Denon AVR X4500 or Yamaha RXA 1080

Laubau

Established Member
Reaction score
Both these receivers are around the same price which one is better for films and music?
Are there any others to consider?
Thanks

I guessit ultimately depends upon the room you are in and the number of speakers you can accomodate? The Denon is also more powerful so even if limiting the number of speakers to 7 or less, you'd still be better off using the Denon in larger listening rooms.

THe Yamaha is a 7 channel AV receiver with 7 channel processing so can only power 7 speakers and process 7 channels simultaneously. The DEnon is a 9 channel AV receiver with 11 channel processing. THis means that it can power9 speakers out of the box or even 11 if you add an external 2 channel amp. This would allow you to have a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2 Atmos setup straight away or even a 7.1.4 setup if you add 2 more channels of amplification.

My room is 18ft by 12ft I have a 5.1 at the moment but will be adding 2 height speakers. The extra channels of the Denon might become useful in future but it's not a deal breaker the Yamaha has less.
What's more important is that it should be good for stereo music. Thanks

It is fair to say that Yamaha receivers do tend to have a more favourable signature sound, especially relative to music sources. The build quality is also something that will be above average and more than likely why most people pay a premium for Yamaha receivers.

Last edited:
My room is 18ft by 12ft I have a 5.1 at the moment but will be adding 2 height speakers. The extra channels of the Denon might become useful in future but it's not a deal breaker the Yamaha has less.
What's more important is that it should be good for stereo music. Thanks
Denons are poor at stereo music. Look at Marantz if you want to stay with Audyssey. The Yamaha should be better at music as well. The alternative which many use is to have a stereo amp with HT by-pass for music. That's what I use with my X6500.

Thanks all I'm leaning towards the Yamaha now but also the idea of a cheaper av amp like the Denon avrx2600 and then spending the rest on a stereo amp like gibbsy just mentioned. Aaargh more decision haha!

Thanks all I'm leaning towards the Yamaha now but also the idea of a cheaper av amp like the Denon avrx2600 and then spending the rest on a stereo amp like gibbsy just mentioned. Aaargh more decision haha!
It would have to be a Denon receiver with at pre-outs. The 2600 doesn't have them you would have to look at the 3600 or upcoming 3700 for that option.

Denon have decent power amps.
If you want integrated amp and a avr you'll need to step up the range until it has pre outs

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom