Denon AVR-X4300H Owners Thread

Hi Roon1

I've managed to get the HEOS speaker to group with the receiver in the HEOS app (you should be able to see both the receiver and HEOS 1 speaker in the 'rooms' list, simply pinch zoom them together as if you were zooming out on a photo to multi-room them), however, I am having issues with the synchronisation between the two devices. As mentioned earlier in this post, I am speaking with Denon support to try to resolve. However, it is not looking promising as Denon say that there is no way the zone 1 on the receiver will ever be in synchrnoisation with a HEOS speaker (30ms to 90ms delay), no matter what is done. When you get your two devices working a multi-room set up, please let me know if they are in sync. I feel the only way to get Denon to take more notice is to be more vocal about the issue. The more people the better! As for the rest of the amp, so far I really like it, though yet to chase the wires for my rear or ceiling speakers and not had time to run a temporary system either so yet to experience the full-fat version of the amp. How are you getting on?

Ok, I've tried utube thru the tv speakers & it all works fine. It seems the problem lies when playing thru the amp. Hhhhhhmmmmmm. On the amp is the audio delay variable both ways, i.e. advance & retard ? I can only get settings making the issue worse.
I believe it is just a delay... At least you know your TV and youtube app are working correctly (some consolation!).

So, if you're watching youtube on the TV, the picture is native to the TV (not going through the amp), therefore has zero delay relative to the amp. The audio meanwhile, is going through your amp (via HDMI right now) and is experiencing a delay for some reason. The audio return channel should take care of this. Some things you could try;

1. Make sure the audio return channel (ARC) is enabled on the Denon (under settings / video / HDMI set up I think).
2. Make sure the ARC is enabled on your TV. You have helpfully told us your TV model and looking at the on line manual...
  • When connecting a BRAVIA Sync-compatible digital audio system with Audio Return Channel (ARC) technology, connect to the HDMI IN 4 jack (socket) with an HDMI cable (the HDMI IN 4 jack (socket) carries the “ARC” mark). However, if connecting a system that is not BRAVIA Sync-compatible or Audio Return Channel capable, an additional audio connection via DIGITAL AUDIO OUT (OPTICAL) is necessary
So, try connecting from HDMI port 4 on your TV to the amp.
If not then...

3. Connect the audio from the TV to the amp via another means when watching native TV (i.e. optical connection instead of HDMI). Don't forget to reassign the different audio input on the amp for the input you use for the TV.

Good luck!

Hi Davie G,

That's interesting, I can see my HEOS speaker and my 4300 in the app and have been pinching together. It says it is grouping and then comes back with a message a few seconds later saying 'Unable to Group'.

I can get music through one or the other via wi-fi or bluetooth but its as if they are independent set ups! The app sees both but will not group. Both are on the same network and i have disabled the 'smart' element on the Home Hub 6 as i was led to believe by the store this may cause a problem.

The only thing left to do is re-network the Denon amp in case this is the cause of the problem. Bloody annoying this as this stuff should be plug n go. Never seen anything quite so awkward as this for a while. If they are are going to take Sonos on at their own game they need to sort this out as all the Sonos systems I know work easily, reliably and flawlessly. I am not a technical dimwit but feel like one here, the amp network reset is the only thing left to try, have hard and soft reset the HEOS 1 to no avail already and tried every config I can think of.

Everything else seems perfect and soon as I can get this sorted I can give more time to listening to and watching my new set up. Wasting hours here!

Thanks,

Hi Roon1

I agree, if they are going to try and take on Sonos then it needs to be easier than it is (and in sync!).

Sounds like you have tried a lot of the logical things (certainly no dimwit!) so can't add anything else to the party. I guess I lucked out, my set up 'grouped' first time I tried it. It means if you want me to look at any settings to compare yours too, just ask (I'll get back as soon as I can).

I found the Denon support reasonable if you've not yet tried that route?

Also, what is the 'smart' element that you mention in your hub?

The smart bit is a smart set up function that all HH's have but it is not so smart and breaks a few set ups.

Just pinched from a Sonos thread that 2.4 ghz and 5ghz wi-fi is best separated as mine switches between one or the other depending on signal and range. This did cause Sonos a problem so HEOS too most likely. Will split my networks and sign them both up to the 5ghz only (at present i do not see what band they are on as it can change), although you think this work not make any difference as same network. Then they are on the same net wet and wi-fi band. I might be onto something here will let you know.

Thanks,

3. Connect the audio from the TV to the amp via another means when watching native TV (i.e. optical connection instead of HDMI). Don't forget to reassign the different audio input on the amp for the input you use for the TV.
Thanks for all your suggestions .
Loads of questions now, I did warn you I'm a complete novice ! If I connect via optical lead will it restrict, quality wise on the audio ? Also you mention reassigning the input. I'm not really sure how to do that.

What I'm going to do is ask in another post in the amp section if anyone can recommend a company to come to my house and give me a demo.

Thanks for all your suggestions .
Loads of questions now, I did warn you I'm a complete novice ! If I connect via optical lead will it restrict, quality wise on the audio ? Also you mention reassigning the input. I'm not really sure how to do that..

Connecting via an optical lead (often called a SPDIF, no idea what that stands for!) won't loose you any quality as it's still a digital signal, just send via an optical cable instead of HDMI.
Connection like this
Connection 2 : TV equipped with an HDMI connector and incompatible with the ARC (Audio Return Channel) AVR-X4300H

As for reassigning the audio input, it's explained here, though the default looks like the TV input will look at the opt1 for audio:
Input Assign AVR-X4300H

However, I'd try and get the audio return channel working first through the HDMI. It's part of the function of the HDMI and should just happen in the background and get things synchronised, as long as you've activated it and used compatible HDMI ports.

This is now £999 from Richer Sounds including a HEOS 1 HS2 speaker. It's now fallen into my price bracket at a stretch, so I'm considering it alongside a Yamaha 1060/3050 and Marantz 7010 which I can get for the same sort of price. Never heard one though, and conscious people describe the Denon as a "warm" sounding amp. Is everyone who bought one happy with it so far?

Last edited:
Anyone know what I'm doing wrong ? So far we've only been watching tv via a bt box or Netflix without any problems. Tried playing a Blu ray today but can't get it to work. It's connected via HDMI to the amp (HDMI 3 - blu ray) Amp to tv via HDMI arc. The amp is not seeing the b/r (no signal) Should it all work automatically? That's what I assumed. Any help, most appreciated- fed up of the Christmas specials already.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong ? So far we've only been watching tv via a bt box or Netflix without any problems. Tried playing a Blu ray today but can't get it to work. It's connected via HDMI to the amp (HDMI 3 - blu ray) Amp to tv via HDMI arc. The amp is not seeing the b/r (no signal) Should it all work automatically? That's what I assumed. Any help, most appreciated- fed up of the Christmas specials already.

Is there a sound output option in BluRay player options? Might need setting away from Digital Coax or Oprical to HDMI?

The smart bit is a smart set up function that all HH's have but it is not so smart and breaks a few set ups.

Just pinched from a Sonos thread that 2.4 ghz and 5ghz wi-fi is best separated as mine switches between one or the other depending on signal and range. This did cause Sonos a problem so HEOS too most likely. Will split my networks and sign them both up to the 5ghz only (at present i do not see what band they are on as it can change), although you think this work not make any difference as same network. Then they are on the same net wet and wi-fi band. I might be onto something here will let you know.

Thanks,

Apologies I have still not had a chance to do this an report back but will do as soon as complete

This is now £999 from Richer Sounds including a HEOS 1 HS2 speaker. It's now fallen into my price bracket at a stretch, so I'm considering it alongside a Yamaha 1060/3050 and Marantz 7010 which I can get for the same sort of price. Never heard one though, and conscious people describe the Denon as a "warm" sounding amp. Is everyone who bought one happy with it so far?

I have come from a Onkyo NR818 and and very happy with the sound and power. It is currently driving a 7.2 set up and sounds great here! I am having some others challenges with HEOS and will sum up my experience fully later.

Well I have been running with the 4300H for a couple of weeks now so thought I would share my feedback. Sorry I have been unable to assist thus far to others queries but (still) do not know intimately this receiver yet.

Set up was easy. Linked it up to the DX902b and the UB900 no real problems there.

It sounds great maybe a little less powerful than the Onk 818 it replaced but that never got anywhere near maxed out in terms of power. Warmer? Yes but only slightly, still like it, its driving B&W 685's and 686's, two ASW 610's in 7.2.

Note despite the/my lack of the newer speaker set ups, Atmos and the like, I am getting very good sound, effects and separation still when watching Atmos and and DTS X soundtrack movies. It still works very well in 7.2 but not as well I should imagine as if I had over head speakers etc.

So far all seems 'compatible' with pass-through, 4K and HDR all working when they should be! I am having a couple of minor niggles that may not be the AVR and will detail that shortly.

The amp seems well built and good quality and is slightly smaller and lighter than my old Onk.

For those that have read earlier threads I am having some issue with the HEOS speaker set up and grouping and will cover that separately when I get to sorting out what may be the issue.

For info only i have noticed the following but may be related to sources rather than the Denon but as I said I am still playing.

1. I am having some occasional stuttering almost like frame skipping when playing Ghostbusters 4K bluray from the UB900 through the AVR. Some other UB900 owners are having this too so I do not think the Denon is causing this issue.

2. On my old amp when I powered on a source it switched to that source to view it automatically. Sky, PS4 etc. This does not, all HDMI controls and Viera links are on, have not managed to suss out what that could be yet but I think it is at the AMP settings end.

3. When I tried to adjust he center speaker volume whist watching a Bluray it turned off the Bluray player, may need to adjust the Viera link settings on the 900.

All in all I am very happy with my purchase so far and glad I went with the 4300 over the 6300 given the saving and the current set up I have.

I will update you if and when I sort out the few issues I have, that are likely settings issues and not related to the Denon anyway.

Thanks,

Hi Guys, I'm sure this is a standard issue but being a newbie to home theatre systems I'm struggling to find a solution (this is actually my first proper system AVR-X4300H + 5.1 MT60D B&W.

The issue is with dialog from the centre speaker (5.1). Sometimes it comes though fine, sometimes it is muffled and other times you can't hear it at all due to the surround speakers drowning it out.

I think it was fine when i first set up and switched it on, then the issues started after i used the audyssey set up with the mic. Although i'm not too sure.

I did try and adjust the db's level settings for the centre which did work intermittently.

I presume it is because of the different inputs of audio being broadcast (although it happens on blurays too) as to how the amp distributes the sound around the speakers but its winding me up, especially as i'm trying to show it off to friends and end up fiddling about with the settings :p

At present the only two inputs are a sky hd receiver and a PS4, both connected via hdmi.

Is it just a simple settings change depending on the input audio or something else?

I would check your center speaker connections and re run Audyssey again. I occasionally tweak up my center speaker depending on if the source was poorly mixed but is never muffled.

Have you made any adjustment to the Denon Dialogue enhancer? I think this just varies the center speaker volume but check that.

Also check what formats you are listening to Dolby Surround, Mono, DTS etc, is the same across all audio formats? Cycle through those using the coloured keys at the bottom of the remote?

Thanks for posting so quickly Roon1 :thumbsup:

I will give the Audyssey set up another go tonight, i did check the wiring and made sure its was def + to + and connected ok, but the fact that it sometimes worked lead me to believe it was a setup issue. (However, it did sound like a dodgy connection once as it flicked between normal and low sound from the centre without any setting change!)

I will check the enhancer and see what happens, i did make adjustments to the formats with the coloured keys, but was watching the dark knight on sky last night (truck scene) and had no dialog and that was broadcast in dolby digital so you would have presumed that the dolby surround setting would have been fine but it wasn't.

I'll have a play tonight and report back.

I picked up a 4300 on Tuesday from Al at Ideal AV, and I'm absolutely delighted with it. It replaces a Denon 3806 so I was ready for an upgrade, both in terms of connectivity and newer formats.

Previously I was using my Blu Ray player to decode as the 3806 didn't have the necessary codecs, and the transformation is astonishing. I was looking to upgrade my speakers next, but I'm tempted to just add some ceiling speakers for Atmos for now and upgrading the video side to 4K instead when funds allow.

It might be placebo, but I'm convinced that the image is better too, it certainly seems sharper, but I don't know whether this is down to the 4300 or a weakness in the 3806. Either way I'm not complaining.

Out of interest, what audio volume number are you using ? We're on around 60 for general tv & nearer 70 for Netflix & Blu Ray.

Out of interest, what audio volume number are you using ? We're on around 60 for general tv & nearer 70 for Netflix & Blu Ray.

I am about the same with dynamic volume off. Can knock 15 ish off of that give or take with it on. I am trying to get used to having it off and having to use higher volume settings as a result but sound is uncompressed I believe. I think it sounds better but you do need to use more volume.

You can always adjust the source volumes to tweak source volumes up if you needed more volume for the same 'number' setting.

Still having my centre speaker dialog issues where for a short time it works fine then the dialog volume just randomly drops, and manually increasing the Db level of the speaker separately does nothing and neither does turning on/off the dialog enhancer.

I re-ran the audyssey setup which seemed to cure the problem. However it has started again with no pattern. I also changed the speaker cable and checked all connections but the fact that today I watched pete's dragon on blu via my PS4 without issue but tonight to test I tried the same film but the dialog was again inaudibley low.

For example, I was watching Sherlock tonight via sky hd box connected via hdmi and it was fine for about 3 minutes, then dropped during a conversation so it's not as if it's adjusting for FX or anything.

Can anyone help or have any advice for things to try?

Still having my centre speaker dialog issues where for a short time it works fine then the dialog volume just randomly drops, and manually increasing the Db level of the speaker separately does nothing and neither does turning on/off the dialog enhancer.

I re-ran the audyssey setup which seemed to cure the problem. However it has started again with no pattern. I also changed the speaker cable and checked all connections but the fact that today I watched pete's dragon on blu via my PS4 without issue but tonight to test I tried the same film but the dialog was again inaudibley low.

For example, I was watching Sherlock tonight via sky hd box connected via hdmi and it was fine for about 3 minutes, then dropped during a conversation so it's not as if it's adjusting for FX or anything.

Can anyone help or have any advice for things to try?

The only thing I can think of is to change the hdmi lead from the Denon to the TV. Could be faulty, start with that one as it happens across multiple sources and makesure it's correct spec hdmi 2.0 etc

The only thing I can think of is to change the hdmi lead from the Denon to the TV. Could be faulty, start with that one as it happens across multiple sources and makesure it's correct spec hdmi 2.0 etc

Sorry scrap that does not make sense actually. Try the hdmi tothe avr from sources and is sky input hdmi or optical?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom