Quantcast

Question Denon AVR's vs Yamaha, Sony etc. Zone 2 Speaker Assignment

Tueltime1903

Novice Member
It seems that Denon receivers force you to buy 9.2 receiver for a 5.2.2 setup with zone 2 Audio vs Other Brands that have specific Zone 2 Speaker channel, which can be traded for height speakers. Just trying to confirm this and understand why Denon does this differently

Thanks

gibbsy

Denon's 9 channels amps out of the box, X3600 and X4500. If you wish to use Zone 2 then you do indeed have to sacrifice the second pair of height speakers. The X6500 allows for 7.1.2 with a Zone 2 connected.

Tueltime1903

Novice Member
Thanks for your response, I was referring to the fact that a Yamaha or Sony avr gives you the option with a 7.2 receiver of having 9 speakers wired as opposed to a denon only allowing 7. example: Yamaha 7.2 AVR 5.1.2 with zone 2 speakers = 9 speakers wired. You can use Height or Zone 2 speakers, but all 9 are wired. Denon 7.2 AVR only allows 7 speakers wired. Im only trying to verify that this is the case.

dante01

Distinguished Member
The Yamaha and Sony models you refer to include additional terminals as opposed to a user having to reassign the back terminals relative to their intended use. Yamaha include the additional terminals and the receiver automatically determines where to assign the internal amplification dependant upon the mode you set the receiver to or the format of the incoming audio. If you were for example receiving just 5.1 audio and set to the STRAIGHT mode then you'd still have 2 additional channels of amplifiucation going spare so the AV receiver would assign this to the zone 2 outputs, but if you'd a 7.1 setup when receiving 7.1 encoded audio while in the STRAIGHT mode, the receiver would switch the amplification to the back speaker terminals as opposed to the zone 2 terminals.

Why don't Denon do similar? No idea, but I could suggest that it costs more to implement what Yamaha facilitate so I'd suggest Denon don't do it in order to reduce costs?

Tueltime1903

Novice Member
Thank you Dante, in a 5.1.2 (2 front height) and analog stereo Zone 2 setup, would I be able to switch back and forth from height to Zone 2 as well. Yamaha rx v685 or Sony DN1080.

dante01

Distinguished Member
No idea about the Sony, but the Yamaha can switch its amplification assignments from height/presence to zone 2 on the fly.

Top Bottom