Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

That's odd, on heoshome.com it says...

For HEOS-enabled AV receivers, you may say the following:

· “Alexa, switch input to <DVD, Blu-ray, Game, etc.> on <room name>.”
Yes. Saw that thread. Tried that command without any luck.
Neither Google nor Alexa is recognizing it.

Yes. Saw that thread. Tried that command without any luck.
Neither Google nor Alexa is recognizing it.

Bummer, have to admit I haven't found anything to like about the HEOS side of things, as in the network control side rather than the wireless speakers that is.

I set mine up to work by voice using Alexa>Harmony but to be honest I don't rarely use it.

Bummer, have to admit I haven't found anything to like about the HEOS side of things, as in the network control side rather than the wireless speakers that is.

I set mine up to work by voice using Alexa>Harmony but to be honest I don't rarely use it.
Yeah. It's nothing show stopper. On the weekends while trying to create a "Routine" on my Google Home and Echo, I thought of giving this a try. :)

Lol, missed that, guess he was off on every count :)

No, not at all.

You set up your system according to whose advice you prefer.

I wouldn't force the PS4 to output DD or DTS, as per your link, as they may not be the native otpions on the disc.

Pee'd off with my own X4500H going belly up and currently working its way back to PT🤬.

No, not at all.

You set up your system according to whose advice you prefer.

I wouldn't force the PS4 to output DD or DTS, as per your link, as they may not be the native otpions on the disc.

Pee'd off with my own X4500H going belly up and currently working its way back to PT🤬.

The configurations outlined via the link do not force the console to output DD or DTS. The configurations set the console to BITSTREAM whatever audio format is selected. It should also be noted that the configurations would also not effect game audio and this would still be output as multichannel PCM irrespective of the outlined BITSTREAM configuration.

The console has no ability to encode anything as Dolby Digital or DTS so it cannot rencode another format or PCM as being DD or DTS. The BITSTREAM option simply results in the audio being output as it was encoded as opposed to the console decoding it prior to outputting it. You can force the console to bitstream the audio associated with games, but not in the manner outlined via the link.

There's absolutely no benefit or reason not to configure the PS4 to bistream the audio accessed via Blu-ray discs as outlined via the link.

Maybe you are unaware as to what bitstreaming actually is? This article may help if this is the case:

There's also a pre existing AVForums thread on this topic here:

You are correct in not bitstreaming the games audio though. This is because the console sometimes generates sounds that it needs to mix into the soundtrack and it wouldn't be able to mix these PCM formatted effects into the audio sourced off the disc if the sourced audio were formatted as anything but PCM. This is why the console ordinarily decodes all games audio itself and why the settings outlined by Denon have no effect upon games audio.

Last edited:
Hello friends,
I have few questions. 😊

We already know that it's best not to increase the input level as it will introduce noise and tend to clip if the main volume is also increased along with it.

Q1) other than what the manual says, "use the input level to balance diff volume level between sources", --is this setting similar to the gain control we see on many power amps?

Q2) there is another setting which is channel level where for each source the channel levels can be increased/decreased. Please note, this is not the speaker level adjustment under the main menu. -If I increase this channel levels to say 10/12db the sound quality becoming more punchy and more dynamic. When I did this, the main LR speaker levels are set @ -5.5db by Audessy.
With these settings when the master volume is at -20db the sound is quite loud and I can feel there is still huge headroom.

What exactly happening here ? Is this ok to do ? Or this is also not recommended like the input volume ?

Please share your views, thoughts, experiences.

Cheers.
Partha

I am new with my Denon x4500 and I previously owned a Yamaha A1070
Denon has good surround sound, but I am missing Yamaha's musical, clarity in its sound

If I get a Yamaha amplifier R-N803 or AS801, will I be able to get back Yamaha's musical sound? or is the amp only going to provide power to my front speakers without any Yamaha's signature sound??

Denon has good surround sound, but I am missing Yamaha's musical, clarity in its sound

If I get a Yamaha amplifier R-N803 or AS801, will I be able to get back Yamaha's musical sound? or is the amp only going to provide power to my front speakers without any Yamaha's signature sound??
Hi,
You are almost similar to my situation 😊
I upgraded my 18yrs old Yamaha DSP AT to Denon 4500 and missed the Yamaha sound signature instantly.
The 4500 just lacks the body in its sound field.
But it excels in surround sound and crispness.
After a lot of browsing through various forums, youtube videos, self study, changing speaker and subwoofer placements and running Adudessy multiple times finally I am happy with my Denon. 😊
I strongly recommend you to run Audessy. It will make a day/night difference, if already not done. Follow the exact recommend steps while running Audessy. Like quitest environment possible, switch off all electrical equipments in your home (AC, refrigerator, fans, lights) , keep your ph on flight mode.
While running Audessy if there is some sudden outside noise, repeat the steps when the sound is gone.
Yes, I still feel there is not enough headroom to drive my B&W 603s and HTM6, thats why I posted a question recently here and waiting for answers suggestion.
I may add a 3 channel power amp later if required and fits my budget.
But if I buy the power amp that will be either Anthem, ATI or Parasound.
Cheers.
Partha

You should be a Yamaha stereo amp that has HT by-pass so that you can connect to the Denon's front pre-outs. You then connect your music sources to Yamaha and the front speakers to the Yamaha. For music you just use the Yamaha and for film both the Denon and the Yamaha would be used. It's simple and easy to use. The Yamaha model you would need is the AS1000 (upwards).

You should be a Yamaha stereo amp that has HT by-pass so that you can connect to the Denon's front pre-outs. You then connect your music sources to Yamaha and the front speakers to the Yamaha. For music you just use the Yamaha and for film both the Denon and the Yamaha would be used. It's simple and easy to use. The Yamaha model you would need is the AS1000 (upwards).

Does it mean that I can get back the Yamaha's signature sound when watching movie, or does it just simply provide power to the speakers?

Does it mean that I can get back the Yamaha's signature sound when watching movie, or does it just simply provide power to the speakers?
The Yamaha will act as a power amp with film, the audio signature will still be influenced by the Denon as the Yamaha's pre-amp will be by-passed.

I had the A1020 for years and was very pleased by it. But I set up another plan to increase performance, both playing films as listening stereo. Replacing the A1020 would have cost me €1500, so I went for the X4500H for less then €1000 and I'm going to add a stereo amp with HT bypass later. This is what Gibsy also proposes. But although I love the Yamaha sound, I heard other amps who have a comparable signature, but have more detail and dynamics (I will almost certainly go for a Hegel integrated).
But the the Denon arrived, I was rather impressed by the sound of the X4500H. I find it more powerful and with great detail. So I'm not really missing the Yamaha... Maybe my A1020 was not 100% anymore??

Hi,
You are almost similar to my situation 😊
I upgraded my 18yrs old Yamaha DSP AT to Denon 4500 and missed the Yamaha sound signature instantly.
The 4500 just lacks the body in its sound field.
But it excels in surround sound and crispness.
After a lot of browsing through various forums, youtube videos, self study, changing speaker and subwoofer placements and running Adudessy multiple times finally I am happy with my Denon. 😊
I strongly recommend you to run Audessy. It will make a day/night difference, if already not done. Follow the exact recommend steps while running Audessy. Like quitest environment possible, switch off all electrical equipments in your home (AC, refrigerator, fans, lights) , keep your ph on flight mode.
While running Audessy if there is some sudden outside noise, repeat the steps when the sound is gone.
Yes, I still feel there is not enough headroom to drive my B&W 603s and HTM6, thats why I posted a question recently here and waiting for answers suggestion.
I may add a 3 channel power amp later if required and fits my budget.
But if I buy the power amp that will be either Anthem, ATI or Parasound.
Cheers.
Partha

We are on the same boat... after some changing I feel that it's slightly better, but I still miss Yamaha =/

The Yamaha will act as a power amp with film, the audio signature will still be influenced by the Denon as the Yamaha's pre-amp will be by-passed.

Thanks for your suggestion, will try to look for a pre-amp :)

Jeez these Denons run out, should I be worried?
Ventilation is so important. The Denon has a good safety shut down but a properly installed unit should never have to rely on it.

Hi,
I currently own a Yamaha RX-A850 running B&W M1s (mk2) with a B.K. Electronics Xls200 in a 5.1 set up. I’m looking to upgrade to a Denon avr 3600 or 4500 based on all the reviews /awards etc.
My question is whether I should stick with Yamaha and get the rxa1080 or move to Denon. If I move to Denon which unit it the better option?
Also, I feel like I’m lacking bass so looking to upgrade to a Svs sb-3000. Is this the right route or should I go dual xls200? Room size 1900 cubic feet. My goal is a 5.1.4 Atmos set up ( in ceiling speakers)
Thanks
T

Hi,
I currently own a Yamaha RX-A850 running B&W M1s (mk2) with a B.K. Electronics Xls200 in a 5.1 set up. I’m looking to upgrade to a Denon avr 3600 or 4500 based on all the reviews /awards etc.
My question is whether I should stick with Yamaha and get the rxa1080 or move to Denon. If I move to Denon which unit it the better option?
Also, I feel like I’m lacking bass so looking to upgrade to a Svs sb-3000. Is this the right route or should I go dual xls200? Room size 1900 cubic feet. My goal is a 5.1.4 Atmos set up ( in ceiling speakers)
Thanks
T
The Yamaha RX-A1080,2080 and 3080 can’t deliver 5.1.4. This is also the reason why I sold my beloved RX-A1020 and bought the Denon.
Probably the SVS will deliver what you need. But I never heard an SVS. But a B&W AS610XP is also a great subwoofer (and many others, but if you want to stick with B&W).
Position of your sub is important...

Hi,
Thanks
T

If wanting a 9 channel 5.1.4 setup then you'd need at least the RXA2080 if sticking with Yamaha. The A1080 is only a 7 channel receiver.

I'd suggest the Yamaha receivers to be better sounding than the DEnon options so maybe also look at the Marantz SR6014 as an alternative to the Denon AVRX3600. Marantz receivers are said by many to be better sounding than their comparative Denon models. Maybe even look at the slightly older SR6013 which you can currently get for £700.

The Yamaha RX-A1080,2080 and 3080 can’t deliver 5.1.4.

Both the A2080 and the A3080 can facilitate you with 5.1.4 out of the box. Only the A3080 would also allow you to add additional amplfication to give you an 11 channel setup though.

The Yamaha RX-A1080,2080 and 3080 can’t deliver 5.1.4. This is also the reason why I sold my beloved RX-A1020 and bought the Denon.
Probably the SVS will deliver what you need. But I never heard an SVS. But a B&W AS610XP is also a great subwoofer (and many others, but if you want to stick with B&W).
Position of your sub is important...
Thanks man.
I do love the Yamaha sound signature and only started looking at Denon due to raved reviews and features set. I don’t plan to upgrade for a while so need an amp that’s going to be future proof too. Did you miss the sound on your Yamaha when moving to Denon? What was the thing that stood out most? I’ve looked at that B&W sub but looking for one with more modern feature like the svs app control etc

If wanting a 9 channel 5.1.4 setup then you'd need at least the RXA2080 if sticking with Yamaha. The A1080 is only a 7 channel receiver.

I'd suggest the Yamaha receivers to be better sounding than the DEnon options so maybe also look at the Marantz SR6014 as an alternative to the Denon AVRX3600. Marantz receivers are said by many to be better sounding than their comparative Denon models. Maybe even look at the slightly older SR6013 which you can currently get for £700.
Thanks
I’ll add Marantz to the short list as I’m going to go audition these amps soon

Thanks
I’ll add Marantz to the short list as I’m going to go audition these amps soon
If stereo music is going to play an important part then yes the Marantz are better. For just film and TV then the Denon models are usually slightly cheaper and represent better value with the same audio performance.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom