denon avrx250bt configuration issues

Tclarke94

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I recently got a new Denon avrx250bt to replace an old Sony av receiver which had started to cause problems with my old Sony receiver I used the front 3 satilite speakers which came with the receiver and the built in sub in the receiver along with two floor standing tower mordaunt short speakers beside my bed for a 5.1 surround sound. I have transferred all of these speakers to my new Denon amp but if I use any DTS or dolby surround modes the sound from the front becomes very tinny and it is not usable or voices will be quiet and the rest of the depth is there for some reason, if I use multi channel stereo everything sounds fine, does anyone have any solutions as I really hate no longer being able to have a true surround sound

What sub are you using? The Denon receiver onlu fascilitates using an active sub and it sounds as though your previous sub is a passive model? I'd advise that all your speakers be set as SMALL within the AV receiver's configurations, by=ut this isn't going to be possible unless you've an active sub?

Where are you locating the 3 sat speakers you inheroted from your previous receiver? I'm assuming one is being used as the bentre speaker while the other 2 are being used as surrounds?

Are you sure that you've wired the speakers correctly and that they are in phase? Ensure that the speakers all have the positive terminals or connections connected to the same polarity terminals on the AV receiver. If not wired the right way around then the resulting output would be devoid of bass and could should "tinny".

Note that DTS is a format while Dolby Surround is an upmixing mode. If you were using an upmixing mode such as Dolby Surround then the upmix would be heavilly dependant upon the source. Content heavilly inclusive of dialogue for example would predominatly only use the centre speaker.

Was your old Sony system an all in one which came with speakers as a package. Not all of those types of system have suitable speakers for use with a separate amplifier, they can have weird low impedance figures for the speakers and the passive sub is often unusable with anything other than the original amp unit.

A model number or a glance at labels on the speakers could help here, the speakers should be labelled with be labelled with an impedance figure in Ohms.
Your Denon is specified for speakers between 6 and 16 Ohms

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom