Denon AVR-X4300H Owners Thread

Thanks dante01, this does resolve the problem and could confuse the wife, but I'll risk it for a few days and see how we adapt to it. To be honest, now that we get Netflix via the Sky box, although I think the LG TV is slightly better quality wise, we hardly ever select the TV as a source, so this is perfect. Thanks.

If your LG TV dates from 2017 onward then you can get Atmos audio in association with Netflix content encoded with it via ARC. SKY boxes do not facilitate Atmos in association with Netflix. There is therefore an advantafe to accessing Netflix via the TV as opposed to via the SKY STB. PLus the fact that you'd not get HDR via the SKY STB either.

Last edited:
I'm interested in a 4300 (if I can still find one) but having read through the Owner's Manual I cannot find the answer to a question, so hope someone here can help.

When running it in 11.1 with a separate (2 channel) power amp, can I assign that amp to the Front channels?

This would seem to me to be the most obvious use of an additional amp, but there is no mention of this made in the manual. The references to 11.1 that I can find all show an amp being used for Height speakers, or Surround or anything except the Front channels. In the actual Amp Assign section of the manual it just says the choice of which Pre-Out Channels to use for an external amp depend on other settings, with no further explanation of how they all interact. Pretty hopeless manual IMO.

I did read earlier in this thread that someone was doing this, but could anyone possibly confirm 100% that I run a 7.1.4 setup, with the Front channels using an external amp (to obtain the full 11 channel output)?

I'm interested in a 4300 (if I can still find one) but having read through the Owner's Manual I cannot find the answer to a question, so hope someone here can help.

When running it in 11.1 with a separate (2 channel) power amp, can I assign that amp to the Front channels?

This would seem to me to be the most obvious use of an additional amp, but there is no mention of this made in the manual. The references to 11.1 that I can find all show an amp being used for Height speakers, or Surround or anything except the Front channels. In the actual Amp Assign section of the manual it just says the choice of which Pre-Out Channels to use for an external amp depend on other settings, with no further explanation of how they all interact. Pretty hopeless manual IMO.

I did read earlier in this thread that someone was doing this, but could anyone possibly confirm 100% that I run a 7.1.4 setup, with the Front channels using an external amp (to obtain the full 11 channel output)?
Follow this, it should be the same as it is with my X6200:
How to Setup 11 Channel Atmos on Denon AVR-X4400H | 4K Home Theater Reviews

Excellent, thanks. So that shows conclusively that I can do what I want with a 4400. But...

Can anyone confirm this is the same with the 4300?

Not that I have either yet, but I'd like to know for sure about both so then I can search for either AVR.
I can do it with a 6200 and with the 4200 being just a tier below I would think that it would be a feature of the X4XXX series. Why not send off an e-mail to Denon's customer service and ask for confirmation.

so does that mean they fixed playing music from NTFS drives or now drives in this format will no longer work over HEOS?

... Why not send off an e-mail to Denon's customer service and ask for confirmation.
That will be my next step if no-one here can confirm. Always best to start asking in a forum I think as it might be quicker, but also answers provided may help the rest of the forum members rather than just me finding out from the company concerned.

interesting read this.
Im about to setup my Poweramp and wonder if there is a way to tell the amp to set LCR to pre while still in a 5.1 floor plan without height speakers.
Or if there is no speaker attached to the LCR terminal, will it just not power them?

Just connect power amps to the associated pre outs. They'd be live irrespective of whatever other assignmets or configurations you've made and do not need t be activated. You cannot however reassign the receiver's own internal centre channel amplification to be used elsewhere for another purpose.

Thanks @dante01. Is it worth setting the floor plan to 5.1+SB (dont plan to use a SB) as per the video above as this will then give me the option for pre-outs.
I can then set the front LR to be pre's. Just wondering if this will reduce the amps usage.
Basically id prefer to avoid the amp trying to power channels that arent actually connected to a speaker.

Pre outs are always live and active. No, if you are not including back speakers within your setup then do not include them in the assignments and configurations. The receiver would just throw up an error during calibration if unable to detect back speakers and wouldn't then allow you to complete such a calibration.

If you want to use power amps as opposed to the receiver's internal amplification the simply connect the powr amps to the associated pre outs and then the speakers to those amps as opposed to the receiver's speaker terminals.

If a speaker osn't connected to the back termnals then what would be drawing power from the receiver via those terminals? The receive desn't shoot bolts of lightning out of the terminals and the speakers are electrical devices that consume the electricity. No speaker and no consumption of that electricity because you are not poowering anything via the associated terminals.

If you want to use power amps as opposed to the receiver's internal amplification the simply connect the powr amps to the associated pre outs and then the speakers to those amps as opposed to the receiver's speaker terminals.
I know the pre outs are always live and i had planned to just connect them to the PA.
Guess my question was if there was a way tell the AVR that im using a PA so it stops trying to power the channels without speakers attached. Or if there is no speaker attached will the AVR just not try power it?

I know the pre outs are always live and i had planned to just connect them to the PA.
Guess my question was if there was a way tell the AVR that im using a PA so it stops trying to power the channels without speakers attached. Or if there is no speaker attached will the AVR just not try power it?

No, but speakers would not be drawing power from the receiver via the speaker terminals on the receiver. The power amps are driving the speakers, not the amplification onboard the AV receiver.

perfect thank you :)

That will be my next step if no-one here can confirm. Always best to start asking in a forum I think as it might be quicker, but also answers provided may help the rest of the forum members rather than just me finding out from the company concerned.
Let the Forum know the response but I'll be very surprised if you cannot enable the fronts as it such a feature on the higher tier models, certainly from the time of the X6200. You could consider a 6200 in your search for a used receiver as it is real step up from a 4300. I take it you have your eye on a 4300 as they are pretty hard to find on the secondary market.

Ill sell my 4300 and get a 6x series as they seem to be all the rage at the moment.

Let the Forum know the response but I'll be very surprised if you cannot enable the fronts as it such a feature on the higher tier models, certainly from the time of the X6200. You could consider a 6200 in your search for a used receiver as it is real step up from a 4300. I take it you have your eye on a 4300 as they are pretty hard to find on the secondary market.

I'm not stuck on the 4300. I want an 11 channel processor with 9 built-in channels and it must provide Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby Surround and Neural:X. I'm just after the cheapest way to achieve that. Any other suggestions?

I'm not stuck on the 4300. I want an 11 channel processor with 9 built-in channels and it must provide Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby Surround and Neural:X. I'm just after the cheapest way to achieve that. Any other suggestions?

The cheapest 9 channel AV receiver with those attributes that is still available would be the Marantz SR6012. This can be had for about £650. It is last year's model hence the discounted price, but still offers much the same features as you'd get via its replacement.

The cheapest 9 channel AV receiver with those attributes that is still available would be the Marantz SR6012. This can be had for about £650. It is last year's model hence the discounted price, but still offers much the same features as you'd get via its replacement.

To be honest, I'm reconciled to finding a used AVR. What is the difference then between the 60xx series and the 70xx Marantz?

To be honest, I'm reconciled to finding a used AVR. What is the difference then between the 60xx series and the 70xx Marantz?

The main differences would be the power per channel and the inclusion of a 2 line display concealed behind a dropdown panel on the front of the SR7012. THe SR6012 is less powerful and only has the porthole display. The ring around the porthole display onboard the SR7012 can also be confifured to illuminat, but the SR6012 hasn't this feature.

The SR6013 seems to be the currently available one and reading the Owner's Manual reveals it to be very similar to the X4300H. Same wording for most of it. Hardly surprising.

So either the Denon or Marantz would be suitable, but I'm not convinced the Marantz's 'porthole' display wouldn't irritate me in its sparseness. See what comes up I guess.

Thanks for the info though. It all helps make an informed decision.

The SR6013 seems to be the currently available one and reading the Owner's Manual reveals it to be very similar to the X4300H. Same wording for most of it. Hardly surprising.

So either the Denon or Marantz would be suitable, but I'm not convinced the Marantz's 'porthole' display wouldn't irritate me in its sparseness. See what comes up I guess.

Thanks for the info though. It all helps make an informed decision.

Denon and Marantz are owned by the same unbrella company and many models share the same components and tech.

The Marantz SR7011 was basically the same model as the Denon AVRX4300 and the current SR7013 is also the same as the Denon AVRX4500. THe only difference is the inclusion of HDAM circuitry onboard the Marantz models:

Marantz developed its own discrete circuit boards to replace standard IC's. These HDAM's consists of discrete surface mount components with short mirror image L/R signal paths. Those devices are doing exactly the same thing as the Op-Amps, but outperform the regular IC Op-amps dramatically in terms of the Slew Rate and reduced noise level, resulting in a much more dynamic, accurate and detailed sound. Over the years Marantz developed different types of the HDAM to improve quality and to fit to the special requirements of a product category like CD or amplifier.

Many suggest that the Marantz receivers sound better than their comparative Denon models due to the inclusion of HDAM, this is particularly the case relative to musical sources. You also pay a premium for the Marantz models due to Marantz's hifi heritage. There's no comparative Denon model to the SR6012 or 6013 and the SR6012 sat between the Denon AVRX3400 and the DEnon AVRX4400. As said, the AVRX4400 and the SR7012 are basically the same receiver.

Last edited:
Denon and Marantz are owned by the same unbrella company and many models share the same components and tech.

The Marantz SR7011 was basically the same model as the Denon AVRX4300 and the current SR7013 is also the same as the DEnon AVRX4400. THe only difference is the inclusion of HDAM circuitry onboard the Marantz models:

Many suggest that the Marantz receivers sound better than their comparative Denon models due to the inclusion of HDAM, this is particularly the case relative to musical sources. You also pay a premium for the Marantz models due to Marantz's hifi heritage. There's no comparative Denon model to the SR6012 or 6013 and the SR6012 sat between the Denon AVRX3400 and the DEnon AVRX4400. As said, the AVRX4400 and the SR7012 are basically the same receiver.

I should've just asked you first. :) So much useful info. Thanks again.

Old Dante is, unfortunately, an encyclopedia of this stuff. Ridiculously insightful into AVRs and their working. makes the rest of us seem rather dim by comparison lol

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom