Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Thank you Partha for your comments:smashin: and heads up on the cooling as others have also pointed out, which I shall be implementing as the avr is used in my lounge setup which is on almost constantly from after breakfast till 10pm at night. It is not my main setup and will only be used at moderate volume of up to around -20db and occasionally -15db region.

I have a Marantz 7010 7.2.4 in my cinema room with PA and mainly XTZ cinema series which I use for more serious listening on a PJ based system when I can go up to much louder volumes of -10db to near ref when necessary.

The speakers I will be using with the 4500 will for the time being mainly be a bit of a mixture of Atlantic technology LCR & surrounds with some MK K4 to use as the front height speakers although perhaps over the next few months I may change that around a bit.

Hi!
Thanks for your reply 😊
I am using the 4500 in my bedroom with 2 channels only and using an age old pair of floor standers Yamaha NS-200 -superb sweet sound despite being more than a decade old.
The 7013 is driving the new B&W 603's and HTM6 as center with old yamaha bookshelves as front heights and surrounds.
Sometimes later I may change the old Yamaha's with Fyne Audio F501 or Dali Oberon or Focul Chora -depending on audition experience.
Cheers,
Partha

Still happy with my X4500H using it daily without problems.
bought it for less then €1000. So be patient And look out for a good deal. Succes!

I was so much convinced by my 4500h replacing a x2500h a few months ago that i bought a 2nd 4500h to replace a x3500h : i really wanted to get atmos experience in both Living and bed rooms.
Also it has enough muscle to push my KEF and Klipsch towers.

Just received my second 4500H as the first one was faulty. Set it all up and sounds great. However, I have a serious problem with outputting surround sound from my PS4. I’ve changed the settings from bitstream you PCM but that makes no difference.when the PS4 starts the audio is surround sound for about a second or two, then the sound goes off for a second and comes back through the front two speakers only. I’ve tried playing Horizon and can only get stereo sound which is pointless when it’s mixed in 7.1.

I have a 5.1 setup and have tried all the movie sound options. The amp shows a 7.1 input and a 5.1 output but I still only get the front pair of speakers working. Even the display can be set to DD + Dolby surround and it makes no difference. The only setting that uses more that two speakers Iis the all channel stereo But I don’t want that.

Do I have yet another faulty receiver from Denon or does it simply not work properly with a PS4? It worked fine on my previous Onkyo 818 so I know the PS4 is fine. So frustrating! Can anyone advise?

Just received my second 4500H as the first one was faulty. Set it all up and sounds great. However, I have a serious problem with outputting surround sound from my PS4. I’ve changed the settings from bitstream you PCM but that makes no difference.when the PS4 starts the audio is surround sound for about a second or two, then the sound goes off for a second and comes back through the front two speakers only. I’ve tried playing Horizon and can only get stereo sound which is pointless when it’s mixed in 7.1.

I have a 5.1 setup and have tried all the movie sound options. The amp shows a 7.1 input and a 5.1 output but I still only get the front pair of speakers working. Even the display can be set to DD + Dolby surround and it makes no difference. The only setting that uses more that two speakers Iis the all channel stereo But I don’t want that.

Do I have yet another faulty receiver from Denon or does it simply not work properly with a PS4? It worked fine on my previous Onkyo 818 so I know the PS4 is fine. So frustrating! Can anyone advise?

turned my amp and PS4 on this morning and it now seems to be working through all speakers! Not sure what the problem was as I haven’t changed anything apart from restarting the game (does that really matter!?).

Will have a bit more of a play to see if the PS3 is also working now with games or if it still insists on using 2 speakers.

turned my amp and PS4 on this morning and it now seems to be working through all speakers! Not sure what the problem was as I haven’t changed anything apart from restarting the game (does that really matter!?).

Will have a bit more of a play to see if the PS3 is also working now with games or if it still insists on using 2 speakers.

You need to power everything off and on again when swapping hdmi devices so the handshaking is set properly. Common mistake to make in the days of nothing really powering off anymore.

You need to power everything off and on again when swapping hdmi devices so the handshaking is set properly. Common mistake to make in the days of nothing really powering off anymore.

hi, sorry but what do you mean by powering off everything when swapping HDMI devices? Do you mean that the console should have been completely switched off before connecting the HDMI cable to the receiver? I assume you don’t mean that everything needs switching off every time a different source is selected?

If it’s just ensuring the device connected is fully switched off before connecting the cable then that is good to know and could explain why it now seems to be working since I did just that.

Thanks

hi, sorry but what do you mean by powering off everything when swapping HDMI devices? Do you mean that the console should have been completely switched off before connecting the HDMI cable to the receiver? I assume you don’t mean that everything needs switching off every time a different source is selected?

If it’s just ensuring the device connected is fully switched off before connecting the cable then that is good to know and could explain why it now seems to be working since I did just that.

Thanks
When you completely power off the devices, ie, disconnecting the main's power supply, then turning the devices back on forces a new handshake. This is often the simple way to have a firm handshake and should cause no more problems. There is no need to power down when changing sources. You should always power off all equipment in the chain when changing HDMI cables or ports. Hot connecting can cause problems.

Thanks

Exactly what @gibbsy said. Always the first thing to try when anything misbehaves too.

The PS4 should be set to PCM, which the receiver will say is multi-channel on the display, and then set the output to pure direct (yellow button on receiver remote, two pushes I think). Opting for pure direct will mean the display on the receiver goes off but, it should be the default option for the PS4, as well as a UHD player, should you have one.

Have you seen this?

The PS4 should be set to PCM, which the receiver will say is multi-channel on the display, and then set the output to pure direct (yellow button on receiver remote, two pushes I think). Opting for pure direct will mean the display on the receiver goes off but, it should be the default option for the PS4, as well as a UHD player, should you have one.

Just Direct would be more appropriate so the display stays on... Unless you specifically want it off obviously :)

All Pure Direct does over Direct is turn the display off and shuts down the video circuitry if no video signal is present which it won't in the cases you've mentioned.

Pure Direct would also bypass Audyssey room EQ correction and the receiver's bass management so not the best option to use if wanting room EQ correction and bass management to be in effect.

Pure Direct would also bypass Audyssey room EQ correction and the receiver's bass management so not the best option to use if wanting room EQ correction and bass management to be in effect.

Lol, missed that, guess he was off on every count :)

I’ve read that the PS4 should be set to PCM as game sound is stored this way and less processing goes on in the PS4. There are separate settings for BDs where bitstream should be used to show DD etc on the receiver. In the end though, neither apparently makes any difference to the quality of sound when using HDMI as both work with uncompressed audio. More about what you see on the display.

Hello members,
Whenever I am switching on my 4500 using Alexa or google assistant, by default it is switching to Internet Radio source. Is there any way to change it ?
Thanks.
Partha

Hello members,
Whenever I am switching on my 4500 using Alexa or google assistant, by default it is switching to Internet Radio source. Is there any way to change it ?
Thanks.
Partha

There's a setting where you can say what source you want at power up, this would effect just using the power button as well so it's that not the case?

I’ve read that the PS4 should be set to PCM as game sound is stored this way and less processing goes on in the PS4. There are separate settings for BDs where bitstream should be used to show DD etc on the receiver. In the end though, neither apparently makes any difference to the quality of sound when using HDMI as both work with uncompressed audio. More about what you see on the display.

Sorry, don't have one, just googled it as I was amused the PS4 is the same mess the Xbox one is.

On the Xbox you can force it to always output an Atmos signal even though it may only be carrying info on the front pair. Works though!

There's a setting where you can say what source you want at power up, this would effect just using the power button as well so it's that not the case?
Nope! I believe you are referring to the "power on source select" which works when I am using any source select button on the remote while on standby.
But this Internet Radio source getting selected everytime I am switching the amp using Alexa or google assistant!!

Games would still be output as LPCM irrespective of the main HDMI audio output setting or the OPTIONs setting respective to Blu-ray discs.

Setting up the console to BITSTREAM the audio associated with Blu-rays as explained via the link and this has no effect what so ever upon the audio you'd get via games and games discs.

Yes, theoretically there's no diference in quality between the multichannel PCM audio or the formatted audio, but you'd only ever get Atmos metagata in association with Blu-ray titles that include it if BITSTREAMING to audio from the console to the AV receiver for the AV receiver to decode. Letting the console do the decoding would strip the metadata and result in it not being sent to the AV receiver. You'd also not be inflormed of the type of audio format being dealt with via the AV receiver's front display if not BITSTREAMING the audio as opposed to letting the source do the decoding.

Even if you configure the PS4 to BITSTREAM the audio associated with Blu-ray discs, it will still output the audio associated with games as LPCM. THe setting as oulined via the link is specific to the media playing at the time. The console retains that setting for Blu-ray discs until you alter it to something different. The same setting isn't the same for games and will not effect games.

Last edited:
Nope! I believe you are referring to the "power on source select" which works when I am using any source select button on the remote while on standby.
But this Internet Radio source getting selected everytime I am switching the amp using Alexa or google assistant!!

I was but worth checking as some people just use the input buttons to turn it on so may not have found it :)

Is it a specific input you always want it to turn on to? If there isn't a setting to fix it you could get around it, with Alexa at least, by setting a routine to turn it on and then select the input you want, then call it something more generic/simpler.

The issue might be because it's a HEOS skill rather than an AVR specific skill and I believe Internet Radio is the default for HEOA if nothing else is playing. If that is the case, a routine looks your best bet to make it do what you want.

The issue might be because it's a HEOS skill rather than an AVR specific skill and I believe Internet Radio is the default for HEOA if nothing else is playing. If that is the case, a routine looks your best bet to make it do what you want.
That is absolutely correct. As the amp is being turned on through the HEOS app, it's Internet Radio input is getting selected. Already tried the "routine". Unfortunately both google assistant and Alexa can't switch/change the source. Hope this skill will be added soon.
Thanks much for your help and time 😊

That is absolutely correct. As the amp is being turned on through the HEOS app, it's Internet Radio input is getting selected. Already tried the "routine". Unfortunately both google assistant and Alexa can't switch/change the source. Hope this skill will be added soon.
Thanks much for your help and time 😊

That's odd, on heoshome.com it says...

For HEOS-enabled AV receivers, you may say the following:

· “Alexa, switch input to <DVD, Blu-ray, Game, etc.> on <room name>.”

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom