Denon launch DRA-100 network stereo receiver - news discussion

In your opinion is the Denon DRA-100 amp powerful enough for a pair of KEF LS50'S?
I would say no. Just 35 watts into 8 ohms, even with an exceptional power delivery, which I doubt at this price point, it's going to really struggle to do justice to the LS50s. They thrive on power and you should be looking at at least 70 watts, if not more to drive them.

I would say no. Just 35 watts into 8 ohms, even with an exceptional power delivery, which I doubt at this price point, it's going to really struggle to do justice to the LS50s. They thrive on power and you should be looking at at least 70 watts, if not more to drive them.
Oh right, why does Peter tyson and a few other places have them labelled as 70watts per channel?

Edit - I get it, 70 Watts into 4 ohms

Marketing ploy. Because the higher watts displayed grabs your attention more. So more possible sales.
Until you start digging and realise that it depends on the speakers you have or want.

4ohms speakers =70w
8ohms speakers =35w

Marketing ploy. Because the higher watts displayed grabs your attention more. So more possible sales.
Until you start digging and realise that it depends on the speakers you have or want.

4ohms speakers =70w
8ohms speakers =35w
Oh I get it.

Is there anything you could recomend to power the LS50'S? Ideally with airplay. What about the Cyrus One?

Last edited:
Will the Cyrus One do? Enough power? If not is there anything you'd recommend with good streaming capabilities?

Last edited:
I would think so, it's states 100 watts per channel but not into 6 ohms, so around 60 into 8. However the class D amp is very efficient and the toroidal transformer is powerful. I've listened to the Cyrus One, not connected to KEF though and enjoyed the brief listen. I didn't think it was as dynamic as some amps and was more laid back, very similar to Marantz to my ears. It also has HT by-pass which is a real bonus for the price.

Easy to get an audition but take your 50s with you. I can't help you with streaming, I'm firmly stuck in the analogue 20th century, too old to change now. FWIW I drive KEF R300s with a Rega Elicit-R and that combination gives a very dynamic and beautifully controlled listen.

No AirPlay with the Cyrus One, only Bluetooth. Why not look at the Yamaha R-N803D?

No AirPlay with the Cyrus One, only Bluetooth. Why not look at the Yamaha R-N803D?
True I did notice that. However you can get chrome cast with the Cyrus One so I could stream audio from my phone.

Thinking about it now..could you attach a chrome cast to pretty much any amplifier or only certain ones?

Chromecast audio (dongle) is now a discontinued product.
An amplifier that support streaming services directly is the way to go.

Chromecast audio (dongle) is now a discontinued product.
An amplifier that support streaming services directly is the way to go.

While you're right about it being discontinued I still think it's a cracking little device and worth tracking down IMO. It's especially good if you have a DAC or amp with digital inputs but the analogue output is perfectly respectable.

When ever you see "Lifestyle" attached to any product, you are not going to get good value. Now that doesn't mean it doesn't serve a purpose. Many people buy High-Featured/Low-Powered Mini-Amp and are very happy; they do fill a place in the market. But you can usually get better with more power for your money, though perhaps not quite as many features or as compact a size.

I assume the same in the UK/EU, but in the USA if you are going to call your product Hi-Fi, you have to conform to the FTC Standard for Power Testing, which is Full Range to 8 ohms. When you see Mini-Amp and AV Receiver that do not give a Standard 8 ohm rating that is as good as the manufacturer admitting that the product is not High Fidelity.

Now, those NOT Hi-Fi products can still sound very good, but by not conforming to the industry standard and in some cases legal Power Rating, they are admitting the limitation of their product.

This What Hi-Fi? review list the DRA-100 with a suggested Retail Price of £700 -

Denon DRA-100 review

Unless you are absolutely desperate for a compact Amp, I just don't see the value, not when the full-sized high-powered Yamaha RN803 is available for about £570.

MusicCast R-N803D - Overview - Yamaha - UK and Ireland

Now it is entirely possible that the Denon DRA-100 sounds fantastic for a 35w/ch amp with digital features. Perhaps the price is justified. But I just don't see myself paying £700 for a 35w/ch amp. Though I don't fault those who do.

Though listed at £700, Peter Tyson is selling them for £599.

Denon DRA-100

I can see a device like this serving some people in some situations, I just don't think I would ever be one of those people.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom