Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Thanks Gibbsy
currently its being used for 2.1 only in the lounge.
but plan to have home cinema in future.
Kef R 300 are the speakers being used with Yamaha 471 AV receiver(old 2011) model.
would like to get into atmos
The KEFs do like power. For that reason I would pick the 4500 with 5.1 or higher in mind and it would make an easy job of driving them. I was driving all my R Series in a 5.1.2 with a 6200. Only thing that I'm not positive about with the Denons is their poor stereo music performance.

grr i got it for 1099.. which I thought was good.. kicking myself that others got it for 900.

Did any one get a manual or is that not a thing now?

Also treated myself to a pair of DALI ALTECO C1 to add new heights to the front..

still not sure if I preferred surround back to the two heights.. got lots of testing to do

Yeah I thought the same, and I think you're right, it's the upscaling that stands out. Previously I was just using the TV's upscaling (LG C7 OLED) and I thought it was pretty good, but with the Sky signal running through the X4500H the upscaling is really impressive, even the colour tone is more vibrant.

It helped win the other half around. I think she was slightly miffed I made a fairly chunky purchase, then she sat down to watch Masterchef Australia (her favourite show of all time) and went 'Ooh wow it does look good!'. Prior to that it was all 'Ugh Another remote control! ... and my favourite 'there's too much sound now'.

ok.. so you recommend using the avr over the LG for other sources?
I really love being able to switch the web os app.. but if it is that noticeable..

grr i got it for 1099.. which I thought was good.. kicking myself that others got it for 900.

Did any one get a manual or is that not a thing now?

Also treated myself to a pair of DALI ALTECO C1 to add new heights to the front..

still not sure if I preferred surround back to the two heights.. got lots of testing to do
Printed manuals are so out of fashion and it's a real arseache. You have to go on line and download one.

Disappointed
DPD let me down
No communication about the delivery

ok.. so you recommend using the avr over the LG for other sources?
I really love being able to switch the web os app.. but if it is that noticeable..
Definitely a noticeable improvement over the LGs upscaling. If you're using Web os for Netflix/Prime/YouTube etc. the LG should still upscale those, it won't attempt to upscale anything you run through the avr as the avr is already sending it a 4k signal. Make sure you set the 4k Signal Format to 'enhanced' on the avr

Disappointed
DPD let me down
No communication about the delivery

Where did you order from?
I ordered from Peter Tyson on Friday and was delivered yesterday from dpd - Just about to set up now.

Greetings all.

Having picked up this amp along with a Monitor Audio Silver 200 AV12 set up and a Panasonic DP-UB9000 I am currently in the process of setting it all up. I have encountered an issue with the ATV4K. I was previously running this through an Onkyo 646 and didn't really have an issue with it apart from it not passing through Dolby Vision. When I came to plugging into the 4500 it didn't seem to like the Dolby Vision at all and the screen went green! I have even gone out and bought a new Soundstrom Gold HDMI cable and that hasn't helped with it either. The only way it seems to be ok is when I plug it into the other ARC capable port on the TV (Sony 65ZD9) Has anybody else had a similar problem? Is there a way to fix it?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Greetings all.

Having picked up this amp along with a Monitor Audio Silver 200 AV12 set up and a Panasonic DP-UB9000 I am currently in the process of setting it all up. I have encountered an issue with the ATV4K. I was previously running this through an Onkyo 646 and didn't really have an issue with it apart from it not passing through Dolby Vision. When I came to plugging into the 4500 it didn't seem to like the Dolby Vision at all and the screen went green! I have even gone out and bought a new Soundstrom Gold HDMI cable and that hasn't helped with it either. The only way it seems to be ok is when I plug it into the other ARC capable port on the TV (Sony 65ZD9) Has anybody else had a similar problem? Is there a way to fix it?

Any advice would be appreciated!
I'm thinking of getting this amp. I was reading the American based owners thread and on page 1 it has this advice about what to do if you get a green screen:

Green screen on TV: This is usually the result of either a bad HDMI cable or HDMI handshake issue with the TV. Try replacing the HDMI cables with "High Speed" (1080p) cables. Also try the HDMI Handshake resolution tips listed in item (k) below. If after doing the suggested tips, you are still seeing a green screen, give Denon a call as there may be an issue with the AVR's HDMI board.

k. HDMI Handshake Issues (audio/video dropouts): Handshake issues will most often present as "audio dropouts" or sometimes video display issues. Ensure the source device having the issue has the latest firmware installed and has been reset (ie. powered down, unplugged for a few minutes, then powered back ON again). For a more detailed HDMI reset try the following procedure ...

HDMI HDCP reset

With all devices powered on, remove the two HDMI cables at both ends from the source device to the AVR and from the AVR to the TV.

Power off all devices and disconnect power cables to all devices.

Wait 10-15 minutes.

Reconnect HDMI and power cables to all devices.

Power on the devices in this order ... TV, wait a few secs, AVR, wait a few secs, and then source device (although this is the generally recommended order, in some instances, you may have better luck powering on the AVR first and then the TV, then the source last ... bottom line if it's still not working, try a different power on sequence).

If the issue only involves the cable/sat box, HDMI handshake issues with cable/sat boxes are quite common (with any brand of AVR) and are usually always the fault of the cable/sat box not being designed to be connected to an HDMI repeater (ie. AVR) which is why they work without issue connected directly to the TV. Give your cable/sat box provider a call to see if there is a separate firmware update that can be applied to the box to resolve the issue although note that in some cases, a future firmware update to the cable/sat box may very well cause an HDMI handshake issue as well, so your best option to avoid the issue now (or in the future) is to connect the cable/sat box HDMI directly to the TV and also connect an optical cable from the cable/sat box to the AVR for surround audio. If you don't have an optical cable available, and your cable/sat box has a coax digital "orange" output, you can also use a coax digital cable (note: a "yellow" composite video RCA cable is a suitable substitute) and connect it to the SAT/CBL coax digital input on the AVR (ie. right next to the optical jack). Note that with this configuration (ie. HDMI straight to TV) you will lose the GUI/status menu for the cable/sat box, but you retain the capability to watch TV using the TV speakers only with the AVR in Standby (eg. news, sports, wife, kids). Another option, if your AVR features a component video input is to connect both a component video cable and an optical (or digital coax) cable from the cable/sat box to the AVR noting that although you gain the GUI/status menu feature, you will lose the capability to watch TV using the TV speakers only. You may also want to try upgrading to a different model cable/sat box.

Other possible solutions:

Try inserting an HDMI switch in between the AVR and the TV

Ensure there is proper ventilation around the AVR (at least 3-4" above the unit) and if enclosed in a cabinet, use a PC fan to exhaust the heated air out the back of the cabinet

HDMI performance can also vary between the different HDMI input jacks due to quirks of circuit board design so be sure to try each of the other HDMI inputs as one may work better than another

With the (S940H/X2500H) and higher models, if you are having a video issue, try setting the "Resolution" setting to the resolution of the TV(eg. 1080p) rather than using the "Auto" setting.

I hope that this will be of some help to you. I'm sure that you can find the thread for more details.

It may have been my imagination but I'm sure I read somewhere that this amp had build in chromecast ? I can't seem to find it anywhere in my online manual...

Anyways superb upgrade for me. .. 7.4.1 set up... It's stunning!

I currently own a 3300w.I'm trying to convince my wife that I need to upgrade to the 4500!Would we notice a big difference?

I currently own a 3300w.I'm trying to convince my wife that I need to upgrade to the 4500!Would we notice a big difference?
It would be a little step up. If you really want to improve make a bigger step to at least the 6500. There could be more room to improve depending on your speakers.

Can anyone with the 4500h tell me if this is possible:

Can the speaker terminals that are actively driven be switched dependent on what input source is active?

I want to run 2 speaker setups in my living room from the same amp. A 5.1.4 sub/sat/ceiling setup arranged around the TV, and 2 floorstanders either side of the fireplace for music.

So, can I wire up the 11 speakers to the 11 terminals on the rear and then assign the 9 amps to those speakers when required?

@Matt wS Yes, the denon manual take you through the arrangement (excerpt below for ease), should in theory switch automatically in response to a stereo signal under this arrangement:

Connecting 7.1-channel speakers: Second pair of front speakers

This system enables switching playback between front speakers A and B as desired.

You can connect speakers for up to 9-channels for MAIN ZONE. When you connect speakers for 8 or more channels, the output speakers automatically switch according to the input signal and sound mode.

Pict%20SP%20Layout%207.1%20FB_UJDCILclttajuk.png

Conne%20SP%207.1%20FB%20X44E3_DRDZILtwhvhalb.png

The height speakers, ceiling speakers and Dolby Atmos Enabled speakers can be connected to the HEIGHT1 speaker terminals. Set the speaker to be connected from “Height” - “Layout” in the menu. link

Connecting 7.1-channel speakers: Second pair of front speakers AVR-X4500H

Can anyone with the 4500h tell me if this is possible:

Can the speaker terminals that are actively driven be switched dependent on what input source is active?

I want to run 2 speaker setups in my living room from the same amp. A 5.1.4 sub/sat/ceiling setup arranged around the TV, and 2 floorstanders either side of the fireplace for music.

So, can I wire up the 11 speakers to the 11 terminals on the rear and then assign the 9 amps to those speakers when required?
Apart from the two floorstanders the 5.1.4 will all be in the ceiling? Pointless having the Atmos configuration as there has to be a good separation between the Atmos layer and the base layer. Having all speakers in the ceiling is just going to give you all your sound from above.

The front three need to be aligned on the horizontal at seated head height, as do the surrounds. That will give you the correct separation for a good immersive Atmos experience, the bubble of sound.

If you want to use the floorstanders for music you would be better off investing in a good stereo amp with HT by-pass and integrating that into your overall 5.1.4 system as at the moment your speaker layout is just a mess. I've linked the correct layout for you below.

Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 Speaker Setup

@Matt wS just noticed you're running it parallel with a 5.1.4 setup and fear I may have jumped in too early! you'd need a power amp to run two of the eleven speakers as the Denon only supports 9 with amplification.

You might find joy in running your 'music' fronts frrom the pre-out via a stereo amplifier. The key would be whether you can find a way to switch from stereo pre-out, to the normal 5.1.4 setup - perhaps someone else can input on that?

@Matt wS Yes, the denon manual take you through the arrangement (excerpt below for ease), should in theory switch automatically in response to a stereo signal under this arrangement

Great. Thanks.

Apart from the two floorstanders the 5.1.4 will all be in the ceiling?

No. It's a set of KEF T205s to which I would be adding new atmos speakers in the ceiling.

I will sketch up a quick diagram.

Also, does it come with a plug-in IR receiver to allow the remote to function when it's inside a closed cabinet? If not, are these things just generic jobbies?

Great. Thanks.

No. It's a set of KEF T205s to which I would be adding new atmos speakers in the ceiling.

I will sketch up a quick diagram.

Also, does it come with a plug-in IR receiver to allow the remote to function when it's inside a closed cabinet? If not, are these things just generic jobbies?
Thank goodness for that! I don't believe there is a built in repeater. I actually have an IR repeater built into my cabinet and my 6200 has never failed to respond to it.

What you are looking at is a separation between the music and the film experience. I think this will be best achieved by using the same speakers from different amps, the music being fed by a stereo amp with HT by-pass and the film experience using the both the stereo amp and the Denon.

As much as I like my 6200 for film it is relatively poor at music, which is important to me, the introduction of a Rega Elicit-R into the set up has greatly improved my music enjoyment. The added benefit for film is that the overall front soundstage is much better and the remaining speakers connected to the Denon have benefitted from the saved power being distributed to them.

The benefit of you have KEF speakers is that they are very easy to integrate with others from the KEF range and there are some serious bargains to be had from the outgoing R Series.

This is roughly what the setup would look like. L-shape sofa.

3I5FzxBJl23VOo2N7P3B4r_vGuIlV1PJi3dk8wlVGVRJcZNOhYWP95lKPU0v3NRjRr0zUgqbkMNpK5XA6gQtiPrQqQWRAkPjcfOg_oy10nVRPxjKIS1D8eq0LJgcwK-6WHosELLYu1rxrmtXIEchNBBMKWH11K0xHyrXuxqvYq68G5xHW7BGnOjQt9q5KLmiewJXUpfh4kGpoD52xU8P4AbGdrRcQ5jTDfYZ6u2Wm_6kOeMXi67Mq4DXV0Z8ICz9NLQ5X0Qh5uMJiecG6VEgcuo0Hgti-foMnNi9UO_fSgWGzryT9n0ohLuQkykeiaSVkiqzTz1otZsirf_RMaI6btRFd7qyyljq6k1Y9GYsBnmnhUSQAtvO0w6bx-y83qpgDnv8oBB6uZRq1687Lc-42WxRcgjQfwrZKQ3Ru2MUlN_APrHLxNaJ5jEJ6NOBtJ7zk8hGAp0uWzldhXnOAGP7vIcEbaAHqT8Q__kEY6J4ZCnf8cXEGUJkRBkA918ep3T00rI_DWnKZpu5N8qL9FofxyUAxYgmAFBd4u3ycONxO1k8vVMuVxj86WFmGBtrb9ogCo_VIjJE-So0PCdui1NRnADXZwaOBQMgQiPH0oyQgMLjAf-3XzKBLnoCh9-LjbUI6JGpDbwSR-nhjQ0NNmMHKiVf=w577-h432-no

I'm not decided yet on whether I would keep my floorstanders in this room or not. As such, I was more interested in whether I could run everything off the Denon like this for now, and then decide later if I want to add a discreet music amp.

This is roughly what the setup would look like. L-shape sofa.

3I5FzxBJl23VOo2N7P3B4r_vGuIlV1PJi3dk8wlVGVRJcZNOhYWP95lKPU0v3NRjRr0zUgqbkMNpK5XA6gQtiPrQqQWRAkPjcfOg_oy10nVRPxjKIS1D8eq0LJgcwK-6WHosELLYu1rxrmtXIEchNBBMKWH11K0xHyrXuxqvYq68G5xHW7BGnOjQt9q5KLmiewJXUpfh4kGpoD52xU8P4AbGdrRcQ5jTDfYZ6u2Wm_6kOeMXi67Mq4DXV0Z8ICz9NLQ5X0Qh5uMJiecG6VEgcuo0Hgti-foMnNi9UO_fSgWGzryT9n0ohLuQkykeiaSVkiqzTz1otZsirf_RMaI6btRFd7qyyljq6k1Y9GYsBnmnhUSQAtvO0w6bx-y83qpgDnv8oBB6uZRq1687Lc-42WxRcgjQfwrZKQ3Ru2MUlN_APrHLxNaJ5jEJ6NOBtJ7zk8hGAp0uWzldhXnOAGP7vIcEbaAHqT8Q__kEY6J4ZCnf8cXEGUJkRBkA918ep3T00rI_DWnKZpu5N8qL9FofxyUAxYgmAFBd4u3ycONxO1k8vVMuVxj86WFmGBtrb9ogCo_VIjJE-So0PCdui1NRnADXZwaOBQMgQiPH0oyQgMLjAf-3XzKBLnoCh9-LjbUI6JGpDbwSR-nhjQ0NNmMHKiVf=w577-h432-no

I'm not decided yet on whether I would keep my floorstanders in this room or not. As such, I was more interested in whether I could run everything off the Denon like this for now, and then decide later if I want to add a discreet music amp.
I can now see what you are trying to achieve. This just reinforces the need for a separate amp and keep the two system separate, especially if you have a separate player for music delivery. You would not need a HT capable amp in this case and it could be connected to the Denon via the Zone 2 analogue outs, accessed on the remote but another amp would definitely be needed.

Hi. Amp delivered yesterday. Will be setting it up later. Any key things I should watch for during setup? Using a 5.1 speaker arrangement with bi-wired fronts. Haven't used an amp with HDMI before so looking forward to reduce the number of cables in the cabinet!

Last edited:
Hi. Amp delivered yesterday. Will be setting it up later. Any key things I should watch for during setup? Using a 5.1 speaker arrangement with bi-wired fronts. Haven't used an amp with HDMI before so looking forward to reduce the number of cables in the cabinet!
Bi wiring isn't worth it. You gain very very little. As for the set up follow the Wizard, Denon has made it extremely easy. If you can place the Audyssey mic on a tripod, your first position is the most important. Make sure the room is quiet.

Enjoy.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom