Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

See below

Watched Zombieland: Double Tap this morning, I’m sad enough to get a smile out of seeing this on the display for the first time:

View attachment 1252653

Great audio mix, well worth a spin.
I was also pleased to see the IMAX flag appear and agree it sounded great. However check out parameters when playing ZLDT. The crossovers are altered to 70Hz High & Low pass (IMAX standard), which may well be different from how we set them post calibration. Makes you wonder how much of Audyssey is bypassed when IMAX is engaged?
I did skim read quite a critical article about it but for the life of me can't find it again.

Found
I was also pleased to see the IMAX flag appear and agree it sounded great. However check out parameters when playing ZLDT. The crossovers are altered to 70Hz High & Low pass (IMAX standard), which may well be different from how we set them post calibration. Makes you wonder how much of Audyssey is bypassed when IMAX is engaged?
I did skim read quite a critical article about it but for the life of me can't find it again.
Found it 👍

Please tell me if it is possible to place 2 speakers (Minx12 ) as the rear atmos ONLY . I mean I am going to place 2 minx12 wall-mounted at rear , near the ceiling.

it seems I could hear the atmos effect easily because they are nearer than the front position ( I might be wrong) . It seems the X4500 amp does NOT allow me to configure for the rear atmos only???

My sofa is against the wall, the rear surround speakers on either sofa‘s side. The distance from main listening position to the front wall is around 3.5m

please advice

You'd be better off mounting them 2ft in front of your MLP on the side walls if possible.
You can put them behind you but you'll have to assign them out of spec, say top middles but it will work.

You can technically have an Atmos setup using the X4500 with just rear height speakers, but it wouldn't be the best portrayal of Atmos. Dolby suggest having the heights at the front in setups restricted to having just 2 height speakers.

Your ear are located on your head in a way that makes you more able to localise audio ahead of you than audio behind you. Having just 2 Atmos speakers behnd you will result in the effect being more diminished because of the way you hear things.

The trouble having them as fronts is they get lost in the front stage.
When I was running a 5.1.2 config the best results I got was having the heights 2ft forward and to the side. This resulted in good separation of the heights from the front stage and surrounds.

You'd be better off mounting them 2ft in front of your MLP on the side walls if possible.
You can put them behind you but you'll have to assign them out of spec, say top middles but it will work.
thanks for your advice. However, Top-Middle position is unable due to the living room layout and wife permission

You can technically have an Atmos setup using the X4500 with just rear height speakers....

could you please tell me more. I did set up then Speakers configuration did not allow me to set rear height ONLY. it was ok with front height + rear height. I had to adjust front-height volume to zero

could you please tell me more. I did set up then Speakers configuration did not allow me to set rear height ONLY. it was ok with front height + rear height. I had to adjust front-height volume to zero

I'd not do it in the manner you have because the receiver is still mapping objects to the front speakers which are not in fact there. There'll me a hole in the conveyance of objects due to these speakers being absent.

My initial response was in fact incorrect and it is only if using the Dolby enabled upward firing speaker options that you'd be able to have either just 2 front or 2 surround upward firing speakers within a setup.

I can only suggest that you use the closest option available to where the speakers actually are and this would be the TOP MIDDLE ceiling mounted option. THis wouldn't however be strictly speaking correct relative to the actual location of your speakers.

Dante is absolutely right, as I said in post #655.
Don't worry too much about asigning them out of spec as Top Middles too much, as when you calibrate it'll calculate on their actual position.
Just try to get them as high and pointing at your MLP as much as possible.

Dante is absolutely right, as I said in post #655.
Don't worry too much about asigning them out of spec as Top Middles too much, as when you calibrate it'll calculate on their actual position.
Just try to get them as high and pointing at your MLP as much as possible.

The receiver has no idea as to where the speakers actually are and this is why you are supposed to follow Dolby's own guidlines when positioning the speakers. The receiver only know what the distance is relative to your seated location. This could be in any direction from where you are sat and the receiver doesn't know where the speakers are. The fact of the matter is that the speakers will not be portraying effects behind you if configured as speakers above or in front of you. If they are in fact behind you then the receiver is assuming that the speakers are above you and that is where it assumes the distance measurement relates to.

An AV receiver's auto cal doesn't map each speakers location within the room it is being used. You are still required to conform with the standardised speaker layouts and should try to locate your speakers as close to those guidlines as possible.

Last edited:
The receiver has no idea as to where the speakers actually are and this is why you are supposed to follow Dolby's own guidlines when positioning the speakers. THe receiver only know what the distance is relative to your seated location. THis could be in any direction from where you are sat and the receiver doesn't know where the speakers are. THe fact of the matter is that the speakers will not be portraying effects behind you if configured as speakers above or in front of you and if they are in fact behind you. The receiver is assuming that the speakers are above you and that is where it assumes the distance ,easurement relates to.

An AV receiver's auro cal doesn't map each speakers location within the room it is being used. You are still required to conform with the standardise speaker layouts and should try to locate your speakers as close to those guidlines as possible.
Obviously, but it's about compromise given sman009's positioning limitations.

Thank you very much , Dante01, Tebbo65 for your deep knowledge.

I may try to hang one Minx12 in the middle of the beam and the other one on the opposite beam.

please look at the photos , is there any problem?
D62BF14A-D70A-4F55-A80D-6AA092E7EE60.jpeg
D62BF14A-D70A-4F55-A80D-6AA092E7EE60.jpeg
98E3907A-5867-4CEF-B76F-9ED6BB6C6026.jpeg
98E3907A-5867-4CEF-B76F-9ED6BB6C6026.jpeg

I am a Denon 4200 user looking to upgrade to the 4500.

I have an issue with 4200. When I play 4K UHDs on my Oppo 203 and route them through the Denon, the picture often goes off while navigating disc menus (i.e. whenever the Dolby Vision signal is re-engaged) with a message on my LG OLED saying "no signal"

If I route the video directly to my TV using the Oppo's second HDMI cable no such errors occur (or very infrequently). This suggests an issue during the receiver stage of the chain.

Does the 4500 do the same?

I could continue with dual HDMIs but this sometimes introduces lip sync problems.

Thanks!

I am a Denon 4200 user looking to upgrade to the 4500.

I have an issue with 4200. When I play 4K UHDs on my Oppo 203 and route them through the Denon, the picture often goes off while navigating disc menus (i.e. whenever the Dolby Vision signal is re-engaged) with a message on my LG OLED saying "no signal"

If I route the video directly to my TV using the Oppo's second HDMI cable no such errors occur (or very infrequently). This suggests an issue during the receiver stage of the chain.

Does the 4500 do the same?

I could continue with dual HDMIs but this sometimes introduces lip sync problems.

Thanks!
My 4500 has no such issues and passes all HDR formats fine

You should have a stable lip syn with dual HDMI and it can be better to adjust the lip sync in the player itself and leave the Denon on auto. Your current problem could lie in the handshake between the Denon and the LG itself. Hopefully a new 4500 will have a better connection.

My 4500 has no such issues and passes all HDR formats fine
You will be unable to passthrough HDR10+, no receivers currently have that ability, not that there is an overwhelming collection of titles in that format.

You should have a stable lip syn with dual HDMI and it can be better to adjust the lip sync in the player itself and leave the Denon on auto. Your current problem could lie in the handshake between the Denon and the LG itself.

I'll try that. The reason I need to manually sync the audio at all is because the LG forces on Real Cinema mode when playing Dolby Vision titles. This adds an 83ms (est.) delay to the picture. To level up every source from the Oppo I need to switch TruMotion on but set the levels at zero. This effectively creates a matching 83ms delay for non-Dolby Vision material (including regular blu-ray) so that the receiver can delay everything with the same setting. It's a real pain.

I'll try and shift that delay to the player and leave the receiver delay at zero.

I've never really understood whether to leave the Denon auto-sync feature on or off. It doesnt seem to make a huge amount of difference....!?

I'll try that. The reason I need to manually sync the audio at all is because the LG forces on Real Cinema mode when playing Dolby Vision titles. This adds an 83ms (est.) delay to the picture. To level up every source from the Oppo I need to switch TruMotion on but set the levels at zero. This effectively creates a matching 83ms delay for non-Dolby Vision material (including regular blu-ray) so that the receiver can delay everything with the same setting. It's a real pain.

I'll try and shift that delay to the player and leave the receiver delay at zero.

I've never really understood whether to leave the Denon auto-sync feature on or off. It doesnt seem to make a huge amount of difference....!?
I have my Pioneer LX500 direct to the TV with HDMI audio out to my Denon X6200. I only ever adjust the delay on the LX500 and leave the Denon on auto which seems to do a good job on broadcast and apps from my Panasonic OLED. I do get the occasional handshake where the sync is out with the TV and have to turn both the Denon and Panny off to get a better one.

I also have SkyQ which has it's own audio adjustment which works well.

You should have a stable lip syn with dual HDMI and it can be better to adjust the lip sync in the player itself and leave the Denon on auto. Your current problem could lie in the handshake between the Denon and the LG itself. Hopefully a new 4500 will have a better connection.

You will be unable to passthrough HDR10+, no receivers currently have that ability, not that there is an overwhelming collection of titles in that format.
Yep agree with that! Like you said hardly any discs are coded with HDR10+

Hi folks, latest firmware update came through this morning. I proceeded. Usual click to standby occurred and front panel went black, status light remained green. That was an hour ago and it said it would take 10 minutes. Nothing appeared on front panel like ‘Updating’. Any thoughts please?

Actually, the status light isn’t lit at all. Must have been a reflection. Power button front is unresponsive but I’m reluctant to do anything else.

I hate updates even though they are necessary most times. They always put you through hell if they don't happen without sailing through with no glitches, you never know whether to disconnect power or not in case you brick it.

I hope yours is fine Gary, maybe call the service dept and explain what has happened and see if they can offer some advice.

I did mine in the Morning and it went through fine

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom