Question Denon AVRX2200W and Apple TV playing Dolby Atmos

fwokinfwok

Standard Member
Reaction score
Should my Denon display 'Dolby Atmos' when I'm watching something recorded in Dolby Atmos..? I have ceiling mounted speakers alongside the usual surround sound speakers and sub but the display just comes up 'Dolby Surround' when watching something in Dolby Atmos.

The AV receiver will show Atmos on its front panel display if and when detecting Atmos metadata sent to it from an Apple TV 4K. The Apple TV does however use Dolby MAT to convey this metadata to an AV receiver via HDMI in conjunction with multichannel PCM data:

Dolby Atmos in Dolby MAT
The Dolby Metadata-enhanced Audio Transmission (Dolby MAT) encoder resides in a Blu-ray player to pack the variable bit-rate Dolby TrueHD bitstreams for transmission over the fixed bit-rate HDMI connections. A MAT decoder is subsequently employed in an AVR to unpack the Dolby TrueHD bitstreams. With the introduction of Dolby Atmos, we have expanded this technology to support encoding of Dolby Atmos content as lossless pulse-code modulation (PCM) audio.

A key benefit of Dolby MAT 2.0 is that Dolby Atmos object-based audio can be live encoded and transmitted from a source device with limited latency and processing complexity. Among the possible sources are broadcast set-top boxes, PCs, and game consoles. The Dolby MAT 2.0 decoder in an AVR outputs the object-based audio and its metadata for further processing. The Dolby MAT 2.0 container is scalable and leverages the full potential of the HDMI audio pipeline.

The ATV also needs to be configured in a certain manner in order for it to output Atmos if and when available:

It would need to be the Apply TV 4K with at least TVOs12. You'd also only get Atmos soundtrack if accessing and playing 4K video content. THe streaming services don't include it with the HD variants of the content they carry.

I’ve suddenly lost the ability to send Atmos to my receiver from my Apple TV . Is stays pcm digital and multi in + surround. No Atmos flag on receiver was fine up until today. I notice I can’t see Atmos on Disney or Netflix either. Works fine on my Xbox connected to same amp. In settings it says Atmos is on . If I click off the setting dissapears. Has something changed an update or something ?

I’ve suddenly lost the ability to send Atmos to my receiver from my Apple TV . Is stays pcm digital and multi in + surround. No Atmos flag on receiver was fine up until today. I notice I can’t see Atmos on Disney or Netflix either. Works fine on my Xbox connected to same amp. In settings it says Atmos is on . If I click off the setting dissapears. Has something changed an update or something ?
Same here...

Sorry to bump this but I’ve come across this issue this evening

I have the latest Apple TV device
It’s connected to my lg c1

I then have arc to my amp, an old denon 2200 that I got down from attic today for first time in years

When playing films purchased via the Apple TV with atmos soundtrack the amps display does not show atmos

It instead shows this

0FAE8EB7-C2C8-4C6B-A69A-515152C9D49E.jpeg

Sorry to bump this but I’ve come across this issue this evening

I have the latest Apple TV device
It’s connected to my lg c1

I then have arc to my amp, an old denon 2200 that I got down from attic today for first time in years

When playing films purchased via the Apple TV with atmos soundtrack the amps display does not show atmos

It instead shows this

View attachment 1670433
Do you have the right number of speakers and set up as 5.1.2 and correctly configured within the Denon?

Do you have the right number of speakers and set up as 5.1.2 and correctly configured within the Denon?

I do yes,
I think it’s likely going to need a factory reset, either the tv or the amp or maybe both.
Guessing something has gotten “stuck”

The ATV doesn't bitstream Atmos and has to convert the DD+ channel based element of the audio package Apple use tp package Atmos to multichannel PCM. It then uses something referred to as Dolby MAT to convey the Atmos metadata along withat the multichannel PCM to to whatever device the ATV is connected to via HDMI.

The AVRX2200 pedates eARC and is only ARC enabled. Conventional ARC cannot carry multichannel PCM and is limited to just 2 channels of PCM data. You cannot convey the multichannel PCM signal you'd need in order to get Atmos through your TV and out to the AV receiver using conventional ARC and you cannot therefore get Atmos from your ATV to the AV receiver if passing that audio through your TV.

The solution in this case would be to connect the ATV directly to the AV receiver via HDMI as opposed to passing the audio through the TV and relying upon ARC.

You'd need eARC to be able to do what you want and your AV receiver isn't eARC enabled.

Last edited:
Dante, as always, thank you.
Appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom