Denon AVR-X4500H Owners Thread

The 4500 will be considerably better than the X2700 as it is two tiers above that model in the Denon model range.
I appreciate it is true, but given the speakers I use (tiny little boston acoustic soundware xs's), i presume the improvement in tech from 2700 to 4500 would be lost on me - the speakers being a weak link. Unfortunately new speakers are not on the horizon, but equally I'm satisfied with performance through my current Denon X2200W. Do you think I'd notice the improvement to 4500 with my speakers?

I have a 6500 and have my 4K player direct to my TV for HDR10+ when it eventually gets a firmware upgrade which has been promised for the last two years. Not too worried as I only have two HDR10+ titles anyway.
yes, this is the other option and is quite tempting, but as and when other product adds 10+ I'd want the AVR to handle it. Perhaps it'll be a while before that's the case though...

I appreciate it is true, but given the speakers I use (tiny little boston acoustic soundware xs's), i presume the improvement in tech from 2700 to 4500 would be lost on me - the speakers being a weak link. Unfortunately new speakers are not on the horizon, but equally I'm satisfied with performance through my current Denon X2200W. Do you think I'd notice the improvement to 4500 with my speakers?

yes, this is the other option and is quite tempting, but as and when other product adds 10+ I'd want the AVR to handle it. Perhaps it'll be a while before that's the case though...
Have to agree with the limitations of the Bostons. If you bought a 4500 it would have you chaffing at the bit to get better speakers simply because the 4500 deserve it. Saying that you should hear a difference as the 4500 has a far superior processor with AL32 so if nothing else soundstage steering is going to be much better.

You only have to purchase the front three as part of a gradual speaker upgrade.

Torn between a 3600 and 4500 - only around £100 in it at the moment.

Last edited:
For £100 I wouldn't be. Has to be the 4500.

You‘re right. Mainly because of AL32 and higher power rating? Keeping a daily eye on prices - hoping it’ll come down a bit more once the latest models hit the shelves.

Peter Tyson offered me the 4500 for same price as 3600 (£749) when I emailed to ask about 3600 stock availability yesterday - I turned them down purely because warranty 3 years vs 6 years (originally 2, but they offered to up to 3 years)

Worth a look if anyone wants a 4500 cheaper than list price

Last edited:
I am curious to know if you can connect and stream video files from Plex etc.

I am curious to know if you can connect and stream video files from Plex etc.

No av receiver includes integral video playback and you'd need an external player to play video files.

Sony used to make a high end flagship model that did this, but they were the only manufacturer to ever do so and even they desisted from doing so.

A
No av receiver includes integral video playback and you'd need an external player to play video files.

Sony used to make a high end flagship model that did this, but they were the only manufacturer to ever do so and even they desisted from doing so.
Ah many thanks Dante

Peter Tyson offered me the 4500 for same price as 3600 (£749) when I emailed to ask about 3600 stock availability yesterday - I turned them down purely because warranty 3 years vs 6 years (originally 2, but they offered to up to 3 years)

Worth a look if anyone wants a 4500 cheaper than list price
That's a good offer. Wish I'd phoned them rather than buy their Open Box 4500 for £799 10 days ago. Never mind, still happy with purchase.

That's a good offer. Wish I'd phoned them rather than buy their Open Box 4500 for £799 10 days ago. Never mind, still happy with purchase.
I was going to purchase from Peter Tyson but waited too long for a price drop and missed out on a silver 4500 as they went out of stock so instead purchased at £849 silver 4500 new with the 2 year warranty from Hi Fi Confidential.

you get 14 days to return under consumer contract regulations if you didn’t buy in person...

you get 14 days to return under consumer contract regulations if you didn’t buy in person...

Thanks for advice. I had thought of that but as item has been unpacked and set up and adding delivery costs, I decided to let go the £40 saving.
Does teach me not too be so shy and phone up to see what best offer maybe rather than waiting for things like open box offers ;-)

Have to agree with the limitations of the Bostons. If you bought a 4500 it would have you chaffing at the bit to get better speakers simply because the 4500 deserve it. Saying that you should hear a difference as the 4500 has a far superior processor with AL32 so if nothing else soundstage steering is going to be much better.

You only have to purchase the front three as part of a gradual speaker upgrade.
That last paragraph sent me down a google rabbit warren exploring options these last nights! Seems past tricky01 (Friday: “Unfortunately new speakers are not on the horizon”) wasn’t looking at the right horizon...

I’m now soon to receive the x4500h and a host of definitive technology speakers to try (1x procenter 1000, 2x pro monitor 1000s and 4x pro monitor 800s), with the Boston acoustics picking up the 4 atmos overheads. Not a huge amount of reviews out there on those DTs but what there is sounds positive, and price wise I think I’ve done well. £960 for the AVR and all speakers after £180 px for my x2200w seems good :)

Last edited:
Hi,
I setting my x4500h AVR today and this is the picture I am seeing. Any thoughts?
My input device is a UB-820 Blu-ray player into the blu-ray HDMI port on the AVR and I have connected TV (GZ950) via ARC.

Attachments

• 8646D6DB-0005-4778-A52D-81014618A7B9.jpeg
    8646D6DB-0005-4778-A52D-81014618A7B9.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 50576827-E391-489A-97C6-E9BAF70F22BF.jpeg
    50576827-E391-489A-97C6-E9BAF70F22BF.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 59
Hi,
I setting my x4500h AVR today and this is the picture I am seeing. Any thoughts?
My input device is a UB-820 Blu-ray player into the blu-ray HDMI port on the AVR and I have connected TV (GZ950) via ARC.
Not sure of the cause, but The Ub820 has two hdmi outs, you could try running the audio to the x4500 and the picture direct to the tv. MightHelp you work out the root cause. The x4500h won’t pass through HDR10+ if you have it anyway, so can be better solution long term.

Hi,
Do you certified high speed cables, 18gb?

using these cables
Cable Matters 3-Pack 48Gbps Ultra... Amazon product ASIN B081NXV3ZR
it seems it related to the AVR because it displays fine when I bypass the AVR and connect directly to TV. I have reset all devices and still the same.
I bought the same at the weekend and they work great with my 4k Apple TV, x2200 and 2018 Samsung q7fn so should be fine with your newer tech across the board.

mout of interest, what’s the Blu-ray you’re playing and have you tried plugging into a different input on the x4500?

I bought the same at the weekend and they work great with my 4k Apple TV, x2200 and 2018 Samsung q7fn so should be fine with your newer tech across the board
That’s good to know. Everything was working ok lastnight and then today it stopped working for whatever reason. I can’t even display the Denon setup screen to have a look at the display settings.

Turn the tv and avr off and pull the avr power lead for a few mins then plug back in and switch on again see if that resets the avr.

HDMI cables cannot be verified as being reliable just by accepting that they hey work in association with different hardware combinations. I'd still suggest you try different cables. Maybe try a couple of Amazon's own Basics HDMI cables if not yet requireing 8K compliant cables. These are both affordable and reliable. The AVRX3500 is and always will be limited to 19Gbps max and will never ever be able to exploit 48Gbps cables.

HDMI cables cannot be verified as being reliable just by accepting that they work if they work in association with different hardware combinations. I'd still suggest you try different cables. Maybe try a couple of Amazon's own Basics HDMI cables if not yet requireing 8K compliant cables. These are both affordable and reliable.
Fair point, my main gist though was that they were indeed capable of 18gbps - I had my doubts at the price when I bought them tbh

Last edited:
The fact is that you'll nort need 48 Gbps and only need HIGH SPEED 18Gbps cables if using this AV receiver. THe bandwidth woukldn't make these cables any more reliable anyway and they could be crap irrespective of the bandwidth claims.

That’s good to know. Everything was working ok lastnight and then today it stopped working for whatever reason. I can’t even display the Denon setup screen to have a look at the display settings.
Don't forget to set Blu-ray to Enhanced

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom