Denon X2300w, ARC and a new 2019 LG C9 Oled

rousetafarian

Reaction score
Hi,

HDMI cable out from HDMI 2 (Arc) on the new LG OLED TV to the HDMI out on the AVR (the only cable linking the AVR to the TV) and there is no audio from the WebOS Apps via my external speakers.

Other external sources into the AVR HDMI 1 and 2, namely Sky and PS4 work fine, just the apps on the TV.

Any thoughts, it’s driving me mad as I’d like to use the native apps on the Tv, Netflix, Amazon, You Tube etc

Please advise

Regards

Last edited:
CEC turned on, on the TV and amp? -Eliminating all of the usual things.

CEC turned on, on the TV and amp? -Eliminating all of the usual things.
All double checked....Simplink on the LG and HDMI control CEC on the amp all ticked

Not necessarily but it does ensure compliance with HDMI standards and quality of the cable.

Denon ARC can be very temperamental. My 3400 is a nightmare, my 2400 is flawless. If we have a power cut my 3400 has the same problem that you have. I have to power off TV and AVR at the wall and disconnect the HDMI. Leave everything off for 5 Minutes. Power on both with HDMI disconnected. Put both into standby, connect the HDMI lead and 90% of the time audio comes back. If it doesn’t rinse and repeat.

Denon ARC can be very temperamental. My 3400 is a nightmare, my 2400 is flawless. If we have a power cut my 3400 has the same problem that you have. I have to power off TV and AVR at the wall and disconnect the HDMI. Leave everything off for 5 Minutes. Power on both with HDMI disconnected. Put both into standby, connect the HDMI lead and 90% of the time audio comes back. If it doesn’t rinse and repeat.
Good to know, I’ll try this later, many thanks

Denon ARC can be very temperamental.
You're being very kind there. I were certainly preface that reply with a good old Anglo-Saxon word. I've given up long ago and reverted to optical.

You're being very kind there. I were certainly preface that reply with a good old Anglo-Saxon word. I've given up long ago and reverted to optical.
So an optical cable from the TV to my amp would achieve the same results as ARC over HDM?

So an optical cable from the TV to my amp would achieve the same results as ARC over HDM?
Optical can only pass Dolby Digital 5.1. ARC, from your LG is capable of Dolby Digital Plus and it's associated Atmos metadata if present. ARC is therefore better, but so problematic especially with the older Denon models such as yours and my 6200. It's not such a big loss for me as my Panny OLED is not Atmos capable.

To improve your connection a new receiver that is eARC capable would be better as I also believe the LG has that ability.

Optical can only pass Dolby Digital 5.1. ARC, from your LG is capable of Dolby Digital Plus and it's associated Atmos metadata if present. ARC is therefore better, but so problematic especially with the older Denon models such as yours and my 6200. It's not such a big loss for me as my Panny OLED is not Atmos capable.

To improve your connection a new receiver that is eARC capable would be better as I also believe the LG has that ability.
I’d be happy with DD 5.1 tbh, the AVR is only a couple of years old so I’m hesitant to upgrade currently, despite the the brand new LG being eARC

I suspect your TV main PCB. Had my OLED55B8 main board replaced to fix broken ARC. See my post here:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom