Denon AVR-X4500 or Denon AVR-X3700?

dynamitetony

Established Member
Reaction score
I am not in a hurry to upgrade (I still have a Yamaha DSP-A1) but would like to make the jump to Dolby Atmos at some point.

Not that interested in 8k or gaming but cant work out if the newer 3700 is otherwise better than the 4500?

Any help much appreciated

The general consensus of opinion suggests that the additional power/headroom and added processing still marks the X4500 model as being the superior model as far as pure audio performance is concerned.

I'd not buy the X3700 over and above the X4500 if wanting the best sounding receiver.

Personally I'd take the X4500 over the newer X3700. I don't need anything that comes with the new 3700 and I can certainly work around the lack of HDR10+ pass through lacking on the X4500. The X4500 has a far better processor onboard with AL32 and that alone makes it a far better purchase than the newer model. More headroom never goes amiss either.

Now is a good time to buy the 4500 or even the 6500 (which is what I bought).

thank you both , thats great

not sure my budget would stretch but what would be better on the 6500 over the 4500? is it just better components?

thank you both , thats great

not sure my budget would stretch but what would be better on the 6500 over the 4500? is it just better components?
Yes, beefier power supplies, more headroom again. Depends on what speakers you are driving as there will always be diminishing gains pound for pound. Same AL32 processing on both 4500 and 6500. Stereo music is still crap on the 6500.

I'm using B&W 603s as my mains, and other B&W for surround/front

Stereo was one thing worrying me as i read its not great on the Denons but its 80% films / 20% music so thought it worth a go.

Sounds like the 4500 is the best bang for buck right now

I use a stereo amp with HT by-pass for music alongside my Denon as I do listen to a lot of music. For multi channel SACD or DVD concerts the Denon's do a lot better with the higher quality afforded to both those formats. Hans Zimmer Live in Prague is brilliant on the Denon as is film and TV.

I have been helping my mate with his first dedicated HC room.

B&W all round with twin subs and a Denon AVR-X4500H receiver.

He decided to get professional's to install everything today.

Just got a text from him to say that the Denon blew up when they were running the Audyssey set up. Flames and smoke: the whole shebang :D.

Put him off a bit, but his replacement should be up and running by this afternoon :clap:

Yes, no problem with retailer. He got it replaced immediately.

Its all up and running now. I'm going around to his place tomorrow, to check all the settings.

hello im having the exact same dilemma and my only concern with 4500 is if earc will work without issues.

The earc works well on my friends X4500 paired with an LG NANO90 86" TV.
We had problems, and finally had to turn off the CEC from the TV, and changed the HDMI cable. So he now turns on both TV and Amp with their own remotes.

hello im having the exact same dilemma and my only concern with 4500 is if earc will work without issues.
EARC is working fine with my LG 65C9 and x4500h. I no longer have the lip sync issues suffered with my older “plain arc” Yamaha AVR.

Ended up turning off CEC on the Denon so that some of our less discerning family members could easily continue to use the normal TV sound. :)

I managed to pickup a Denon AVR-4500H recently and its a pretty amazing amplifier, no complaints here at at all.

Ended up turning off CEC on the Denon so that some of our less discerning family members could easily continue to use the normal TV sound. :)

This sounds like a good idea, I might do the same :)

Good reading here. I am in the same predicament. Just sold the 2300w and need a new amp ASAP. My setup is below.

Nvidia shield pro, ps4 pro (ps5 pre ordered).
Fronts and centre: monitor Audio bronze 2.
Sub : P12-300SB-PR (just ordered )
Just ordered polk in wall and in ceiling speakers.

So i have a plan to go 5.1.2 in the new build.

Should i go 3700 for the sake of the HDMI 2.1 and HDR10. I am so confused by all the specs out there ATM and siff website tell you diff stuff

Using eArc the best option ?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom