Denon DHT-S516H Soundbar Review & Comments

As always a great review thx, I get what Denon are attempting to do, but cant help feel that for that kind of money they have missed both the target and the boat. I suspect, nay believe that most peeps purchasing a soundbar , are rarely buying it for music as there are many better options out there, they are buying it to enhance there tv experience, a target the Denon has missed by not supporting the latest technical trends and codecs.

It's not even a new product though is it - it's just the "Heos Homecinema HS2"...and they're trying to pass it off as something new.

The "Heos Bar" has been re-branded in exactly the same fashion into the DHT-S716H, and likewise the "Heos Sub" has become the DSW-1H.

It's just a touch odd that none of the media has said as much, they've all parrotted that these are new products when they're not.

I still can’t believe how no manufacturer seems be be able to produce a well-rounded soundbar... is it too much to ask for - a 5.1 setup with wireless surround/sub, earc, lossless formats and Atmos, room correction and some decent performance?..

I still can’t believe how no manufacturer seems be be able to produce a well-rounded soundbar... is it too much to ask for - a 5.1 setup with wireless surround/sub, earc, lossless formats and Atmos, room correction and some decent performance?..

Agree. The soundbar market could fall under its own weight, thanks to these companies not getting it right properly. There is always something missing (weak bass, no dedicated sub-out, no dedicated rears, connectivity issues etc.).

Only an “8” ?. Can’t be much good, that’s about as low as anything gets around here.

The new Sonos arc will probably tick most of those boxes, 5.0.2 by itself, sans dts, but full fat atmos and True HD. Very expensive though if you throw in their sub & surrounds.

That expensive, surround lacks, no remote control and it gets "recommended"
If someone wants to listen to music they will surely buy proper speakers not a soundbar?

I think Denon's approach of not trying to do everything is a good idea, things like atmos on a soundbar are gimmick IMO, now maybe they didn't nail it for sound quality, but I think it's the correct approach, make it the best 3.1 system that can be done and put all cost into those drivers and sub.
Perhaps they could have used there HEOS system to add surrounds wirelessly but if one is going down that road an AVR is a be a better investment.

I think Denon's approach of not trying to do everything is a good idea, things like atmos on a soundbar are gimmick IMO, now maybe they didn't nail it for sound quality, but I think it's the correct approach, make it the best 3.1 system that can be done and put all cost into those drivers and sub.
Perhaps they could have used there HEOS system to add surrounds wirelessly but if one is going down that road an AVR is a be a better investment.

Interestingly Dolby themselves say up-firing drivers will give better Atmos effects than overhead speakers if ceiling are 8ft or less, in terms of the sound being non localized. I've heard the sennheisser ambeo and I would agree, amazing atmos, however lack of surrounds was apparent.

Greeting..

I know the topic is as old as the soundbar:D

I listened (a couple of days ago) to the Denon S516H in the store and was impressed with the sound; the sound is woooow..

I wonder if this soundbar is great for movies?
I don't expect dolby (because it doesn't even exist) atmos sound, I'm just curious, does it impress with sound in movies too?
I'm not interested in the sound that thunders and rumbles, the quality of the sound is more important to me.
Do any of you have that soundbar, so you can share your experiences?

Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom