Answered Denon AVR-X4500H with power amp to get 7.1.4 Atmos

Terrytibbs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm just in the middle of refurbishing the family room and not sure to go for Atmos 5.1.4 or 7.1.4. Does anyone know if the Denon AVR-X4500H together with a stereo power amplifier for front left/right channels achieve 7.1.4?

I know it can achieve 7.1.4 with a 2 channel power amplifier for 2 of the ceiling speakers and the 4 height speaker outputs are labelled as assignable but if I use the pre-outs for front L/R can the Denon amps be assigned to power all for 4 ceiling speakers as well as the centre, surround L/R and surround back L/R?

I have an Audiolab 8300a that can function as a power amp for front L/R. I have 4 ceiling speakers already installed and I'm looking at Q Acoustics 3050i Cinema pack plus an extra pair of 3010i.

Not bought the Denon AVR-X4500H but its the top of my list.

Many thanks in advance.

Hi all, I'm just in the middle of refurbishing the family room and not sure to go for Atmos 5.1.4 or 7.1.4. Does anyone know if the Denon AVR-X4500H together with a stereo power amplifier for front left/right channels achieve 7.1.4?

I know it can achieve 7.1.4 with a 2 channel power amplifier for 2 of the ceiling speakers and the 4 height speaker outputs are labelled as assignable but if I use the pre-outs for front L/R can the Denon amps be assigned to power all for 4 ceiling speakers as well as the centre, surround L/R and surround back L/R?

I have an Audiolab 8300a that can function as a power amp for front L/R. I have 4 ceiling speakers already installed and I'm looking at Q Acoustics 3050i Cinema pack plus an extra pair of 3010i.

Not bought the Denon AVR-X4500H but its the top of my list.

Many thanks in advance.

short answer is Yes...

It can process up to 11 channels and power 9 with a 2ch amp it will be able to power and process all 11ch's plus process 2 ( independent ) sub pre out's, how you choose to assign those channels is up to you.

Online Manual: DENON UK

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks AudioWave, that is the answer I was hoping for - being able to assign all the amps and speaker outputs as I wish.

Hi,
While adding a 3 channel power amp with the Denon 4500, how do I make the 4500 understand/configure to not use the inbuilt LCR amps and use the preouts instead ?
Thanks much,
Partha

Hi,
While adding a 3 channel power amp with the Denon 4500, how do I make the 4500 understand/configure to not use the inbuilt LCR amps and use the preouts instead ?
Thanks much,
Partha
The 4500 always sends the signals continuously to both speaker outputs as preouts. But you have to repeat the Audessey calibration after you switch from one to the other.

Hi,
Thanks much,
Partha
My Onkyo TXRZ1100 has a dedicated preamp mode. If you set the amp as having external amplification for your front L/R, it will switch off the internal amplifiers to the two front channels. If you set the pre-outs as LCR, it will switch off all the internal amplification to the LCR. If you set the pre-out as ALL, it will switch off ALL internal amplification which then allows you to use the receiver purely as a processor. It's a stonking AVR and I love it.

Hi,
Thanks much,
Partha

I watched this earlier today for an unrelated reason, but I think it might answer your query - can't imagine that Denon changed the process masively between thr 4400 and the 4500 but I'm willing to be wrong on it and I'm sure someone will step in if I am!

Hello, I have a home theater system in configuration 5.1.4 with Klipsch speakers ( R-51; R-52; R-41; CDT 5650 and R-100SW ). Wanting to upgrade to 7.1.4, I'm looking for a proper (but not disproportionate) stereo ending that will have to "serve" the 2 rear ceiling speakers. Or a better-performing one for the two fronts. Do you have any solutions to recommend? I thought, for the front, of something like this...
GEMINI XGA 3000 FINAL AMP DEMO STEREO NEW OFFICIAL WARRANTY - GABRIELE MASELLI SOUND WORKSHOP
[UNfurl URL : "true"] Crown XLi 800 [/ URL]
[UNfurl URL : "true"] BEHRINGER KM750 [/ URL]
Thanks to those who want to help me...

Last edited:
Salve, ho un impianto home theatre in configurazione 5.1.4 con diffusori Klipsch ( R-51; R-52; R-41; CDT 5650 e R-100SW ) . Volendo fare un upgrade a 7.1.4, sto cercando un finale stereo adeguato (ma non sproporzionato) che dovrĂ  "servire" i 2 diffusori a soffitto posteriori. Oppure uno piĂą performante per i due frontali. Avete soluzioni da potermi consigliare? Avevo pensato, per i frontali, a qualcosa del genere...
GEMINI XGA 3000 DEMO AMPLIFICATORE FINALE STEREO NUOVO GARANZIA UFFICIALE - OFFICINA DEL SUONO DI GABRIELE MASELLI
[URL unfurl = "true"] Crown XLi 800 [/ URL]
[URL unfurl = "true"] BEHRINGER KM750 [/ URL]
Grazie a coloro che vorranno darmi una mano...
Hello, I have a home theater system in configuration 5.1.4 with Klipsch speakers ( R-51; R-52; R-41; CDT 5650 and R-100SW ). Wanting to upgrade to 7.1.4, I'm looking for a proper (but not disproportionate) stereo ending that will have to "serve" the 2 rear ceiling speakers. Or a better-performing one for the two fronts. Do you have any solutions to recommend? I thought, for the front, of something like this...
GEMINI XGA 3000 FINAL AMP DEMO STEREO NEW OFFICIAL WARRANTY - GABRIELE MASELLI SOUND WORKSHOP
[UNfurl URL : "true"] Crown XLi 800 [/ URL]
[UNfurl URL : "true"] BEHRINGER KM750 [/ URL]
Thanks to those who want to help me...

Grazie a coloro che vorranno darmi una mano...
Welcome to the Forum.

Would it be possible for you to post in English as the vast majority of members are English speaking. It would make it easier for you to get answers. I used Google translate.

Sarebbe possibile per voi di postare in inglese come la stragrande maggioranza dei membri sono di lingua inglese. Sarebbe piĂą facile per voi per ottenere risposte. Ho usato Google translate.

Welcome to the Forum.

Would it be possible for you to post in English as the vast majority of members are English speaking. It would make it easier for you to get answers. I used Google translate.

Sarebbe possibile per voi di postare in inglese come la stragrande maggioranza dei membri sono di lingua inglese. Sarebbe piĂą facile per voi per ottenere risposte. Ho usato Google translate.
Thanks so much! I thought you did ... Sorry and thank you again

Hi All.
I am just setting up a dedicated room with 3 XTZ M8 as - behind an AT screen - L/C/R, 4 S5 as surround and 4 S2 as atmos (plus 2 XTZ 12.17 edge sub)
Since my AVR is a Marantz sr6014 I have 11 channels processed but only 9 powered, so I need - at least - a stereo power amp. Or maybe it would be better to power the front stage (L/C/R) with a 3 channel amp or a stereo and a mono from the same brand (or 2 stereos).
I have a budget of maximum EUR 1,500 but would be happy to manage it from less.
I would appreciate your recommendations.
On my list there are the followings but I am open for new ideas:
  1. 2 XTZ Edge A2-300 (one switched to mono for the center): the price is good, but I have read the "ticking" problem and I've also read some critics about "dry" or "too analytic" sound, with "less body"
  2. Emotiva xpa-3 gen3: very close to my price limit, and really heavy and big, but everyone has positive opinion on the net
  3. 2 Crown XLS 2502: more dynamic than XTZ, but not so "clear" and 2*2*440 watts (on 8 ohm) seems a bit of overkill to my small room
  4. Audiophonics mpa-s250nc + m250nc (a stereo and a mono): even cheaper than XTZ Edge and on several forums it's told that the Hypex Ncore architecture is superior compared to the ICE platform with "warmer", "friendlier" sound.
Since I did (and will) not have the chance to try any of them, it would be a great help if you could share any opinions and/or experiences with me.
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the advice ... in the end I kept a behringer KM750 to drive the front panels, replacing, however, the very noisy fan (incompatible, in my opinion, for home cinema listening).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom