Denon AVR X4500h firmware update issue

AVPup84

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello
Wonder if anyone experienced any issues with the latest firmware update on their 4500 or 6500 series? I attempted to run the latest firmware update yesterday and the unit just turned itself off (I mean off not standby so no display, not even the standby indicator o around the power button) and won’t start up. I mean literally as soon as I hit update, it instantly killed power to it! I couldn’t repower So ended up removing off mains, and connecting back up and it came back to life. I attempted the update again and boom.. exactly the same thing! This time I left it off, removed from mains for 1/2hr approx before plugging it back on to mains and powering it back up. Again as usually started up without issues but after the boot up, receiver front display showed firmware update available to perform and the receiver has automatically has gone into the firmware update page on setup. I hit update for the one last time, and it took me to a page warning me that unit won’t be operational during update etc and will power off for the update but this time it actually worked! I mean it turned the display off at TV end as it would be during a update process but receivers front panel stayed on showing the update progress etc.

has anyone experienced anything like this?
Thanks in advance and sorry about the long description of my explerience!

Welcome to the Forum.

I had a firmware update on my X6500 the day I installed it about six weeks ago. Went in with no problems and was to do with stability issues. It's not uncommon for updates to stall or cause problems such as you describe and it can happen to any manufacturer's units. You did the right thing by unplugging from the mains and doing a restart which it seems has cured whatever problem it had.

No issues here

Thanks gibbsy. Out of interest what’s your current firmware version? Yes since the update I haven’t had any issues

I'll have a look later but will it be the same for the 4500 as it would for my 6500?

Not that it really helps but I’m on the second update of my 4500H since installing it about a month ago. Both times everything went well. Are you using Wi-Fi or Ethernet?

[QUOTE="D-an-W,
Thank you. I’m running wireless. Just out of interest what firmware version are you currently on? I haven’t tried it since but as off couple of days ago, I was on the latest!

Here you go...

Shipping Firmware - 2461-5294-1181-3094
Updated Firmware - 2461-1324-1142-4045 (June 14th 2020)
Updated Firmware - 2461-8275-1132-2065 (June 25th 2020)

DTS Version - 3.90.50.51 (Remained Same)

Here you go...

Thanks very much

Here you go...

[/QUOTE

I have no idea, I actually asked this on the Denon Live Presentation today and was referred to the FAQ section on the Denon Support. There is some very basic info there but nothing that stands out really.

I was advised by Denon tech support that the latest update is purely for stability.

I have also have a question for all you lovely folk. (Probably not the right thread so apologies)
Can anyone tell me how to get Atmos from the AVR. If I play an Atmos disc on my Pana UB9000, denon displays the soundtrack as Atmos no problem. However if I stream any Netflix/Amazon program with Atmos (TV is set to passthrough lossless audio and EARC is enabled) I can only changed the track on the denon to DTS-X Neural, stereo, virtual surround etc.. am I right in saying due to Netflix is outputting lossy and not full lossless Atmos, Denon upmixing to DTX Neural? Is this same as DTS Plus?

I was advised by Denon tech support that the latest update is purely for stability.

I have also have a question for all you lovely folk. (Probably not the right thread so apologies)
Can anyone tell me how to get Atmos from the AVR. If I play an Atmos disc on my Pana UB9000, denon displays the soundtrack as Atmos no problem. However if I stream any Netflix/Amazon program with Atmos (TV is set to passthrough lossless audio and EARC is enabled) I can only changed the track on the denon to DTS-X Neural, stereo, virtual surround etc.. am I right in saying due to Netflix is outputting lossy and not full lossless Atmos, Denon upmixing to DTX Neural? Is this same as DTS Plus?
Netflix uses Dolby Digital Plus, usually in a 5.1 presentation. Any Atmos titles will have the metadata contained within that audio stream. DD+ is a lossy format. Same goes for Prime. You still need to set the TV to bitstream for the 4500 to decode the Atmos content.

You will only get Atmos from Netflix if you have the UHD subscription.

My TV is not Atmos capable but I have no problems decoding Atmos from SkyQ with my 6500 which has the same DD+ audio.

There is another update as of this morning, they did announce we would get an update to re-enable a Dolby feature they had to remove but thats not until October.

@gibbsy do I need a 4K TV attached to my main Sky Q box to get Atmos (I have a 4K TV on little Q box upstairs but "only" 1080p on main box)?

@gibbsy do I need a 4K TV attached to my main Sky Q box to get Atmos (I have a 4K TV on little Q box upstairs but "only" 1080p on main box)?
The TV has nothing to do with decoding Atmos, it can only stream it. Atmos is only decoded in the 4500. SkyQ only has Atmos from it's own channels, ie, Atlantic. Netflix on the Sky platform is vanilla Dolby Digital Plus. You cannot get Atmos from the 1080 box only the main box. Depending on your TV model then it may have Atmos audio from Netflix and Prime from which you would need to use ARC.

For Atmos from SkyQ the best connection is to the 4500 directly with HDMI pass through enabled then to the TV. The Sky box then needs to be configured to output Dolby Digital Plus in the audio menu.

Thanks, I will check out Atlantic. I just wasn't sure if you were required to be watching a 4K / UHD broadcast to get it (Which I can't do on the main box currently).

Thanks, I will check out Atlantic. I just wasn't sure if you were required to be watching a 4K / UHD broadcast to get it (Which I can't do on the main box currently).
You need the UHD subscription and you will only get Atmos on SkyQ from UHD on demand. There are several programmes with Atmos but they are way behind the likes of Netflix or Prime. They also charge handsomely for very little Atmos and certainly no HDR across the range. To say Sky is five years behind the curve is an understatement.

Thank you. I just upgraded my TV to a LG CX only to find out that it doesn’t passthrough lossy/lossless through EARC so inbuilt now can’t get Atmos from inbuilt apps. What a disappointment. Looks like I have to get a streaming device, possibly Nvidia Shield now.

Thank you. I just upgraded my TV to a LG CX only to find out that it doesn’t passthrough lossy/lossless through EARC so inbuilt now can’t get Atmos from inbuilt apps. What a disappointment. Looks like I have to get a streaming device, possibly Nvidia Shield now.
I just read the CX review on AVForums and it mentioned the CX can support eARC (enhanced audio return channel).

I just read the CX review on AVForums and it mentioned the CX can support eARC (enhanced audio return channel).
multichannel LPCM (5.1, 7.1 PCM) passthrough does not work through eARC in CX's. EARC port passes audio but can’t set to bitstream/LPCM etc so by default you only get stereo and AVR has to upmix to DTS X to get surround to work.
LG released a firmware update to Last years C9 model for full EARC passthrough but didn’t bother including that in the latest model. Silly really.. also CX doesn’t support DTS!!
brand-dark.svg

About our ads
You may also like

multichannel LPCM (5.1, 7.1 PCM) passthrough does not work through eARC in CX's. EARC port passes audio but can’t set to bitstream/LPCM etc so by default you only get stereo and AVR has to upmix to DTS X to get surround to work.
LG released a firmware update to Last years C9 model for full EARC passthrough but didn’t bother including that in the latest model. Silly really.. also CX doesn’t support DTS!!
brand-dark.svg

About our ads
You may also like
That is seriously poor from LG !

Well I've got a 3500 and mines doing the exact same thing. It usually keeps the front display panel on showing the progress, but it's just switching off. The only way I got it back on was through switching it off at the mains, which I really don't like doing when doing firmware updates.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom