DENON X3500H and outputs ZONE 2, PRE OUT

Hi Dante!

The only way to listen to music with TIDAL is to download the HEOS APP on my smartphone?
Is there a way to access TIDAL directly from the DENON connected to the internet?

A last question. After doing the automatic calibration I noticed that the crossover frequency of the front speakers was set to 40hz. Can I change the frequency manually? I would like to manually set the crossover frequency to 80hz for all high-speakers while ignoring the Audissey.

As far as I'm aware, you'd need to use the HEOS app and there's no means to access audio being streamed by Tidal directly to the amp without using an intemediate interface.

Yes and it would be recommended that you do so.. Post calibration, set all speakers as being SMALL and assign them a crossover no lower than that measured as being their roll off or preferably no lower than 80Hz if this is in alignment with what the receiver measured and those speakers' abilities.

Basically, set your speakers to SMALL and then set the crossover to 80Hz.

What you'd be advised not to do is set crossovers below where the calibration resulted in them being set.

You may find the following of interest:

Bass Management and the LFE Channel:

Last edited:
Yes and it would be recommended that you do so.. Post calibration, set all speakers as being SMALL and assign them a crossover no lower than that measured as being their roll off or preferably no lower than 80Hz if this is in alignment with what the receiver measured and those speakers' abilities.

Basically, set your speakers to SMALL and then set the crossover to 80Hz.

What you'd be advised not to do is set crossovers below where the calibration resulted in them being set.

you are always very cute!
the manufacturer recommends 80 hz for my speakers.

I don't understand if I have to set the crossover frequency to 80 hz before or after doing the automatic calibration.

I can post calibration results.

Thanks for the recommended readings.

Always deal with bass management and crossover settings after running the calibration. The calibration erases and discards any setting made prior to it.

Hi.

I own 3 XTZ Cinema M6, 2 XTZ Spirit 2 and a subwoofer 10.17 EDGE.
I did the calibration with the Audyssey XT32 del Denon X3500H.

Before starting the calibration I made the following settings:

1. subwoofer:
- low pass FREQ: 170 hz;
- PHASE: O °;
- GAIN: 12 noon;
- EQ PARAMETERS: OFF;
- LOW PASS: OFF;
- EQ: REF;
- POWER: always on;

2. denon x3500h:
- SUBWOOFER MODE: LFE + MAIN;
- LPF for LTE: 120 hz;
- front, central and surround speakers: SMALL.

3. I connected an RCA cable to the LINE IN "LEFT" input of the subwoofer and to the PRE OUT input (Subwoofer 1) of the Denon.

After setting the parameters mentioned above I started the automatic calibration of Audyssey XT32.
At the end of the automatic calibration I detected the following values:
- audyssey MultiEQXT32: on;
- audyssey Dynamic EQ: on;
- audyssey Dynamic Volume: off.

Speaker crossover:
- front: 40hz
- central: 40hz
- surround: 80hz

GAIN of the subwoofer: 9 am

levels:
- Front L: -1.5db
- Front R: -1.5db
- Central: -1.0db
- Surround R: 0.0db
- Surround L: -0.5db
- subwoofer: -0.5db

Speaker distances:
- Front L: 2.67 meters
- Front R: 2.58 meters
- Central: 2.46 meters
- subwoofer: 7.41 meters
- Surround L: 1.56 meters
- Surround R: 1.41 meters.

I accepted all the automatic calibration settings except for the crossover frequencies: I set all the speakers (excluding the subwoofer) to 80 hz.
Did I do everything correctly?

Deal with the Bass Management prior to running the calibration and not before it. THe AV receiver will simply erase those settings and ignore them if you run the calibration.

This should have been done prior to running the AV receiver's calibration process. You need to do things in this order:

1. Configure the sub's own settings
  2. Run the AV receiver's calibration process
  3. Deal with and configure the AV receiver's bass management

As to the sub's own cnfiguration. Set it volume dial to about one third, set phase to 0° and set the frequency dial as high as it allows or to a dedicated LFE setting option if there is one. AS said, these settings all need to be done prior to running the calibration and should not be altered aftward unless you intend to rerun the calibration again.

After tha calibration, set all speakers as being SMALL and set all crossover as being 80Hz.

I'd suggest you leave Dynamic EQ off and set the subwoofer setting to just LFE and not LFE + MAIN.

thank you very much Dante!

1. During the calibration do I have to rotate (when audyssey asks me) the gain knob of the subwoofer to make sure that at the end of the calibration the subwoofer level is 0db or at most + 3db?

2. Last question: should I use the two sponges I found in the two holes of the subwoofer?

thank you very much Dante!

1. During the calibration do I have to rotate (when audyssey asks me) the gain knob of the subwoofer to make sure that at the end of the calibration the subwoofer level is 0db or at most + 3db?

2. Last question: should I use the two sponges I found in the two holes of the subwoofer?

The subwoofer's gain should be set at a level that results in the calibration setting it's level within the adjustable range. The closer you can get this to 0db then the better, but it doesn;t have to be exactly 0db.

The ports on the sub help it attain the lower frequencies, but can also result in noise associated with air flowing out of those ports. I'd try to leave the biungs out if possible.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but I just set up my AVR-X3500 and am trying to get Zone 2 to work. My set up is 5.1 in the main zone with amp assigned to Zone 2 for a set of 2-channel stereo speakers in another room using the remaining 2 surround back speakers. In addition, I have an amp plugged into Zone 2 pre-amp out using the component jacks for 2 additional 2-channel stereo rooms.

Using my cable box plugged into the HDMI, I am trying to get audio only to zone 2 while maintaining 5.1 sound in zone 1. The only way I’ve found to do this is to switch all speakers to PCM which changes the main zone to stereo only. Is there something I’m missing? Is this not possible with the AVR?

Thanks in advance.

If wanting to portray the same source in both the main and the second zone then you'd have to limit the audio to just 2 channels. The AV receiver doesn't include independant audio conversion for the second zone, but has to convert it or mix it down to be able to portray it in the second audio zone.

2-channel PCM signals are output from a device connected to the input source selected for ZONE2 and can be played back in ZONE2.

If you want to play back HDMI sources that wouldn't otherwise be encoded as 2 channel PCM in ZONE2 then you'd have to set “HDMI Audio” to “PCM”.

In such instances, the MAIN ZONE audio will also be converted to 2-channel PCM signals if the MAIN ZONE and ZONE2 are set to the same input source.

The subwoofer's gain should be set at a level that results in the calibration setting it's level within the adjustable range. The closer you can get this to 0db then the better, but it doesn;t have to be exactly 0db.

The ports on the sub help it attain the lower frequencies, but can also result in noise associated with air flowing out of those ports. I'd try to leave the biungs out if possible.

Thanks Dante, in fact I remembered that XTZ wrote to me:

""""If it has set it to negative value, ie. -6 dB or similar, the signal to the subwoofer is probably too weak to trigger it. Then you can lower the gain on the bit subwoofer, run the calibration again. Repeat lowering the gain until the value for the subwoofer output level is 0 dB or even up to +3 dB. This way, the receiver will be able to react.

Coming to the subwoofer is just a multiplier for the signal coming in. I know if you have lower gain on the subwoofer, but stronger signal from the subwoofer. I know you don't lose any power by lowering the gain, as long as you adjust the low level signal coming from the receiver."""

Do you agree Dante?

P.S.
what does biungs mean? sponge?
Not feeling any particular noise, so would you advise me not to use either of the sponges?

Do you agree Dante?

P.S.
what does biungs mean? sponge?
Not feeling any particular noise, so would you advise me not to use either of the sponges?

Yes, that would be conducive with what you'd experience.

Yes, the bungs are the sponge cylinders you were supplied to "bung" the ports on the sub with.

either that or they could be SpongeBob SqurePants's upper legs?

Last edited:
Is it mandatory to use the paper support or a tripod for the XT32 Audyssey microphone? Can the microphone be placed directly on the sofa at ear height?

It would be recommended that you use a mic stand of some description as opposed to placing the mic on soft firnishingg. Besides which, the mic need to be at your seated head height while the calibration is in progress and placing it on the seat of a sofa isn't your seated head heigh or is it?

Use a stand as oposed to not using one. You'll get more accurate results by utilising a stand than you'll get without using one.

above the headrest of the sofa I placed a small cardboard box. I placed the microphone on top of the cardboard box. The tip of the microphone is therefore at the height of my ear.

I read a guide on calibration. to avoid clipping problems it is advisable to slightly increase the gain of the subwoofer during calibration so as to obtain at the end of the calibration the level of the subwoofer equal to at least -6db.
There should be no problem switching on the subwoofer if the power is set to ALWAYS ON. What do you think about Dante?

There should be no reason the increase the gain during calibration. The AV receiver would simply make adjustments accordingly.

I'd suggest leaving a sub set to being always on as opposed to engaging an auto power mode.

Is it mandatory to use the paper support or a tripod for the XT32 Audyssey microphone? Can the microphone be placed directly on the sofa at ear height?
Get one of these, well worth the cost as you can position to calibration mic perfectly.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Get one of these, well worth the cost as you can position to calibration mic perfectly.

thanks for the advice. I can't find that object on amazon.it. Could this support be the same?

support microphone

support microphone

Last edited:
thanks for the advice. I can't find that object on amazon.it. Could this support be the same?

support microphone
It looks similar but doesn't seem to have the clamp to hold the mic on end of the boom. Search again, I'm pretty sure one with a clamp will be on there somewhere. Of course you could get that and tape the mic to the end of the boom.

I bought the support. Thank you very much for recommending me the product on amazon Italy

There should be no reason the increase the gain during calibration. The AV receiver would simply make adjustments accordingly.

I'd suggest leaving a sub set to being always on as opposed to engaging an auto power mode.

I'm redoing the calibration.
I set the gain of the diver at 12 o'clock before starting the calibration.
During the calibration Audyssey asks me to lower the gain of the subwoofer up to around 75 db. I turned the sub gain knob until I saw about 70 db on the TV screen.
I continued the calibration.
At the end of the calibration I noticed that the level of the sub is 0db.
All correct?

P.S. If in a specific situation I wanted to hear stronger basses I can manually change the level of the sub to + 2db (without obviously doing the calibration)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom