Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

Hi All

I have had an AVR x4500 since July 2019. Everything worked fine until this morning. I tried to switch the unit on andthe yellow/green power light came on after flashing a few times. Theres no sound, nothing on the front display and nothing via the HDMI output on the TV.

I have performed several resets as per the manual and also disconnected all speaker wires in case it was a short that was causing a problem, but it has not made any difference.

Anyone have any other suggestions I can try before I return it the vendor?
With no flashing red light then it sounds like a power supply problem that has to be a warranty repair.

Hello All
Please excuse me if this has be covered. I could not seem to find in as it pertains to my exact issue.
I have the Panasonic DP-UB820 and the Denon AVR X4500. When I select the Dobly Atmos audio on any UHD Blu ray (Godzilla King of Monsters, for example), The 820 seems to output TrueHD and when I look on the Denon, I do not see Dobly Atmos, only Dobly TrueHD. I have done the factory reset on the Panasonic UB820. Set the audio output to Bitstream and tuned off Secondary audio output as suggested from many members from this super helpful forum. As a point of reference, I am also using an Apple TV 4K into the {Media Center INPUT} of the Denon and am getting Dolby Atmos from Disney Plus, Netflix, etc. The Panasonic is connected to the {Blu-Ray INPUT} and I am using just the HDMI out on the Panasonic labeled (Video and Audio). I have that output set to Auto and the Audio output set to Audio only on the Panasonic. Is there some other Denon setting that I need to check on the Denon AVR to decode and display Dolby Atmos from the UB820 from the Blu-Ray input? Is it possible that particular input (Blu-Ray on the Denon) would not be able to decode the ATMOS signal? Im pretty new to this ATMOS thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Hello All
Please excuse me if this has be covered. I could not seem to find in as it pertains to my exact issue.
I have the Panasonic DP-UB820 and the Denon AVR X4500. When I select the Dobly Atmos audio on any UHD Blu ray (Godzilla King of Monsters, for example), The 820 seems to output TrueHD and when I look on the Denon, I do not see Dobly Atmos, only Dobly TrueHD. I have done the factory reset on the Panasonic UB820. Set the audio output to Bitstream and tuned off Secondary audio output as suggested from many members from this super helpful forum. As a point of reference, I am also using an Apple TV 4K into the {Media Center INPUT} of the Denon and am getting Dolby Atmos from Disney Plus, Netflix, etc. The Panasonic is connected to the {Blu-Ray INPUT} and I am using just the HDMI out on the Panasonic labeled (Video and Audio). I have that output set to Auto and the Audio output set to Audio only on the Panasonic. Is there some other Denon setting that I need to check on the Denon AVR to decode and display Dolby Atmos from the UB820 from the Blu-Ray input? Is it possible that particular input (Blu-Ray on the Denon) would not be able to decode the ATMOS signal? Im pretty new to this ATMOS thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I have the same hardware as you, albeit using the secondary audio-only output from the UB820 to the X4500. Not had any issues with Atmos playback (also tried the video+audio output once) but I don't have that particular UHD title you mentioned.
As Doug confirmed in the UB820 thread, your player settings are correct.
It may be just a case of the AVR remembering your last audio setting for that HDMI input, before you went to an Atmos config.
Maybe try the Movie Audio option on the Denon remote (the green button), there should be a value for Dolby Atmos listed?

Hello All

Silly question, but do you actually have a speaker setup/configuration that is condusive with what is required for Atmos?

The minimum requirement would be at least a 5.1.2 speaker layout and there has to be at least 2 height, upward firing or ceiling speakers within your setup for the receiver to acknowledge the presence of Atmos metadata within the audio being streamed to it. If these speakers were absent then the AV receiver would ignore the Atmos metadata and simply process the TrueHD or DD+ formatted audio it was packaged with.

You say that you get Atmos in association with other sources though so this is more than likely not the issue in your case?

Also ensure that you're not applying Neural:X upmixing to the incoming audio. This would negate the Atmos metadata and result in you just getting TrueHD plus Neural:X upmixing.

Hello All
As above. If you have the player set to bitstream and the correct set up and configured speaker layout the receiver will automatically show as playing Atmos from those discs that includes the format. Same is true for films with a DTS:X soundtrack. To enable Atmos you have to have a minimum set up of 5.1.2, that's five floor speakers and two in the Atmos domain either in or on the ceiling, upfiring modules or speakers set high on the wall and angled towards the MLP.

One other thing I noticed just now, about remembered audio upmixing selections:
Two evenings ago, watched a movie with Atmos, had the audio on the AVR set to output Atmos.
Yesterday evening, watched something with DDP; default upmix was DDP+Dolby Surround, which I changed to DDP+Neural-X.
Now went back to an Atmos soundtrack, and the AVR decided to output TrueHD+Neural-X, had to change it manually to Atmos.
Checking a DDP source again, this was reverted to DDP+DS.

Didn't really expect the upmix setting applied to DDP sources to carry over to Atmos sources and vice-versa, they're not quite the same thing :confused: It defeats the purpose of remembering user choices...

DDP? There's no such format so unsure as to what format you are referring to? Do you mean DD+ (Dolby Digital Plus)?

Yes, I'd already posted that applying Neural:X to the Atmos sundtrack would negate the Atmos metadata and result in you just getting TrueHD plus Neural_X upmixing. The receiver retains the last mode applied and will not prioritise Atmos over Neural:X.

If you leave Dolby Surround iupmixing engaged then Atmos would be prioritised and this would override the upmizing if and when Atmos metadata is detected by the AV receiver, but Neural:X is a DTS upmixing mode and receivers do not prioritise Atmos over and above this particularliar iupmixing mode. The same is true of Dolby Surround if applied to DTS:X soundtracks. THe receiver would ignore the DTS:X metadata and priotitise the Dolby Surround upmixing, resulting in you getting DTS-HD Master Audio plus Dolby Surround Upmixing and not DTS:X.

Last edited:
Sorry, DDP = Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3)
These are standard 5.1 mixes, without object-based audio data (those are identified as E-AC-3 JOC (Dolby Digital Plus with Dolby Atmos).

What I was trying to say was I never applied Neural:X to Atmos, only to a Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 track. By default these get upmixed with Dolby Surround.
I expected my choice of Neural:X for DDP to stick with just that type of audio, not to be applied automatically to Atmos audio as well.

I suppose the selections we make are applied to the whole family of sources: one setting for all Dolby, one setting for all DTS, one setting for all PCM, one setting for all Auro (if the latter can even be changed, I don't have any track to test).

Last edited:
It is more commonly referred to as DD+.

Atmos is simply metadata packaged with either Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus (DD+). There's also Atmos in conjunction with PCM using Dolby MAT, but this is used less often:

Dolby Atmos in Dolby TrueHD
Dolby has expanded the Dolby TrueHD format to allow the format to support Dolby Atmos content on Blu-ray and ultra high definition Blu-ray Disc. Prior to Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD provided lossless support for channel-based audio, such as 5.1 and 7.1. Now we have added a fourth substream for Dolby Atmos sound in Dolby TrueHD codec to enable a support for a losslessly encoded object-based sound mix.

Dolby Atmos in Dolby TrueHD is transmitted from a Blu-ray player or Ultra HD Blu-ray player to your AVR via an HDMI connection. If your AVR supports Dolby Atmos, the Dolby TrueHD object-based audio and related metadata will be decoded, processed, scaled, and rendered to your specific speaker configuration. Dolby Atmos audio can be encoded with Dolby TrueHD at multiple sampling rates (including 48 and 96 kHz) and bit depths (16- and 24-bit).
Dolby Atmos enabled receivers will also support legacy Dolby TrueHD bitstreams at multiple sampling rates (including 48, 96, and 192 kHz) and bit depths (16-, 20-, and 24-bit) to provide full backward compatibility with legacy Blu-ray Disc media and Dolby TrueHD music files.

Dolby Atmos in Dolby Digital Plus
Dolby Digital Plus has been updated and features a new decoder capable of processing content encoded for Dolby Atmos. This module uses new bitstream metadata to extract Dolby Atmos object-based audio and outputs this information for further signal processing. The sampling rate for Dolby Atmos content is 48 kHz, the same sample rate as for Dolby Digital Pluscontent.

Both new audio decoders are designed to be fully backward compatible with legacy channel-based Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD soundtracks.

Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT
The Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission (Dolby MAT) encoder resides in a Blu-ray player to pack the variable bit-rate Dolby TrueHD bitstreams for transmission over the fixed bit-rate HDMI connections. A MAT decoder is subsequently employed in an AVR to unpack the Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. With the introduction of Dolby Atmos, we have expanded this technology to support encoding of Dolby Atmos content as lossless pulse-code modulation (PCM) audio.

A key benefit of Dolby MAT 2.0 is that Dolby Atmos object-based audio can be live encoded and transmitted from a source device with limited latency and processing complexity. Among the possible sources are broadcast set-top boxes, PCs, and game consoles. The Dolby MAT 2.0 decoder in an AVR outputs the object-based audio and its metadata for further processing. The Dolby MAT 2.0 container is scalable and leverages the full potential of the HDMI audio pipeline.

What I was trying to say was I never applied Neural:X to Atmos, only to a Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 track. By default these get upmixed with Dolby Surround.
I expected my choice of Neural:X for DDP to stick with just that type of audio, not to be applied automatically to Atmos audio as well.

I suppose the selections we make are applied to the whole family of sources: one setting for all Dolby, one setting for all DTS, one setting for all PCM, one setting for all Auro (if the latter can even be changed, I don't have any track to test).

It doesn't matter, the source retains the last mode you used and doesn't revert back to no upmixing after you've finished with that particular soundtrack. It makes no odds as to what format the audio was or if the subsequent format is the same or different, the last upmixing mode engaged will still be applied to the next format the receiver detects.

The only source format that wouldn't be subject to Dolby Surround Upmixing is Atmos and the only format imune from Neural:X is DTS:X, but if you use the DTS upmixing on Atmos then the Atmos metadata is ignored and if you use the Dolby upmixing on DTS:X then the DTS:X metadata is ignored.

Last edited:
Yes, I knew about the DD+ abbreviation but DDP+Neural:X is easier to read than DD++Neural:X :)
What I was thinking (hoping) it would do is to retain my upmix choices for each format, i.e. leave Atmos and DTS-X untouched because I didn't modify them, apply Neural:X to DD+ because that's what I selected, apply Neural:X to DTS and DTS-HD because that's the default and I didn't modify it.
Instead what it does is takes my choice from the last Dolby track and applies it to all Dolby formats, and it takes one DTS choice and applies it to all their formats.

No, it just cpnfuses people. If there are existing abreviations then I'd suggest you use them as opposed to rewriting the format as something you yourself have invented. No one else is using the abreviation you've decided to use and people are unlikely to know what you are trying to convey if they've no idea what it is you are saying.

Simply say "applying Neural:X to DD+","Dolby Digital Plus + Neural:X" or "DD+ upmixed using Neural:X". :)

Last edited:
No, it just cpnfuses people. If there are existing abreviations then I'd suggest you use them as opposed to rewriting the format as something you yourself have invented. No one else is using the abreviation you've decided to use and people are unlikely to know what you are trying to convey if they've no idea what it is you are saying.

Simply say "applying Neural:X to DD+","Dolby Digital Plus + Neural:X" or "DD+ upmixed using Neural:X". :)
Erm... no, I didn't invent "DDP". It's used quite often here on the forums:

Is it really?

Surprised to hear that. I wonder how it is I'm not seeing it being used then?

Please post an example or maybe more in order to dismiss it being just once or twice. The search you made appears to only reference the term as used by you within this thread or my replies to your posts?

It is commonly referrred to using the abbreviation DD+ and not DDP.

The search you made appears to only reference the term as used by you within this thread or my replies to your posts?

Try Google and then relate to me how many times you get a hit that references Dolby Digital Plus useing the search term DDP. :)

Last edited:
There are 8 pages of results for me. Oldest reference to Dolby Digital Plus as DDP being from 2006. I didn't even have an account back then.
And it's not just unknown forum members using it, you'll see hits for some of Trollslayer's posts, for example.
Plenty of search results over at "the other forum" too, but... never mind.

OK peeps. Let's keep this thread on topic and not argue about how formats are to be referred to. Thank you.:smashin:

Can I refer to Atmos as pickled onion flavour from now on in then?

Hello All
Try the Apple TV hdmi lead on the 820?? Might be a faulty hdmi if you have tried all the above suggestions

Ordered up a 4500 from Peter Tyson today, have to say they do have great customer service.

I was debating on waiting until they come down to £850, like the 4400 did.... But after Seven oaks sound said they only have 4 left in the warehouse I ordered up!

I recently bought this receiver. I noticed that the x3600h has hdcp 2.3 compatibility, do you think the x4500h can be updated by firmware to support it?

I don't think so.

I recently bought this receiver. I noticed that the x3600h has hdcp 2.3 compatibility, do you think the x4500h can be updated by firmware to support it?

Whether it can or it can't isn't the question. The issue is that Denon aren't updating it and have no plans to do so. Yamaha managed to give models dating back 3 years HDCP 2.3 compliance so I'd assume it isn't a major endeavour to enable this, but DEnon appear to have reserved this for just their most current models?

Can it be updated? Probably, but Denon have no plans to do so.

I doubt that it would effect anyone anyway? Even Yamaha are finding it hard to explain exactly what advantage there is to having the update:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom