Denon AVR-X4300H Owners Thread

Firstly, thanks for the feedback gibes, I've decided to save my pennies and looking to get one of the alternatives (probably the MRX720) as I have a very tricky room environment and I think the superior EQ technology will manage my subs better in particular.

@FifeFlyer Have you looked at the Samsung forums? Your more likely to get some feedback there I would suggest? Handshaking on these might be one of the few niggles people have with them. If you search back on this forum I was given a tip about this which works for the issue I had, it may help you too?

Thanks @kikiso. I did a factory reset and a firmware reset so will see how that goes.

The Samsung community think it`s a anynet+ CEC issue which if I disable, the TV doesn`t recognise the AVR at all.

Proud owner of one these babies and defo a step up from the X2400H I had previously (Currently stuck in protective mode)
Impressed with the power, clarity and sound. Much more beefer than I expected, very Onkyo like is my thinking but more clarity. A clear difference in the way Atmos is delivered is the biggest step forward.

My remote control has developed a fault. I can't activate Zone 2 or Zone 3 using the RC. I can do it from the receiver's front panel or via the phone app, but the buttons on the remote don't go green when you press them. They did work until recently. Has anyone else experienced this and is the only solution a replacement RC? Just to add that everything else seems to function correctly.

My remote control has developed a fault. I can't activate Zone 2 or Zone 3 using the RC. I can do it from the receiver's front panel or via the phone app, but the buttons on the remote don't go green when you press them. They did work until recently. Has anyone else experienced this and is the only solution a replacement RC? Just to add that everything else seems to function correctly.
Try cleaning with some safe electrical fluid such as Eclipse Fluid. They may just be sticking and not making contact. The Eclipse fluid is also very good for cleaning binding posts or anything with electric connections. I'm never without a bottle.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
For the record, and it might help someone in the future, I fixed the issue with the remote. In the manual there is a sequence of key strokes that resets the remote to factory settings. I didn't really think this would work but to my surprise it did! All zones now accessible. Also for anyone looking for another remote, I cold only find a couple of places that do them now, in fact they do the RC1219 as the RC1211 is no longer made. They look identical so not sure what the difference is but one of the outlets is called Dan's Electronics and I ordered a replacement before I discovered the fix. I got an email from Dan's to tell me that the order had been accepted etc and then I fixed my original remote. I called Dan's and explained that I didn't need the replacement anymore, at that point they could have told me that it's too late, the order is being processed, but the very polite guy on the phone said it wasn't a problem, cancelled the order and before I'd even finished the call I got an email from Dan's confirming the cancellation and an email from eBay confirming the refund. This is what I call service and if anyone needs a replacement RC they come highly recommended.

Hey all. Hope someone can help with an irritating problem my 4300 has developed recently.

When playing an Xbox One routed through the 4300 into my JVC projector, I get a light snow shower of flickering pixels over the screen - only on the Xbox. And even curiouser, its only on menu screens - when the games or films or apps themselves start, the snow disappears.

Some housekeeping tests have narrowed this down to the Denon - I've swapped HDMI leads and its the same; I've tried different inputs on the Denon, its the same; I go straight to the projector, bypassing the Denon, and the snow disappears; I've even tried two different Xboxes (both the same - snow) and two different displays (only snow when going through the Denon).

So I've gone into the 4300 menu's and disabled all video scaling, even turned HDMI pass through on and off and nothing works. Even made sure my firmware is up to date - in fact the only thing I haven't tried is a factory rest of the AVR and that's because I've had it calibrated and don't fancy spending hours plugging all the distances, levels and graphic EQ settings back in!!!!

Has anyone else come across this? I'll try and post a picture when I get home tonight but surely there is something that can be done about this?

Isn't there?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Coz,
You seem to have tried everything except the reset. You should be able to save your config on a USB stick so that you can recover your settings after a reset. I purchased the app for IOS a couple of years ago which also allows saving of several configs on my IPAD. Save your setup using either or both techniques then the factory reset. There still seems no reason to me why this would happen from one particular source and no others, but there's obviously something obscure about the Xbox that triggers this.

Hi Coz,
You seem to have tried everything except the reset. You should be able to save your config on a USB stick so that you can recover your settings after a reset. I purchased the app for IOS a couple of years ago which also allows saving of several configs on my IPAD. Save your setup using either or both techniques then the factory reset. There still seems no reason to me why this would happen from one particular source and no others, but there's obviously something obscure about the Xbox that triggers this.
Thanks mate. I think you're right. Off to purchase a USB stick on the way home! Thanks again and I'll keep the thread posted if it works or not.

Hey all. Quick update:

Factory reset performed and still no good - still got the flickering snow.

Although I've done some more playing and the situation gets stranger and stranger...…….

If I connect my Xbox One X through any of the rear HDMI ports, I can now get regular SDR content playing fine but HDR game content has the snow (using these ports, the Xbox One shows that I can get HDR from movies AND games from my display).

However if I connect it through the AVRs front HDMI port, the Xbox One shows that I can only get HDR for movies but NOT games. This means that I get a flicker free experience on all games and movies......but no HDR.

So.…...its definitely HDR on games through the AVR that is the problem. But what I can't work out is that movies are fine - a UHD disc in full HDR plays back perfectly when connected via BOTH the front and rear HDMI ports......but I can't get HDR for games from this front HDMI. And yet when connected to the rear ports, HDR games get the snow, but HDR movies don't. It's freaking nuts and doing my tree in!

I'm completely at a loss to explain this. And yes, bypassing the AVR works perfectly on both so its not the cables.

Has anyone got an Xbox One X to work with HDR gaming going via this AVR? Is my only solution to bypass the AVR for picture? This isn't ideal either as I have routed cabling to the projector which means I'm gonna have dangling, untidy cables......…...

Help me Obi Wan's, you're my only hope.........

Coz, Have you searched the XBOX ONE forums? I found something posted by Claff and responded to by Alex Kalopsia which wasn't exactly the same as you're seeing but Alex fixed his problem by using very short HDMI cables. It's not clear what AVR was having issues, but handshaking blamed... Onkyo receiver causing Xbox One S disconnect and white flashes

Coz, Have you searched the XBOX ONE forums? I found something posted by Claff and responded to by Alex Kalopsia which wasn't exactly the same as you're seeing but Alex fixed his problem by using very short HDMI cables. It's not clear what AVR was having issues, but handshaking blamed... Onkyo receiver causing Xbox One S disconnect and white flashes
Thanks man. Yeah I saw that and I posted about this issue in there as well - I have tried both short and long HDMI cables but no joy. I have an awful feeling it’s the AVR that’s just for some reason not happy with HDR gaming (although why HDR movies are fine I don’t know). I’ll make do with going direct to the PJ for now and having trailing cables but this is where modern tech loses me completely........

Thanks for replying squire!

Last edited:
Have you emailed Denon support? It's just an idea although my experience of trying to get assistance about my remote control issue isn't positive. I contacted customer support via the Denon website. Shame nobody else has seen these posts, there MUST be hundreds of people running the same config as you.
Sorry I couldn't help more. One last ditch idea, try posting on another Denon forum for a current AVR model as these are bound to be more actively watched. AVRX4300Hl is quite old, but I think it's valid to ask the question to see if anyone has seen this on more current models and how they fixed it....

Have you emailed Denon support? It's just an idea although my experience of trying to get assistance about my remote control issue isn't positive. I contacted customer support via the Denon website. Shame nobody else has seen these posts, there MUST be hundreds of people running the same config as you.
Sorry I couldn't help more. One last ditch idea, try posting on another Denon forum for a current AVR model as these are bound to be more actively watched. AVRX4300Hl is quite old, but I think it's valid to ask the question to see if anyone has seen this on more current models and how they fixed it....
No worries at all matey, thanks for helping like you have! I'll try dropping Denon a note but like you say, maybe the best to hope for is a FW update at some point in the distant future to help. I'll try posting in other Denon threads to see if others have this issue or if its just limited to the 4300. Thanks again fella :smashin:

Just a quick update - I did email Denon customer services and they pointed me in the direction of this article:

Looks like it IS a known issue and not just a one thing fixes all. Hmmmm. Will try tonight but I have to admit, I was only trying the HDMI inputs that my UHD blu and Apple TV were playing fine through, not every single one of them. Plus short cables, plus disabling video conversion........bloody nora!

Curioser and curioser.

Wow, just read the post and it is obviously HDMI related. Looks like you need the shortest possible and highest rated cable. I'm curious as to how this resolves itself so please keep updating!

My AVR4300H died for the second time after 2.2 years of use and Denon provides only a 2-year warranty for its AV receivers. With Marantz and Yamaha you get a 3-year warranty. An extended warranty can be purchased from Denon but that adds to the cost of the receiver.

I do wish that the Japanese companies would let native English speakers write their manuals and have them reviewed by non-Japanese users of their products. Organization is also pathetic with speaker configuration requiring one to navigate through 3 different menu structures and then do various branches do set up the dB, speaker size or how bass is handled, crossover frequencies for main, surround, and subwoofer. Thank god for the content on youtube from Audyssey and other people that filled in the missing blanks in the Denon documentation.

Interesting point Denon makes about the cable and more specifically, the port to be used. Why label a port for a peripheral if it`s not capable?????

I need a new cable anyway for my Ps4 Pro so can anyone recommend on that handles all that Denon require (High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4)
Would this one suit? 1.5m PS4 4K HDMI Cable - Smallest Head SUPREME PIANO BLACK 'In The World'

Edit: I found this and looks OK. Thoughts? Certified Premium High Speed HDMI Cable, 4K @ 60Hz, HDR, 18Gbps, 28AWG, YUV 4:4:4, Black, 2 pack

Last edited:
The ports are all as capable as one another (apart from the input on the front). The benefit associated with using an input closer to the output is the signal path. The signal path is theoretically shorter relative to the ports closer to the output.

Amazon's own BASICS HDMI cables are both reliable and very affordable:

Keep lengths as short as possible and try to keep them under 2m. It isn't however recommended that cables shorter than 0.5 metres be used because they create issues of their own. Defonately avoid using cables longer than 8m in length.

If looking for a bit more assurance, look at cables officially catagorised by HDMI org as being PREMIUM. Here's one example:

Such cables will be authenticated by this label:
snapshot002.jpg

The Monoprice cable you link to is also officially certified as PREMIUM.

I'd suggest this to be the best option compared to the other you linked to. The 2 cablw offer being made by Monoprice is an exceptionally good price. The same cables can be sourced via Amazon, but will cost you three to four times as much for just one of tthe Monoprice cables.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks Dante. Very useful info as always.

AV Rant are interviewing Sound United ( Denon, Marantz etc ) this week and the discussion will include Heos, streaming, Amazon Music HD amongst various subjects.

Hi everyone,
I've just ordered a second hand 4300H on Amazon.
Fingers crossed it is in good condition.

I guess the 4300H is still a viable option even today?
I'm very new to AV. I'm a two channel guy :)

Hi afrancois and welcome to the Denon club! Yes, the 4300H is still fit for purpose. It can handle more or less any current audio and video format available today and it has all the connectivity most people need, and the actual performance is about as good as it gets until you go to the next level and spend a lot more cash. For most people this is as good as you need. Take time to do the room setup as carefully as you can. I would say this is the most critical activity to get the best from this or any other AV amp. Stereo isn't as sensitive to room acoustics as AV is.

I've had mine several years now and have tried several different configurations for listening to stereo music. My current setup exploits zone 2 for stereo. Assuming you still have your stereo amp and separate stereo speakers, and assuming the amp has line input then try connecting your zone 2 pre-outs on the Denon to your line-in on your stereo amp, you can listen to stereo sources through your current stereo amp and speakers . If you don't have separate speakers then you can't do this, but the Denon is pretty good anyway without the extra assistance of a stereo amp.

Let us know what speakers and other amps you might have for more specific guidance.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Hi kikiso, thank you for your answer. While I will use a stereo amplifier that I still have laying around (Lyngdorf SDA-2400) for the front channels, the AV will not replace my current HiFi rig. I will install the AV equipment in the pool house. I don't have any room behind the couch in my living room to install surround speakers. For your info, my speakers are Focal Sopra 2. I do also have room correction with Lyngdorf RoomPerfect.

Hi afrancois, Looks like you have all bases covered. Are you able to install any speakers to the sides of your couch? I've installed my rear speakers in line with the sides of my seating position and aimed outwards towards the walls. This worked better for me than just having them posting forwards. I also installed front height speakers. For the right films the sound is now as good as I think I can get to.

Looks like you have some serious kit. It should sound great whether you add the extra speakers or not.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom