to the $800 range around Black Friday/early December so I jumped on the purchase. My home theater is still under construction at this time (Jan 2020), so I haven't taken it out of the box and don't have a question about the receiver, but I wanted to create a thread on here for future use. I see a few mentions of this receiver so far in the forums. Also, my most pressing concern right now is finding a quality 2 channel amp to drive the fronts that won't break the bank.

Looking forward to sharing with you guys,

Rich

Yeah! New Denon AVR owner reporting, with my X3600H! Got it after selling off my entry level onkyo tx-sr393. Spotify and XT32 rocks! Guess I may never leave my sofa from now on lol.

Thanks for linking that thread. I searched for an Owner's thread before creating this one and couldn't find it. If the forum mods think these are two similar, please close mine.
This is the first '3600 owners' thread and shall remain so and it should grow as more owners post on it. The review and the discussion that follows is somewhat different. Most receivers have an owners and review threads running.

So I upgraded to the x3600 from Denon 1610. Still using my old HK 7 5.1 speakers, but at the end of the month those will be upgraded to KEF Q550s for LR and KEF 250c ( Was going to get the Q350s, but swmbo decided she likes the look of the Q550s more). Then Q150s for surrounds and then think I'll give Q50s a go for Atmos.

Another new Denon upgrade here. Went from the avr 1610 to the x3600 and the whole sound has just opened up. Using it with Cambridge Audio minx 22 surrounds and Monitor Audio 225 as Centre for now. Running Oppo 203 with LG OLED B6 65V and BK XXLS400 Sub. Its been film night pretty much each night since!

I’ve moved from an anthem MRX510 to the 3600 so I can have 4K and atmos on my nvidia shield and Xbox. Atmos doesn’t work on Xbox which was a large part of the reason for buying which is disappointing. However after doing some reading up apparently it is because denon have upgraded their atmos version and Microsoft haven’t. Hopefully Microsoft will do that at some point. I’ve read about people complaining about this since August. I’ve copy and pasted Denon’s response to an enquiry that I found elsewhere below.

"Dolby Atmos version is changed from “Dolby Harmony 1.3” to “Dolby Home Audio 1.6” via U21 Update. The Dolby Home Audio 1.6 includes the “Dolby MAT signaling” feature that detecting the channel based PCM signal contained into the Dolby MAT Container. And, major player which contains the PCM signal into Dolby MAT container is only XBOX One S and XBOX One X, currently. With new Dolby Atmos version 1.6, specific processing of source (XBOX) is needed. This is now the problem: Xbox did not implement this processing yet:"

Last edited:
You can rollback the firmware on the 3600. It’s a combination of button presses on the front panel and it works to get Atmos working as I’ve done it. There’s a thread in the XBox forum that tells you the buttons to press but make sure you back up your setting first on a USB stick cos guess what :facepalm:

You can rollback the firmware on the 3600. It’s a combination of button presses on the front panel and it works to get Atmos working as I’ve done it. There’s a thread in the XBox forum that tells you the buttons to press but make sure you back up your setting first on a USB stick cos guess what :facepalm:
I’m in the same boat and I’ve got my Atmos speakers coming this afternoon.
Do you know the firmware version that support Dolby Harmony 1.3 so I’m getting the right one. I have had my AVR 4 days and I’m thinking if the latest firmware was installed at the factory then I’ll need to download the older version.

This is the version that I rolled back to. The one before the BT headphone feature was added. Atmos now works on my XBox One X whereas it didn’t before

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 358
I can’t find out how to roll back the avr to factory firmware, there seems to be nothing online about it, secondly I can’t find any previous firmwares online either.

I'm currently using... 2000-1024-2104-0025.

Thanks, I’ll give it a go later. I am just installing my front heights speakers and hiding the wires in the wall.

You’ll need to re calibrate anyway so you’ll get away with not saving your settings

Out of interest did the new firmware just add Bluetooth headphones and change the atmos settings? I don’t use Bluetooth headphones so rolling back will be no hardship. If atmos still sounds the same on both then not really a big deal at all to have the older one.

Out of interest did the new firmware just add Bluetooth headphones and change the atmos settings? I don’t use Bluetooth headphones so rolling back will be no hardship. If atmos still sounds the same on both then not really a big deal at all to have the older one.
That's what it says if you go to upload it yes that's what it says it does.

Well I’ve just rolled back the firmware. Unfortunately atmos still not working for Xbox. Only just bought the denon though so it must be shipping with the new firmware.

E9CC18D1-0DE4-4859-9400-15EEF251A6E2.jpeg

Well I’ve just rolled back the firmware. Unfortunately atmos still not working for Xbox. Only just bought the denon though so it must be shipping with the new firmware.
I was just about to write the exact same thing. After installing my front heights, rolling back the firmware and recalibrating the avr I tried to play Atmos material through the Xbox and no luck, absolutely sick now.
The firmware it rolled back to is 2000-9150-9131-0025.
How can I get hold of version 2400-4280-9141-5005 for Atmos?

I’m going to turn auto update back on on the denon and then just going to wait til the Dolby app is updated on the Xbox side before having Xbox atmos. To be fair pcm with neural x upmixer sounds good anyway so I’m not too upset. I still have atmos with films so it’s not too bad.

The XBox does play discs with Atmos I’m led to believe. It’s the stuff that relies on the Atmos app it can’t play like games and streaming services.
Providing you have it set to allow the AVR to decode tracks on discs that is

The XBox does play discs with Atmos I’m led to believe. It’s the stuff that relies on the Atmos app it can’t play like games and streaming services.
Providing you have it set to allow the AVR to decode tracks on discs that is
It’s not playing my 4K discs in Atmos.

I’m going to turn auto update back on on the denon and then just going to wait til the Dolby app is updated on the Xbox side before having Xbox atmos. To be fair pcm with neural x upmixer sounds good anyway so I’m not too upset. I still have atmos with films so it’s not too bad.
You could be waiting quiet a while, I’m going to call Denon on Monday to see if they can link me the firmware location, I’ll let you know how I get on.

Have a look through this thread - Denon AVRX2600H + Xbox One X - Dolby Atmos Settings - to see if there’s anything you’ve missed. Defo worked with 4K discs for me on the BT HP FW but nothing else.
Now works as it should but as usual with the XBox it outputs everything as Atmos - not just Atmos tracks .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom